PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Lane Kiffen. The next Mike Shanahan?

Der Flöprer
09-30-2008, 06:20 PM
He did a better job with complete shit than any coach I've ever seen. I chided Al Davis when he hired him, laughing all the way to the bank knowing that the Raiders would be in last place every year that he coached there. He looks and smells like the next Mike Shanahan. Should Clark Hunt be making this phone call himself? We know damn well Carl isn't picking up the phone.

I'm watching him on ESPN right now and he is a class act. He's bitter, just like Shanny was, but he is taking the high road right now and it impresses me further. He's young, but he's head coach material. He comes from a good mold too. Monte Kiffin is one of the only Coordinators in this league that kids know by name.

I honestly think this guy could win Superbowls for the Chiefs. How bout you? It just seems so perfect no?

MIAdragon
09-30-2008, 06:23 PM
It just seems so perfect no?

And this is why you know it will never happen.

Deberg_1990
09-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Kiffin as HC next year, with Marvin Lewis as Defensive Coodinator.......sounds easy right? LOL

pr_capone
09-30-2008, 06:26 PM
I asked this not to long ago and got smoked for it.

I would be *ALL* for it.

The Planet seems to think not.... including yourself. lol

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=191646

Der Flöprer
09-30-2008, 06:29 PM

I would be *ALL* for it.

Well, honestly a lot has changed in 2 weeks. I know that sounds retarded, but I had no clue that Kiffin could take those scrubs and make them as good as they've been. They killed us, which isn't saying much, but I'm impressed with what they've brought against the Broncos, and Chargers. Everyone wants a young, up and coming HC, I'm starting to think this might not be so bad. I think they're playing as well as they have in a long time.

JASONSAUTO
Al called today and offered Kiffin 2#1's and a 2 for herm CARL LAUGHED him off the phone LOL

JASONSAUTO
really though SIGN HIM

lunkkunk
09-30-2008, 06:31 PM
Al called today and offered Kiffin 2#1's and a 2 for herm CARL LAUGHED him off the phone LOL

Are you kidding? ROFL

JimNasium
09-30-2008, 06:32 PM

I would be *ALL* for it.

Ouch, that's got to hurt the young Russian.

irishjayhawk
09-30-2008, 06:33 PM
I was impressed with his ESPN interview.

I think I'd be bitter if a 180 year old psycho fired me too for no reason.

kstater
09-30-2008, 06:35 PM
Are you kidding? ROFL

Wow, after 2 years, you decide to make THIS your 1st post?

pr_capone
09-30-2008, 06:35 PM

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

TrebMaxx
09-30-2008, 06:38 PM
Come on. We should all know that if Al Davis discarded him like this he must be talented. Why not?

lunkkunk
09-30-2008, 06:41 PM

Good question...

FAX
09-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Mr. Mr Flopnuts chided, people dieded.

FAX

Frazod
09-30-2008, 06:55 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/11002639

Raise a glass to Lane: Kiffin is toast, free of Davis tyranny<!-- Sesame Modified: 09/30/2008 15:37:56 --><!-- sversion: 4 $Updated: georgem$ -->

Lane Kiffin should head to wine country near the Bay Area and drink himself silly.
Not because he's sad, but because he should be thrilled that the Oakland Raiders (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/page/OAK) fired him Tuesday.
Nobody wants to be fired. It shows failure -- unless, of course, it's Al Davis doing the firing. Davis hired Kiffin in a shocking move in January 2007. Now he's firing him in a move many expected for a long time. Rejoice, Lane, rejoice.

If Davis wants to know the reason Kiffin didn't work out, he should take a long study of that aging reflection that looks back at him each morning.
It's you, Al.

Davis spent like he printed money this offseason, bringing in all types of high-priced free agents. They were his guys, his decisions. He also continued to stick his nose into the defensive side of things, acting as a De facto coordinator.

A coach who was interviewing for the Raiders job before Kiffin got it told me that he was told Davis pretty much would run the defense, no matter who was hired. Davis is often on the field during practices, working with the defense, according to sources. Wonder how Dan Snyder coaches his secondary up? Or Wayne Weaver tutors his offensive line?

Davis was a coach. That was a long time ago. These aren't the Len Dawson Chiefs you're playing, Al. Things have changed. The Raiders were good then. They're a joke now. And the Silver and Black isn't coming back. Not with Al running things.

The Raiders are simply a mess, the worst-run organization in football playing in a dump of a stadium. When Davis leans on his public-relations staff for advice on what to do in terms of firing or hiring a coach, it sends a message that there is no direction in the organization. Hey, guys. Get the release ready and do you have an idea who should coach our team?

The Raiders have had eight coaches in the 14 years since they returned to Oakland. In that time, they've had three winning seasons.

You know the constant? That guy in the white Raiders sweatsuit.

That's not to say Kiffin was perfect. He was known to be arrogant and aloof, two of the same qualities he had when he was the quality-control coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars when I covered that team.

People in the Jaguars building disliked him greatly. He had a sense of entitlement. And don't dare get current UCLA offensive coordinator Norm Chow and Kiffin in a room together. Chow hates him. He has told me in the past that Kiffin undermined him at USC with Pete Carroll. He called him a "bad guy."

In recent weeks, Kiffin has taken to firing shots at Davis. That's because he wanted to get fired, despite what he was saying. He just didn't want to walk away from the remaining $3.5 million on his contract. Who could blame him? But word is that Davis has told him he won't pay him. He's done that in the past. He did that with Mike Shanahan when he fired him.

They say Al Davis likes to win. It seems greed is even more important.
For all the talk that Davis is a football man through and through, you have to remember he's a ruthless businessman first. Go back and look at the history of how he ended up with the majority stake in the Raiders and you won't think twice about the word "ruthless" being thrown in next to his name.

And don't even mention Los Angeles.

Davis hired Kiffin and then turned on him like he does on all his coaches not named Madden. There was talk he even considered firing Kiffin last season. A league source said Davis was willing to fire Kiffin if he could get the right guy to take over.

Davis was hoping things got so bad that Kiffin would walk away. Davis hired receivers coach James Lofton without asking Kiffin. Davis shunned Kiffin's request to fire defensive coordinator Rob Ryan. I mean, co-defensive coordinator Rob Ryan. Al would get mad if we didn't acknowledge his other title.

When Davis was interviewing coaches in 2007, one candidate asked the question nobody can seem to answer. Where does the team go when Davis passes away or walks away?

That's a CIA secret. The coach never got his answer. He also didn't take the job. That's the Raiders way. The less you know, the better it is for everyone. That's how the Al Davis mystique grew so large.

The "Ray-dahs" are his team. Not yours. He does things his way.

Remember: Just Win, Baby.

Now it's Just Sin, Baby.

Davis is guilty of loads of them.

So take a glass and raise it high today, Lane Kiffin. You are free now, free from the mess that everyone probably warned you about before you took the job.

Who's the next fool to take over? Let's put it this way: He better get some holes in his hands so Al's puppet strings can fit in nicely.

Not to mention some of that California wine to help ease the pain of working for Davis.

SBK
09-30-2008, 07:07 PM
Kiffen interests me, but I don't care who the coach is I don't want an arrogant prick. If that's Kiffen no thanks.

Frazod
09-30-2008, 07:26 PM
I'm not advocating this, but just imagine.... Marty as GM and Kiffin as HC. There would be enough abject hatred between the two of them for the rest of the AFC West to make every divisional game a holy war.

TrickyNicky
09-30-2008, 07:29 PM
I don't care if our coach is an arrogant prick. Bellicheck seems like a giant douche at times, same with Tom Coughlin. Can they build a winner? Thats what matters.

Ultra Peanut
09-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Honestly, the guy was kind of lucky to have such a ****ed up situation as his first experience.

I've thought the same thing about him. It would be incredibly interesting to see how it played out, at least.

SBK
09-30-2008, 07:43 PM
I don't care if our coach is an arrogant prick. Bellicheck seems like a giant douche at times, same with Tom Coughlin. Can they build a winner? Thats what matters.

I for one wouldn't want someone so arrogant they'd cheat. I don't want a Denver ** or NE *** next to the title we win.

Tony Dungy has won a SB and he's not a prick. Andy Reid has been there, he doesn't seem like a prick either. I'd like to see someone young, someone that wants a dynasty, and someone that wants to serve as an example. Someone that could be the face of the organization for a long, long time. Pittsburgh has always hired guys to be there a long time, I'd like to follow their example.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here though.

Ultra Peanut
09-30-2008, 07:45 PM
I for one wouldn't want someone so arrogant they'd cheat. I don't want a Denver ** or NE *** next to the title we win.

Tony Dungy has won a SB and he's not a prick. Andy Reid has been there, he doesn't seem like a prick either. I'd like to see someone young, someone that wants a dynasty, and someone that wants to serve as an example. Someone that could be the face of the organization for a long, long time. Pittsburgh has always hired guys to be there a long time, I'd like to follow their example.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here though.Oh, **** that. Gimme all da asterisks you've got.

TrickyNicky
09-30-2008, 07:47 PM
They haven't put asterisks next to anything involving Denver or NE's championships. They probably never will. I'm not saying we should butter up our jerseys or videotape other teams practicing. I'm saying I don't care how a coach is viewed if he can win.

KcMizzou
09-30-2008, 07:49 PM
They haven't put asterisks next to anything involving Denver or NE's championships. They probably never will. I'm not saying we should butter up our jerseys or videotape other teams practicing. I'm saying I don't care how a coach is viewed if he can win.Seriously.

What's better? A coach who's considered an asshole, but wins a lot. Or a coach who's considered a dumbass, and loses a lot.

SBK
09-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Seriously.

What's better? A coach who's considered an asshole, but wins a lot. Or a coach who's considered a dumbass, and loses a lot.

Exactly, because only pricks can win.

KcMizzou
09-30-2008, 08:24 PM
Exactly, because only pricks can win.I don't think that's what I said at all...

Count Alex's Losses
09-30-2008, 08:25 PM
We already have our arrogant prick, remember?

kc rush
09-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Oh, **** that. Gimme all da asterisks you've got.

wait, one more *

better?

sedated
09-30-2008, 08:47 PM
we gotta bring him in for a look

Ebolapox
09-30-2008, 08:58 PM
shit... I want a super bowl. I'd give my left nut for a super bowl victory. if he can take us to the promised land, screw it. DO IT, CARL!

ChiefsCountry
09-30-2008, 09:06 PM
Vermeil was an agrroant asshole prick. He came across as Grandpa Dick but everybody in the organization not named Peterson hated him.

ChiefsCountry
09-30-2008, 09:15 PM
It sounds like Kiffin would make one hell of a college coach, where he can control everything. I bet every major AD has him on their radar right now.

Frazod
09-30-2008, 09:17 PM
Vermeil was an agrroant asshole prick. He came across as Grandpa Dick but everybody in the organization not named Peterson hated him.

I never thought of him as Grandfatherly. Neither of my grandfathers cried like little girls.

Spott
09-30-2008, 09:25 PM
Al Davis is completely senile and retarded. I am happy that the immortal douche will keep running the Gayders into the ground for a long, long time.

Chiefshrink
09-30-2008, 09:29 PM
I was impressed last year that he took a "diarrhea team" and was actually producing decent turds by the end of the season. Lane must have really pissed him off behind closed doors. Not only Shannahan but remember Marcus Allen. Totally F'd him over. Al was stupid enough to let him go to a divisional rival how blessed we were. Smartest RB I have ever seen run.

Thig Lyfe
09-30-2008, 09:45 PM
we gotta bring him in for a look

Can he play QB?

TrebMaxx
09-30-2008, 09:48 PM
Al Davis is completely senile and retarded. I am happy that the immortal douche will keep running the Gayders into the ground for a long, long time.

It would be nice if it is for a long, long time. But something tells me by looking at that skeleton time is not on his side.

cdcox
09-30-2008, 10:01 PM

This.

RustShack
09-30-2008, 10:06 PM
I think we should bring in Lane Kiffen. Especially if he brings his father Monte to the the DC like he wanted to in Oakland before Al Davis put a stop to that. Kiffin can run the tampa two 100x better than Gun, and we already have the players in place to run the Tampa Two thanks to Herm. I also think we need an offensive HC like Lane to get our offense going again. I really think if we got those two our team would be turned around. Hell if Gun wants to stay he can be the LB's coach. If it were Only lane Kiffen, I wouldn't go for it. Both or no deal. Hell I would even be willing to put up with Carl and the rest of the front office if they keep procucing drafts like the last one, I don't think it was all Herm.

Spott
09-30-2008, 10:08 PM
It would be nice if it is for a long, long time. But something tells me by looking at that skeleton time is not on his side.

He looks 5 years past dead in that video clip I saw of him today, but luckily there are miracles in modern medicine that could keep him around for another 20 years.

ChiefsCountry
09-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Well Kiffin not wanting JaMarcus Russell makes me like him alot more.

rambleonthruthefog
09-30-2008, 10:25 PM

I'm sure I'm in the minority here though.

i agree, hire cowher

ClevelandBronco
09-30-2008, 10:30 PM
He did a better job with complete shit than any coach I've ever seen. I chided Al Davis when he hired him, laughing all the way to the bank knowing that the Raiders would be in last place every year that he coached there. He looks and smells like the next Mike Shanahan. Should Clark Hunt be making this phone call himself? We know damn well Carl isn't picking up the phone.

I'm watching him on ESPN right now and he is a class act. He's bitter, just like Shanny was, but he is taking the high road right now and it impresses me further. He's young, but he's head coach material. He comes from a good mold too. Monte Kiffin is one of the only Coordinators in this league that kids know by name.

I honestly think this guy could win Superbowls for the Chiefs. How bout you? It just seems so perfect no?

Shanny benefited from having a mature and tested John Elway already in place. That's a pretty big difference right there.

ClevelandBronco
09-30-2008, 10:38 PM
And of course he got lucky (or good, or lucky — probably lucky) as hell coming up with Terrell Davis.

Of course there were some other key parts. The O-line was at its absolute peak. Howard Griffith was the best possible lead blocker for a guy like Terrell.

The defense was solid. (Thanks for Neil Smith, BTW.)

If Kiffen can step into a situation like that, I'm pretty sure he could win a ring or two.