PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Preparing sea bass...

Fried Meat Ball!
09-30-2008, 10:34 AM
Suggestions?

I'm picking up some fresh sea bass this afternoon for dinner tonight. But not sure what I should do with it just yet.

Donger
09-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Suggestions?

I'm picking up some fresh sea bass this afternoon for dinner tonight. But not sure what I should do with it just yet.

Catching it would seem to be the first step.

Goapics1
09-30-2008, 10:37 AM
Suggestion is to not buy it. Have Hamburger Helper instead.

chiefs1okie
09-30-2008, 10:37 AM
marinade in anti-freeze ??

ClevelandBronco
09-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Teriyaki on the grill.

Fried Meat Ball!
09-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Thinking about these two, as well.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/sea-bass-alla-fiorentina-recipe/index.html
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dave-lieberman/baked-seabass-with-homemade-garlic-butter-and-herb-bread-crumb-topping-recipe/index.html

Fried Meat Ball!
09-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Suggestion is to not buy it. Have Hamburger Helper instead.

ROFL

Not a fan?

Goapics1
09-30-2008, 10:42 AM
ROFL

Not a fan?

The fishy smell lingers for a couple days.

Fried Meat Ball!
09-30-2008, 10:43 AM

So does the Hamburger Helper smell.

Actually, fresh fish shouldn't smell fishy.

Redrum_69
09-30-2008, 10:43 AM

.. .

chiefs1okie
09-30-2008, 10:44 AM
Wanting to grill or bake? I have grilled these on a wet grill board with lemon squeezed and rubbed on the board... sprinkiled with fresh squeezed lemon and lemon-pepper seasoning... turned out pretty good.

Goapics1
09-30-2008, 10:45 AM
So does the Hamburger Helper smell.

Actually, fresh fish shouldn't smell fishy.

I have 5 boys and they would prefer H Helper over something that smells like Redrum's mom.

Fried Meat Ball!
09-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Wanting to grill or bake? I have grilled these on a wet grill board with lemon squeezed and rubbed on the board... sprinkiled with fresh squeezed lemon and lemon-pepper seasoning... turned out pretty good.
No particular preference.

Not sure I really want to drag the grill out, though.

Probably would rather do baked, sauteed or pan fried.

Fried Meat Ball!
09-30-2008, 10:56 AM
I have 5 boys and they would prefer H Helper over something that smells like Redrum's mom.

Again, fresh fish shouldn't smell fishy.

I do fish semi-regularly since I'm down here by the ocean, and my house doesn't smell like fish, even when I'm cooking it.

beach tribe
09-30-2008, 10:57 AM
I bake it with a slice of tomato on top. A little butter. Oh my god i want some sea bass.

beach tribe
09-30-2008, 11:02 AM

Have you ever had sea bass?

BTW don't cook that shit too long.

Bill Lundberg
09-30-2008, 11:02 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bh7bYNAHXxw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bh7bYNAHXxw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Stinger
09-30-2008, 11:10 AM
Preparing sea bass

http://www.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/raiders/2005/09/25/jano.jpg

Why would you be preparing for the Oakland Raiders Kicker? All you need is some Liquor and some GHB.

triple
09-30-2008, 11:11 AM
nasty... i'd rather eat star kist out of a can

Bill Lundberg
09-30-2008, 11:16 AM
Sea Bass is awesome. My favorite fish. Well besides bluegill fried in a cast iron skillet

Bill Parcells
09-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Put it in tin foil with whatever you think is appropriate and chuck it on the grill.

Fish
09-30-2008, 11:24 AM
Have you ever tried grilling sea bass on a wooden grilling plank?

Ohh mama... great way to cook it...

beach tribe
09-30-2008, 11:25 AM
nasty... i'd rather eat star kist out of a can

:spock:

stlchiefs
09-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Kick His Azz

Simply Red
09-30-2008, 11:43 AM
I think I'd blacken it in one of your iron-skillets. I'd suggest peanut oil. Smoked tomato-cheese grits may be nice.

JimNasium
09-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Kick His Azz

http://www.moviepublicity.com/image_assets/dumbdumber_05.jpg

Fried Meat Ball!
09-30-2008, 12:34 PM
I think I'd blacken it in one of your iron-skillets. I'd suggest peanut oil. Smoked tomato-cheese grits may be nice.

I will do that one of these times. Unfortunately, for tonight, my wife can't handle blackened food - too spicy.

angelo
09-30-2008, 12:35 PM
FMB

Is it wild stripe bass or chilean.

If it is wild stripe try this
Pan roasted wild stripe bass, warm salad of orange, fennel, red onion, kalamata olives, grape tomatoes, balsamic orange reduction and extra virgin olive oil

very simple
Julinne fennel and red onions (if you do not like fennel sub asparagus or petite green beans)

zest orange and cut into supremes, reserve juice (1 orange per serving)

combine equal part of reserved juice and balsamic vinegar with zest and reduce by half.

pat seabass dry and season with kosher salt and pepper

Bring a saute pan that you can put in the oven (450 degrees) to med-high heat. add a thin layer of Extra Virgin olive oil and sear the fish

When it starts to brown lightly place in oven for 5 min per inch of fish

when done remove fish from pan and add salad ingredients.

quickly toss the pan to warm ingredients, season with s/p and then to the plate

mounds salad in center
of plate and gently lay fish on top, drizzle with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Balsamic reduction

Ang

Fried Meat Ball!
09-30-2008, 12:40 PM
FMB

Is it wild stripe bass or chilean.

Chilean.

Fried Meat Ball!
09-30-2008, 12:45 PM
How about this?

Seared Chilean Sea Bass with Piperade
serves 4

3 tablespoons olive oil
2 red bell peppers, or 1 red and 1 yellow, seeded and thinly sliced
1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced crosswise
1 tablespoon minced garlic
3/4 cup peeled, seeded, and chopped tomatoes, with juice
1-1/2 pounds Chilean sea bass fillet, cut into 4 portions
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a skillet or wok over medium-low heat. Add the peppers and onion and cook, stirring, until the peppers begin to wilt but do not brown. Add the garlic, cook until fragrant, and add the tomatoes and a pinch of salt and pepper. Simmer until everything is tender and the flavors are well blended, about 15 minutes. Keep warm.

Meanwhile, remove the fish from the refrigerator, season lightly on both sides with salt and pepper, and let stand a few minutes at room temperature.

Set another skillet (cast iron or heavy aluminum, just large enough to hold the fish) over medium-high heat until a drop of water evaporates instantly on contact; turn on the broiler. Add the remaining oil to the skillet, swirl the pan to coat the bottom, and add the fish. Cook until the bottom is beginning to brown, about 2 minutes, then run the skillet under the broiler without turning the fish. Broil 3 to 4 minutes, turn the browned side up, and continue broiling until a skewer easily slides in and out of the thickest part of the fish, another 2 to 3 minutes depending on thickness. Serve with the browned side up, with the pepper mixture spooned over and around the fish.

angelo
09-30-2008, 12:55 PM
FMB

You can not screw up Chilean Seabass

Your recipe looks good

You could serve that with Gnocchi, Roasted New Potatoes, Herbed Rice or Garlic Mashed Potatoes.

Ang

Fried Meat Ball!
09-30-2008, 12:56 PM
FMB

You can not screw up Chilean Seabass

Your recipe looks good

You could serve that with Gnocchi, Roasted New Potatoes, Herbed Rice or Garlic Mashed Potatoes.

Ang

Hmm.... roasted new potatoes sounds tasty.

Simply Red
09-30-2008, 12:59 PM
You could make a mango relish to topple the fish.

Fried Meat Ball!
09-30-2008, 01:02 PM
You could make a mango relish to topple the fish.

I did that with some mahi last week. I called it a mango salsa though.

Anything I can do in my cast iron I will do. Cast iron rocks.

I need more. I need a reversible cast iron griddle/grill pan.

angelo
09-30-2008, 01:05 PM
FMB

I think you could start with a Caesar salad and you will definitely need good bread possible french farm, baguette or sourdough.

For dessert tiramasu or spumoni ice cream and coffee with amaretto and biscotti.

Ang

Fried Meat Ball!
10-01-2008, 06:04 AM
Did the recipe here |http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=5069806&postcount=30 | and that was some damn tasty fish!

ILChief
10-01-2008, 06:27 AM
if no one has said it,

KICK HIS ASS, SEA BASS!

Rukdafaidas
10-01-2008, 07:50 AM
I have a suggestion for future seafood purchases....buy IQF (quick frozen) seafood. It's usually cheaper, it's usually already portioned and actually, IMO, usually tastes better.
Fresh seafood (especially Chilean Sea Bass) is really a waste of money, unless you live on an ocean and you're buying local fish straight off of a boat.
Nearly all (around 90%) Chilean Sea Bass are frozen at sea. They are then thawed to sell as "fresh". An honest seafood retailer will sell them as "Refreshed". Those Sea Bass fishermen are out for a long time and you don't want an actual "fresh" sea bass. It would probably be a couple of weeks old, by the time it arrived in your supermarket. If you were a fisherman, would you want to go out and catch a fish, throw it in your refrigerator, only to wait 2 weeks before grilling it?
There is a lot of debate on other actual fresh seafood as well. What's better, fresh seafood that was caught 3 or 4 days ago or seafood that is actually flash frozen at sea? Boats these days actually have the capability to flash freeze fish moments after being caught.
There's a big difference between flash freezing and normal freezing any meat. Flash freezing is done so fast, the cells don't break down. If you freeze meat in a normal freezer, the cells break down and it will have a mushy texture.
Even the "day boats" are usually out 24 to 48 hours.

But, if you're buying the fish today for cooking tonight...you would be better off buying the "fresh". I don't recommend buying fish and running it under water to thaw it out. You really need to allow it to thaw in the refrigerator for at least a day. It'll still be damn good.

Fried Meat Ball!
10-01-2008, 08:01 AM
I have a suggestion for future seafood purchases....buy IQF (quick frozen) seafood. It's usually cheaper, it's usually already portioned and actually, IMO, usually tastes better.
Fresh seafood (especially Chilean Sea Bass) is really a waste of money, unless you live on an ocean and you're buying local fish straight off of a boat.
Nearly all (around 90%) Chilean Sea Bass are frozen at sea. They are then thawed to sell as "fresh". An honest seafood retailer will sell them as "Refreshed". Those Sea Bass fishermen are out for a long time and you don't want an actual "fresh" sea bass. It would probably be a couple of weeks old, by the time it arrived in your supermarket. If you were a fisherman, would you want to go out and catch a fish, throw it in your refrigerator, only to wait 2 weeks before grilling it?
There is a lot of debate on other actual fresh seafood as well. What's better, fresh seafood that was caught 3 or 4 days ago or seafood that is actually flash frozen at sea? Boats these days actually have the capability to flash freeze fish moments after being caught.
There's a big difference between flash freezing and normal freezing any meat. Flash freezing is done so fast, the cells don't break down. If you freeze meat in a normal freezer, the cells break down and it will have a mushy texture.

But, if you're buying the fish today for cooking tonight...you would be better off buying the "fresh". I don't recommend buying fish and running it under water to thaw it out. You really need to allow it to thaw in the refrigerator for at least a day. It'll still be damn good.
I do live on the ocean, though I realize Chilean sea bass is not caught in U.S. coastal waters.

But my market does differentiate between fresh and previously frozen.

That said, the fish guy will let you smell it, so I'm pretty sure they're trustworthy - and the fish last night smelled fresh, no hint of "fishiness," which is the greatest indicator of freshness.

Demonpenz
10-01-2008, 09:42 AM
some of the best fish I had was actually some BBQ fish. We were tired of frying in our deep fryer down in smithville and decided to put some foil around the fish and bbq it right there with hamburgers and such.

angelo
10-01-2008, 10:05 AM

In my experience even IQF fish will lose moisture when thawed even correctly.

You are absolutely right about the chilean seabass (patagonian toothfish) and about 80% of all supermarket fish.

It is however better in some cases to let a fish "age" for lack of a better word, tuna, swordfish and some of the other more steak like fish are better when they let rigor set in and out. As long as the fish has been bled and gutted properly the flavor should be good.

I would expound on your post and encourage everyone to go to www.mbayaq.org to learn more about local sustainable seafood.

Ang

Chiefnj2
10-01-2008, 10:41 AM
In South Carolina you can catch your own black sea bass. Easy, fun and delicious.

Fried Meat Ball!
10-01-2008, 10:43 AM
In South Carolina you can catch your own black sea bass. Easy, fun and delicious.

If I enjoyed fishing even remotely, that might be an option.