PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Rookie Carr an important part of Chiefs’ youth movement

Tribal Warfare
10-02-2008, 02:06 AM
Rookie Carr an important part of Chiefs’ youth movement (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/823132.html)
BY KENT BABB THE KANSAS CITY STAR

Through grainy footage from odd angles, Chiefs coach Herm Edwards kept seeing things he liked out of the big cornerback from Grand Valley State.

It’s a Division II school, the kind NFL scouts aren’t normally sent to, but this cornerback kept showing up, kept grabbing Edwards’ attention and wouldn’t let it go.

“I liked what I saw,” Edwards said Wednesday.

When the draft rolled around this last April, Edwards took the elevator down to the first level at Arrowhead Stadium. He walked into the auditorium, where on that day, the Chiefs’ draft team had assembled. Team president Carl Peterson was there. So was player personnel director Bill Kuharich. So were about a dozen others.

It was Edwards’ birthday. The men wished Edwards a happy 54th, and then someone motioned toward the Chiefs’ draft board and said: “Coach, who do you want for your birthday?”

Edwards looked at the board and pointed to Brandon Carr, that big cornerback from the small school, the one that kept coming in clear through grainy tape.

“That guy right there,” Edwards recalled saying. “Pick that guy right there. That’s the guy we want.”

It’s been more than five months since the Chiefs drafted Carr with the fifth pick in the fifth round. Carr is more than a rookie. He represents the pending outcome of the Chiefs’ great gamble: the rebuilding project that team officials hope will lead them deep into the 2010 playoffs.

Edwards said late in training camp that certain players would determine whether the Chiefs’ first draft of the youth movement was a success. One of them was Carr. And Edwards said on an August afternoon that if Carr, a gamble himself, worked his way into the starting lineup, it was proof the Chiefs were making the right decisions. It would mean the Chiefs were benefiting from good scouting and better luck, two things essential to the success of such an undertaking.

Carr started Sunday in a 33-19 win against Denver. He replaced veteran Patrick Surtain, who was out with a shoulder injury. Carr had two tackles and a fumble recovery. Surtain is better now, but Edwards might start Carr anyway.

If Carr starts in place of Surtain, does that mean the rookie has arrived? Perhaps. Edwards said the rookie is better than he’s shown. But more important: Have the Chiefs legitimized their new philosophy, as Edwards suggested that breezy August afternoon?

“Yes,” Edwards said Wednesday. “It’s working.”

Edwards said the reason Carr’s development is so important to the Chiefs’ growth is because Carr was a low-round pick that, as of now, is becoming what the team hoped he would. It means the Chiefs are scouting the right prospects, finding elite athletes in unlikely places — places such as Grand Valley State — and molding them into viable players.

Early-round players such as Glenn Dorsey and Branden Albert and Brandon Flowers? Edwards said those were easy because the Chiefs knew they were drafting talented players with such high picks. But it’s the late rounds when teams bet on players to become jewels — but accept that some are more likely to be wastes.

Carr said he doesn’t know why Edwards liked him. He doesn’t know why the Chiefs used a draft pick and a coach’s birthday wish on a cornerback from Grand Valley State. Carr doesn’t know why one meeting with Edwards convinced the coach that Carr was an essential pick, one of 12 players that key members of the organization are risking their reputations and jobs on.

“I don’t know what he saw,” Carr said of Edwards, “but he saw something.”

The meeting took place a few weeks before the draft. Edwards said he saw enough from Carr’s college film to bring him to Arrowhead. Then Edwards listened while Carr decoded his own film, and Edwards asked Carr about situations and scenarios, asking the youngster what he’d do.

“I could tell on his face that he liked the answers,” Carr said.

Edwards wouldn’t say Wednesday what Carr had said or done to impress the coach, himself a former NFL cornerback. But Carr said he left the meeting feeling confident the Chiefs would draft him. Edwards left knowing that if Carr were available in the fifth round, Carr would be on his way to Kansas City. When it happened, all both sides could do was wait — and hope it works out.

Like the rest of the Chiefs’ rebuilding project, it is too early in Carr’s development to grade him a long-term success. Edwards said he has liked what he’s seen from the rookie from the small college in Michigan, and that’s enough of a signal to the coach that the Chiefs’ investment, in Carr and the youth movement at large, is paying off.

Carr said his significance in the project doesn’t bother him. In fact, he said he likes it.

“I’d rather hear that than not hear anything at all,” he said.

But he knows there’s pressure attached. Carr’s career could affect more than himself. It could dictate the viability of the team’s direction, and whether the men who decide to take players such as Carr are the proper men in those jobs.

Carr thought about it Wednesday and smiled. He was sprawled in an armchair at the Chiefs practice facility. He said he’s going to do what he can to prove Edwards right.

“I see that the coaches and the staff, the organization has tremendous trust and faith in me,” he said. “I put it upon myself to actually go out there and execute.

“I feel like I’m ready. I have to make myself grow up and get rid of all that D-2 talk. Everybody talks about that: How do you make yourself adapt? I’m here now. I’ve been in the NFL since May. I’m official. But I’m going to be trying to prove myself until the day I stop playing football.”

And for the Chiefs’ sake, there are at least a dozen men at Arrowhead who hope he proves himself — and proves all of them right.

SBK
10-02-2008, 02:20 AM
I never noticed how big he was until that interception and he was running alongside everyone. He's a big guy.

I hope he works out too, so far he looks like a keeper to me!

KCCHIEFS27
10-02-2008, 02:20 AM
He is definitely an unexpected star in the making. The great thing is not only is he able to get playing time right now, but he came into the league with the necessary skills to play his position. Jeez the secondary and d-line is young, exciting.

Count Alex's Wins
10-02-2008, 02:21 AM
I never noticed how big he was until that interception and he was running alongside everyone. He's a big guy.

I hope he works out too, so far he looks like a keeper to me!

It's weird, because I STILL don't think he looks 6 feet tall. Maybe it's the pads he wears, but he looks smaller than 6 feet.

RustShack
10-02-2008, 02:37 AM
He is definitely an unexpected star in the making. The great thing is not only is he able to get playing time right now, but he came into the league with the necessary skills to play his position. Jeez the secondary and d-line is young, exciting.

You think thats exciting? Wait until we draft Rey Muauluga!

Mecca
10-02-2008, 02:44 AM
The defensive end of the draft was good, no question really, the team is really only 2 players from being able to be called a top level unit.

Mecca
10-02-2008, 02:45 AM
You think thats exciting? Wait until we draft Rey Muauluga!

I'd rather not do that, I think that's way to high of a pick to use on a MLB.

jjchieffan
10-02-2008, 04:19 AM

Where do you think he should be drafted?

Count Alex's Wins
10-02-2008, 04:26 AM
The defensive end of the draft was good, no question really, the team is really only 2 players from being able to be called a top level unit.

Wow. High praise from Mecca.

I assume you're talking about RE and MLB?

So you're fine with Page and Pollard and Hali starting?

Mecca
10-02-2008, 04:37 AM
Wow. High praise from Mecca.

I assume you're talking about RE and MLB?

So you're fine with Page and Pollard and Hali starting?

I think you can get by on a side with a McBride/Hali rotation depending on team and situation.

Yea basically rush end and MLB and they can become a high end unit, if you put a strong side backer and a safety with it then it gets to elite level unit.

I think Demorrio Williams is a good player so they I wouldn't jump out to use a high pick on a LB but if you find one that's good. I would still like to see Morgan get a shot at FS, between Page and Morgan FS should be held down by one or the other and yes I'd like to have a SS but Pollard would be good enough behind a good front 7.

Mecca
10-02-2008, 04:38 AM
Where do you think he should be drafted?

I think he's going to go in the top 10, but in the Chiefs situation I wouldn't do that. They can get a good MLB at the top of the 2nd round.

BigRock
10-02-2008, 05:05 AM
It's unreal to think that when they picked Carr in the draft, ESPN didn't even know who he was. They didn't have a thing prepared for him or anything like that. The only person who knew about Carr was Jaws, and that was only because he'd talked to Herm and knew that Herm wanted to draft him.

And four games in as a rookie, the guy's starting and playing well.

Tribal Warfare
10-02-2008, 05:06 AM

If we go DE my fav player is Selvie, because he has an Jared Allen type of quickness and motor.

PhillyChiefFan
10-02-2008, 06:59 AM
What about Johnson from GT?

I don't know much about him, cause the draft is 6 months away. Is he a pass rusher?

DaKCMan AP
10-02-2008, 07:08 AM

I don't know much about him, cause the draft is 6 months away. Is he a pass rusher?

Yes.

Sfeihc
10-02-2008, 07:08 AM
He's a FREAK!

KCJohnny
10-02-2008, 07:11 AM
People forget that Jerry Rice was from that almighty football powerhouse Mississippi Valley State.

DaKCMan AP
10-02-2008, 07:12 AM
People forget that Jerry Rice was from that almighty football powerhouse Mississippi Valley State.

No they don't.

Kerberos
10-02-2008, 08:35 AM

Who are you and what have you done with Mecca?

There is WAAAAAY to much praise in this post for you to NOT be an imposter.

:D

Mecca
10-02-2008, 08:39 AM
Who are you and what have you done with Mecca?

There is WAAAAAY to much praise in this post for you to NOT be an imposter.

:D

I give praise when it's due...they're alot closer on defense than offense, what worries me most is we'll end up in the spot to go DE and MLB not getting a QB and then we'll win 5 or 6 games and not be in position to draft one.

Detoxing
10-02-2008, 10:24 AM

Whoa! Was that something positive? Hold on, that caught me off gaurd. I never thought i would ever read that from you.

SNR
10-02-2008, 10:37 AM
I think he's going to go in the top 10, but in the Chiefs situation I wouldn't do that. They can get a good MLB at the top of the 2nd round.I would agree.

It's gonna have to be QB. If we're not drafting in the top 5 and the best QBs are taken, we should trade down to grab the guy or take a DE.

boogblaster
10-02-2008, 10:44 AM
I'm happy with all our draft-picks .. they are proving their worth .. Carr is a big improvement over Surtain .. And yes QB needed ...

sfchief
10-02-2008, 10:46 AM
Mecca is right, we want to improve, but no franchise QB in the 09 draft and a better team all-around puts you out of position to draft an elite QB.
Look at Pitt. and Denver when they were high in the draft, they got a QB when they had the chance.

Mecca
10-02-2008, 10:48 AM
Mecca is right, we want to improve, but no franchise QB in the 09 draft and a better team all-around puts you out of position to draft an elite QB.
Look at Pitt. and Denver when they were high in the draft, they got a QB when they had the chance.

Those 2 teams got very lucky, Pitt just because Roethlisberger was in a stacked class so he fell to them, Cutler because teams in front of them were retards and picked guys like Vince Young.

sfchief
10-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Those 2 teams got very lucky, Pitt just because Roethlisberger was in a stacked class so he fell to them, Cutler because teams in front of them were retards and picked guys like Vince Young.
Yes, but they were smart enough to pull the trigger on QB's they thought you could build around. How many 2nd and 3rd round QB's start in this league.

ChiefGator
10-02-2008, 11:29 AM
We need two quarterbacks... quarterback for the offense and the quarterback for the defense. Watching the Ravens-Steelers game has reminded me the type of impact an elite MLB can have on an opposing offense. I'm not convinced we will have the overall #1 draft pick, there's alot of competition out there. I will be happy with either a good qb, or a great MLB in the first.

Pablo
10-02-2008, 12:48 PM
Carr has definitely looked good so far. Flowers as well. Surtain shouldn't see the field as a starter again this year. I'd like to work Morgan in a bit more. The times I saw him in preseason he looked pretty lost, but he needs real gametime experience to fix that. He's got the physical talent to probably start for this squad.

I'd love to go Stafford in the first, and a LB in the 2nd(maybe Spikes). I don't think the DE's that are going to be around in the 2nd are worth looking at. Might as well take another late round flier like Johnston.

ChiefsCountry
10-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Anybody think that Carr and Flowers sort of remind you of Thomas and Marsalias?

Tribal Warfare
10-02-2008, 05:32 PM

boom or bust pick, this is his 1st year starting at DE for Georgia Tech too

Reaper16
10-02-2008, 05:38 PM
I liked the Carr pick from day 1 because I had seen the man play in college three times. It's not as if ESPN couldn't have had a video package prepared for him, as Grand Valley State has played many games on the ESPN family of networks this decade.

In other words, Kent Babb, Grand Valley State is not an "unlikely place" to find athletes. Babb claims that GVSU is the "kind of school that NFL scouts aren't normally sent to," which is just erroneous. GVSU probably has NFL scouts at close to every home game. They're as powerful a Division II program as you can be. Northwest Missouri State is the same way -- NFL scouts come to their home games all of the time.

Basileus777
10-02-2008, 05:52 PM
boom or bust pick, this is his 1st year starting at DE for Georgia Tech too

I agree. I think Johnson has a large bust factor, but no doubt some people on this board will jump on his nuts. For some reason there is a segment of people here who loved project pass rushers, see all the love Manny Lawson and Vernon Gholston received. Good thing we passed over them, both Lawson and Gholston have disappointed so far.

Reaper16
10-02-2008, 05:55 PM
I agree. I think Johnson has a large bust factor, but no doubt some people on this board will jump on his nuts. For some reason there is a segment of people here who loved project pass rushers, see all the love Manny Lawson and Vernon Gholston received. Good thing we passed over them, both Lawson and Gholston have disappointed so far.
Ghoulston's played, what, four games as a pro? Mario Willaims "disappointed" his first season, but now looks like a better choice than Bush or Young or Lienert would have been.

Basileus777
10-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Ghoulston's played, what, four games as a pro? Mario Willaims "disappointed" his first season, but now looks like a better choice than Bush or Young or Lienert would have been.

I said so far. Gholston can't even get on the field for the Jets, that's not a good sign. But I didn't say he was a bust.

And Mario Williams wasn't really a disappointment as a rookie, he just got attacked because of all the Reggie Bush hype.

Tribal Warfare
10-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Mario Willaims "disappointed" his first season,

Omobi Okoye, is the the true reason Williams had a good season last year. Now that cat does play like Warren Sapp.

JASONSAUTO
10-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Omobi Okoye, is the the true reason Williams had a good season last year. Now that cat does play like Warren Sapp.

he's real young, right? like went to college when he was 16

Tribal Warfare
10-02-2008, 06:23 PM
he's real young, right? like went to college when he was 16

correct he just turned 21

JASONSAUTO
10-02-2008, 06:26 PM
yeah hes a beast who will continue to grow damn thats scary. i REALLY WANTED us to draft him out of louisville

Tribal Warfare
10-02-2008, 06:28 PM
yeah hes a beast who will continue to grow damn thats scary. i REALLY WANTED us to draft him out of louisville

Me too, but to some "I wanted to get his autograph" :rolleyes:

Reaper16
10-02-2008, 06:31 PM
He's still an ascending player, too. I'd love to have him.

JASONSAUTO
10-02-2008, 06:33 PM
i've got a question(and i'm REALLY not trying to piss you off here) but what did your dad think about alberts injury?? about the autograph thing people on here dont appreciate you enough. you post all this stuff that any chiefs fan should appreciate but some of these people talk all kinds of shit to you about your draft opinions yet the same guys cant see daylight from mecca's ball covering their eyes

Tribal Warfare
10-02-2008, 06:45 PM
i've got a question(and i'm REALLY not trying to piss you off here) but what did your dad think about alberts injury?? about the autograph thing people on here dont appreciate you enough. you post all this stuff that any chiefs fan should appreciate but some of these people talk all kinds of shit to you about your draft opinions yet the same guys cant see daylight from mecca's ball covering their eyes

Dad hasn't seen the footage of Albert's injury, unless someone put it on Youtube (gochiefs) then I can give a direct answer to that. The autograph thing/ and just my opinions on certain issues and what other individuals think of me is their own prerogative. If they want to rip on me that's their choice, and it's part of ChiefsPlanet's climate of interaction.At times though well respected posters for some reason or another just go out of their way to act like dicks towards me for slight disagreements that take it personally. I just brush it aside, and have a goodtime here because that's what this BB is for Chiefs, Sports, and having a good time

milkman
10-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Dad hasn't seen the footage of Albert's injury, unless someone put it on Youtube (gochiefs) then I can give a direct answer to that. The autograph thing/ and just my opinions on certain issues and what other individuals think of me is their own prerogative. If they want to rip on me that's their choice, and it's part of ChiefsPlanet's climate of interaction.At times though well respected posters for some reason or another just go out of their way to act like dicks towards me for slight disagreements that take it personally. I just brush it aside, and have a goodtime here because that's what this BB is for Chiefs, Sports, and having a good time

The problem, TW, is that, while you do have many good opinions, you just become far too obsessive with some of them.