PDA

View Full Version : Football Raiders Press Conference

Hays
09-30-2008, 11:48 AM
Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Raiders have called a Tuesday afternoon press conference, leading to speculation that coach Lane Kiffin will be fired.

Defensive coordinator Rob Ryan would seemingly be the obvious choice to replace Kiffin, but owner Al Davis reportedly spent Monday interviewing various members of the offensive staff.

Bye Bye Kiffin, not sure you deserved this but no one deserves the mess which is the Raiders.

Buck
09-30-2008, 11:51 AM
I cant wait until Rob Ryan becomes the coach and they don't win anymore games.

Goapics1
09-30-2008, 11:51 AM
That organization is a fuggin joke. Wow.

Hoover
09-30-2008, 11:54 AM
ESPN just said Kiffin is canned and isn't going to pay him for the rest of the contract. WOW.

Brock
09-30-2008, 11:55 AM
ESPN just said Kiffin is canned and isn't going to pay him for the rest of the contract. WOW.

I bet they have to pay.

Mr. Arrowhead
09-30-2008, 11:55 AM

if hes fired then they have to pay him, dont they?

L.A. Chieffan
09-30-2008, 11:56 AM
Hire Kiffin as QB coach, whatever, right now

CoMoChief
09-30-2008, 11:57 AM
I dont even have the words to say what I think about how they handled his (future) dismissal. Thats worse than having Gunther find out over the internet.

At least Kiffin is being stand up about this whole thing. I do think the Raiders are heading the in the right direction.

Someone needs to buy out the Raiders and send Big Al into a retirement home. The guy is COMPLETELY senile.

Hoover
09-30-2008, 11:57 AM
Al said he wasn't going to pay him

Buck
09-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Not going to pay him? Good luck with that. Its going to be nice to see the Raiders get sued for once.

Goapics1
09-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Al Davis prolly had a stipulation in Kiffin's contract saying big Al could fire him for insubordination or some crap like that and not pay him balance of contract. Al is a friggin' idiot. Who would want to coach there?

CoMoChief
09-30-2008, 11:59 AM

That will go to Arbitration and AL Davis will lose that decision, thus paying more for attorneys etc...

what a ****ing idiot.

L.A. Chieffan
09-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Same shit happened with Shanahan and Shanahan sued, won, and STILL didn't get anything. Thats why Shanahan turned playing against the Raiders into a vendetta thing. HIRE KIFFIN NOW

Goapics1
09-30-2008, 12:04 PM
Where's AutumnWind when we need him? Like to know what he thinks.

Coach
09-30-2008, 12:06 PM
Al said he wasn't going to pay him

He'll lose that battle.

FAX
09-30-2008, 12:12 PM
I don't understand. Why hire him in the first place? What reasons were given for his dismissal?

FAX

morphius
09-30-2008, 12:13 PM
He'll lose that battle.
Didn't he do the same thing to Shanahan?

Coach
09-30-2008, 12:15 PM

That was in 1989 IIRC. Alot of things changed, and I'm sure there's some laws/unions will be filing for greivence for the pay.

triple
09-30-2008, 12:16 PM
fire Herm and install Kiffin immediately

Mr. Plow
09-30-2008, 12:27 PM
I'd take Kiffin on our coaching staff. Bring him in.

Brock
09-30-2008, 12:27 PM
Kansas City quarterback Elvis Grbac remembered a story this past week that encapsulated Denver Coach Mike Shanahan, perhaps the smartest and most talented, yet most ruthless, head coach in the National Football League.

It was 1994 and Shanahan and Grbac were both with the San Francisco 49ers. Shanahan, the offensive coordinator, was working with Grbac before a game against Oakland. Shanahan had spent just over one season as coach of the Raiders before being dismissed by the owner, Al Davis. The breakup was bitter, and the two men despised each other, mainly because of a dispute over back pay.

Davis, as he does before almost every game, was walking the field, talking to players and others. Shanahan pulled Grbac aside, Grbac recalled, and gave an unusual order: ''See Al Davis over there? I want you to throw the ball right at him.''

A shocked Grbac replied: ''I can't do that. If I hit him, do you know what he could do to me?''

Shanahan looked at Grbac with his intense glare and said, ''Throw the ball.''

So Grbac did. He threw a tight, hard spiral some 30 yards directly at the head of Davis. At the last second, Davis saw it and ducked, the ball missing him by only a few inches. Davis, his hair ruffled, then made an obscene gesture at Shanahan, witnessed by a former Raiders coach who confirmed Grbac's story.

kstater
09-30-2008, 12:28 PM
I don't understand. Why hire him in the first place? What reasons were given for his dismissal?

FAX

Lane didn't bring Al the right flavor of Ensure.

HC_Chief

Yep, and the result was a HC that has consistently kicked the shite out of the faid since. Glad to see greasy gramps hasn't learned from past mistakes :D

kstater

LMAO

triple
09-30-2008, 12:30 PM

that is awesome, where did you find it?

Pestilence
09-30-2008, 12:30 PM

That's the greatest thing I've ever heard. :D

Brock
09-30-2008, 12:31 PM
that is awesome, where did you find it?

It's an old story that I was looking for and found on this broncos forum.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?p=2309129

DeezNutz
09-30-2008, 12:33 PM
A shocked Grbac replied: ''I can't do that. If I hit him, do you know what he could do to me?''

ROFL

What a surprise from Grbac. What could he do, you little candy-ass?

Coach
09-30-2008, 12:35 PM

LMAO

blueballs
09-30-2008, 12:35 PM
The Rat
from goat to hero in 3 days

Frankie
09-30-2008, 12:48 PM
Kansas City quarterback Elvis Grbac remembered a story this past week that encapsulated Denver Coach Mike Shanahan, perhaps the smartest and most talented, yet most ruthless, head coach in the National Football League.

It was 1994 and Shanahan and Grbac were both with the San Francisco 49ers. Shanahan, the offensive coordinator, was working with Grbac before a game against Oakland. Shanahan had spent just over one season as coach of the Raiders before being dismissed by the owner, . The breakup was bitter, and the two men despised each other, mainly because of a dispute over back pay.

Davis, as he does before almost every game, was walking the field, talking to players and others. Shanahan pulled Grbac aside, Grbac recalled, and gave an unusual order: ''See over there? I want you to throw the ball right at him.''

So Grbac did. He threw a tight, hard spiral some 30 yards directly at the head of Davis. At the last second, Davis saw it and ducked, the ball missing him by only a few inches. Davis, his hair ruffled, then made an obscene gesture at Shanahan, witnessed by a former Raiders coach who confirmed Grbac's story.

That is forever etched in history books as The Day Of The Three Assholes.

DaFace
09-30-2008, 12:51 PM

Must...resist...liking...Shanahan....

Hoover
09-30-2008, 12:53 PM
Rat told Girlback to throw at Davis because he knew the ball wouldn't hit him.

CoMoChief
09-30-2008, 12:55 PM
Must...resist...liking...Shanahan....

**** that Gunther would have walked over there and bitch slapped him in the face.

CoMoChief
09-30-2008, 12:55 PM
Rat told Girlback to throw at Davis because he knew the ball wouldn't hit him.

ROFL It'd sail high

Redrum_69
09-30-2008, 12:56 PM
I know how to increase pass completion...

put a picture of carl peterson on the wide receivers jersey along with the caption:

"What, me worry?"

problem solved...

HemiEd
09-30-2008, 01:02 PM
fire Herm and install Kiffin immediately

:thumb:

With any luck, Al Davis would hire Herm. Herm is a Raider lover anyway.

HemiEd
09-30-2008, 01:04 PM

LMAO

BIG_DADDY
09-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Raiders have called a Tuesday afternoon press conference, leading to speculation that coach Lane Kiffin will be fired.

Defensive coordinator Rob Ryan would seemingly be the obvious choice to replace Kiffin, but owner Al Davis reportedly spent Monday interviewing various members of the offensive staff.

Bye Bye Kiffin, not sure you deserved this but no one deserves the mess which is the Raiders.

Rob Ryan is the one that should have been fired

Dylan
09-30-2008, 01:12 PM
wow... what a nutjob.

http://f3.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_rumors/ept_sports_rumors-833359981-1168276492.jpg?ymNAB28C91I3vpBA

maybe the fans should think about dressing up like al davis -- now that would be funny

TEX
09-30-2008, 01:18 PM
That organization is a fuggin joke. Wow.

Yep. And they kicked our assses at ARROWHEAD...:shake:

R&GHomer
09-30-2008, 02:23 PM
Who in the hell would want to work for that ass hat? Al Davis may be the worst owner in the history of the NFL. Liver spot just needs to up and die already.

Ari Chi3fs
09-30-2008, 02:30 PM
My guess is that when Al Davis dies, there will be no AD patch on the Raiders jerseys. It will be a ray of ****ing sunshine patch, instead.

Mr. Flopnuts
09-30-2008, 02:35 PM
I cant wait until Rob Ryan becomes the coach and they don't win anymore games.

Nothing would be sweeter than this.

kstater
09-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Liver spot just needs to up and die already.

Like hell he does. Long live Al.

morphius
09-30-2008, 02:47 PM
If he plans on not paying up on the contract, then all the other coaches should just walk out. Not that they would, or could afford to do that, but eh, it would make the Raiders suck more, and I'm all for that.

Hays
09-30-2008, 03:16 PM
Tom Cable it looks like is the new HC

PastorMikH
09-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Al is on now on NFL Network - Al has an interesting take that we haven't heard in the media. Flat out calls Kiffin a liar on numerous issues.

BTW Al is looking REALLY old.

Al Bundy
09-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Al is REALLY old, he is simply saying these things so when he goes to challenge having to pay Kiffin the rest of the contract he will have something to "Fall back on". Al is senile enough he probably doesn't realize what is true and what isn't.

Mr. Arrowhead
09-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Al is a Jack ass, he like a 6 year old, "Lane you are a liar"

FAX
09-30-2008, 05:41 PM
You know, in a way, I kind of feel sorry for the old bastard. He probably doesn't even know what's going on half the time. Stubborn old fool. Does he have any children? If so, I'll bet they're pieces of work.

FAX

kstater
09-30-2008, 05:45 PM
You know, in a way, I kind of feel sorry for the old bastard. He probably doesn't even know what's going on half the time. Stubborn old fool. Does he have any children? If so, I'll bet they're pieces of work.

FAX

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/zaza_troublemaker/ling.jpg

Over-Head
09-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Just f***en die already AL.
PLEASE

Does the man have a bet with Willy Ford over in Detroit on who's team can suck the longest?:shake:

Bowser
09-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Ten bucks says Lane is an offensive assistant on the Broncos staff sometime in the very near future.

88TG88
09-30-2008, 05:57 PM
**** that Gunther would have walked over there and bitch slapped him in the face.

LMAO

Monty
09-30-2008, 06:01 PM
Tom Cable it looks like is the new HC

ROFL...The Cable Guy is the the new coach of the Raiders..... ROFL

kstater
09-30-2008, 06:04 PM
All this talk about Al being gone makes me sad. Once Al is gone, the Chiefs will be the worst run franchise in the league. Detroit finally wised up, so KC moved up to #2.

JASONSAUTO
09-30-2008, 06:05 PM
BEST QUOTE OF THE PRESSER: AL SAYS cable was a coach for UCLA "I DONT KNOW WHAT HE DID THERE BUT THEY WERE #1 IN THIS COUNTRY ON OFFENSE" WOW the man has ****ing LOST IT

PastorMikH
09-30-2008, 06:07 PM
Al is REALLY old, he is simply saying these things so when he goes to challenge having to pay Kiffin the rest of the contract he will have something to "Fall back on". Al is senile enough he probably doesn't realize what is true and what isn't.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't put any store in what Al says, I just found it interesting.

Bowser
09-30-2008, 06:09 PM
BEST QUOTE OF THE PRESSER: AL SAYS cable was a coach for UCLA "I DONT KNOW WHAT HE DID THERE BUT THEY WERE #1 IN THIS COUNTRY ON OFFENSE" WOW the man has ****ing LOST IT

OK, that's not so good.

alanm
09-30-2008, 06:14 PM
Quote:

It was 1994 and Shanahan and Grbac were both with the San Francisco 49ers. Shanahan, the offensive coordinator, was working with Grbac before a game against Oakland. Shanahan had spent just over one season as coach of the Raiders before being dismissed by the owner, Al Davis. The breakup was bitter, and the two men despised each other, mainly because of a dispute over back pay.

Davis, as he does before almost every game, was walking the field, talking to players and others. Shanahan pulled Grbac aside, Grbac recalled, and gave an unusual order: ''See Al Davis over there? I want you to throw the ball right at him.''

Ya gotta respect that.:thumb:
Doesn't surprise me that Grbac missed the target though.

Chief Faithful
09-30-2008, 07:01 PM
I watched the press conference and all I can say is Al Davis has lost it. The guy is completely insane. It floors me that Davis is not going to pay the remainder of Kiffin's contract due to cause. No way Davis wins this in court and no sane coach is going to take that job.

This just ensures the Raiders will stay at the bottom of the division for years. If the minority share holders are smart they should sue for control because Davis is insane.

MahiMike
09-30-2008, 07:53 PM
I saw him at the press conference w/a letter he wrote on the projector behind him. Guess he was trying to prove why he doesn't have to pay him.

Count Alex's Wins
09-30-2008, 08:06 PM
Al Davis should seriously have his franchise taken away by the commissioner. There has to be some kind of rule about not effing paying your coach. The Raiders really put the league in a bad light.

JASONSAUTO
09-30-2008, 08:13 PM
so you mean if we fire herm we still have to pay him??? shit he wont ever get fired then:banghead:

Chief Faithful
09-30-2008, 08:18 PM
I saw him at the press conference w/a letter he wrote on the projector behind him. Guess he was trying to prove why he doesn't have to pay him.

Sure he was and the whole thing was surreal. While trying to convince us that Kiffin was insubordinate he came across as an old man suffering from dimentia running around the organization stirring up crap. The man is losing his marbles and is trying to remain in control of an organization that has become too much for him. All Kiffin as to do to collect his check is show that press conference tape to a judge.

Davis is a man who is becoming fearful and paranoid because he is losing control of his own faculties. The minority owners need to sue for control. Hopefully the commissioner steps into this mess and strips Davis of control. This whole thing is incredibly sad.

JASONSAUTO
09-30-2008, 08:28 PM
well the whole hiring of cable shows EXACTLY what al is about. having someone who wants to be told exactly what to do. i think cable has had ONE Head coaching job before where he had a terrible win %, has coached oline in the nfl and thats it. al had an OC and a DC that he hand picked yet neither were satisfactory for the job. so he promotes the oline coach who he cant even SAY what the guy did when he coached at UCLA.

sedated
09-30-2008, 08:51 PM
the whole thing was surreal. he came across as an old man suffering from dimentia running around the organization stirring up crap. The man is losing his marbles... becoming fearful and paranoid because he is losing control of his own faculties.

damn, I wish I would have recorded that press conference. sounds funny as hell.

Valiant
09-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Quote:

Ya gotta respect that.:thumb:
Doesn't surprise me that Grbac missed the target though.

Well the stories says he ducked.. Seems to me it was on target.. Of course if Grbac was not such a bitch, he would have probably held quite a few chiefs records..

Spott
09-30-2008, 10:55 PM
I watched the press conference and all I can say is Al Davis has lost it. The guy is completely insane. It floors me that Davis is not going to pay the remainder of Kiffin's contract due to cause. No way Davis wins this in court and no sane coach is going to take that job.

This just ensures the Raiders will stay at the bottom of the division for years. If the minority share holders are smart they should sue for control because Davis is insane.

IIRC, Davis still hasn't paid Shanahan his salary from the 89 season even though we has court ordered to do so.

"Bob" Dobbs
09-30-2008, 10:58 PM
ROFL...The Cable Guy is the the new coach of the Raiders..... ROFL
"Just Git 'er Dun, Baby!"