PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Gonzalez unhappy he didn’t break record at Arrowhead

Tribal Warfare
09-30-2008, 12:27 AM
Gonzalez unhappy he didn’t break record at Arrowhead (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/819752.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Tony Gonzalez didn’t just want the NFL record for receiving yardage for tight ends. He wanted to set the mark at Arrowhead Stadium.

So when Gonzalez got within 3 yards of the record in Sunday’s 33-19 home win over Denver, he began pestering head coach Herm Edwards, tight-ends coach Jon Embree and anyone else who would listen to pass him the ball one more time.

That pass never came. The Chiefs, trying to protect a lead and get their first win of the season, gave the ball to Larry Johnson on their final six offensive plays.

Gonzalez will probably get the record on the road this week when the Chiefs play the Carolina Panthers in Charlotte, N.C. But to him it won’t be the same.

“It will still be the record, but I’m just a little disappointed by that,” Gonzalez said Monday. “Not just a little. I’m highly disappointed. I wish I could have gotten it with a win against the Broncos, a home game, my whole family is there, they were going to do a little ceremony and stop the game and stuff.

“I’ll get over it. I’m still a little upset about it, but I’ll get over it. You can call it selfish if you want, but I don’t think it is. It’s not about the record. The record is going to come no matter what. It’s just that I wanted to do it in front of the fans. I wanted to do it at home. I wanted to do it against the Broncos, our rivals. It was a good situation to go and get it done. I felt like we had the game won anyway and I could go get a catch real quick.”

Edwards said that because the Chiefs never had the ball and a lead of more than seven points in the fourth quarter, they were bound to try to kill the clock with the running game.

“We wish we could have got him the record, too,” Edwards said. “But the game, the way it unfolded at the end, we really couldn’t afford to throw a pass. You can’t throw a pass when you only lead by one score. What if something bad happens when you decide to throw that pass?

“He wanted to do it at home, in front of the fans. I wish it could have been accomplished. But it didn’t work out.”

Gonzalez said he kept quiet after the game because he didn’t want to detract from the Chiefs’ first win of the season. He dressed quickly and rushed out of the locker room without answering questions, even though he caught a 10-yard touchdown pass in the fourth quarter.

“I didn’t want to rain on anybody’s parade,” Gonzalez said. “The victory was more important than anything. Forget about the whole record. If it had been in a loss, then it wouldn’t have been worth that much, anyway.”

Gonzalez said he had about a dozen family and friends in Kansas City for the game and, he hoped, the occasion.

“It was gearing up to be ultraspecial,” he said. “I went out and celebrated last night. We went to dinner and went out afterward and we did it up right for the victory, which is the most important thing. But it had the opportunity to be something really, really special. I’ll never get it back. It’s over. That moment is gone.”

Gonzalez set the tight-end record for touchdown passes last season in a home game against Cincinnati. He said getting the record at Arrowhead and in a Chiefs victory made that mark special.

Later in the season, he set the record for tight-end receptions when the Chiefs lost to the Jets in New York.

“That made it bittersweet,” he said.

Gonzalez and Edwards discussed the matter Monday.

“I have ultimate respect for Herm, and I think he has that for me,” Gonzalez said. “We talked about it, face to face, man to man. There’s no controversy, no bad blood or anything like that. It is what it is.”

Gonzalez said he’s still not clear why the Chiefs wouldn’t get him the record at home.

“I have no idea why,” he said. “They have their reason. The game was out of reach. It’s not like we wanted to throw a pass and maybe something happens, the ball gets tipped and intercepted.

“Then you guys would have been looking at Herm: ‘Why did you guys try to throw the ball in that situation?’

Gonzalez entered the game needing 50 yards to pass Shannon Sharpe, who has 10,060 yards. He didn’t catch his first pass Sunday until the third quarter was almost finished.

Gonzalez caught two more passes in the first 9 minutes of the fourth period, including the touchdown that put the Chiefs ahead 23-13.

After Gonzalez caught a 23-yard pass with more than 6 minutes left, the Chiefs did nothing but run the ball or use Nick Novak to attempt a field goal.

After the touchdown catch, Gonzalez was slow to get up. He fell on the ball, temporarily robbing him of his wind.

While he was down, Chiefs fans chanted his name.

“It’s kind of endearing the way the fans were supporting me like that,” Gonzalez said. “My wife said she almost started crying. I’ve never had that happen to me before. That was pretty special. I wish I didn’t get hurt, but it was pretty special to see how the crowd reacted.”

Albert questionable
Coach Herm Edwards called rookie left tackle Branden Albert questionable for Sunday’s game. Albert dislocated his elbow in the second quarter against Denver and didn’t return.

boogblaster
09-30-2008, 12:34 AM
GO GONZO ... TOO BAD ... You can celebrate in Canton in a few years ...

BigRock
09-30-2008, 12:37 AM
Gonzalez said he’s still not clear why the Chiefs wouldn’t get him the record at home.

“I have no idea why,” he said. “They have their reason. The game was out of reach. It’s not like we wanted to throw a pass and maybe something happens, the ball gets tipped and intercepted.

“Then you guys would have been looking at Herm: ‘Why did you guys try to throw the ball in that situation?’

A) It was not at all "out of reach". It was a 7 point game.
B) What?

FAX
09-30-2008, 12:54 AM
The bad part about all of this is that it becomes an issue at all. Two Herms don't make a right. They should have looked in Gonzo's direction in the first half, anyhow. Especially in the redzone. But, after he was three yards short, they absolutely, certainly, for sure should have thrown him the bone.

Nevertheless, Gonzo shouldn't be making a big deal out of this. He's always said that personal accomplishments come second to the team's achievements. Now that he has a chance to prove it, he fails the test.

This team doesn't need any more distractions ... especially ones fostered by the veterans. We have the whole "Dick Curl's Girl Scout Dress Up Day" to deal with, after all. On the other hand, perhaps this is just a ploy by Gonzo to alienate Herm to such an extent that he'll get traded. If so, that is indeed unfortunate.

FAX

Joe Seahawk
09-30-2008, 12:59 AM
Reminds me of this a little :)

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/206304_shaun03.html

Guru
09-30-2008, 01:05 AM
Reminds me of this a little :)

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/206304_shaun03.html
Not really the same thing though. SA was not going to have another opportunity as the season was over. TG has a few years left to eclipse this record. I suppose the whine is similar but really not the same situation at all.

jjjayb
09-30-2008, 01:09 AM
“But the game, the way it unfolded at the end, we really couldn’t afford to throw a pass. You can’t throw a pass when you only lead by one score. What if something bad happens when you decide to throw that pass?

That quote pretty much sums up our offense for the last few years with Edwards at the helm. Pathetic. What if something bad happens? Hey dickhead, what if you actually try and frigging score.

Fish
09-30-2008, 01:14 AM
All he has to do is just sit out the next game. If it's that important.....

Direckshun
09-30-2008, 01:15 AM
Am I wrong to think that Tony G is just about the perfect football player?

Mecca
09-30-2008, 01:21 AM
When Albert comes back can we for the love of christ put Taylor at RT? If that can work out we won't have to worry about drafting another OT.

tk13
09-30-2008, 01:24 AM
Well, I don't always think you 100% avoid passing in that situation... but we were openly gashing them on the ground. Why go away from it.... sure it would've been nice but he's still going to break the record. I understand why he's upset but 10 years from now people are going to know he's the greatest of all time, not where he broke the record.

Not that I'm advocating Martyball, but when you've got a RB plowing people over and running for 200 yards... it's stupid to stop doing it so Huard can throw the football. At this point, when this offense is doing anything at all effectively, it's a step forward. The fear of running the football on this board has almost become a mental illness.

We hadn't won a football game in almost a year, that is embarrassing. I'd personally much rather win the game than worry about somebody's record.

Guru
09-30-2008, 01:28 AM
HOw many would be bitching right now if we did try to throw to TG and it was intercepted and returned for a TD? Seriously?

If you think the Broncos would not be keying on him in that situation you are fooling yourself.

ChiefJustice
09-30-2008, 04:18 AM
HOw many would be bitching right now if we did try to throw to TG and it was intercepted and returned for a TD? Seriously?

If you think the Broncos would not be keying on him in that situation you are fooling yourself.

When hasn't a team been "keying" in on TG in those situations?

His entire career?

Baby Lee
09-30-2008, 06:03 AM
If personal records are that important to him, it kind of throws that whole 'trade him to a contender, he deserves a ring' shit out the window. Eff him, take your money, contribute here and retire here, whether after a SB run or continued failure.

HypnotizedMonkey
09-30-2008, 06:10 AM
What a puss. 88 is the man.. but he needs to wash his vagina it's starting to stink.

Bob Dole
09-30-2008, 06:12 AM
It would have made a lot more sense to try to get him those 3 yards during one of Herm's first two brilliantly play-called field goal drives...

ILChief
09-30-2008, 07:30 AM
When Albert comes back can we for the love of christ put Taylor at RT? If that can work out we won't have to worry about drafting another OT.

Amen, I wouldn't mind trying Richardson at RG either.

FAX
09-30-2008, 07:32 AM
If personal records are that important to him, it kind of throws that whole 'trade him to a contender, he deserves a ring' shit out the window. Eff him, take your money, contribute here and retire here, whether after a SB run or continued failure.

One factor that appears to be overlooked by many peeps, Mr. Baby Lee, is the fact that Gonzo is an entertainer. Breaking the record before a red sea of impassioned fans deliriously emboldened by our first win of the century would have made for some excellent TV.

Herm has no feel for the drama.

FAX

T-post Tom
09-30-2008, 07:43 AM
One factor that appears to be overlooked by many peeps, Mr. Baby Lee, is the fact that Gonzo is an entertainer. Breaking the record before a red sea of impassioned fans deliriously emboldened by our first win of the century would have made for some excellent TV.

Herm has no feel for the drama.

FAX

Very true. Greatness generally requires risk. KC could use some spectacle. And Herm could use some testicle.

Reerun_KC
09-30-2008, 08:41 AM
Very true. Greatness generally requires risk. KC could use some spectacle. And Herm could use some testicle.
LMAO

Dartgod
09-30-2008, 08:55 AM
The media and most of the people here are making too much out of this. Sure Tony is disappointed. Who wouldn't be?

This quote says it all...

“I didn’t want to rain on anybody’s parade,” Gonzalez said. “The victory was more important than anything. Forget about the whole record. If it had been in a loss, then it wouldn’t have been worth that much, anyway.”

Zouk
09-30-2008, 08:57 AM
On the other hand, perhaps this is just a ploy by Gonzo to alienate Herm to such an extent that he'll get traded. If so, that is indeed unfortunate.

FAX

“I have ultimate respect for Herm, and I think he has that for me,” Gonzalez said. “We talked about it, face to face, man to man. There’s no controversy, no bad blood or anything like that. It is what it is.”

ChiTown
09-30-2008, 09:02 AM
I'm swimming in a pool of ambivalence over this deal.

Basileus777
09-30-2008, 09:11 AM
The only real issue is that we didn't get Tony involved in the first half.

Reerun_KC
09-30-2008, 09:28 AM
The only real issue is that we didn't get Tony involved in the first half.
Especially when we had the ball 1st and Goal twice and made no attempt to get Bowe or TG involved..

It was sad to say the least...

R&GHomer
09-30-2008, 09:30 AM
Am I wrong to think that Tony G is just about the perfect football player?

Tony is the man and I don't blame him at all for being a little pissed off about it. **** Herm! He needed 3 yards to break the record held by Sharp "one of my all time most hated ****ing donky players" at home, in front of his family and Herm screwed him. TG is this franchise and has given it his all from day one. If I were TG I would walk up to Herm and throw a football as hard as I could right into his junk.

Reerun_KC
09-30-2008, 09:31 AM
Tony is the man and I don't blame him at all for being a little pissed off about it. **** Herm! He needed 3 yards to break the record held by Sharp "one of my all time most hated ****ing donky players" at home, in front of his family and Herm screwed him. TG is this franchise and has given it his all from day one. If I were TG I would walk up to Herm and throw a football as hard as I could right into his junk.
ROFL

QFT

R&GHomer
09-30-2008, 09:47 AM
ROFL

QFT

I guess I'm not all internet savy. What does QFT stand for?

Dartgod
09-30-2008, 09:52 AM
I guess I'm not all internet savy. What does QFT stand for?
Quit F...ing Tony

Reerun_KC
09-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Quit F...ing Tony
ROFL Holy crap dude!

that is priceless!

Acutally it means qouting for truth!

CosmicPal
09-30-2008, 09:55 AM
"You can’t throw a pass when you only lead by one score. What if something bad happens when you decide to throw that pass?

What if we fumbled the snap? What if we fumbled the hand-off? What if the running back fumbled the ball? What if? What if?

Anything could've happened you fuggen douchebag! You cost a HOF player the chance to break the record in his home stadium, in front of his fans, in front of a rival team and the player who's record he was trying to break, and his entire family was there!

All because of your fuggen game management skills.

I'm sorry, but I've been a Herm supporter for the longest time, but after the first 3 games and this- no more. I don't support him for anything and hope to see him fired- the sooner the better.

dtebbe
09-30-2008, 09:58 AM
Tony gets a pass on this as far as I'm concerned. As a HC how can you not throw a 2 yard bone to a guy that gives you 110% EVERY time he's on the field, whether it's practice or a game?

Not showing up the other team is absolutely the most LAME excuse I've ever heard.

DT