PDA

View Full Version : Life How'd you quit?

Pages : [1] 2

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 06:03 AM
Your addiction(s).....

Bowser
09-29-2008, 06:04 AM
Usually just trade one for the other.

petegz28
09-29-2008, 06:05 AM
I actually kept a pack of cigs with me in my car. This way I always knew I had them and it removed that jones feeling. Kept it at more of a "me vs the cig" and not freaking out cause I was out.

And my pot consumption increased significantly but I am tobacco free!!!! ROFL

Herzig
09-29-2008, 06:06 AM
I quit smoking a pack a day 13 and half years ago. I had smoked since I was 15 and quit when I was 24. I had help from the patch the first day. I think I just made up my mind to do it. I think you just have to occupy yourself with something positive and productive. For me, it was grad. school.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 06:11 AM
In all seriousness, guys. I have a huge drinking issue.. I have to figure this out.

petegz28
09-29-2008, 06:16 AM
In all seriousness, guys. I have a huge drinking issue.. I have to figure this out.

Battling an addiction is in its simplest form, retraining your body\mind.

Every time you get an urge for a drink start thinking about something else. And if possible do something like go for a walk or hit some pushups or something. Most cravings fade after 20-30 min.

Warn your loved ones as well that you will be moody. It doesn't happen overnight.

One day you will realize you have gone a week without a drink. And then logic will start to set in. If you can get through a week withouth a drink you can get through 2.

You just have to convince yourself that you can get by without it and enjoy life just as much.

But I know quiting smoking was tough. I started working out 3-4 times a week when I did and trying to hang out with women and others that did not smoke and dispised smoking hopefully.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 06:18 AM
Battling an addiction is in its simplest form, retraining your body\mind.

Every time you get an urge for a drink start thinking about something else. And if possible do something like go for a walk or hit some pushups or something. Most cravings fade after 20-30 min.

Warn your loved ones as well that you will be moody. It doesn't happen overnight.

One day you will realize you have gone a week without a drink. And then logic will start to set in. If you can get through a week withouth a drink you can get through 2.

You just have to convince yourself that you can get by without it and enjoy life just as much.

I quit for nine-yrs. once. But I know quiting smoking was tough. I started working out 3-4 times a week when I did and trying to hang out with women and others that did not smoke and dispised smoking hopefully.I quit for nine-yrs. once.

petegz28
09-29-2008, 06:24 AM
I quit for nine-yrs. once.

Then you know you can do it. If you can go 9 years you know it can be done. Do you want to quit drinking? I am sure the answer is yes and no. Yes you want too, no you feel like you cannot.

But you know you can. My old roommate did it. Took meeting a nice girl that helped him but told him he had to calm it down or he was out. He went through some tough times but it is under control now.

But it comes down to desire. Do you want it or don't ya? I seriously kept a pack of cigs in my car. Every other time I tried to quit was when I smoked the last cig of a pack. Then I would just be freaking out thinking about not having any cigs every time I'd drive by a gas station. So I kept a full pack in the car. Then when I got the urge I just told myself, "not right now". And it was a lot eaier since I actually did have some. I could focus more on not wanting one as opposed to jonesing cause I was out.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 06:27 AM
My situation is odd, I just keep abusing it and abusing it.... If I don't quit, I won't live long.

Demonpenz
09-29-2008, 06:27 AM
I do too the website I used to quit last time was soberrecovery.com I wish i could kick the booze for good but it tastes so good and I like to go off on la la drunkenland when I cant stand life

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 06:28 AM
I do too the website I used to quit last time was soberrecovery.com I wish i could kick the booze for good but it tastes so good and I like to go off on la la drunkenland when I cant stand life

that'd be me.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 06:30 AM

thanks by the way.

Demonpenz
09-29-2008, 06:34 AM
I have had my battles with the sauce for a year now. I could go on and on with it, but it comes down to, I think you need serious help to quit. When I quit my quality of life didn't really improve so I just went back to it. Depending on how bad it is (and it's always worse than you think) you may need real help. Unfortunately I can't just stop going to work to get into a real program but holy shit do I drink a alot. Not during the week because I have to work, but the weekend I Crack open the first one well before noon. If you are serious go to soberrecovery and call a local person before it gets to the point it ruins shit. I don't really have family down in KC so I just ****ing around with quitting every 6 months or so, then I realize i have more fun drinking. I am careful when I drink and never drive but you know you are a slave to the drug when you plan your whole day around it. I am like ok my keys are here my glasses are here time to start drinking (or using) as I call it. I call it using because it mine as well be tying off your arm for herione or some shit.

KCUnited
09-29-2008, 06:37 AM
In all seriousness you should try using your own vanity to combat your addiction. You're a fashionable guy, there's nothing hot about a drunk. There's nothing hot about being that guy with the vericose, pourous nose making a fool of himself. Think about the chicks and challenge yourself to make through life without a crutch. I'm not trying to quit drinking, but would like to curb it, I haven't had a drink in 3 weeks using this strategy.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 06:38 AM
I have had my battles with the sauce for a year now. I could go on and on with it, but it comes down to, I think you need serious help to quit. When I quit my quality of life didn't really improve so I just went back to it. Depending on how bad it is (and it's always worse than you think) you may need real help. Unfortunately I can't just stop going to work to get into a real program but holy shit do I drink a alot. Not during the week because I have to work, but the weekend I Crack open the first one well before noon. If you are serious go to soberrecovery and call a local person before it gets to the point it ruins shit. I don't really have family down in KC so I just ****ing around with quitting every 6 months or so, then I realize i have more fun drinking. I am careful when I drink and never drive but you know you are a slave to the drug when you plan your whole day around it. I am like ok my keys are here my glasses are here time to start drinking (or using) as I call it. I call it using because it mine as well be tying off your arm for herione or some shit.
That's pretty deep, man. No question. I sitting here shaking, this is ugly. I'm getting help, for sure.

Demonpenz
09-29-2008, 06:39 AM
all the mind games and shit and all, but if you have a serious addiction no amount of mind games is going keep it from coming in your body. the drug is just #1 in your life

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 06:40 AM
Maybe I shouldn't have created this thread. But sometimes I really learn a lot from this place. I sincerely appreciate the help.

Demonpenz
09-29-2008, 06:42 AM
The one thing I didn't like getting help is they would make you feel like shit. I know I ****ed up or I would be here I need something to laugh at or something to take that 100 pound gorilla of guilt off my back, but it just seems most programs show you what damage can be done from it first. The thing about it is most people never truely stop for good unless they are rock bottom. It's just hard

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 06:43 AM
The one thing I didn't like getting help is they would make you feel like shit. I know I ****ed up or I would be here I need something to laugh at or something to take that 100 pound gorilla of guilt off my back, but it just seems most programs show you what damage can be done from it first. The thing about it is most people never truely stop for good unless they are rock bottom. It's just hard

I know it is.

Moobs
09-29-2008, 06:45 AM
I'd reiterate some of what others have said. I think a lot of it comes down to really making up your mind. Unfortunately it sometimes takes something horrible to happen to you first for you to really make up your mind. Good luck man.

Moobs
09-29-2008, 06:49 AM
Also if you can get off to a good start on your way to sobriety I think you will find life more refreshing.

I don't know if you are a competitive person, but that's the way I tackle addictions, whether they be as simple as caffeine or something more serious. It's you (with family and friends) versus your addiction. And you can kick it's ass. Once you start having some success you will feel rejuvenated with life, IMO.

Demonpenz
09-29-2008, 06:55 AM
making your mind is the toughest for me. when i think of beer or anything I think of good times and relaxing and the way it makes me feel. I never truely want to let go of the drug, so I never truely give a good effort to quit. When I did quit it feels like someone died. Just a constant kick in the face by life. Nothing was good. The one thing I can look forward to the weekend was cracking open 30 of my closest friends (natty light) so I have managed the guilt and the anxiety by just saying "if it kills me it kills me" because for me I just don't have a good reason to quit, but on a side note if you go to alchohol boards you can see how closely people think with the drinking problem. Most people start by starting a thread "Do i have a drinking problem" or "am I a alchoholic" ok so if you are starting that thread or visiting a site you have a problem, but it always starts like "I ****ed some guy and now I feel bad, or I get way to drunk at parties" That is how the shit starts. The next part.. if you never get help is the same ****ing story. I got a DUI or I Fell down and hurt myself. You wouldn't believe how many drunks a year die just by falling down.

Demonpenz
09-29-2008, 06:56 AM
what I ment to put is on booze message boards you will see...and scare you how close people think alike

Bowser
09-29-2008, 06:58 AM
Simply Red and Demonpenz waxing phillosophic. It's a good day to buy a powerball ticket, or prepare for armageddon. Either.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 07:00 AM
making your mind is the toughest for me. when i think of beer or anything I think of good times and relaxing and the way it makes me feel. I never truely want to let go of the drug, so I never truely give a good effort to quit. When I did quit it feels like someone died. Just a constant kick in the face by life. Nothing was good. The one thing I can look forward to the weekend was cracking open 30 of my closest friends (natty light) so I have managed the guilt and the anxiety by just saying "if it kills me it kills me" because for me I just don't have a good reason to quit, but on a side note if you go to alchohol boards you can see how closely people think with the drinking problem. Most people start by starting a thread "Do i have a drinking problem" or "am I a alchoholic" ok so if you are starting that thread or visiting a site you have a problem, but it always starts like "I ****ed some guy and now I feel bad, or I get way to drunk at parties" That is how the shit starts. The next part.. if you never get help is the same ****ing story. I got a DUI or I Fell down and hurt myself. You wouldn't believe how many drunks a year die just by falling down.That scared the shit out of me.

petegz28
09-29-2008, 07:01 AM
My situation is odd, I just keep abusing it and abusing it.... If I don't quit, I won't live long.

I know where you are coming from. I don't know if you are ready to quit. That is a very personal decision. Everyone has their own reasons on why they want too and what motivates them.

Not being familiar with your specific situation, perhaps trying to moderate yourself off is an option?. I know when I quit smoking and I started working out my body finally just told me flat out it did not want cigs. But it took a while to get it out of my system.
I quite cold turkey but I know what you are saying. Whatever road you choose it won't be easy that much is for sure.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 07:02 AM
I know where you are coming from. I don't know if you are ready to quit. That is a very personal decision. Everyone has their own reasons on why they want too and what motivates them.

Not being familiar with your specific situation, perhaps trying to moderate yourself off is an option?. I know when I quit smoking and I started working out my body finally just told me flat out it did not want cigs. But it took a while to get it out of my system.
I quite cold turkey but I know what you are saying. Whatever road you choose it won't be easy that much is for sure.

Nope, I'm going cold-turkey, yet, AGAIN!

Demonpenz
09-29-2008, 07:02 AM
Simply Red and Demonpenz waxing phillosophic. It's a good day to buy a powerball ticket, or prepare for armageddon. Either.

Yeah I am dumb on here, but I am serious about alchohol problems. I have lost to many buddies from just depression and addiction. That poison will just own your life. I don't find much humor in people anymore that are like Dude i was sooooo wated the other day... or shit like that, because there are people that drink some beers in the garage and have a good time. Then there are people like me who are flat out drug abusers. Just chigging whiskey or beer trying to escape. It's wrong, it hurts others, and it will eventually kill you. What a dumbass reason to die

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 07:04 AM
Yeah I am dumb on here, but I am serious about alchohol problems. I have lost to many buddies from just depression and addiction. That poison will just own your life. I don't find much humor in people anymore that are like Dude i was sooooo wated the other day... or shit like that, because there are people that drink some beers in the garage and have a good time. Then there are people like me who are flat out drug abusers. Just chigging whiskey or beer trying to escape. It's wrong, it hurts others, and it will eventually kill you. What a dumbass reason to die

Exactly, I need help. I really do, otherwise I wouldn't have started this thread.

Bowser
09-29-2008, 07:05 AM
Yeah I am dumb on here,

No.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 07:07 AM
be nice, guys.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 07:07 AM
what can I do right now?

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 07:08 AM
Demon, Do you ever get that mania from your hangovers, I feel like the main character in Pi. It's just awful.

petegz28
09-29-2008, 07:08 AM
what can I do right now?

What do you want to do? Seriously.

Bowser
09-29-2008, 07:09 AM
Exactly, I need help. I really do, otherwise I wouldn't have started this thread.

Well, sounds like you know you have a problem, and they say that's the hardest part. I haven't dealt with issues like these, so I can't give you a concrete plan of attack. My addictions, unfortunately, lean more towards me just being lazy. Addictions are habit forming, but so's the cure, in my experience.

You sound like a prideful guy. Use that to your advantage in this case.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 07:09 AM
What do you want to do? Seriously.
I want to get right with god. Seriously.

Bowser
09-29-2008, 07:10 AM
Demon, Do you ever get that mania from your hangovers, I feel like the main character in Pi. It's just awful.

The movie Pi? Wow, never thought I'd see that referenced.

Bowser
09-29-2008, 07:10 AM

Get right with yourself first.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 07:11 AM

It's weird man, It's seriously deep. I HATE IT! But, it only happens when severely hung-over.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 07:11 AM
Get right with yourself first.

I will.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 07:12 AM
okay, now that I've completely spilled my guts, How bout them CHIEFS!

Bowser
09-29-2008, 07:13 AM
My natural smartass tendencies wanted me to start posting silly shit on this thread from the first. SR and Demon usually are good comedic paradies on this board, so I wasn't sure just how serious this thread is/was.

Simply Red
Thanks all.

Bowser
It's weird man, It's seriously deep. I HATE IT! But, it only happens when severely hung-over.

I felt hung over after I watched it.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-29-2008, 07:14 AM
Best of luck in your path to recovery, SR.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 07:14 AM
My natural smartass tendencies wanted me to start posting silly shit on this thread from the first. SR and Demon usually are good comedic paradies on this board, so I wasn't sure just how serious this thread is/was.

It's all good, It needed a little humor.

beach tribe
09-29-2008, 07:15 AM
I've had to kick just about every drug there is at one point. I had to leave a certain city to kick a couple of them completely.

The hardest by far. Roxis.

The easiest. Coke.

I'm really glad I turned it around at about 27. LIfe's good now. Drugs are dumb. Quit'em if you've got a habbit. And don't believe the psyco babble. Addiction is NOT a disease. It's a choice, and that's how you quit. You choose not to do it anymore. Is it hard as ****?.....yes, but it's possible.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 07:16 AM
I've had to kick just about every drug there is at one point. I had to leave a certain city to kick a couple of them completely.

The hardest by far. Roxis.

The easiest. Coke.

I'm really glad I turned it around at about 27. LIfe's good now. Drugs are dumb. Quit'em if you've got a habbit. And don't believe the psyco babble. Addiction is NOT a disease. It's a choice, and that's how you quit. You choose not to do it anymore. Is it hard as ****?.....yes, but it's possible.

You didn't like Miami?

Bowser
Roxis?

Simply Red
jk, thanks

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 07:18 AM
yeah bt, wtf is roxis?

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-29-2008, 07:19 AM
WTF is roxis?

petegz28
09-29-2008, 07:19 AM

Well as the saying goes, God helps those.....sorry just trying to add some humor to a otherwise very serious situation.

Try this, right now ....get up from the computer and go take a walk for about 10 or 15. I don't care if it is still raining or notm get an umbrella. Go outside, look at nature. See life around you. Take a moment and appreciate what is what and our (humans) place in the world. Then talk yourself in the 3rd person. I want you to literally talk to yourself and giver yourself the adivce you know that yourself needs. You hold all the correct answers. Any help you get is just in reality helping you arive to them. So turn to yourself for advice first and foremost, cause no one knows what you are going through better than you do.

That is how I get in touch with "God". By looking at life around me and beyond the human being. The plants, the grass, the trees, the animals, the air, the wind, the sky.......let your emotional turmoil be taken by all that is God and very much all around you.

As you walk and look take some deep breaths and let the emoitonal turmoil I know you have be taken up by all that is around you. It is very good for grounding and centering yourself. Once you sort of "calm down" for lack of a better phrase, and that itch is not quite as bad then have the 3rd person conversation with yourself.

If you cannot go for a walk just sit on the floor, eyes closed, relax, no music, no tv, just breath in deeply through your nose, hold it for a few secs...then exhale slowly 4 or 5 times and listen to your breathing.

After a few times keep doing it then imagine the cravings and desires you want to be gone moving into the ground. Do this for about 10-15 min to start.

When you get up or come back from your walk, you may still want a drink but you will also know why you aren't going to have it. And you will feel good about it. :D

beach tribe
09-29-2008, 07:22 AM
Roxicett. The best painkiller known to man. My DOC.

morphius
09-29-2008, 07:23 AM
I'm going to warn you, going cold turkey can be very dangerous and it can get to a point that it can kill you. So be careful and my suggestion is that you should talk to your Dr.

beach tribe
Roxicet I mean.

Simply Red
I'm going to warn you, going cold turkey can be very dangerous and it can get to a point that it can kill you. So be careful and my suggestion is that you should talk to your Dr.

ok.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-29-2008, 07:24 AM
Roxicett. The best painkiller known to man. My DOC.

Ahh...Hillbilly Heroin.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 07:25 AM
This serious shit here, I really appreciate everybody.

petegz28
09-29-2008, 07:25 AM

It can also cost you your job. It almost cost me mine when I quit smoking cause of my mood swings.

Thankfully when I told my boss what was going on in life, she put her finger on it and cut me some slack.

beach tribe
09-29-2008, 07:26 AM
You didn't like Miami?

Actually Nashville. Everyone I knew had something for me. I had to leave to escape it. It's a lot harder to quit anything when all of your friends are knee deep in it.

beach tribe
09-29-2008, 07:26 AM
Ahh...Hillbilly Heroin.

Yep.

Mecca
09-29-2008, 07:29 AM
A friend of mine, has all sorts of issues been to rehab still does it, he will say he either likes it or is easily addicted then he said to me that I don't understand. When I was in high school and a little after I did alot of dumb shit but I never got addicted to anything, I never had to have it I could do something stop never do it again.

He explained to me that "people like him and people in rehab hate people like me because I make something so difficult look so easy" I felt that was a copout response but I'm not in those shoes so I can't say 100%.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 07:31 AM
A friend of mine, has all sorts of issues been to rehab still does it, he will say he either likes it or is easily addicted then he said to me that I don't understand. When I was in high school and a little after I did alot of dumb shit but I never got addicted to anything, I never had to have it I could do something stop never do it again.

He explained to me that "people like him and people in rehab hate people like me because I make something so difficult look so easy" I felt that was a copout response but I'm not in those shoes so I can't say 100%.

Clarify?

Mecca
09-29-2008, 07:32 AM
Clarify?

Which part?

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 07:34 AM
Which part?

let me read through it again.

beach tribe
09-29-2008, 07:36 AM

Addiction runs in my family, and I can say without a doubt, from my experiences with drugs, that people don't fail to stop doing drugs, because they can't, but because deep down inside, they don't REALLY want to. It's really sad. They will lie, and do anything possible to convince you that they want to stop, but they don't, and unfortunately, the doctors give them the ultimate cop out by telling them they have a disease, and then everytime they "fail", they can just blame it on this "disease". Truth is, they like doing it, and don't care what the consequences are, but they want everyone to think that they just want to stop sooooo bad.

morphius
09-29-2008, 07:36 AM
ok.
Sadly the only other advice I can give you is AA, I have been to a few events with some family members and if you find the right meetings there are actually some pretty cool people in there.

Luckily I'm one of those people who learns from others mistakes, generally, so I never fell into any of that.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 07:37 AM
Sadly the only other advice I can give you is AA, I have been to a few events with some family members and if you find the right meetings there are actually some pretty cool people in there.

noted.

Mecca
09-29-2008, 07:38 AM
Addiction runs in my family, and I can say without a doubt, from my experiences with drugs, that people don't fail to stop doing drugs, because they can't, but because deep down inside, they don't REALLY want to. It's really sad. They will lie, and do anything possible to convince you that they want to stop, but they don't, and unfortunately, the doctors give them the ultimate cop out by telling them they have a disease, and then everytime they "fail", they can just blame it on this "disease". Truth is, they like doing it, and don't care what the consequences are, but they want everyone to think that they just want to stop sooooo bad.

I went from a guy who did a bunch of retarded shit, of course I never did it by myself either so I was never that far into it, to what I am now where I don't even drink.

Demonpenz
09-29-2008, 07:39 AM

yeah although my mania is probably more depression related. Are you nervous pacing and feel like impending doom is upon you? I get horrible spells hungover or not where I feel like what almost happened really happened case in example. I wasn't drinking this night but I moved a friend in and I was just dropping shit all over the place and I almost set a microwave down on his newborn that was sleeping on the floor. I was like oh shit that was close. Later on drinking and all that I woke up in the middle of the night and I litterally felt like I dropped a microwave on the kid. I still let alittle guilt seep in when I am hungover but I try to stay positive. The worst is driving. I don't drink and drive but for some reason even like the next day I drank yesterday but going to work today I just feel bad for even driving. The shame, guilt, and just disaster feeling is worse than anything else. When you have depression bad enough you can understand why people blow thier brains out.

beach tribe
09-29-2008, 07:51 AM
I went from a guy who did a bunch of retarded shit, of course I never did it by myself either so I was never that far into it, to what I am now where I don't even drink.

Yeah, I've been addicted to things. My mother is an addict. So I talk from experience. I've been to rehab, and the things those people tell you, are exactly what creates the lifelong addict.

#1 they tell you once an addict always an addict. (BS)

#2 they tell you it's a disease. (BS)

They give you all these excuses to not take responsibility for the fact that your just a junky who wants to do drugs all the time. I never bought into all that crap, and new I was just a dirtbag, and I think that's the reason that I was able to leave it all behind.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-29-2008, 07:54 AM
Yeah, I've been addicted to things. My mother is an addict. So I talk from experience. I've been to rehab, and the things those people tell you, are exactly what creates the lifelong addict.

#1 they tell you once an addict always an addict. (BS)

#2 they tell you it's a disease. (BS)

They give you all these excuses to not take responsibility for the fact that your just a junky who wants to do drugs all the time. I never bought into all that crap, and new I was just a dirtbag, and I think that's the reason that I was able to leave it all behind.

Just a comment

There is a pretty strongly established causal connection between addiction along family lines, even if the children did not grow up with the parent (or parents) who are addicts.

Mecca
09-29-2008, 07:54 AM
I never went to any rehab I just decided I wasn't really having any fun that way and I didn't need to do that anymore.

It's funny to tell that to people who know me now, they'd never realize it, one time I was telling this story about how when I was 17 me and this girl I dated would do coke and stay up for 3 days at a time, and they just look at me stunned.

Mecca
09-29-2008, 07:55 AM
Just a comment

There is a pretty strongly established causal connection between addiction along family lines, even if the children did not grow up with the parent (or parents) who are addicts.

That's pretty much what I mean when I say I can't relate to those shoes I don't have those genes and I would have considered myself a casual user nothing more.

NewChief
09-29-2008, 07:58 AM
Actually Nashville. Everyone I knew had something for me. I had to leave to escape it. It's a lot harder to quit anything when all of your friends are knee deep in it.

That's very true. That's always been my strategy for quitting anything in the past. If I'm not around drugs, I don't do them. The problem is that booze is legal and available anywhere, so it's a little harder to isolate oneself from it. Still, if I wanted to quit, I'd stop hanging around all my friends who drink. It would suck, but that would be my first step.

Mecca
09-29-2008, 07:59 AM
That's very true. That's always been my strategy for quitting anything in the past. If I'm not around drugs, I don't do them. The problem is that booze is legal and available anywhere, so it's a little harder to isolate oneself from it. Still, if I wanted to quit, I'd stop hanging around all my friends who drink. It would suck, but that would be my first step.

Well do they put out?

beach tribe
09-29-2008, 08:01 AM
Just a comment

I know. It's the reason that I got so deep into drugs I think. It's a family trait I believe. Not a hereditary disease.

The point I'm trying to make is that kicking drugs is a choice. You CAN stop. I'm living proof. Don't buy into the shit they tell you about what addiction is. That's how it gets you for life. I've seen it a lot of times. As soon as they go to that psychiatrist, and he convinces them they are sick with a disease....it's all over.
Then he writes them a perscription for some shit, and a lifelong addict is born.

Consistent1
09-29-2008, 08:02 AM
I have been having problems again also. It is hard shit to deal with. I met my wife almost 3 years ago, and I was doing great then. Looked like an NFL strong safety type and pretty much had things together. Then we chose to get married. Weddings and planning with the mother in law are awful. We have family issues with a father (I am the step-father) that is a 100% ass and doesn't like paying his child support because he lost in court. Now, it is coming back on us again. Most likely going to have to go to court over this again. I didn't even know how bad it was until the past year. Our daughter is on Adderall and is a complete space monkey almost all the time. I have also had several issues myself recently, including no income. Credit stuff building up, loss of faith in many things, etc. That makes for one pissed off wife, let me tell ya. They are usually pissed about something anyway, but hey. lol I could go on and on, but you get the idea. Good luck to you. I am sitting here at this time with two Keystone Lights sitting in front of me. I feel ya man.

Mr. Plow
09-29-2008, 08:03 AM
I drink too much and I chew. Going to quit chewing....AGAIN....starting Oct. 1. I quit for a year and just started chewing again for some stupid reason....once I got back to over 1 can a day, I realized I needed to quit if for no other reason than for my kids.

I don't drink a lot, but I drink often enough that I'm concerned. You know, a couple beers a night. Maybe I shouldn't be all the concerned because I don't sit around and get drunk, but just the fact that I feel like I want to have a couple beers every night kind of concerns me.

morphius
09-29-2008, 08:05 AM
Still, if I wanted to quit, I'd stop hanging around all my friends who drink. It would suck, but that would be my first step.

I think that is where AA comes in handy, it gets you away from that group of friends and gives you a group of people to make friends from.

Mecca
09-29-2008, 08:06 AM
Chewing is a really disgusting habit...even as a dude it makes me disgusted.

Brock
09-29-2008, 08:07 AM

Butch up.

Mr. Plow

Trust me...I agree. We have some butch ass lady at my work that chews. Talk about disgusting.

Bwana
Good Luck SR, If you put you mind to it and really want to do it, you will get through it.

Consistent1
I think that is where AA comes in handy, it gets you away from that group of friends and gives you a group of people to make friends from.

People, places, and things is what they call it. Meetings can be good, but there are entirely too many way crazy people for me to deal with that all the time. There are good people, but most are not really trustworthy.

NewChief
09-29-2008, 08:09 AM
I drink too much and I chew. Going to quit chewing....AGAIN....starting Oct. 1. I quit for a year and just started chewing again for some stupid reason....once I got back to over 1 can a day, I realized I needed to quit if for no other reason than for my kids.

I don't drink a lot, but I drink often enough that I'm concerned. You know, a couple beers a night. Maybe I shouldn't be all the concerned because I don't sit around and get drunk, but just the fact that I feel like I want to have a couple beers every night kind of concerns me.

The wife is on me to quit dipping again as well.

Mecca
09-29-2008, 08:09 AM
Trust me...I agree. We have some butch ass lady at my work that chews. Talk about disgusting.

A friend of mine does it...he always has bottles and cans full of spit around it's just gross.

Mecca
09-29-2008, 08:10 AM
The wife is on me to quit dipping again as well.

I'd rather have someone smoke and blow it in my face and I'm a non smoker than watch someone dip and spit, that's how much it bugs me.

Mr. Plow
09-29-2008, 08:11 AM
A friend of mine does it...he always has bottles and cans full of spit around it's just gross.

Yup. I've been doing it for so long that it doesn't bother me, but I can see why it would bother anyone else.

NewChief
09-29-2008, 08:11 AM

That is really, really gross. Those things get absolutely rank, but I was certainly guilty of it in college. Now I'm very "clean" in my dipping. Usually do it when I'm outside. When I'm inside, I have a glass jar that I spit in, and I clean it out every night. Still a gross habit.

Consistent1
09-29-2008, 08:15 AM
That is really, really gross. Those things get absolutely rank, but I was certainly guilty of it in college. Now I'm very "clean" in my dipping. Usually do it when I'm outside. When I'm inside, I have a glass jar that I spit in, and I clean it out every night. Still a gross habit.

I get a can of dip about once a month. It's not a big habit, but the wife hates it. I keep it as clean as possible and many times buy those pouches. That stuff, like everything, is getting to be expensive as hell.

Demonpenz
09-29-2008, 08:18 AM
I am not a huge fan of AA

Phobia
09-29-2008, 08:22 AM
I've quit tobacco more times than I can count, sometimes with months and even multiple years of being "clean". But I've always put myself into situations to be roped back into the addiction.

I quit again Saturday. Dumped my remaining cans and just quit.

Mecca
09-29-2008, 08:23 AM
Chewing seems to be more popular than I ever imagined it was.

RJ
09-29-2008, 08:26 AM

That's good advice. I've seen the results of that and it ain't pretty.

chasedude
09-29-2008, 08:27 AM

Wow that must be the mother of all hangovers. Don't shave your head Red.

Redrum_69
09-29-2008, 08:33 AM
Your addiction(s).....

i got married

NewChief
09-29-2008, 08:36 AM
I've quit tobacco more times than I can count, sometimes with months and even multiple years of being "clean". But I've always put myself into situations to be roped back into the addiction.

I quit again Saturday. Dumped my remaining cans and just quit.

Working manual labor, it would be very, very hard for me to quit. I don't chew all day, since I teach, but I usually have a few after work. A can lasts me a couple of weeks now. When I've worked manual labor in the past, I could do a can in a few days.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 08:44 AM
My avatar is not sarcastic. I'm putting all I've got to be closer to him. I'm not even joking.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 08:57 AM
Is anyone else interested giving it up completely? If so; we can work together.. Just an idear...

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 09:01 AM
If it's tempting, than you need to go ahead and join me.

Moobs

I think that's the tough part of getting into the whole bar/social thing. Quitting will mean you have to cut some ties with people you may like, due to the fact that anything social they do revolves around alcohol.

Simply Red
I really care about each and every one of you. Demon? You in?

MOhillbilly
09-29-2008, 09:03 AM
my dad said he was gonna quit the cigs. started smoking cheap cigars. said he was gonna quit drinking, drank twice as hard when hed fall of the wagon. his brain went pop at 51.

my advice. if moderation doesnt work for you,its time for a 'come to jesus' meeting with what kinda man you are and where your life is headed.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 09:05 AM
my dad said he was gonna quit the cigs. started smoking cheap cigars. said he was gonna quit drinking, drank twice as hard when hed fall of the wagon. his brain went pop at 51.

my advice. if moderation doesnt work for you,its time for a 'come to jesus' meeting with what kinda man you are and where your life is headed.

That's what I'm doing. What's this moderation thing? Ryan has never seen it. And I know you were close to your pops, brother. I also know that you're not over him. If you ever need anything feeel free to call me.

Phobia
09-29-2008, 09:05 AM
One of my carpenters participates in AA, NA, and now "Living Free".

See if you can find a Living Free program in your neck of the woods. http://www.livingfree.org/meetinglocations2.cfm?mode=findchurch

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 09:10 AM
One of my carpenters participates in AA, NA, and now "Living Free".

See if you can find a Living Free program in your neck of the woods. http://www.livingfree.org/meetinglocations2.cfm?mode=findchurch

Thanks, she recommended Calvary Assembly Of God.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 09:15 AM
silence is deafining.

Braincase
09-29-2008, 09:29 AM
I smoked grass for a long time. I then just made up my mind to quit. I got rid of all the paraphernalia, and quit going to the places that increased my temptation. Grass is pretty easy compared to some other addictions, but if you have kids, keep a picture of 'em handy and ask yourself if you want to see them mirroring your behavior. We all want better things for our kids, and it should start with getting them a better version of the parent you are now.

morphius
09-29-2008, 09:33 AM
Is anyone else interested giving it up completely? If so; we can work together.. Just an idear...
I'd give it up, but really, kicking my ~2-4 drink a year habit is really too much to ask from one person, lol.

Now soda on the other hand, dear lord, I decided to cut down on that just last week. If I liked coffee at all it would be an easier habit to break.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 09:38 AM
I'd give it up, but really, kicking my ~2-4 drink a year habit is really too much to ask from one person, lol.

Now soda on the other hand, dear lord, I decided to cut down on that just last week. If I liked coffee at all it would be an easier habit to break.

Switch to diet. Sugar is da debil.

Midnight_Vulture
09-29-2008, 09:40 AM
Lucky for me I dont have any smoking cigs addictions. I cant believe someone would start up on that.

I do go out almost every night looking for tail and getting drunk, but other than that...

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 09:43 AM
Lucky for me I dont have any smoking cigs addictions. I cant believe someone would start up on that.

I do go out almost every night looking for tail and getting drunk, but other than that...

ROFL

Midnight_Vulture
09-29-2008, 09:54 AM
I will say this though I am addicted to H20. Personally I think thats a good addiction though.

http://i309.photobucket.com/albums/kk399/Niblet2008/heath8.jpg

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 09:56 AM
I will say this though I am addicted to H20. Personally I think thats a good addiction though.

Yep, I'm basically trying to piss out the poisons today. I'm going for a long walk @ lunchtime.

MOhillbilly
09-29-2008, 09:57 AM
That's what I'm doing. What's this moderation thing? Ryan has never seen it. And I know you were close to your pops, brother. I also know that you're not over him. If you ever need anything feeel free to call me.
moderation is the logic behind, walking the line & toe the mark.

its what men do, in troubled times.

god knows im a rounder. i love to drink,gamble,smoke,chase women,fight all forms of vice make me come alive.

but then ive got friends and family to think about,but it boils down to me.

if youve got enough sence to know your about to step off in that hole, you got enough strength to stear clear.

nuff said.

chasedude
09-29-2008, 10:00 AM

:spock:

Demonpenz
09-29-2008, 10:01 AM
that shit leaving your body su*******s. I get really nausous and will take a dramimine and it helps because the shit you go through with withdrawl is the same as motion sickness.

Bowser
09-29-2008, 10:03 AM

You should try CO2. I hear it really mellows you out.

Demonpenz
i also hate the fact that it seems like I can't let go what happened during the work week unless I drink. When I was sober for those months the weekends just seemed to suck ass too. All I would think about was work

morphius
Switch to diet. Sugar is da debil.
I'm already on the diet, lol.

Phobia
09-29-2008, 10:04 AM
moderation is the logic behind, walking the line & toe the mark.

its what men do, in troubled times.

god knows im a rounder. i love to drink,gamble,smoke,chase women,fight all forms of vice make me come alive.

but then ive got friends and family to think about,but it boils down to me.

if youve got enough sence to know your about to step off in that hole, you got enough strength to stear clear.

nuff said.

You should be billing $125 an hour for this stuff.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 10:04 AM
that shit leaving your body su*******s. I get really nausous and will take a dramimine and it helps because the shit you go through with withdrawl is the same as motion sickness.

I just sweat normally, when I lay it down.

Demonpenz
09-29-2008, 10:11 AM
you'll be all about quitting when you feel like shit, the true test is when you feel good. can you stop yourself from ****ing it all up

beach tribe
09-29-2008, 10:14 AM

HAH!! My new haircut.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 10:18 AM
you'll be all about quitting when you feel like shit, the true test is when you feel good. can you stop yourself from ****ing it all up

very true, why don't you join me?

tooge
09-29-2008, 10:48 AM
Sounds like you have already done the hardest part from what I understand with any addiction, and that is admit you have it. I think denial is the reason so many people go on for years before getting help. Maybe you need to "change your playground" as they say. Perhaps you are hanging with people that are enablers. It really starts with you wanting to change. If you dont really want to, you cant. Is it easy if you want to? Hell no, but it starts there. Hanging with friends that ask if they can buy you a beer cause it has been a bad day isn't good. Maybe a visit with your physician would be a good place to start. Ask if they have any advice. You are probably depressed dude.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 10:51 AM
Sounds like you have already done the hardest part from what I understand with any addiction, and that is admit you have it. I think denial is the reason so many people go on for years before getting help. Maybe you need to "change your playground" as they say. Perhaps you are hanging with people that are enablers. It really starts with you wanting to change. If you dont really want to, you cant. Is it easy if you want to? Hell no, but it starts there. Hanging with friends that ask if they can buy you a beer cause it has been a bad day isn't good. Maybe a visit with your physician would be a good place to start. Ask if they have any advice. You are probably depressed dude.

Maybe, I'm going to chang my playground.

That's for sure. I think church is the recipe that im looking for.

Donger
09-29-2008, 11:01 AM

Please tell me that you are intentionally attempting to be a caricature.

Fairplay
09-29-2008, 11:01 AM
How many beers would you drink a day SR?

L.A. Chieffan
09-29-2008, 11:02 AM
I'll quit with you SR, until tonight.

KCChiefsMan
09-29-2008, 11:02 AM
I decided to stop drinking so much. I got WoW and have been a gamer nerd instead of a drunk the last 2 weeks so I hope to keep this up

Demonpenz
09-29-2008, 11:04 AM
very true, why don't you join me?

sounds ok to me. Day 1. The week has never been hard for me it's that damn weekend when the party is cracking

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 11:05 AM
How many beers would you drink a day SR?

minimum-5 most weekends - 20 all day. Not good and downright embarassing. But that's why I've gone public. I've tried in once over at Phil's sight... I'm doing it here, and I'm going to quit this time.

Donger
09-29-2008, 11:06 AM
minimum-5 most weekends - 20 all day. Not good and downright embarassing. But that's why I've gone public. I've tried in once over at Phil's sight... I'm doing it here, and I'm going to quit this time.

My God. Good luck, SR.

Moobs
09-29-2008, 11:18 AM
I decided to stop drinking so much. I got WoW and have been a gamer nerd instead of a drunk the last 2 weeks so I hope to keep this up

ROFL WoW is my anti-beer as well.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 11:21 AM
My God. Good luck, SR.

Hey, this isn't a pretty-thread, I was not proud typing that. I'm a survivor though. I'm getting through this w/ God. I'm not even joking!

Fairplay
09-29-2008, 11:23 AM
I was flipping through channels last week sometime. And on MTV they had some show (real life) where it showed this 22 year old kid just get drunk all day. Being all stupid and stuff. He lived at home.

Anyway his dad said he drank about a liter of vodka everyday.

Would that be about a fifth? I don't know my measurements/conversion chart.

But thats a lot. Then i flipped the channels more, because MTV sucks anyway.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 11:42 AM
This is the last time I will say this, But thank you very much everybody.

Deberg_1990
09-29-2008, 11:48 AM

Good luck to you SR. I hope you conquer your demons.

morphius
09-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Just please don't forget the Dr thing I was talking about, the last person I knew who tried to kick it, also had the shakes issue, but ended up collapsing and they had to call the ambulance to take them in. The nurse just scolded him telling him that it was lucky he didn't kill himself.

tooge
09-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Church is a good way to go, but remember, there are drunks there too. The most important thing is for you to get professional help and only hang with folks that really care more about your health than the fun they have

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Just please don't forget the Dr thing I was talking about, the last person I knew who tried to kick it, also had the shakes issue, but ended up collapsing and they had to call the ambulance to take them in. The nurse just scolded him telling him that it was lucky he didn't kill himself.

okay...

Demonpenz
09-29-2008, 12:11 PM
that is for being addicted like 3 or four servings a day.

chagrin
09-29-2008, 12:28 PM
I do too the website I used to quit last time was soberrecovery.com

pretty good website

chagrin
09-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Red, rock bottom, hit it and you will be over it - I sincerely hope you hit it before your health deteriorates too badly.
Bless you

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Red, rock bottom, hit it and you will be over it - I sincerely hope you hit it before your health deteriorates too badly.
Bless you

TY, I know you've been here. ;)

Midnight_Vulture
09-29-2008, 01:10 PM
Damn SR you got some mad problems. I would look into AA if I was you.

I did in fact get a little F-ed up this weekend though. Here is me Fri night.:thumb:

http://i309.photobucket.com/albums/kk399/Niblet2008/heath7.jpg

luv
09-29-2008, 01:12 PM
With as many pictures as MV posts of himself, you'd think he was here trying to pick up one of you guys. He must have money going for him, because he's not cute (he looks like a dumbass), and he certainly isn't smart.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 01:13 PM
he doesnt bother me, really.

Redrum_69
09-29-2008, 01:14 PM
because he's not cute (he looks like a dumbass), and he certainly isn't smart.

since when were those necessary for you...

Midnight_Vulture
09-29-2008, 01:15 PM
With as many pictures as MV posts of himself, you'd think he was here trying to pick up one of you guys. He must have money going for him, because he's not cute (he looks like a dumbass), and he certainly isn't smart.

Lets see a pic of you and see how "cute" you are....

You have to resort to meeting strange men over the internet and you are clowning on ME??? PLLLLLEAAAASEROFL

Demonpenz
09-29-2008, 01:15 PM
nice body midnight vulture

Midnight_Vulture
09-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Alright I changed my avatar since it was offending everyone. No more flicking people off LOL.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Alright I changed my avatar since it was offending everyone. No more flicking people off LOL.

It's Stevo! WTF!

luv
09-29-2008, 02:52 PM
Lets see a pic of you and see how "cute" you are....

You have to resort to meeting strange men over the internet and you are clowning on ME??? PLLLLLEAAAASEROFL

I never claimed to be cute. And you're going on ignore.

luv
09-29-2008, 02:52 PM
since when were those necessary for you...

I took you off ignore to see if you'd grown up any. Apprently not, so back you go as well.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Okay, so I spoke with this lady friend of mine today. First time in weeks, She said she had to go to a viewing. I asked about it, her roommates girlfriend died in a car wreck last week. You know what happened? The driver of the car she was in was driving drunk.

I found that odd, after not talking to her in a while.

chasedude
09-29-2008, 04:09 PM
Having candy around you will help too Red.

Baby Lee
09-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Watched Fireproof. ;)

Fairplay
09-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Church is a good way to go, but remember, there are drunks there too.

Like catholics.

I remember the priest gulping down the wine during church like he dying of thirst. Gulp, gulp gulp. I thought wow, this guys getting into it.

beach tribe
09-29-2008, 04:18 PM

Check out the protein.

"Ma!! I told you to get me more protein!!!

"POOOWWWEERRR BAAARRRS!!"

Buck
09-29-2008, 04:36 PM
SR, I just stumbled upon this thread after talking to you.

I don't have the wisdom that many people do, I'm only 22 years old.

However, I believe that AA is the best possible thing for you. My brother (17) has started to go to NA, and it has worked for him. Its easier to let people you don't know at first to know about your problems, than it is to tell your family/friends/etc. Also, you will find people who have the same struggles as you and together you will be able to work it out.

Also, I would recommend at least bi-weekly visits to a place of worship, if you really want to end this.

Personally, I have been addicted to Tobacco, and Marijuana at certain points of my life. I smoked cigarettes for a year and a half, and just quite, cold turkey. I felt bad for a few days, but since then I've never felt better.

Same with MJ, I always convinced myself that I wasn't addicted, but I obviously was. Cold-Turkey quit that too.

Alcohol is a whole other monster though. Not to sound harsh, but if you really want to quit, you need to get up, and go get help. Do not just let this thing swallow you, while you are still competent enough to get out of it.

I'll say a prayer for you, and hope you decide to do the right thing.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Thanks

J Diddy
09-29-2008, 05:06 PM
I just stopped. I told myself that quitting wasn't gonna be harder than dying from cancer. So I just quit.

Spott
09-29-2008, 05:07 PM

Your avatar wasn't offensive. You being a complete tool all the time was.

L.A. Chieffan
09-29-2008, 05:09 PM
SR, I don't want you to fall of the wagon, but that's a very nice chardonnay you're not drinking.

beach tribe
09-29-2008, 05:17 PM

No you changed your av because someone said you looked like white trash. Please show me post where someone said they were offended.

Damn your such a fake ass tool.

MIAdragon
09-29-2008, 05:18 PM
No you changed your av because someone said you looked like white trash. Please show me post where someone said they were offended.

ROFL

Spott
09-29-2008, 05:20 PM

Now he just looks like a dude wearing a pair of those big sunglasses that the teenie bopper girsl wear.

MIAdragon
09-29-2008, 05:22 PM
I don’t k now if its been mentioned yet but you should really consider heading to therapy/counseling. The majority of the time there is a reason we do shit like this and until you figure out what that is and come to terms with it, it doesn’t matter how many times you stop, the root of the problem is always there readying you for a relapse. It really takes some balls to put this out there, I hope it ends well for you.

Fairplay
09-29-2008, 05:39 PM
I really don't want this thread derailed much because of the seriousness of SR's situation. But i'm glad Midnight_Vulture changed his avatar.

I do think he has been getting better in his posting etiquette.

Just give him a chance. And MV. Try not to be to rude in your postings.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 05:48 PM
I really don't want this thread derailed much because of the seriousness of SR's situation. But i'm glad Midnight_Vulture changed his avatar.

I do think he has been getting better in his posting etiquette.

Just give him a chance. And MV. Try not to be to rude in your postings.

I agree,

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 05:50 PM
SR, I don't want you to fall of the wagon, but that's a very nice chardonnay you're not drinking.

:Pinky:

I always choose soda w/ little or no alcohol, because alcohol makes one mad.

Brianfo
09-29-2008, 05:51 PM

I have tried so many times to quit cold turkey. I am on board with you man. I started a thread a couple years ago about being a drunk and there were some awesome responses in that thread about what it takes. More than anything, you have to do it for yourself. I am just sick and tired of being sick and tired. My children are also to the age, that I know they are very impressionable and I don't want them to become me.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-29-2008, 05:53 PM
:Pinky:

I always choose soda w/ little or no alcohol, because alcohol makes one mad.

It also makes you look older. No more 9ers for you.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 05:54 PM
I have tried so many times to quit cold turkey. I am on board with you man. I started a thread a couple years ago about being a drunk and there were some awesome responses in that thread about what it takes. More than anything, you have to do it for yourself. I am just sick and tired of being sick and tired. My children are also to the age, that I know they are very impressionable and I don't want them to become me.

yeah, lot of real truthful stuff in there. If your serious, than `LETS ROLL`

Not the drug silly, Like Bush, and stuff.

JimNasium
09-29-2008, 05:58 PM
I'd take up home brewing. Now I never have to worry about where my next beer is coming from.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 07:42 PM
I kind of think it'll be a rough time sleeping tonight. I just walked 3 mis. or so.

Demonpenz
09-29-2008, 07:44 PM
Well it can only get better from here. I know you just want to beat yourself up but try to stay positive and active with getting help. Believe me some days its hard for me to even look in a mirror

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 07:46 PM
Well it can only get better from here. I know you just want to beat yourself up but try to stay positive and active with getting help. Believe me some days its hard for me to even look in a mirror

Than I'm asking to you to suit-up. Only because I care.

Buck
09-29-2008, 07:46 PM
I kind of think it'll be a rough time sleeping tonight. I just walked 3 mis. or so.

Congrats. I think the 3 mile walk should help you sleep if anything.

Even if you cannot quit cold turkey, then try to consciously drink less.

Maybe only drink 2 days during the week, and try and cut it down to less than 10 beers over the weekend.

I hope this works out well for you.

Demonpenz
09-29-2008, 07:51 PM
Than I'm asking to you to suit-up. Only because I care.

I am on board today. It looks like I will be trying it again. I txted messaged all my friends that I would apperciate it if they won't enable me. First test is wednesday. I am supposed to go out that shouldn't be hard. The real tests is when I have had a full weeks worth a bullshit can I not pick up, but one day at a time. I am looking forward to having a clear head, and all my shit together as far as my wallet and glasses and shit. Even though I don't see my nephew much. I put a picture in my phone so I am going to try to motivate me to stay alive long enough to watch him grow. Overall I have been through this song and dance so many times just sitting here hour after hour putting myself through the ringer. I hate the waiting. Waiting for that dumbass moment where you either start drinking and go down the cycle of drunk,hungover,drunk, hungover, or not pick up all all. It is true madness.

Demonpenz
09-29-2008, 07:53 PM
Congrats. I think the 3 mile walk should help you sleep if anything.

Even if you cannot quit cold turkey, then try to consciously drink less.

Maybe only drink 2 days during the week, and try and cut it down to less than 10 beers over the weekend.

I hope this works out well for you.

I know people are trying to help, but people could limit what they take in they would. One of the steps is realizing you aren't a normal person. You can't drink normally. YOu have a problem. People who try to cut it down are just lying to themselves and everyone else. You will ususally find 4 or 5 more beer cans in the trash than they said they drank.

Buck
09-29-2008, 07:54 PM
I know people are trying to help, but people could limit what they take in they would. One of the steps is realizing you aren't a normal person. You can't drink normally. YOu have a problem. People who try to cut it down are just lying to themselves and everyone else. You will ususally find 4 or 5 more beer cans in the trash than they said they drank.

Like I said earlier, I know pot isn't alcohol.

I'd smoke an eighth ounce every couple days and I realized I had a problem. I cut it to a gram or so a week, then weened it out completely.

It helped in that situation.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 07:55 PM
I am on board today. It looks like I will be trying it again. I txted messaged all my friends that I would apperciate it if they won't enable me. First test is wednesday. I am supposed to go out that shouldn't be hard. The real tests is when I have had a full weeks worth a bullshit can I not pick up, but one day at a time. I am looking forward to having a clear head, and all my shit together as far as my wallet and glasses and shit. Even though I don't see my nephew much. I put a picture in my phone so I am going to try to motivate me to stay alive long enough to watch him grow. Overall I have been through this song and dance so many times just sitting here hour after hour putting myself through the ringer. I hate the waiting. Waiting for that dumbass moment where you either start drinking and go down the cycle of drunk,hungover,drunk, hungover, or not pick up all all. It is true madness.

Okay, this is the plan, this is how I quit the first time. So simple it will work.

Plan After two-wks. we're going to talk. I'm going to ask you if you need to start back. I'll will remind you that you've come this far and to not start back.

It works. exactly two weeks.

Demonpenz
09-29-2008, 08:23 PM
sounds good to me

BWillie
09-29-2008, 08:31 PM
I've never been addicted to anything in my life. I don't think it's possible under the right will power. I could put down drinking for the rest of my life if it wasn't so fun. I drink because it's fun, not cuz it's addicting. Drug addiction, alcohol addiction, porn addiction......I don't buy it. All it takes is ****ing will power people

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 08:35 PM
I've never been addicted to anything in my life. I don't think it's possible under the right will power. I could put down drinking for the rest of my life if it wasn't so fun. I drink because it's fun, not cuz it's addicting. Drug addiction, alcohol addiction, porn addiction......I don't buy it. All it takes is ****ing will power people

I understand. Not all of us are good, though. I'm not dressing this up. I was spinning way out of control. I came on here and tried to get some advice.

But I appreciate the tough love.

plbrdude
09-29-2008, 08:39 PM
good luck red. i was truly blessed when it came to giving up the booze. and the meth. i drank and smoked dope from about 13 up. started on the meth when i was about 23 or so.
got to where i hated meth but i would go nuts till i got some. pot just gradually got phased out cause i just couldn't handle it anymore. booze was a different deal though. i never quite liked hard stuff too well, but beer, yeah. and to get to the point of my post, i never intended on quitting, but i did.
and yes it started with me deciding to go to church. i mainly started cause i thought it'd be good to take the kids(my ex's) to sunday school. but at that time i would go to church on sunday morn and stop and get a twelve pack on the way home. i basically had the- ain't nobody gonna tell me what to do attitude--.
to make the story short, i heard about some strange goin ons at a little pentecostal church a few miles down the road. thought i'd go see what the talk was about. it was there i met Jesus. before, i knew about Him, since then, i've come to know Him.
i was baptized in the name of Jesus and received the gift of the Holy Ghost in '97 and have not desired to drink or do a line since. i really didn't realize that i'd quit drinking till a friend came over and wanted to go on a booze cruise one weekend. told him that i didn't feel like drinkin, and he pointed out to me that i was told to quit drinkin' since i started goin to that church. but that wasn't true, nobody told me i had to quit, i never really had thought about it. and i was kinda like dp. on the weekend i was gonna do some drinkin', lots of it. and the Lord just lifted that desire from me.
i know that it doesn't work like that for everyone, but remember.. who the Son sets free, is free indeed. and you too can be free.
well mr. red it wasn't my intention to get into all that, i originally was just going to wish you luck and tell you i'll pray for you. my advice..draw near to God, and God will draw near to you.

Phobia
09-29-2008, 08:40 PM

Well, you're awesome. The rest of us are not. You can leave your encouragement in other threads. Other threads besides this one.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 08:45 PM
good luck red. i was truly blessed when it came to giving up the booze. and the meth. i drank and smoked dope from about 13 up. started on the meth when i was about 23 or so.
got to where i hated meth but i would go nuts till i got some. pot just gradually got phased out cause i just couldn't handle it anymore. booze was a different deal though. i never quite liked hard stuff too well, but beer, yeah. and to get to the point of my post, i never intended on quitting, but i did.
and yes it started with me deciding to go to church. i mainly started cause i thought it'd be good to take the kids(my ex's) to sunday school. but at that time i would go to church on sunday morn and stop and get a twelve pack on the way home. i basically had the- ain't nobody gonna tell me what to do attitude--.
to make the story short, i heard about some strange goin ons at a little pentecostal church a few miles down the road. thought i'd go see what the talk was about. it was there i met Jesus. before, i knew about Him, since then, i've come to know Him.
i was baptized in the name of Jesus and received the gift of the Holy Ghost in '97 and have not desired to drink or do a line since. i really didn't realize that i'd quit drinking till a friend came over and wanted to go on a booze cruise one weekend. told him that i didn't feel like drinkin, and he pointed out to me that i was told to quit drinkin' since i started goin to that church. but that wasn't true, nobody told me i had to quit, i never really had thought about it. and i was kinda like dp. on the weekend i was gonna do some drinkin', lots of it. and the Lord just lifted that desire from me.
i know that it doesn't work like that for everyone, but remember.. who the Son sets free, is free indeed. and you too can be free.
well mr. red it wasn't my intention to get into all that, i originally was just going to wish you luck and tell you i'll pray for you. my advice..draw near to God, and God will draw near to you.

This place is really amazing in a lot, lot of ways. I'm totally serious.

BWillie
09-29-2008, 08:48 PM
One time I thought I was addicted to pot. I smoked it for like 3 months cuz a friend of mine always had it. Then I moved back home for the summer cuz I was in college. I asked someone how much it was to buy it, and I was like, **** that, that is way to expensive. So I never smoked it again. Cuz I'm cheap. I think that is why I don't get addicted to shit. Cuz I'm the cheapest person alive. If I ever got addicted to meth, I'd be like..screw this, you mean I have to pay 3.50 for a bottle of paint thinner or whatever it is they use

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Again, Addtionally, plbrdude, I received many, many confirmations that my decision was acknowledged.

luv
09-29-2008, 08:56 PM
This place is really amazing in a lot, lot of ways. I'm totally serious.

People think I'm crazy as hell for sharing stuff here. It helps. Mine's usually from some overemotional reaction (pissed off, nervous, frustrated etc). There are some assholes on here (obviously), but there are some really cool people on here, too. It's like a one stop shop for advice on how-to's, what's good, football, politics, media, etc. I'm pretty much an open book, and I'm able to go back and laugh at the stupid shit I start. I've definitely grown an extra layer or two of skin by being on here, and that's helped me elsewhere.

Simply Red
09-29-2008, 09:07 PM
People think I'm crazy as hell for sharing stuff here. It helps. Mine's usually from some overemotional reaction (pissed off, nervous, frustrated etc). There are some assholes on here (obviously), but there are some really cool people on here, too. It's like a one stop shop for advice on how-to's, what's good, football, politics, media, etc. I'm pretty much an open book, and I'm able to go back and laugh at the stupid shit I start. I've definitely grown an extra layer or two of skin by being on here, and that's helped me elsewhere.

It's a great thing. I just wish the economy was better so that I could give Kyle a little something.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
09-29-2008, 10:09 PM
Usually just trade one for the other.

I smoked cigarettes for 17 years, then just quit cold turkey. I would say that after about a month I never even thought about another cigarette. Honest.
I even smoked in the shower before work. Thats when I realized it was time to quit.

I think by you posting your desire to quit on this forum, you have really taken a first step to truly wanting to quit. You have to truly want to quit. You can do it.

chiefbowe82
09-29-2008, 10:53 PM
everytime you get the urge visit this thread. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNnDztKxqfk

Jewish Rabbi
09-30-2008, 12:04 AM
Just get a wolf shirt...

But seriously, good luck guys. That's why I never start up any of this stuff, people always wonder why I go to parties but never drink. I have the willpower not to start, I don't know if I will to stop if I do start.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-30-2008, 03:18 AM
Going to quit chewing....AGAIN....starting Oct. 1

Bunch of slack-jawed f@ggots around here. This stuff will make you a goddamned sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me.

tooge
09-30-2008, 08:55 AM
Hey SR, a question for ya. If you had to say there is one issue that is making you want to drink, what would it be. I don't mean a superficial one like my job is hard. I mean, what deep down do YOU think is the issue?

Simply Red
09-30-2008, 09:02 AM
Hey SR, a question for ya. If you had to say there is one issue that is making you want to drink, what would it be. I don't mean a superficial one like my job is hard. I mean, what deep down do YOU think is the issue?

I don't know.

Donger
09-30-2008, 09:02 AM
Did you drink last night, SR?

Simply Red
09-30-2008, 09:03 AM
Did you drink last night, SR?

Nope, I slept well too, sweat a bit. But overall, I was pleased w/ how calm everything was (so far.) Going over to moms for pulled pork sandwichs tonight and we're going to either watch the BB game or get Ironman.

Donger
09-30-2008, 09:05 AM
Nope, I slept well too, sweat a bit. But overall, I was pleased w/ how calm everything was (so far.) Going over to moms for pulled pork sandwichs tonight and we're going to either watch the BB game or get Ironman.

Well done. I'm pulling for you.

Simply Red
09-30-2008, 09:09 AM
I did one of these threads over at the other site and let everyone down, including tooge. I'm not letting that happen again,

Donger
09-30-2008, 09:11 AM
I did one of these threads over at the other site and let everyone down, including tooge. I'm not letting that happen again,

Are you addicted to ChiefsPlanet?

Demonpenz
09-30-2008, 09:13 AM

hah lots of people become addicted to something else when they quit booze, but chiefsplanet will never give you a dui, say shit to your realitives you don't mean, or cause you physical harm (well unless you have a heartattack reading the stupid shit posted on here)

Simply Red
09-30-2008, 09:19 AM

Maybe, but in my opinion, that is a good addiction. Here's my reasons why: Sense of community, Opportunity to meet friends w/ commonalities, extremely helpful w/ writting and grammar skills. Aid in spelling, one of the most up to date news sources re: current-events.

Nope, no different than studying w/ friends. IMO...

Donger
09-30-2008, 09:22 AM
Maybe, but in my opinion, that is a good addiction. Here's my reasons why: Sense of community, Opportunity to meet friends w/ commonalities, extremely helpful w/ writting and grammar skills. Aid in spelling, one of the most up to date news sources re: current-events.

Nope, no different than studying w/ friends. IMO...

You left out poker.

Simply Red
09-30-2008, 09:23 AM
You left out poker.

:banghead:LMAO:clap:

luv
09-30-2008, 09:25 AM
We should form a ChiefsPlanet Posters Anonymous group. We'll meet here and post....wait a minute.....

tooge
09-30-2008, 09:25 AM
I don't know.

This isn't what I do for a living of course, but I would guess that you will have to figure that one out before you are able to conquer this entirely bud. Look deep and try to do just that. You may have to seek help to figure it out too.

Frosty
09-30-2008, 11:53 AM

I tried that - took up coffee to try to cut back on soda. I just ended up drinking the same amount of soda AND additional coffee. :rolleyes:

Now I just figure the soda is fairly mild, as vices go (though it is getting expensive).

StcChief
09-30-2008, 02:52 PM
what's this quiting? quiting is for losers....

TrebMaxx
09-30-2008, 03:41 PM
I didn't. Al Davis fired me. / L. Kiffin

No, seriously dude. To quit something you really have to want to do it for yourself. Good luck.

Fairplay
09-30-2008, 03:47 PM
what's this quiting? quiting is for losers....

Sounds exactly like what Endelt would say.

KC Tattoo
09-30-2008, 03:53 PM
Iv'e had an addiction for a long long time, just can't break it. Years of madness of highs and lows sweat and tears. Makes me happy makes me sad I will never break my addiction though...

Chiefs Football is in my blood :arrow:

ChiefsFire
09-30-2008, 05:09 PM
Damn SR...sorry to hear about your issues...

Had troubles once with Rx pain killers. Had to seek professional help.

Bowser
09-30-2008, 05:11 PM
I tried that - took up coffee to try to cut back on soda. I just ended up drinking the same amount of soda AND additional coffee. :rolleyes:

Now I just figure the soda is fairly mild, as vices go (though it is getting expensive).

Yeah, but at least you guys have those topless barista places up there. I might lay down ten bucks for a cup of coffee with too much sugar in it, too.

stumppy
09-30-2008, 05:51 PM
Cold fuggin turkey.

Everytime.

Stanley Nickels
09-30-2008, 06:54 PM

This comment made me LOL. However, it's fairly resonant in your instance SR. Make this place, and this thread specifically, your resource when you're craving, losing hope, etc. I'm a newbie here, but the subject is something that transcends well past this board, and certainly applies to many more people.

Personally, I have my reservations about my own behavior. I don't smoke or drink-- until the weekend. And then, for whatever reason, it's a near guarantee that I'm going to end up drinking in excess (Friday nights especially), swear off drinking the next day, and reluctantly going out (peer pressure) Saturday evening and repeating. It's truly a drain on my body, and my wallet. That might be what eventually knocks the habit.

The truly strangest thing is, I'm the guy that all smokers hate: the drinking smoker. I rarely, if ever, have any inclination towards cigs during the week-- the smell actually disgusts me-- yet, get me in the mindset of partying, and I crave to no end. I literally smoke as much in a couple hours as some do in a day. Mind-boggling. But it does lead me to believe that everything is related to will-power and mind-over-matter behavior. I'm trying to curb this behavior, since drinking in moderation isn't apparently in my nature-- but I don't want to risk losing my best friends in the world, who center most of their actions on activities involving alcohol. It'll be tough, but it's got to happen. Something's gotta give: health or my "fun" Fridays.

I think those smoking commercials ("Become an Ex") are the absolute truth: if you can re-learn to do certain simple tasks without alcohol, cigs, drugs- whatever your vice-- you can re-learn to do anything. My personal goal is drinking IN MODERATION (the litmus being no hangover), and not smoking again. Ever.

So, best of luck to you, SR and DP. Use this thread ad nausea to vent, or whatever. Know that we're behind you, and we, for whatever it's worth, expect you to keep up with this.

MahiMike
09-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Move. Do something drastic to get out of your routine. Go somewhere where your drinking buddies can't find you - preferably 1 block away from YMCA and/or your new church. Get a new routine and change your lifestyle.

Simply Red
10-01-2008, 08:41 AM
Move. Do something drastic to get out of your routine. Go somewhere where your drinking buddies can't find you - preferably 1 block away from YMCA and/or your new church. Get a new routine and change your lifestyle.

That's the plan.

Simply Red
10-01-2008, 08:41 AM
This comment made me LOL. However, it's fairly resonant in your instance SR. Make this place, and this thread specifically, your resource when you're craving, losing hope, etc. I'm a newbie here, but the subject is something that transcends well past this board, and certainly applies to many more people.

Personally, I have my reservations about my own behavior. I don't smoke or drink-- until the weekend. And then, for whatever reason, it's a near guarantee that I'm going to end up drinking in excess (Friday nights especially), swear off drinking the next day, and reluctantly going out (peer pressure) Saturday evening and repeating. It's truly a drain on my body, and my wallet. That might be what eventually knocks the habit.

The truly strangest thing is, I'm the guy that all smokers hate: the drinking smoker. I rarely, if ever, have any inclination towards cigs during the week-- the smell actually disgusts me-- yet, get me in the mindset of partying, and I crave to no end. I literally smoke as much in a couple hours as some do in a day. Mind-boggling. But it does lead me to believe that everything is related to will-power and mind-over-matter behavior. I'm trying to curb this behavior, since drinking in moderation isn't apparently in my nature-- but I don't want to risk losing my best friends in the world, who center most of their actions on activities involving alcohol. It'll be tough, but it's got to happen. Something's gotta give: health or my "fun" Fridays.

I think those smoking commercials ("Become an Ex") are the absolute truth: if you can re-learn to do certain simple tasks without alcohol, cigs, drugs- whatever your vice-- you can re-learn to do anything. My personal goal is drinking IN MODERATION (the litmus being no hangover), and not smoking again. Ever.

So, best of luck to you, SR and DP. Use this thread ad nausea to vent, or whatever. Know that we're behind you, and we, for whatever it's worth, expect you to keep up with this.

Thanks

Bacon Cheeseburger
10-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Good luck SR, I'm currently trying to quit smoking which means...you guessed it...no drinking in the meantime. That's what tripped me up last time I quit.

Simply Red
10-01-2008, 08:56 AM
Good luck SR, I'm currently trying to quit smoking which means...you guessed it...no drinking in the meantime. That's what tripped me up last time I quit.

Yep, everytime, that little enhancer that YOU DON'T need. ;)

Frosty
10-01-2008, 09:06 AM
Yeah, but at least you guys have those topless barista places up there.

We do?!? :eek:

Shit. I was just buying the 45 cent coffee from the gas station on the corner. :sulk:

Ari Chi3fs
10-01-2008, 09:47 AM
The trick to stopping anything... is you have to figure out if it serves you or not. If it serves you well, continue. If it doesn't serve you, then you have to begin to place the feeling of PAIN to the action that you wish to quit.

For example, you want to stop drinking, for me... easy, I linked MASSIVE amounts of pain to drinking. The cost of the drinks, the cost of a DUI, the hangovers, the knowing that I act like an idiot when Im drunk, that you sometimes post stupid shit while drunk.

Ok, drinking has never been a problem for me, I hate the hangovers... but I used the same approach to quit smoking cigarettes.

And Claythan used the same approach to stop blowing guys.

Your mind is driven to seek pleasure and eliminate pain. So, as long as drinking or smoking is pleasureable in your mind, it will be nearly impossible to quit.

You have to change your neuroassociative conditioning. And for some, its very difficult.

Bacon Cheeseburger
10-01-2008, 09:59 AM
The trick to stopping anything... is you have to figure out if it serves you or not. If it serves you well, continue. If it doesn't serve you, then you have to begin to place the feeling of PAIN to the action that you wish to quit.

For example, you want to stop drinking, for me... easy, I linked MASSIVE amounts of pain to drinking. The cost of the drinks, the cost of a DUI, the hangovers, the knowing that I act like an idiot when Im drunk, that you sometimes post stupid shit while drunk.

Ok, drinking has never been a problem for me, I hate the hangovers... but I used the same approach to quit smoking cigarettes.

And Claythan used the same approach to stop blowing guys.

Your mind is driven to seek pleasure and eliminate pain. So, as long as drinking or smoking is pleasureable in your mind, it will be nearly impossible to quit.

You have to change your neuroassociative conditioning. And for some, its very difficult.
Oddly enough, it's because of pain that I'm trying to quit smoking, I've been fighting severe pain in my neck and shoulders for almost a year now. Last spring a spine specialist told me I have no excuse for complaining about the pain as long as I smoke, and I scoffed at it because it seems doctors like to blame everything on smoking. Nevertheless, I finally decided to give it a go since nothing else is helping, and sure enough I'm only one day in and I do seem to be feeling some relief. We'll see if that continues...

Inspector
10-01-2008, 10:48 AM
What will be ironic is when you look back at this moment and realize that not only did you save yourself, but probably were the catalyst for saving others while you were at it.

And that, if nothing else, will be worth more than money can buy. Your dedication to your cause will inspire many more to do the same.

To me nothing could ever top knowing I saved a person's life. And you are probably saving several SR. Good move!

JuicesFlowing
10-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Simply Red, I pretty much share your problem, brother. The thing that makes it impossible for me to stop, is ... football season. I cannot separate Chiefs football from ice cold beer. Or coming home on Friday from a soul-sucking week of work ... I get my own moral victories sometimes by cutting back on the amount I drink on the weekends, but I can't envision quitting completely because of that feeling that makes me enjoy it in the first place. I don't have any advice for you because I need some myself. Hang in there.

Stanley Nickels
10-01-2008, 07:56 PM
SR how you doin'?

Simply Red
10-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Fine, thanks.

NewChief
10-01-2008, 08:06 PM
Oddly enough, it's because of pain that I'm trying to quit smoking, I've been fighting severe pain in my neck and shoulders for almost a year now. Last spring a spine specialist told me I have no excuse for complaining about the pain as long as I smoke, and I scoffed at it because it seems doctors like to blame everything on smoking. Nevertheless, I finally decided to give it a go since nothing else is helping, and sure enough I'm only one day in and I do seem to be feeling some relief. We'll see if that continues...

Expect for things to get worse again before they get better. Quitting smoking can get pretty painful as your nerve endings come back awake and your cilia regrow. It made no sense to me at the time, but I remember getting sick all of the time, having a sore throat, coughing up tons of stuff, draining sinuses, being short of breath, and basically feeling like a had an upper-respiratory and a sinus infection for a few weeks when I quit. Then you'll start to feel much better.

Bacon Cheeseburger
10-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Expect for things to get worse again before they get better. Quitting smoking can get pretty painful as your nerve endings come back awake and your cilia regrow. It made no sense to me at the time, but I remember getting sick all of the time, having a sore throat, coughing up tons of stuff, draining sinuses, being short of breath, and basically feeling like a had an upper-respiratory and a sinus infection for a few weeks when I quit. Then you'll start to feel much better.
Good lord, I'd better go on a cigarette run now. :eek:

MOhillbilly
10-02-2008, 07:13 AM
Fine, thanks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81umITy46us
youll be better than fine now.

Simply Red
10-14-2008, 03:42 PM
No biggie, and I'm certainly not trying to make this ALL about me, but; I haven't had one drop of alch. since the night before I created this thread.

Thanks.

phisherman
10-14-2008, 03:48 PM
congrats man! if you've lasted this long, who's to say you can't last a LOT longer?

Donger
10-14-2008, 03:57 PM
congrats man! if you've lasted this long, who's to say you can't last a LOT longer?

Be careful. He said he hasn't "had on drop."

Simply Red
10-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Be careful. He said he hasn't "had on drop."

Jesus, fixed. LOL

morphius
10-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Not hearing any voices, are ya?

JuicesFlowing
10-14-2008, 04:08 PM
I went a month once ... I think after you get past the 10-14 day mark, it gets a lot easier.

Simply Red
10-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Not hearing any voices, are ya?

actually no, just the normal ones. Like `free Charlie` etc..

No, seriously, pretty seamless transition. No real hardcore w/d's only a few sweaty-sleeps and I'm good. Thank god, seriously...
;)

Simply Red
10-14-2008, 04:12 PM
I went a month once ... I think after you get past the 10-14 day mark, it gets a lot easier.

So just let me know when you're on board.

morphius
10-14-2008, 04:16 PM
actually no, just the normal ones. Like `free Charlie` etc..

No, seriously, pretty seamless transition. No real hardcore w/d's only a few sweaty-sleeps and I'm good. Thank god, seriously...
;)
Good to hear man.

JuicesFlowing
10-14-2008, 04:17 PM
only a few sweaty-sleeps
;)[/FONT]

I get those.

JuicesFlowing
10-14-2008, 04:17 PM
So just let me know when you're on board.

Will do.

ClevelandBronco
10-14-2008, 04:18 PM
How'd I quit?

She told me to stop.