PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Stafford vs Bradford

irishjayhawk
09-30-2008, 09:17 PM
I see the board pretty much split on the two right now.

What's your argument for who you would pick, assuming both come out and we have the choice?

DeezNutz
09-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Size and system. Thus, Stafford.

smittysbar
09-30-2008, 09:27 PM
Bradford IMO no question

Tribal Warfare
09-30-2008, 09:28 PM
I already made my case about Bradford's qualities as a calculating, precise, intelligent, and a natural leader.

ChiefsCountry
09-30-2008, 09:28 PM
Dig up Mecca's thread on this.

aturnis
09-30-2008, 09:29 PM
Size and system. Thus, Stafford.

Why would the spread be a plus?

irishjayhawk
09-30-2008, 09:29 PM
Bradford IMO no question

Why, though?

MIAdragon
09-30-2008, 09:34 PM
Bradford plays behind a GREAT line, Id like to see him under presure.

ChiefsCountry
09-30-2008, 09:36 PM
For me I like Bradford better bc of the leadership, poise, and accuaracy. Now you got to love Stafford's arm and body. He is what you want physically in a QB. Its Tom Brady vs Carson Palmer debate basically. Throw out Brady's championships and compare the two that is what we are going on with Bradford and Stafford IMO.

Ebolapox
09-30-2008, 09:36 PM

since when does georgia run the spread option?

Ebolapox
09-30-2008, 09:37 PM
For me I like Bradford better bc of the leadership, poise, and accuaracy. Now you got to love Stafford's arm and body. He is what you want physically in a QB. Its Tom Brady vs Carson Palmer debate basically. Throw out Brady's championships and compare the two that is what we are going on with Bradford and Stafford IMO.

yeah, because brady's arm is shit.

palmer may be a BIT more prototype, but brady has the size and arm as well.

Deberg_1990
09-30-2008, 09:38 PM
Ill wait until the Combine in Feb to make a determination.

ChiefsCountry
09-30-2008, 09:39 PM
Ill wait until the Combine in Feb to make a determination.

Then it will be Stafford for you. He will test off the charts.

SBK
09-30-2008, 09:39 PM
Duh, it's Bradford. Here's why:

1. He plays in the Big 12
2. I saw Stafford throw and incomplete pass once.

Deberg_1990
09-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Who was the last Big 12 QB who became a really good Pro QB???

SBK
09-30-2008, 09:47 PM

Nate Hybl, Josh Heupel, Jason White?

Frazod
09-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Daniel :rockon:

Deberg_1990
09-30-2008, 09:48 PM
Nate Hybl, Josh Heupel, Jason White?

Ummm....next.

DeezNutz

It's not. That's why I say Stafford.

Spott

Have there been any good SEC ones not named Manning?

DeezNutz
09-30-2008, 09:52 PM

That guy is Denver looks like he might be pretty darn good for a long time...

RustShack

Sage Rosenfells, Seneca Wallace... :) Go Iowa State!!!

Deberg_1990

YOu could make an argument Rex Grossman is a better pro QB than Vince Young.

Mecca
09-30-2008, 09:53 PM

Jay Cutler is from the SEC.

ChiefsCountry

If you count Aikman's two years at OU. Then Aikman. ;)

Big 12/Big 8/SWC had been an option based league for so long and now with the spread its not exactly a QB producing league.

RustShack
Personally I believe Stafford is without a doubt the best Pro prospect this year. I have Sanchez 2nd with Bradford right behind him... I personally don't like any of the senior QB's this year either.

DeezNutz
Repost, Mecca.

Mecca
Wow the Big 12 really hasn't produced any good pro QB's.....that's not a good sign.

SBK
09-30-2008, 09:56 PM
Ummm....next.

All from Stoops system. A heisman winner and national championship winner in there.....

LiL stumppy
09-30-2008, 09:57 PM

Our line should be improved enough to give him some time to make plays.

Bradford without question. Just a natural football player.

notorious
Stafford doesn't impress me. Here are some stat comparisons:

J Freeman 6'6 250

2007 316-499 63% 3353 yds 6.7avg 18TD 11INT
2008 77-115 67% 1105 yds 9.6avg 11TD 2 INT

M Stafford 6'3 237

2007 194-348 56% 2523 yds 7.2 avg 19 TD 10 INT
2008 86-144 59% 1193yds 8.2avg 7TD 1 INT

Both are big and strong with HUGE arms. There is an obvious difference in strength of defenses they have played against. Stafford has the better coaching and a lot more talent around him to offset that difference.

I am not a huge fan of Freeman, hence the skepticisim of Stafford.

So somebody give me a reason why Stafford is so special. PLEASE convince me! I want to believe.

Spott
Jay Cutler is from the SEC.

I forget that Vanderbilt is in the SEC. It just doesn't seem right that there are academic schools in the South.

ChiefsCountry
All from Stoops system. A heisman winner and national championship winner in there.....

Do you want to do the same with Mark Richt? Look at his FSU Quarterbacks.

Deberg_1990
Wow the Big 12 really hasn't produced any good pro QB's.....that's not a good sign.

Like i tried to say...when Vince Young is your gold standard for conference QB's...........ROFL

T-post Tom
09-30-2008, 09:59 PM
Croyle is the future, baby! When all ya haters gonna believe?

[I'm Herm Edwards and I approve this post.]

Mecca
09-30-2008, 10:00 PM
Stafford doesn't impress me. Here are some stat comparisons:

J Freeman 6'6 250

2007 316-499 63% 3353 yds 6.7avg 18TD 11INT
2008 77-115 67% 1105 yds 9.6avg 11TD 2 INT

M Stafford 6'3 237

2007 194-348 56% 2523 yds 7.2 avg 19 TD 10 INT
2008 86-144 59% 1193yds 8.2avg 7TD 1 INT

Both are big and strong with HUGE arms. There is an obvious difference in strength of defenses they have played against. Stafford has the better coaching and a lot more talent around him to offset that difference.

I am not a huge fan of Freeman, hence the skepticisim of Stafford.

So somebody give me a reason why Stafford is so special. PLEASE convince me! I want to believe.

Well in fairness here Georgia's schedule is 100 times what Kstates is, and Georgia has some god awful WR's or had I should say now they have 1 guy.

ChiefsCountry
09-30-2008, 10:00 PM
Historically the best QB's come from the Big Ten, PAC-10 or SEC mainly Alabama.

Mr. Laz
09-30-2008, 10:06 PM
all i know is that i don't want Carl and Herm making this decision.

and i sure as hell don't want Herm Coaching him

Deberg_1990
09-30-2008, 10:07 PM
all i know is that i don't want Carl and Herm making this decision.

and i sure as hell don't want Herm Coaching him

Good Point.

ChiefsCountry
09-30-2008, 10:08 PM
If Stafford and Bradford stay in school, 2010 could end up looking like 1983 draft. Stafford, Bradford, Sanchez, Freeman.

notorious
09-30-2008, 10:09 PM
You are absolutely correct on the schedule and the lack of WR's for Georgia. They also run two completely different systems of O. The stats aren't meant for solid evidence or the Brigham Young QB's from the 80's would all be HOFers. It just scares the hell out of me the very close similarities in the two of them. One is being touted as a top 3 pick and the other is going to be lucky to be drafted by round 4 according to a few on CP.

Sorry Mecca, I hope Stafford kicks some major ass so that when/if we pick him up it will set my mind as ease.

But if my mind were to be at ease I wouldn't be a Chiefs fan.

It's like Hold Em' when you are holding a possible straight but you need to get lucky on that one card (Stafford) to come on the river after the previous game you got screwed on the flop (Croyle).

Direckshun
09-30-2008, 10:17 PM
I'm sold, completely and utterly, on Sam Bradford. There is maybe a handful of atmospheres in the NFL, and I'm being generous here, that compare to the pressure of being a starting true freshman at OU.

Bradford responds with 30+ touchdowns and 10 INTs. OU beats Mizzou twice. They almost make it to the national championship game. Kid is a leader who can step up to any level of any game. He hasn't wilted this year, either, still looking great as the season starts.

Stafford looks like he could be great, but Bradford will be great. And he will be great for 15 years.

Mark it down; I am a Bradford homer.

ChiefsCountry
09-30-2008, 10:19 PM
I'm sold, completely and utterly, on Sam Bradford. There is maybe a handful of atmospheres in the NFL, and I'm being generous here, that compare to the pressure of being a starting true freshman at OU.

Bradford responds with 30+ touchdowns and 10 INTs. OU beats Mizzou twice. They almost make it to the national championship game. Kid is a leader who can step up to any level of any game. He hasn't wilted this year, either, still looking great as the season starts.

Stafford looks like he could be great, but Bradford will be great. And he will be great for 15 years.

He was a redshirt freshman but otherwise good post.

Direckshun
09-30-2008, 10:19 PM

So why not build a great line for him?

SBK
09-30-2008, 10:35 PM

That year he was sitting on the bench Stafford was out beating the SEC, as a true freshman.

I'm a Stafford homer. :D

RustShack
09-30-2008, 10:51 PM
Is it just me or do great QB's typically come from smaller colleges that aren't one of the "top" schools and also don't run the spread offense?

evolve27
09-30-2008, 10:56 PM
Bradford has better decision making tahn Stafford and hasn't lost yet this year.

DeezNutz
09-30-2008, 10:58 PM
Is it just me or do great QB's typically come from smaller colleges that aren't one of the "top" schools and also don't run the spread offense?

I guess it depends on your interpretation of "top" schools.

RustShack
09-30-2008, 10:58 PM
What if Stafford improves his decision making over the year? I personally am in favor of drafting Stafford in the 1st and letting him sit out a year to learn more about decision making and yada yada... plus it would add another year to build the team up around him.

RustShack
09-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Yes, it's just you.

Give me some names from this long long list then. I said top team, so these QB's should be on top 5, hell even top 10 during thier time there.

DeezNutz
09-30-2008, 11:01 PM
I guess it depends on your interpretation of "top" schools.

Give me some names from this long long list then. I said top team, so these QB's should be on top 5, hell even top 10 during thier time there.

ChiefsCountry
09-30-2008, 11:02 PM
What if Stafford improves his decision making over the year?

Then he is freaking John Elway and you take him in a heartbeat.

RustShack
09-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Well before you said its just you, I'm glad you changed your post.

RustShack
09-30-2008, 11:03 PM
Then he is freaking John Elway and you take him in a heartbeat.

I think drafting him and sitting him for a year will help his desision making out a lot, and also gives us another year to build the team up around him. That COULD be the makings of a great team for years to come.

SBK
09-30-2008, 11:03 PM
I'm going to go with Mecca on this, Bradford is preferred because he's been seen more since he's in the Big 12.

Coach
09-30-2008, 11:10 PM
Well in fairness here Georgia's schedule is 100 times what Kstates is, and Georgia has some god awful WR's or had I should say now they have 1 guy.

And K-State doesn't have a running game, and their coaching staff are a bunch of idiots who doesn't have a clue as to how to maximize Freeman's talents.

Pablo
09-30-2008, 11:23 PM
I haven't read through the thread, so I'm sure most of this has been stated but:

Stafford.

1) He's the perfect prototype(size, weight, build) 2) He has the stronger arm of the two 3) He can make ANY throw on the field. He can throw into tight windows and put the ball in a shoebox when he needs to. 4) He's done a very good job with a shitty supporting cast. Knowshon and AJ Green aside, Georgia's offensive surrounding cast is shit. The line is bad, the WR play is pathetic, and Stafford makes throws behind a bad line, much like he'd have to in KC. Sort of like Ryan did last year.

Things I don't like about Stafford, that I do with Bradford.

Bradford makes less mistakes and is less of a gunslinger. Stafford trusts his arm a bit too much at times. Bradford has great mechanics and footwork. He won't need a whole lot of coaching to be a good QB in this league. Stafford has a bit of a sidearm release at times, and he gets happy feet every now and then.

That being said, I think Bradford has a servicable arm and will make somebody a good QB in the NFL...he doesn't have to make as many NFL throws as Stafford. Stafford has the armstrength and mobility to go across his body on the run 20 yards downfield on the money. I don't see that in Bradford. Not to fault Bradford for having a great surrounding cast, but he's really got it pretty easy back there behind that OU line.

I wouldn't be upset with either. I'd love to see either one of these guys in a Chiefs uniform. Love it. At this point, barring a total meltdown by Stafford this season, I've seen enough to really love him as a pro QB prospect. As much as I hate Jay Cutler, he's gonna be a stud QB in this league for a long time, and Stafford could be Cutler all over again. Just like on Sunday when Cutler trusted his arm a bit too much, and threw into small windows and made mistakes...Stafford will do that. But he'll also make quite a few WTF throws that you can't believe either.

notorious
09-30-2008, 11:33 PM
And K-State doesn't have a running game, and their coaching staff are a bunch of idiots who doesn't have a clue as to how to maximize Freeman's talents.

I agree.

I do not want either Bradford or Stafford in red if our current coaching staff is still in place. If they draft a QB with this staff to bring him along, it would be an immediate end to all hope for the poor guy's career.

If you are going to spend millions upon millions on a QBOTF, why not throw a LOT of money at the very best QB coach and O-Coordinator on the PLANET (not Chiefsplanet LOL). There is no salary cap for coaches, so why do we contine to have these jokes on the sideline?

Chiefnj2
09-30-2008, 11:39 PM
Bradford after another year in college.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-30-2008, 11:39 PM
People are taking this shit way too personally. It's almost like they are defending their own family members from personal attack.

Like I've said earlier, people almost become pot committed to their arguments, and they'll make asinine assumptions and conclusions in order to back them up.

The fact of the matter is that if you are looking at raw physical ability, Matt Stafford has more than Sam Bradford. No one knows if he has the intangibles because they are intangible, they aren't measurable. You haven't been in the huddle with either of them, and you haven't interviewed them.

Bradford may end up being a Tom Brady-like pro. However, he's surrounded by a ton of talent, with three legit NFL lineman blocking for him, including two late first-early second rounders this year.

People forget that Roethlisberger, Matt Ryan, Cutler, Rivers, and Carson Palmer (for his first 2 years) did not have a lot of talent around them. None of them put up all world stats, but they had the raw physical ability, and aside from Rivers, all of them had at least serviceable mechanics (I'm looking at you, Tim Tebow).

If you are that worried about decision making, why did Roethlisberger throw almost 35 picks against MAC competition in college? Stafford doesn't continually lob the ball into double and triple coverage.

Just because a QB has a strong arm doesn't mean he's a gunslinger. It means he has a strong arm. That's about as intelligent as saying Black QB=running threat who should be a WR.

notorious
09-30-2008, 11:40 PM
I apologize for pulling this a little off topic by mentioning Freeman so much, but with the similarities between Freeman and Stafford, why not go with the cheaper/late round version?

I do NOT want Freeman unless he was a late rounder, though.

Once again, if the QBOTF has the proper tools and instinct, coaching is EVERYTHING!

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-30-2008, 11:43 PM
I'm going to go with Mecca on this, Bradford is preferred because he's been seen more since he's in the Big 12.

You're going with Mecca, courtesy of Hamas :p

KCrockaholic
09-30-2008, 11:51 PM
I apologize for pulling this a little off topic by mentioning Freeman so much, but with the similarities between Freeman and Stafford, why not go with the cheaper/late round version?

I do NOT want Freeman unless he was a late rounder, though.

Once again, if the QBOTF has the proper tools and instinct, coaching is EVERYTHING!

true that. Freeman is not an NFL qb...not only is he overrated, but he has mental issues as well...basically a selfish SOB...i know this because i went to school right next to him and heard about him all the time. He will be a locker room cancer in the NFL unless he can put his head on straight

KCrockaholic
09-30-2008, 11:52 PM
Bradford after another year in college.

FTW

Pablo
09-30-2008, 11:54 PM
true that. Freeman is not an NFL qb...not only is he overrated, but he has mental issues as well...basically a selfish SOB...i know this because i went to school right next to him and heard about him all the time. He will be a locker room cancer in the NFL unless he can put his head on straightHigh school hotshots tend to be humbled in the NCAA. And all over again in the NFL.

I'd imagine his maturity from high school years to now is vastly different.

SBK
09-30-2008, 11:56 PM
You're going with Mecca, courtesy of Hamas :p

Then I'll go with Mecca, courtesy of Hamas.

I do like what you posted in the other thread and referenced here. Very true.

KCCHIEFS27
10-01-2008, 01:08 AM
In all honesty, I kind of like Dan LeFevour from CMU..

HolmeZz
10-01-2008, 01:12 AM
I love Stafford's arm.

I love Bradford's accuracy and the touch on his passes.

I honestly wouldn't know who to pick right now.

Deberg_1990
10-01-2008, 06:52 AM

Good QB's can come from almost anywhere:

Cutler, Romo, Trent Green, Trent Edwards, McNabb, Eli Manning, Kurt Warner, Drew Brees, Jake Delhomme, Phillip Rivers, David Garrard...

There is no science to it. Its a HUGE crapshoot.

Mecca
10-01-2008, 07:20 AM
Here you go some Scott Wright thoughts.

In my opinion Matthew Stafford is absolutely worthy of being the #1 overall pick. Not only does he have all the physical tools you look for, including one of the strongest arms in all of football, but he also possesses terrific intangibles and will have almost 40 career starts in the SEC under his belt by the end of the 2008 season. Coming into his junior year the only big question mark with Stafford was his decision making (26/23 TD-to-INT Ratio) but through four games this year he has yet to throw a single pick.

He's the total package.

I also think Stafford stacks up very well against the first quarterbacks selected in the last four NFL Drafts (Alex Smith, Vince Young, JaMarcus Russell and Matt Ryan). In fact, I will go out on a limb and say Stafford would be the best of that bunch, however bear in mind that in three of those four cases I didn't have the first quarterback selected as my top rated signal caller. In 2005 I had Aaron Rodgers ahead of Alex Smith, in 2006 I had Matt Leinart ahead of Vince Young, and in 2007 I had Brady Quinn ahead of JaMarcus Russell. Stafford is the real deal and deserves all the hype he is receiving.

- Scott Wright, Draft Countdown

the Talking Can
10-01-2008, 07:43 AM
haven't read the thread yet, but i was all about bradford

after having seen stafford, even in the alabama blowout...I'm more intrigued by his potential...he throws on the run very well...puts the ball in tight spaces....and has a freakish arm (more than croyle even) and a fast release...

he is "farve"-ish with all the pros and cons that implies...and he'd need a year on the bench, ideally, i think...

but given the choice, straight up, I think i'd take stafford....

his mobilty will also help keep him alive as he learns and our ol grows

kepp
10-01-2008, 08:19 AM
I'm torn and I'd probably be excited to get either one, but right now I'm leaning towards Bradford because of his accuracy. From the Georgia games I've watched, its obvious Stafford has a great arm and is poised. But from the stats you can see that Bradford is quite a bit more accurate. If we get a big, strong-armed but inaccurate QB, wouldn't that just be like a Brody Croyle that stays healthy?

Mecca
10-01-2008, 08:21 AM
I'm torn and I'd probably be excited to get either one, but right now I'm leaning towards Bradford because of his accuracy. From the Georgia games I've watched, its obvious Stafford has a great arm and is poised. But from the stats you can see that Bradford is quite a bit more accurate. If we get a big, strong-armed but inaccurate QB, wouldn't that just be like a Brody Croyle that stays healthy?

Well other than Stafford is about 40lbs heavier and doesn't have a history of being made of glass.

I have to see Bradford make NFL throws before I put any kind of major thought into wanting to draft him. Stafford plays in the toughest conference with a horrible receiving crew and has to make NFL throws into tight windows to me that helps prepare him alot more than throwing to guys who are running free.

Lzen
10-01-2008, 08:33 AM
If Stafford and Bradford stay in school, 2010 could end up looking like 1983 draft. Stafford, Bradford, Sanchez, Freeman.

So which 1983 guy does Freeman compare to? Blackledge?

Mecca
10-01-2008, 08:35 AM
So which 1983 guy does Freeman compare to? Blackledge?

That's rather harsh......in fairness anyone who thinks Freeman isn't going to be a reasonably high pick in the words of Mel Kiper "doesn't know what the draft is all about"

Every single scout will drool over a guy who's 6'6 with a big arm and he doesn't even have the lanky Flacco body he already has the weight. If Joe Flacco can go in the 1st Freeman surely can he actually is probably a better prospect physically than Flacco is.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-01-2008, 08:44 AM
That's rather harsh......in fairness anyone who thinks Freeman isn't going to be a reasonably high pick in the words of Mel Kiper "doesn't know what the draft is all about"

Every single scout will drool over a guy who's 6'6 with a big arm and he doesn't even have the lanky Flacco body he already has the weight. If Joe Flacco can go in the 1st Freeman surely can he actually is probably a better prospect physically than Flacco is.

I was surprised how skeletal Flacco looked in his postgame PC Monday night.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-01-2008, 08:48 AM

Remember that throw Flacco made on Monday night that hung up, and almost got picked by Polamalu, even though the WR was wide open when he released it? That's a prime example of the need to throw it into a window and on a line to be successful. Those are the kinds of throws Stafford has to make on almost every throw because his WRs can't separate.

Mecca
10-01-2008, 08:52 AM
Remember that throw Flacco made on Monday night that hung up, and almost got picked by Polamalu, even though the WR was wide open when he released it? That's a prime example of the need to throw it into a window and on a line to be successful. Those are the kinds of throws Stafford has to make on almost every throw because his WRs can't separate.

That's my thing with Bradford he doesn't even have to worry about windows, in the NFL windows and throwing lanes open and close very quickly. He won't be throwing to guys who run so wide open he can just loft it out there to them like he does now.

Stafford is in the same situation that Ryan was, the lack of talent around him forces him to make NFL throws right now so he is actually better prepared, and he has much more natural talent than Ryan does.

Lzen
10-01-2008, 09:00 AM

Well, who are the great QBs in the NFL right now?

Manning - Tennessee
Brady - Michigan
Romo - E. Illinois
Favre - So. Miss.

Those are just off the top of my head.

Edit: Or just for fun, how about the current top 10 rated NFL QBs?

1. Brett Favre - So. Miss - 110.8
2. Phillip Rivers - NC State -109.8
3. Drew Brees - Purdue - 106.9
4. Jason Campbell - Auburn - 102.2
5. Kurt Warner - No. Iowa - 100.8
6. Tony Romo - E. Illinois - 99.0
7. Jay Cutler - Vanderbilt - 98.6
8. Donnovan McNabb - Syracuse - 95.7
9. Trent Edwards - Stanford - 93.5
10. Ben Rothlisberger - Miami(OH) - 93.3

17. (Tied w/Russell) Damon Huard - Washington - 84.9
33. Tyler Thigpen - Coastal Carolina - 38.3

cmh6476
10-01-2008, 09:05 AM
Reesing

Lzen
10-01-2008, 09:12 AM

Hence the comparison to ole Todd. He was a first round pick in 83. :D

Pssst, Mecca. I was just trying to rile up some Kitty fans. ;)

Mecca
10-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Hence the comparison to ole Todd. He was a first round pick in 83. :D

Pssst, Mecca. I was just trying to rile up some Kitty fans. ;)

My post was more in reference to the guy who was acting like Freeman would be a 4th round pick.

chiefs1okie
10-01-2008, 11:01 AM
One of the things that make Bradford look so good is that he often throws the reciever to the ball rather than throw the ball to the reciever. What I mean by that is when he sees one on one with a reciever running a fly or deep post is that he will throw the ball to a spot where the defender cant adjust to and make his reciever go get it, rather than throwing into a pattern where the corner or safety has position and could potentially make a play. He isnt gunshy about standing in a collapsing pocket either, and although I have read several people mention that he doesnt make NFL type throws, all I can say is watch him a little closer. I think his poise and ability to read a defense is outstanding already and he is only going to continue to get better. In case you havent figured it out already, I would love to see Bradford in KC.

SBK
10-01-2008, 01:44 PM
After watching UGA several times this year there is no doubt if they had an average QB they'd barely be in the top 25. Moreno gets all the press, but it's Stafford who wins them games.

Bad line, bad WR's, bad TE's, great RB. That's what he has to work with.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-01-2008, 01:51 PM
One of the things that make Bradford look so good is that he often throws the reciever to the ball rather than throw the ball to the reciever. What I mean by that is when he sees one on one with a reciever running a fly or deep post is that he will throw the ball to a spot where the defender cant adjust to and make his reciever go get it, rather than throwing into a pattern where the corner or safety has position and could potentially make a play.

What quarterback worth a shit doesn't do this? Every QB is taught to throw to the receiver's outside shoulder if he is running a fly pattern down the sideline.

Same thing with a slant. If the receiver on the left of the formation is running a slant over the middle, you lead into his left shoulder as he makes the break and exposes his chest back to the quarterback.

notorious
10-01-2008, 04:12 PM
My post was more in reference to the guy who was acting like Freeman would be a 4th round pick.

Oh no, I believe Freeman will be a 1st rounder, that's just the way it works. Scouts will drool over the fact that he can throw the ball like it was shot out of a cannon and he is absolutely huge. On a recruiting trip to KU two years ago they put us right behind the KSU bench. One of the mothers ask me who the big guy was and I told her it was Freeman. She couldn't believe the biggest guy on the team was the QB(moms, LOL).

There are few on here that believe he will be a late rounder, I believe he will go top 32.

Sorry, I am just drawing parallels between Freeman and Stafford. If you want one of them so bad, why not the other? For me, I say no to both at this point of the young season.

Toad
10-01-2008, 06:39 PM
Here you go some Scott Wright thoughts.

In my opinion Matthew Stafford is absolutely worthy of being the #1 overall pick. Not only does he have all the physical tools you look for, including one of the strongest arms in all of football, but he also possesses terrific intangibles and will have almost 40 career starts in the SEC under his belt by the end of the 2008 season. Coming into his junior year the only big question mark with Stafford was his decision making (26/23 TD-to-INT Ratio) but through four games this year he has yet to throw a single pick.

He's the total package.

I also think Stafford stacks up very well against the first quarterbacks selected in the last four NFL Drafts (Alex Smith, Vince Young, JaMarcus Russell and Matt Ryan). In fact, I will go out on a limb and say Stafford would be the best of that bunch, however bear in mind that in three of those four cases I didn't have the first quarterback selected as my top rated signal caller. In 2005 I had Aaron Rodgers ahead of Alex Smith, in 2006 I had Matt Leinart ahead of Vince Young, and in 2007 I had Brady Quinn ahead of JaMarcus Russell. Stafford is the real deal and deserves all the hype he is receiving.

- Scott Wright, Draft Countdown

He must have wrote this before the Alabama game b/c he threw a pick in that game this past weekend. He brings up a good point though. After the season, I'd like to see how both Stafford and Bradford grade out relative past top QB's (Quinn or Ryan for example).

BigVE
10-01-2008, 07:24 PM
For me the debate is unnecessary...IF both of these guys come out of college/enter the draft we will be fine if we pick either one of them. This just makes it LESS important for us to end up with the number one pick next year because there will potentially be two top notch qb's available for us when we pick top 5. Win win situation for Chiefs fans assuming we end up with either one of these guys.

ILChief
10-01-2008, 07:49 PM
I think we may have a good shot to snag the top QB in the draft. Detroit is our real competitor for the top QB. Look at the other "contenders" for the top picks:

Rams - just gave Bulger a ton of cash, probably looking for OL
Bengals - they have Palmer, no way they take a QB
Raiders - just drafted Russell, no way they take a QB
Falcons - just drafted Ryan, no way they take a QB
Dolphins - doubt they would draft a QB without seeing what Henne can do
Vikings - would love to draft a QB, but I can't see them picking ahead of us barring a trade
Browns - doubt they'll pick ahead of us plus they have QBs out the ass
Texans - could possibly take a QB but they have more pressing needs

So I really think it comes down to us and Detroit for the top QB.

SBK
10-01-2008, 07:55 PM
I think we may have a good shot to snag the top QB in the draft. Detroit is our real competitor for the top QB. Look at the other "contenders" for the top picks:

Rams - just gave Bulger a ton of cash, probably looking for OL
Bengals - they have Palmer, no way they take a QB
Raiders - just drafted Russell, no way they take a QB
Falcons - just drafted Ryan, no way they take a QB
Dolphins - doubt they would draft a QB without seeing what Henne can do
Vikings - would love to draft a QB, but I can't see them picking ahead of us barring a trade
Browns - doubt they'll pick ahead of us plus they have QBs out the ass
Texans - could possibly take a QB but they have more pressing needs

So I really think it comes down to us and Detroit for the top QB.

I think us, Detroit and the Rams are the only ones who are bad enough to be considered for the top pick next year. Maybe the Bengals too.

Either way I think you're right that it'd be KC and DET looking at QB's.

MahiMike
10-01-2008, 08:28 PM
Who's Bradford?

alanm
10-01-2008, 08:37 PM
To tell you the truth I can't really think of one.
Not really the Big 8 really other than Vince Ferragamo. Ultimately it all comes down to being able to play from under center and the ability to read defenses.

Coach
10-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Not a good Pro QB, and not the Big XII, but the last QB from the Big 8/Big XII that I can think of was Kordell Stewart.

ILChief
10-01-2008, 08:48 PM
I think us, Detroit and the Rams are the only ones who are bad enough to be considered for the top pick next year. Maybe the Bengals too.

Let's hope the Lions win a few games :)

ILChief
10-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Not a good Pro QB, and not the Big XII, but the last QB from the Big 8/Big XII that I can think of was Kordell Stewart.

Chris Simms and Vince Young. Again, not the greatest

alanm
10-01-2008, 08:56 PM
True dat. But the last good pro QB from the Big 8/12 that I could think of was Ferragamo. Unless I'm missing someone. :hmmm:

Tribal Warfare
10-01-2008, 09:12 PM

Kitna is a streaky QB, when he he's off his game, he's really really into the suck. Though at the same time when he's on, he looks like a good to pro-bowl level QB.

SBK
10-01-2008, 11:30 PM
Kitna is a streaky QB, when he he's off his game, he's really really into the suck. Though at the same time when he's on, he looks like a good to pro-bowl level QB.

His old as crap though. Isn't he in the mid-high 30's?

RustShack
10-02-2008, 12:44 AM

What ever happend to Drew Stanton? The Lions drafted him early in the 2nd and he has yet to get his shot?

SBK
10-02-2008, 12:48 AM
What ever happend to Drew Stanton? The Lions drafted him early in the 2nd and he has yet to get his shot?

Forgot about him. Maybe we can get that franchise QB if we're not sitting in the 1 slot.....?

RustShack
10-02-2008, 12:57 AM
Bring me Stafford! **** Bradford!

SBK
10-02-2008, 01:02 AM
Bring me Stafford! **** Bradford!

I'm with you.

Tribal Warfare
10-02-2008, 01:43 AM
His old as crap though. Isn't he in the mid-high 30's?

I'm saying if Kitna's on his game with the WRs he has, they will win some games pretty soon.

SBK
10-02-2008, 02:08 AM
I'm saying if Kitna's on his game with the WRs he has, they will win some games pretty soon.

Yeah, I think they're better than what they've been so far. We'll see about us....

evolve27
10-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Sam Bradford can turn this franchise around and could have won us this game today.

eazyb81
10-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Maybe, but there's no chance Bradford comes out this year, so I don't know why we waste so much time talking about him.

evolve27
10-05-2008, 04:04 PM
Maybe, but there's no chance Bradford comes out this year, so I don't know why we waste so much time talking about him.

NO absolute chance?, fuck my life :banghead:

evolve27
12-29-2008, 12:14 PM
I'm thinking Stafford will be available at 3. At least he was used to running around in the pocket to buy time.

googlegoogle
12-29-2008, 02:54 PM
http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2009_NFL_Draft/sam_bradford_oklahoma.htm

LOL. BUST.

mylittlepony
12-29-2008, 04:31 PM
I have Stafford in the top 3 (could even be #1). But if he would come to KC now, with the way the running game looks he would crash and burn. If you add to this LJ departing. The running game will likely be worse. If Tony G is gone aswell he wont last 3 years in the league. He is not a 35 pass a game guy. If KC drafts him to do that he will be the next David Carr.

beach tribe
12-29-2008, 04:36 PM
I have Stafford in the top 3 (could even be #1). But if he would come to KC now, with the way the running game looks he would crash and burn. If you add to this LJ departing. The running game will likely be worse. If Tony G is gone aswell he wont last 3 years in the league. He is not a 35 pass a game guy. If KC drafts him to do that he will be the next David Carr.

I anticipate an influx of O-line talent this off-season.

Mecca
12-29-2008, 04:45 PM

Under this logic every QB taken #1 by a bad team would have failed, that hasn't happened.

Detoxing
12-29-2008, 04:47 PM

WTF? What do you mean not a 35 passes a game guy? If a QB can't put the team on his shoulders to win, he shouldn't even be drafted in the first day. And it's not like 35 throws is some high number. A good QB makes his receivers better, so you can't rely on that "no TG argument". Receivers will emerge when you have a good QB. It's not like Bowe and Bradly are slouches. The running game worse? What are you smoking?

Our crappy LJ managed over 800 yards, while missing several games, playing in the spread. Jeez. we have no where to go but up. You don't think someone else could do better? Running games seem to sprout out of nowhere nowadays, so in the next 3 years, im sure we'll have a 1k back. It's not like they're rare anymore.

So what you're trying to say is, if the Chiefs draft him to do what a franchise Qb is suppose to do, he'll fail? So then he should fall to the second day right?

KCChiefsMan
12-29-2008, 04:48 PM
well I'm on the Bradford train

mylittlepony
12-29-2008, 04:53 PM
Under this logic every QB taken #1 by a bad team would have failed, that hasn't happened.

Huh? No not at all, different QBs have different skillsets. Stafford is a great Game manager. Sort of like Big Ben, but like ben he needs a running game. He is not the type of guy to give the ball to 35 times like the Brees.

If KC were to field Stafford like he was Drew Brees he would get killed. Thats the logic. Simple really.

mylittlepony
12-29-2008, 05:01 PM
WTF? What do you mean not a 35 passes a game guy? If a QB can't put the team on his shoulders to win, he shouldn't even be drafted in the first day. And it's not like 35 throws is some high number. A good QB makes his receivers better, so you can't rely on that "no TG argument". Receivers will emerge when you have a good QB. It's not like Bowe and Bradly are slouches. The running game worse? What are you smoking?

Our crappy LJ managed over 800 yards, while missing several games, playing in the spread. Jeez. we have no where to go but up. You don't think someone else could do better? Running games seem to sprout out of nowhere nowadays, so in the next 3 years, im sure we'll have a 1k back. It's not like they're rare anymore.

So what you're trying to say is, if the Chiefs draft him to do what a franchise Qb is suppose to do, he'll fail? So then he should fall to the second day right?

A rookie QB without the threat of a run will get killed. Especially a QB with Staffords skillset.

Without TG means if we dont have a run game, who is going to be the check down reciever. If Tony leaves who is Stafford going to throw the ball to before the Wideouts routes have time to develop. Because without the threat of us running the ball whoever KC is facing will send everyone hard on every snap.

Our O switched to spread because we couldnt run the ball. That should say something about our running game.

What I'm saying is if they draft him they need to put him in a good spot because if you put him in this offense the way it looks right now and ask him to play like Drew Brees he is getting killed.

Sorry for being unclear.

Fruit Ninja
12-29-2008, 05:08 PM
When is Michael Bush's contract up with the Raiders? Raiders have a few running backs. I know he's not going to want to be number3 next year. lol

Tribal Warfare
12-29-2008, 05:10 PM
A rookie QB without the threat of a run will get killed. Especially a QB with Staffords skillset.

KC is deep at the RB position the Chiefs need to upgrade the interior OL though

Fruit Ninja
12-29-2008, 05:14 PM
KC is deep at the RB position the Chiefs need to upgrade the interior OL though

LJ wants out of here, I dont think Kolby Smith is anything special. Charles is not a every down back. What deep are we talking here?

mylittlepony
12-29-2008, 05:17 PM
They can probably draw up some Jeff Garcia dink and dunk short passes for Bradford. But if KC is serious about getting Stafford then the running game atleast have be 10-15th in the league. Look at Baltimore and Atlantas young QBs and the help they have gotten from their running game. NFL is a copycat league and Baltimore and Atlanta look as good as any teams to copy in how they handled their franchise QBs.

HC_Chief
12-29-2008, 05:19 PM
LJ wants out of here, I dont think Kolby Smith is anything special. Charles is not a every down back. What deep are we talking here?

At least the guys other than LJ TRY to pass-block.

There should be FA RBs on the market, and there's also the draft. IMO LJ needs to go.

Tribal Warfare
12-29-2008, 05:19 PM

Kolby is pretty solid a guy who can get 1200+ yards a season, Charles is damn maniac in the open field so yeah were set.

Detoxing
12-29-2008, 05:20 PM

Without TG means if we dont have a run game, who is going to be the check down reciever. If Tony leaves who is Stafford going to throw the ball to before the Wideouts routes have time to develop. Because without the threat of us running the ball whoever KC is facing will send everyone hard on every snap.

Our O switched to spread because we couldnt run the ball. That should say something about our running game.

What I'm saying is if they draft him they need to put him in a good spot because if you put him in this offense the way it looks right now and ask him to play like Drew Brees he is getting killed.

Sorry for being unclear.

Well, it's always best if a QB lands on a good team, the same can be said for any player.

We didn't switch to the spread because we couldn't run, we switched because we can't pass protect and it's what Thiggy knew best. Having no running game will obviously hurt stafford, but you're assuming our line will be Worse next year, when that's just not the case.

BUT, with Stafford, that should open up quite a bit of things. Did you watch Cutler last night? A great arm can make up for a lack of seperation, meaning Bowe will have a better year (assuming he catches the ball) and other Recievers will emerge.

Remember, a receiver open for thigpen is not the same as a receiver open for Stafford. I wonder how many passes could've been had if Stafford were there to thread the needle?

Fruit Ninja
12-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Kolby is pretty solid a guy who can get 1200+ yards a season, Charles is damn maniac in the open field so yeah were set.

I dont think so on Kolby. I just didnt see anything really positive from this guy. I think he hesitates more then LJ does. Charles is a 3rd down back no doubt. He's a keeper, but not sold on Kolby. Not to mention he's coming off a serious injury.

nstygma
01-15-2009, 01:16 AM
irishjayhawk where are you?