PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Chiefs’ other wide receivers crave more attention

Tribal Warfare
10-02-2008, 11:06 PM
Chiefs’ other wide receivers crave more attention (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/824899.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Devard Darling has begun following the Chiefs’ quarterback off the field, whomever that happens to be on a given week, and dropping hints.

Sometimes, they’re more than hints.

“ ‘Hey,’ ” Darling recalled saying, “ ‘I’m open. Trust me on this.’ Then again, every receiver thinks they’re open on every play.”

Darling is one of three Chiefs wide receivers who want to see more variety in the team’s passing game. Through four games, that branch of Kansas City’s offense has been predictable. Second-year receiver Dwayne Bowe has 22 catches this season. Tight end Tony Gonzalez has 18.

Darling, signed during the offseason out of Baltimore, is tied with Jeff Webb for the next-most catches among the Chiefs’ other wide receivers — with three receptions. Kansas City’s second-tier receivers — Darling, Webb and rookie Will Franklin — are trying to tell anyone who will listen that they’re out there, too, and a combined seven catches among them means more than drops and failure to get open. It means they’re being ignored.

“I’m itching,” Franklin said of his desire to get involved in the Chiefs’ offense. “Itching. I’ve learned to have patience with things and let them come to me. I’m itching for it, but I’ll let it come when the time comes.”

Darling isn’t quite as patient. He said he’s begun watching film with quarterbacks and making suggestions on when to look for him. Darling said “of course” he’s frustrated that three running backs and a fullback have more catches than every wide receiver but Bowe.

“You can’t just have one or two threats,” said Darling, who has yet to have more than one catch in a game. “Everybody needs the ball to get their fair share.

“I know my role in this offense. Tony Gonzalez is a future Hall of Famer. He’s going to get the ball. Bowe is a first-rounder. He’s going to get the ball. I just come to work every day and try to work hard and hope it does come.”

Then again, he said that’s part of playing in the Chiefs’ offense. Coach Herm Edwards makes it no secret that he’d run the ball on every down if he could. It’s a low-risk move, and with the Chiefs’ early-season confusion at quarterback — Damon Huard, Tyler Thigpen and Brodie Croyle have started games this season — passing can be a dangerous prospect. When the Chiefs do throw, more than half the time it has gone to their most reliable options, Bowe and Gonzalez.

Edwards acknowledged this week that for the sake of balance, and the prevention of defenses targeting Bowe and Gonzalez, the Chiefs have to spread their passes around. They have to get someone else involved or risk simplifying their offense, something the Chiefs can hardly afford to do.

“It takes the stress off everybody else,” Edwards said.

But for now, the stress is building on the men who aren’t getting the quarterback’s attention. Edwards said this week that whomever the ball goes to, the Chiefs need big plays. With the offense having problems, such as averaging about 10 points in the first three games, Kansas City needs someone to contribute “chunks” of yards, Edwards said.

“We just need some explosive plays in the passing game,” he said. “That’s what moves the ball.”

Franklin said that being a rookie, there’s not much he can do besides wait his turn. The Chiefs like Franklin, and they’d like him to eventually be their No. 2 receiver.

Webb said he’s trying to ignore how seldom he gets a chance and said that keeping quiet about it is part of being a good teammate. Then again, he’s been there before, too. He was in Kansas City last year, when the Chiefs had a similar philosophy: Webb had the second-most catches among wide receivers in 2007, only he had a little more than a third as many receptions as Bowe.

“Hopefully it will change,” Webb said.

Darling isn’t waiting for change. He’s dropping hints, such as reminding Edwards he is responsible for the Chiefs’ biggest chunk of yards this season, a 68-yard catch and run against the Patriots. No, Darling hasn’t forgotten, and he doesn’t want everyone else in the Chiefs’ locker room to forget, either.

“You just go out there and work and work and work. Hopefully just by working and they’ll see that,” he said. “If not, just try to be patient. That’s all you can do.”

Count Zarth
10-02-2008, 11:11 PM
Just give Darling the damn ball.

TrickyNicky
10-02-2008, 11:13 PM
Croyle forgets his moneymakers are out there, but Huard keys in on them. Got to find a balance.

T-post Tom
10-02-2008, 11:15 PM
coming to a bookstore near you...

JuicesFlowing
10-03-2008, 01:02 AM
With Herm's offensive philosophy the way it is, I don't see our other receivers getting much attention the rest of the year. If the running game is good enough to chew clock, the pass plays will be few and far between. That's when Bowe and Gonzo enter as the easiest targets. Just not a good time to be a receiver on the Chiefs, unless your name is Bowe.

redsurfer11
10-03-2008, 05:00 AM
Shut up and block.

HypnotizedMonkey
10-03-2008, 06:59 AM
Every receiver is always open according to themselves.

cookster50
10-03-2008, 07:39 AM
Coach Herm Edwards makes it no secret that he’d run the ball on every down if he could. It’s a low-risk move...

More proof that Herm is the worst NFL head coach in the history of time. Matt Millen would make a better head coach.

Hog Farmer
10-03-2008, 07:54 AM
A lot of it has to do with the O line, a Qb, especially Hutard has to have time to make decisions before having to assume the fetal position.

Demonpenz
10-03-2008, 07:57 AM
Honestly. If you are painfully below average, get it to your play makers. Who cares what Devon Falling says.

HemiEd
10-03-2008, 08:15 AM
Just give Darling the boot.

FYP

Molitoth
10-03-2008, 09:26 AM
I've actually seen Devard open many times. Huard really doesn't look his way.

Redrum_69
10-03-2008, 09:28 AM
Huard is racist

thats why TG didnt get his record

Rooster
10-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Shut up and block.

ROFL Yep. Pretty much.

TrickyNicky
10-03-2008, 09:43 AM
I've actually seen Devard open many times. Huard really doesn't look his way.

Huard's progression is thus:

3 Step drop
Check the line to see if any defenders are running through
If yes --> Armadillo Man or Checkdown to RB
If no --> Throw it to Bowe or Gonzo, whoever is closer, no matter the coverage

Frankie
10-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Chiefs’ other wide receivers crave more attention

Maybe if they would consider...... GETTING OPEN EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE!!!?

I'm talking to you Darling. You know who you are.

Molitoth
10-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Maybe if they would consider...... GETTING OPEN EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE!!!?

I'm talking to you Darling. You know who you are.

Go watch tape.