PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Teen bags the buck of his dreams

bkkcoh
10-03-2008, 01:39 PM
I don't know this kid, but he is from the same town I grew up in.

Congrats to him. :toast:

http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2008/09/25/20/385-colby_092408_09-26-2008_2T15BPPR.embedded.prod_affiliate.81.jpg

Pretty Cool (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/outdoors/story/813954.html)

Teen bags the buck of his dreams
By BRENT FRAZEE
The Kansas City Star
Colby Lightfoot always dreamed of shooting one of the trophy bucks that roam the plains of Kansas.

But he often wondered if that dream would ever come true. Afflicted with muscular dystrophy, Lightfoot, 17, uses a wheelchair and can hardly lift his arms.

He knew it would take a special set of circumstances for his goal ever to be met. And that’s exactly what happened.

During a week that he said he will never forget, he was treated to a dream hunt — one that culminated with him shooting a trophy mule deer buck.

“I was really excited about this hunt,” said Lightfoot, who lives in Waverly, Mo. “I had taken four does on our land, but I had never taken a buck. And it was getting harder for me to get out.

“With muscular dystrophy, I never know how I’ll be a year from now. So I knew I had to make the most of this.”

Lightfoot’s journey started when he applied for a spot in a special hunt with the Buckmasters American Deer Foundation. Officials there arranged for him to be part of T.J.’s Memorial Youth Deer Hunt near Cedar Bluff Reservoir in western Kansas.

That hunt had special meaning. It was named for T.J. Hellerud, a 16-year-old who was killed in a car accident five years ago.

T.J. was an avid deer hunter, and the outdoors played a big part in his life. His mother, Cynthia Maier, and stepfather Steve Maier, had received monetary donations when T.J. died and were looking for a fitting memorial for their late son.

The hunt was the perfect way. The Hunting Heritage Group — a nonprofit organization made up of conservation officers and wildlife biologists who are dedicated to introducing youth to the outdoors — played host to a youth deer hunt for the first time in 2007. That group joined with the Maiers, who run Cedar Bluff Lodge, in establishing the memorial hunt.

Coordinated by conservation officer Jason Hawman of the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks, the event treated 10 youths to a dream outing.

That’s where Lightfoot entered the picture. He traveled to western Kansas with his family in a specially equipped van a week ago, eager to take part in the special hunt.

He joined the other youth hunters in classroom instruction, learning everything from deer habitat and management to hunting strategies and safe gun handling. He then was helped in sighting in his rifle.

After that, Lightfoot was transported to private land, where he had a special permit to hunt out of a vehicle. His guides slid the van doors open, and Lightfoot relied on a special mount on his wheelchair to keep his rifle steady.

But Lightfoot quickly learned about one other aspect of deer hunting — the need for patience. The hunt was supposed to be a weekend event Sept. 13-14. But when the young hunter failed to see a buck in the first two days, he talked his mother into staying.

He hunted for six days before his patience finally paid off.

Assisted by volunteer guides Steve Maier and Jeff Woodworth, Lightfoot watched on Sept. 18 as a large buck walked into a milo field in front of him. He squeezed the trigger and hit his target. Then the celebrating began.

“I was shaking, I was so excited,” Lightfoot said. “I was speechless.”

By the time he returned to the lodge with that 10-point buck, Lightfoot was posing for pictures, accepting congratulations and being asked to recount his experience.

“When he came in with that deer, there were a lot of tears flowing,” said Lightfoot’s mom, Sherry Thorp. “Emotions were running high.

“The people out there were just great. They just did everything possible to see that Colby would get a deer.

“When he did, everyone was touched. They knew how much it meant to him. This is something we’ll never forget.”

Demonpenz
10-03-2008, 01:40 PM
this makes me feel better about shooting from my truck

Reaper16
10-03-2008, 01:41 PM
this makes me feel better about shooting from my atv

Redrum_69
10-03-2008, 01:43 PM

this makes me feel better about shooting from the handicapped parking space

bkkcoh
10-03-2008, 01:43 PM

That is very wrong. :(

Mr. Laz
10-03-2008, 01:44 PM
congratz!!!

i'm sure you'll grow up to be a fine killer.

Demonpenz
10-03-2008, 01:45 PM

this makes me feel better hunting handicapped people

Redrum_69
10-03-2008, 01:47 PM

this makes me feel better about riding a wheelchair around walmart

Redrum_69
10-03-2008, 01:48 PM

this makes me feel better about having sex with a one legged stripper

CoMoChief
10-03-2008, 01:49 PM
My buddies dad (Smittysbar knows him) at one point shot the 2nd biggest Buck ever caught in MO.

Forgot the actual numbers, but the damn land monster is mounted on a wall down in his basement. Fugger is HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE

Demonpenz
10-03-2008, 01:49 PM

That makes me feel better about stealing the wheels off of wheelchairs at walmart

CoMoChief
10-03-2008, 01:50 PM

This makes me feel better about usuing the handicapped stalls in the bathroom, more room to stretch out in and usually they are the cleanest because no one ever fuckin uses them.

Demonpenz
10-03-2008, 01:52 PM
This makes me feel better about usuing the handicapped stalls in the bathroom, more room to stretch out in and usually they are the cleanest because no one ever f***in uses them.

That makes me feel better about peeing on the seats in the handicapped bathroom

Redrum_69
10-03-2008, 01:52 PM
This makes me feel better about usuing the handicapped stalls in the bathroom, more room to stretch out in and usually they are the cleanest because no one ever f***in uses them.

this makes me feel better about placing my handicapped tag on the mirror and getting to park in the front, as everyone else has to park 20 rows behind me.

Demonpenz
10-03-2008, 01:54 PM
this makes me feel better about placing my handicapped tag on the mirror and getting to park in the front, as everyone else has to park 20 rows behind me.

That makes me feel better faking having a handicapped friend only so I don't have to walk as far

Redrum_69
10-03-2008, 01:54 PM
That makes me feel better about peeing on the seats in the handicapped bathroom

this makes me feel better about clogging the toilet with the automatic flushing unit in the handicappeed bathroom so when the next person that uses it has to deal with the blockage and the mini flooding

Demonpenz
10-03-2008, 01:55 PM
this makes me feel better about clogging the toilet with the automatic flushing unit in the handicappeed bathroom so when the next person that uses it has to deal with the blockage and the mini flooding

That makes me feel better about hiring a handicapped janitor

Redrum_69
10-03-2008, 01:58 PM
That makes me feel better faking having a handicapped friend only so I don't have to walk as far

this makes me feel better in claiming to be handicapped so i can get a king sized bed in eureka springs, even though its the last room and only reserved for handicapped people....only to be unloading the trunk full of bags and being caught and given the headshake and evil eye by the manager who checked me in with my noticeable limp/leg drag.

Demonpenz
10-03-2008, 02:00 PM
this makes me feel better in claiming to be handicapped so i can get a king sized bed in eureka springs, even though its the last room and only reserved for handicapped people....only to be unloading the trunk full of bags and being caught and given the headshake and evil eye by the manager who checked me in with my noticeable limp/leg drag.

that makes me sad

MOhillbilly
10-03-2008, 02:04 PM

me too. oh wait.

Mr. Plow
10-03-2008, 02:04 PM
What did that deer ever do to anyone?

Demonpenz
10-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Damn Mohibilly. I am not too good with guns. Are those some shotgun blasts mixed in with 44's?

MOhillbilly
10-03-2008, 02:10 PM
Damn Mohibilly. I am not too good with guns. Are those some shotgun blasts mixed in with 44's?

the big ones are 12 gauge point blank. the rest range from .22 to 50 cal. the other side has almost zero sheetmetal.

seclark
10-03-2008, 02:12 PM
me too. oh wait.

hey mo...is that a deer hiding in the cab of that truck?
sec

Redrum_69
10-03-2008, 02:13 PM
that makes me sad

my wife didnt know and still doesnt

thats when I was young, like 6 years ago.

CoMoChief
10-03-2008, 02:14 PM
What did that deer ever do to anyone?

DEY TUK R JOOOOOOOORRRBS!!!!!!!

Mr. Plow
10-03-2008, 02:16 PM
DEY TUK R JOOOOOOOORRRBS!!!!!!!

Oh. In that case....kill the son of a bitch.

Demonpenz
10-03-2008, 02:17 PM
the big ones are 12 gauge point blank. the rest range from .22 to 50 cal. the other side has almost zero sheetmetal.

Was going to say .22 but I didn't think they would go through that clean. Thought it would have to be bigger. was the 50 cal from a desert eagle?

MOhillbilly
10-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Was going to say .22 but I didn't think they would go through that clean. Thought it would have to be bigger. was the 50 cal from a desert eagle?

.22 wont go through. i had a .44 DE one of the origonal IMI. the .50 cal is a thompson center.

Demonpenz
10-03-2008, 03:00 PM
nice

xbarretx
10-03-2008, 03:01 PM

or if that didnt work bust out the old barrett light fifty on its @$$. just make sure to do it from a mile away so you get bragging rights. oh and fire it straight into the engine block

MOhillbilly
10-03-2008, 03:44 PM
or if that didnt work bust out the old barrett light fifty on its @$$. just make sure to do it from a mile away so you get bragging rights. oh and fire it straight into the engine block

it still wouldnt go through the backstop, so you could shoot through the door or bed from 20 yds and be ok.

Rain Man
10-03-2008, 06:19 PM
The tragedy is that the deer was there because it was handicapped too and had always dreamed of goring to death a teenager in a wheelchair.

jidar
10-03-2008, 06:34 PM

ROFL

Midnight_Vulture
10-03-2008, 06:59 PM
WOW he killed a poor defenseless deer. Congrats!