PDA

View Full Version : Science Animals and Religion

Rain Man
10-02-2008, 11:37 AM
So I see the story about finding the wreckage of Steve Fossett's airplane, and it appears that they've found the wreck, but not the body.

If we assume that ol' Steve didn't survive the crash, which is apparently likely given the debris pattern, this likely means that some animal dragged him off and ate him.

It makes me wonder how this might affect animal religion. If you're a bear, and you're wandering around in the woods and all of a sudden a 200 pound chunk of food falls from the sky, does it make you believe in a bear god? And if aliens looked like cows and visited in human prehistory, how would that have affected the development of human religious beliefs, particularly in India?

I just thought I'd offer up a topic for intellectual discussion on a slow-moving Thursday.

Redrum_69
10-02-2008, 11:39 AM
i cant even type what I was going to post, because i'll end up in hell wearing underwear made of gasoline

SPATCH
10-02-2008, 11:39 AM
this stimulates me.... intellectually

blueballs
10-02-2008, 11:40 AM
no chance of a false Fossett

chasedude
10-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Aliens abducted him

Redrum_69
10-02-2008, 11:45 AM
his relatives should be relieved that pieces of him were used in the fundamental chain of life called digestion

Demonpenz
10-02-2008, 11:45 AM
If you are a goldfish your food always falls from the sky

chasedude
10-02-2008, 11:47 AM
If you are a goldfish your food always falls from the sky

with a 30 second memory I wonder if they ever remember how to eat

Rain Man
10-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Y'know, there's a good chance that the food was even cooked. This has to cause a bear or coyote to think deeply about how such a thing would occur. What would you think if you were out in the woods and all of a sudden a thick, juicy T-bone, cooked medium rare, dropped onto the path in front of you?

Redrum_69
10-02-2008, 11:51 AM
i guess, in this case, the old saying "does a bear shit in the woods" may spark a religious debate on bear morality vs bear rights on the feeding chain.

as stated in the bear constitution...every bear has the right to bear arms, when therefore as not to such a degree that causes surrounding communities of bears grief and turmoil, unless of course such bear is in need of storing food for the winter for his pre-hibernating last meal, where as anything that is dead or living shall be made into a meal no ifs, ands, and no butts.

Donger
10-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Y'know, there's a good chance that the food was even cooked. This has to cause a bear or coyote to think deeply about how such a thing would occur. What would you think if you were out in the woods and all of a sudden a thick, juicy T-bone, cooked medium rare, dropped onto the path in front of you?

I would think it was November 5 and Barack Hussein had won. Free steak for EVERYONE!

Frazod
10-02-2008, 12:12 PM
I wonder if whatever ate him suddenly developed an overwhelming urge to fly around the world and make sure everybody knows about it?

A flying, attention-whore bear would be kind of cool, IMO.

Hog Farmer
10-02-2008, 12:17 PM
On a side note , if you have sex with your livestock does that mean you're gay ?

Donger
10-02-2008, 12:17 PM
On a side note , if you have sex with your livestock does that mean you're gay ?

Not if it's only with the females.

Hog Farmer
10-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Not if it's only with the females.

:cuss:

Redrum_69
10-02-2008, 12:19 PM

you should check out luvs thread called "would you"

Goapics1
10-02-2008, 12:20 PM
you should check out luvs thread called "would you"

ROFL

Iowanian
10-02-2008, 12:23 PM
I've seen deer look at me like they knew they were about to meet bambi-Jesus right as I release an arrow at 300 fps towards their vitals.

I kind of figured the hiker who turned in the documents and $1k cash dug it out of griz-poo.

I wonder more if he'll get to keep the money? Finders Keepers, losers weepers rule and all.

gblowfish
10-02-2008, 01:41 PM
I suggest Fossett will be expelled from Heaven.
But first,
Expelled from the Bear's digestive tract.

ziggysocki
10-02-2008, 01:55 PM
maybe since he has done almost everything that there is to do, he faked his own death to start over from scratch. You know, just to see if he just got lucky the first time...or maybe the bears captured him, made him their god like C-3P0 in Return of the Jedi

Redrum_69
10-02-2008, 02:01 PM
maybe since he has done almost everything that there is to do, he faked his own death to start over from scratch. You know, just to see if he just got lucky the first time...or maybe the bears captured him, made him their god like C-3P0 in Return of the Jedi

et tu claythan?

ziggysocki
10-02-2008, 02:13 PM
et tu claythan?

no not claythan here... but from what I can tell from lurking the last few weeks thats not exactly a compliment

tooge
10-02-2008, 02:38 PM
bears love Fossett. He's delicious

angelo
10-02-2008, 03:01 PM

You do bring up a point that I have made several times. That at best the bear would think that there was a higher power to explain the phenomenon of food falling from the sky. It would be baffled if it truly could think. I am sure it might be a little scared also. So to set it's mind at ease it would explain it away as the bear god's will. The bear may even start attributing all kinds of natural processes to the higher being. The bear may not have to take responsibility for its own actions claiming it was the Bear God's will. The bear then could start making up all kinds of archaic rules for all the other bears to follow. He could proclaim that he and he alone was the true disciple of the bear god for it had bestowed upon him food from the sky. The bear might proclaim that only those that followed the bear god and the rules that the bear made up would have everlasting life, because all bears are afraid of death and the unknown. He could wage war with the wolves and the coyotes because they believe in a different gods and they would have to submit or die. The other bears would be forced to build temples and bring tributes to honor the bear god. He could go on to rule all of the bears from one fluke accident.

What am I saying, that would never really happen. I do not know what I was thinking about.

Ang

seclark
10-02-2008, 03:09 PM
smarter than the average bear.

ziggysocki
10-02-2008, 03:20 PM
You do bring up a point that I have made several times. That at best the bear would think that there was a higher power to explain the phenomenon of food falling from the sky. It would be baffled if it truly could think. I am sure it might be a little scared also. So to set it's mind at ease it would explain it away as the bear god's will. The bear may even start attributing all kinds of natural processes to the higher being. The bear may not have to take responsibility for its own actions claiming it was the Bear God's will. The bear then could start making up all kinds of archaic rules for all the other bears to follow. He could proclaim that he and he alone was the true disciple of the bear god for it had bestowed upon him food from the sky. The bear might proclaim that only those that followed the bear god and the rules that the bear made up would have everlasting life, because all bears are afraid of death and the unknown. He could wage war with the wolves and the coyotes because they believe in a different gods and they would have to submit or die. The other bears would be forced to build temples and bring tributes to honor the bear god. He could go on to rule all of the bears from one fluke accident.

What am I saying, that would never really happen. I do not know what I was thinking about.

Ang

but if he did that, the other bears might get p|ssed and nail him to a tree cause they used to be in charge before he got the food from the sky

RJ
10-02-2008, 04:15 PM
About 10 years ago, when my dogs were puppies, they were lying on the kitchen floor while I was making meatballs. While spooning the meatballs from the pot to a bowl, one meatball fell to the floor landing right in front of one dog's nose. He inhaled the meatball and then sat up looking at the ceiling, hoping for more.

For years, any time that dog was in the kitchen and I was cooking, he would just stare upward, waiting for the miracle to happen again. Meatballs from heaven.

I would suppose that the bear or cougar who devoured Fossett is likely having similar religious experiences whenever it sees a low flying plane. Animals don't understand odds. For them, if something happened once there's no reason it shouldn't happen again and again.

CrazyPhuD
10-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Dude have you never seen Millennium?

People from the future knew he was going to crash, therefore they went back in time and kidnapped him to rejuvenate the human race in the future!

Frazod
10-02-2008, 06:06 PM
BTW, I heard on the radio on the way home that they have identified human remains in the wreckage.

I guess the bears missed a bit.

kstater
10-02-2008, 06:08 PM

ROFL

Rain Man
10-02-2008, 06:14 PM
BTW, I heard on the radio on the way home that they have identified human remains in the wreckage.

I guess the bears missed a bit.

Maybe their bear god forbids them from eating feet or something. Religions are full of prohibitions like that.

Either that, or Steve Fossett killed a hiker to supply himself for his hike out.