PDA

View Full Version : Misc Anybody here work graveyard

L.A. Chieffan
09-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Besides Tebow? That guy can do everything.

88TG88
09-29-2008, 04:27 PM
No, is it fun ?

Rausch
09-29-2008, 04:29 PM
No, is it fun ?

Not so much.

I do enjoy the look on a clerk's face when I buy a case of beer at 7:30 AM...

L.A. Chieffan
09-29-2008, 04:30 PM
I dunno I start tonight and I'm not really sure what to expect other than complete boredom. I should probably be sleeping right now.

L.A. Chieffan
09-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Not so much.

I do enjoy the look on a clerk's face when I buy a case of beer at 7:30 AM...

Well I do that anyways so not a big deal...

luv
09-29-2008, 04:31 PM
I hated it. Of course, I was supervising production. Always had to be on the cheerier side to help motivate employees. Wore me the **** out. I lasted about 9 months.

Fairplay
09-29-2008, 06:09 PM
I hated it. Of course, I was supervising production. Always had to be on the cheerier side to help motivate employees. Wore me the **** out. I lasted about 9 months.

lol. That post cracks me up.

Frosty
09-30-2008, 09:03 AM
I worked a 9 PM to 6 AM shift for more than four years and never really had a problem with it. I am a bit of a night owl and that might have helped.

The key is to get on a regular sleep schedule and stick with it, even on weekends. Too many people play during the day and don't get enough sleep or they try to be on a "normal" schedule on weekends, so the body never adjusts to the new sleep schedule. They burn out pretty quickly because of it.

Fairplay
09-30-2008, 09:26 AM
I did for about 9 months. I hated it.

The production supervisor tried to think she was cheerful to help motivate us.
What a joke.

But we just laughed about her behind her back because she was so pathetic at it.

Reerun_KC
09-30-2008, 09:29 AM
Did it in the military.... Since then nadda....

luv
09-30-2008, 09:31 AM
I did for about 9 months. I hated it.

The production supervisor tried to think she was cheerful to help motivate us.
What a joke.

But we just laughed about her behind her back because she was so pathetic at it.

Heh. I am an awesome boss to work for. You had a problem with your paycheck? I would wait until the front office people got here, take it up there, and not go home until I got the question answered. I also waited for HR to talk about any personnel or safety issues. That was the other half of my problem.....lack of sleep. I got to where I would try to sleep from noon-8pm, while I was basically at work from 11pm-10am five nights a week. Then, I would try to have "normal people" hours on the weekends. It was weird to go to bed while the sun was out and wake up when it wasn't.

Reerun_KC
09-30-2008, 09:35 AM
Heh. I am an awesome boss to work for. You had a problem with your paycheck? I would wait until the front office people got here, take it up there, and not go home until I got the question answered. I also waited for HR to talk about any personnel or safety issues. That was the other half of my problem.....lack of sleep. I got to where I would try to sleep from noon-8pm, while I was basically at work from 11pm-10am five nights a week. Then, I would try to have "normal people" hours on the weekends. It was weird to go to bed while the sun was out and wake up when it wasn't.

WOW, I wish everybody had bosses like you!

gblowfish
09-30-2008, 09:56 AM
I worked in professional radio for 7 years doing Midnight to 6am shift 6 days a week. It's very hard on your system. I did that back in the 1980s when I was younger, graveyard shift is for young people.

Fairplay
09-30-2008, 10:46 AM
At the time i had a choice to either work nights (10 to 6 AM) or evenings (2 to 10 PM).

There is nothing to do during the morning hours on second shift, plus you miss out on afternoons and evenings, when everythings happening.

So night shift was the lesser of the two evils for me.

Portlantis
09-30-2008, 12:29 PM
I work nights and I like it, but mostly because my job now is far better than my day job was.

2bikemike
09-30-2008, 02:59 PM
I do rotating 12 hr shifts. 6am to 6pm for three of four days and then switch to the 6pm to 6am for three or four days. The number of days off in between varies depending on the rotation. But the best part is, Every 4 weeks I get 7 days off. Today is the last day of this months 7 off. So I go to work tonight for 4 night shifts.

I don't think I could work a normal schedule of Monday through Friday and only get 2 days off before starting all over.

ClevelandBronco
09-30-2008, 03:05 PM
I worked in a graveyard one summer in college. Best summer job ever.