PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Atlanta is making a case that they made the right choice with Ryan

Mr. Flopnuts
10-05-2008, 02:28 PM
I'll eat crow. I didn't want nothing to do with the guy. I was thrilled we got Dorsey, and I still am. I don't have one regret that we have Glenn Dorsey, but I sure wouldn't be upset with Matt Ryan right now.

CupidStunt
10-05-2008, 02:32 PM
It's FIVE games. Solid as Ryan looks, we simply don't know yet. He might go on to suck, Dorsey might fulfill his potential and become the best in the league. Or Ryan could become a franchise guy.

Who knows. But it's not important to the Chiefs. Their DT situation should be set for a decade. There was no QB on the board and that's the priority in the offseason. One thing's for sure: Ryan wouldn't look as good as he has in KC.

Herm and a shaky O-line would see to that. The coaches in Atlanta are pretty smart, and the O-line is solid.

bestjersey
10-09-2008, 10:42 AM
:clap:

Chiefnj2
10-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Everyone would be calling him a bust in KC. No protection, not allowed to go downfield, no running game, no receivers.

OnTheWarpath58
10-09-2008, 10:47 AM
Everyone would be calling him a bust in KC. No protection, not allowed to go downfield, no running game, no receivers.

Bingo.

And honestly, outside of a few deep balls he completed to receivers with 10 yards of separation, he hasn't been anything special.

And that's WITH a decent OL and a great running game.

Look at his numbers against teams with decent defenses - they look just like Croyle's.

Averaging a 46% completion percentage, 158 yards, 0 TD's and 2 INT's.

Detoxing
10-09-2008, 10:48 AM

Im sure D-Bowe and Gonzalez count as recievers. Just because Darling sucks doesnt mean we dont have weapons.

OnTheWarpath58
10-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Im sure D-Bowe and Gonzalez count as recievers. Just because Darling sucks doesnt mean we dont have weapons.

When's the last time Bowe or Gonzalez was SO wide open it made for an easy throw?

True weapons can GET OPEN more than 10 yards downfield.

Without an OL or running game, it's a moot point anyway.

Redrum_69
10-09-2008, 10:57 AM
We may have hidden TRUE weapons...but with the lack of a passing game..accurate passing game that is...we'll be losers for a long time

trade them all, go for the next draft, and fire peterson

and herm

and everyone else

or sell the team and get a different team

Fairplay
10-09-2008, 11:05 AM

I agree. He would me hurried much more, and not look as good if he went to KC.

We have to get that O-Line taken care of. I was really hoping they would had improved it better during the off season.
Larry Johnson would have more yards running. Recievers would have better stats. It all about the line first.

suds79
10-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Bingo.

And honestly, outside of a few deep balls he completed to receivers with 10 yards of separation, he hasn't been anything special.

And that's WITH a decent OL and a great running game.

Look at his numbers against teams with decent defenses - they look just like Croyle's.

Averaging a 46% completion percentage, 158 yards, 0 TD's and 2 INT's.

Come on man. Just given the fact that they're getting something (and much more than that) at all out of a rookie QB is nothing less than amazing as typically rookie QBs look like garbage.

If he gets it now, just imagine him in a few years?

The early returns are that he's far & away the pick of the draft so far when you look at who was considered the "elite" prospects.

Chief Faithful
10-09-2008, 11:28 AM
We have to get that O-Line taken care of.

Didn't you hear they are night and day better than last year? Its all just a bad rap. :bong:

Ozark Dirtbag
10-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Rick Mirer (1993) and Michael Clayton (2004) are prime examples of why not to get overly excited about rookie performances.

blueballs
10-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Linhart started out like this
now no thumbs Warner is starting

blueballs
10-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Chiefs D makes them superstars for a year
then they fall to earth
like a bird who ate to much shit and flew to high

Micjones
10-09-2008, 12:31 PM

Oops... Said too much.

Micjones
10-09-2008, 12:37 PM
Rick Mirer (1993)

Horrible example.

Mirer's rookie season saw a completion percentage of 57%, less than 6 yards per completion, more INT's than TD's, and 13 fumbles.

Micjones
10-09-2008, 12:38 PM
When's the last time Bowe or Gonzalez was SO wide open it made for an easy throw?

True weapons can GET OPEN more than 10 yards downfield.

Come on. Darling's been wide open three times I can recall this season.

Reerun_KC
10-09-2008, 12:40 PM

You actually sure it has been 3 times?

OnTheWarpath58
10-09-2008, 12:40 PM

Wow.

3 times in 5 games.

Amazing production.

Brock
10-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Kind of hard to judge a receiver with the collection of turds this team has at QB.

Chiefnj2
10-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Horrible example.

Mirer's rookie season saw a completion percentage of 57%, less than 6 yards per completion, more INT's than TD's, and 13 fumbles.

Ryan won't catch him in fumbles, but the rest of his numbers aren't far off - 54%, 6.6 ypc and 4TD to 3 INT. That's playing two of the worst teams in the NFL.

Micjones
10-09-2008, 12:56 PM
You actually sure it has been 3 times?

I'm fairly positive.

Micjones
10-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Wow.

3 times in 5 games.

Amazing production.

If a QB had found him and delivered the ball he'd probably have 3 TD catches.
But 3 TD receptions in 5 games (for a #2 Receiver) is nothing to write home about, right?

Who writes your material?

Micjones
10-09-2008, 12:58 PM
Kind of hard to judge a receiver with the collection of turds this team has at QB.

*Cough*

OnTheWarpath58
10-09-2008, 01:06 PM
If a QB had found him and delivered the ball he'd probably have 3 TD catches.
But 3 TD receptions in 5 games (for a #2 Receiver) is nothing to write home about, right?

Who writes your material?

He'd probably have 3 TD catches?

Please tell me your kidding. You're talking about a guy that has FOUR catches ALL YEAR.

He was given one on a silver fucking platter in Week 1, and couldn't seal the deal. Now it's the QB's fault?

Getting open 3 times in 5 weeks isn't something to be proud of...

Micjones
10-09-2008, 01:14 PM
He'd probably have 3 TD catches?

Please stop and think critically.

It's not unreasonable to think that a Wide Receiver streaking down the field could score if someone could locate him and get the ball to him.

I'm not a fan of Devard Darling. I personally think he's been wildly unproductive. That; however, does not mean he hasn't been open.

Please tell me your kidding. You're talking about a guy that has FOUR catches ALL YEAR.

The fact that he hasn't produced means he hasn't been open?
How do you reconcile that?

He was given one on a silver ****ing platter in Week 1, and couldn't seal the deal. Now it's the QB's fault?

Game announcers have remarked on the instances where he's been open.
I'm not making this up OTW. There have been times this season where he's been open and no one found him.

Getting open 3 times in 5 weeks isn't something to be proud of...

Don't take liberties with my commentary.
I said he's been open three times I can recall (not that he's only been open thrice).
And not just open... But WIDE open. The kind of wide open that equals 6 if the QB gets him the ball.

Me pointing out the fact that he's been open in no way means I stand in support of him being a starter here or anywhere else in the NFL. It also doesn't mean he's even talented.

He may have been open because of a blown assignment.
He may have been open because he was quiet for most of the day.
Who knows?

My point is...
He has been open at times this year and no one got him the ball.

OnTheWarpath58
10-09-2008, 01:20 PM
Please stop and think critically.

It's not unreasonable to think that a Wide Receiver streaking down the field could score if someone could locate him and get the ball to him.

Think critically?

Do we need to go over that catch in Week 1 AGAIN?

You know, the one where he WAS streaking down the field, WAS located, and WAS delivered the ball - yet COULDN'T finish the deal?

Amazing that you assume he'd score, when the one time he was put in the exact position you describe, FAILED.

Sure-Oz
10-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Ryan would fail wth our administration and coaching staff, just like Croyle has and he's brittle

Deberg_1990
10-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Think critically?

Do we need to go over that catch in Week 1 AGAIN?

You know, the one where he WAS streaking down the field, WAS located, and WAS delivered the ball - yet COULDN'T finish the deal?

Speaking of that, if we could get more QB consistancy like that throw, our WR's would look alot better.

That was a great throw. Im more inclined to believe MicJones in this case.

OnTheWarpath58
10-09-2008, 01:30 PM
Speaking of that, if we could get more QB consistancy like that throw, our WR's would look alot better.

That was a great throw. Im more inclined to believe MicJones in this case.

Hold on.

Let's think about WHY he was open on that play.

Let's think about almost EVERY OTHER pass play you've seen this year.

Any QB in the league could have hit Darling on that pass against NE. That's the point I'm trying to make about Ryan. He's been the beneficiary of a WR corp that is getting a ton of separation. He has no pressure to try to squeeze the ball into a tight spot.

Our QB's, OTOH, are ALWAYS in a position to have to throw a perfect pass, because our WR's always have someone draped all over them.

Because they STRUGGLE to separate on a consistent basis.

StcChief
10-09-2008, 01:31 PM
well he's not betting or running a dog fighting thing. So that's a start.

OnTheWarpath58
10-09-2008, 01:32 PM
well he's not betting or running a dog fighting thing. So that's a start.

ROFL

Deberg_1990
10-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Our QB's, OTOH, are ALWAYS in a position to have to throw a perfect pass, because our WR's always have someone draped all over them.

Because they STRUGGLE to separate on a consistent basis.

Perhaps, they also have not had the benefit of very good pass protection to stand, read, and let a play develop effectively.

OnTheWarpath58
10-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Perhaps, they also have not had the benefit of very good pass protection to stand, read, and let a play develop effectively.

If receivers were getting hit in the back before they came out of their breaks, I'd be inclined to agree with you.

You can tell the difference between a finished route and an unfinished route.

And for the most part, in both cases, DB's are on our WR's like white on rice.

Ozark Dirtbag
10-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Horrible example.

Bullshit Micjones!

Mirer was the UPI AFC Rookie of the Year for 1993. He set NFL rookie records for attempts, completions & yards. He finished his rookie season 5th in the AFC with 274 completions and 2833 yards.

Through year one, Mirer was considered by the majority the better QB over Drew Bledsoe. He was being dubbed a can't miss future star after his rookie year.

OnTheWarpath58
10-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Bullshit Micjones!

Mirer was the UPI AFC Rookie of the Year for 1993. He set NFL rookie records for attempts, completions & yards. He finished his rookie season 5th in the AFC with 274 completions and 2833 yards.

Through year one, Mirer was considered by the majority the better QB over Drew Bledsoe. He was being dubbed a can't miss future star after his rookie year.

Don't know about all that, but he was sacked 47 times his rookie year.

Ouch.

beach tribe
10-09-2008, 01:52 PM
He would have been Herm cuffed, and his dick would have been Curled if we'd have drafted him.

BigRedChief
10-09-2008, 01:53 PM
If Ryan had fallen to us we would not have taken him anyway.

Brock
10-09-2008, 01:55 PM
If Ryan had fallen to us we would not have taken him anyway.

:shrug: As good a guess as any.

Micjones
10-09-2008, 02:14 PM
Mirer was the UPI AFC Rookie of the Year for 1993.

The Associated Press' Rookie of the Year honors are almost unanimously held as the standard. Have been for as long as I can remember. And that award went to Jerome Bettis in 1993.

He set NFL rookie records for attempts, completions & yards. He finished his rookie season 5th in the AFC with 274 completions and 2833 yards.

486 of them. That was more than all but 4 other QB's in the league.
You should keep that in mind when considering the rookie record he broke for completions. Even when considering the record he did so completing under 57% of his passes.

And breaking the rookie record for passing yardage in a single-season might be impressive if he had thrown for more than just 5.8 yards per clip.

I could've looked at those numbers and told you chances were that Mirer wouldn't be a very good QB. That wasn't hard to see.

And while he may have had a better rookie campaign than Bledsoe (which doesn't say much AND can be argued) they were still nothing to write home about.

Ozark Dirtbag
10-09-2008, 02:37 PM
The Associated Press' Rookie of the Year honors are almost unanimously held as the standard. Have been for as long as I can remember. And that award went to Jerome Bettis in 1993.

Running backs usually take home the AP OROY because they have the easiest transition to the pro game than any position.

486 of them. That was more than all but 4 other QB's in the league.
You should keep that in mind when considering the rookie record he broke for completions. Even when considering the record he did so completing under 57% of his passes.

And breaking the rookie record for passing yardage in a single-season might be impressive if he had thrown for more than just 5.8 yards per clip.

You would still be harded pressed to find rookie QBs who performed better as rookies. One of the reasons why Mirer broke those records because most other rookie QBs performed far worse in their first year behind center. Rookie QBs who perform like Greg Cook (1969), Dan Marino (1983) and Ben Roethlisberger (1994) are rare.

I could've looked at those numbers and told you chances were that Mirer wouldn't be a very good QB. That wasn't hard to see.

That's total horseshit. A vast majority of rookie QBs fall flat on their face. Failure is part of the growth process. Nobody can make a fair assessment of a QB's future after one season.

RustShack
10-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Eh, we didn't have a shot anyways... he was already drafted when we were up to pick... I still like Dorsey more anyways.

CupidStunt
10-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Eh, we didn't have a shot anyways... he was already drafted when we were up to pick... I still like Dorsey more anyways.

Many on ChiefsPlanet are too stupid to understand that.

"Wahhhh, we shudve drafted Crowmarty!!1111!!!!!!!oneee!1"

Micjones
10-09-2008, 04:34 PM
Running backs usually take home the AP OROY because they have the easiest transition to the pro game than any position.

An entirely different discussion.
The point here is that Mirer didn't win the AP Rookie of the Year Award.

You would still be harded pressed to find rookie QBs who performed better as rookies.

I can quickly think of a few examples of better rookie campaigns at QB.

That's total horseshit. A vast majority of rookie QBs fall flat on their face. Failure is part of the growth process. Nobody can make a fair assessment of a QB's future after one season.

QB's in the NFL who usually succeed show signs, over a relatively short period of time, that they are capable of playing at a high level. I've proven this time and again. There are exceptions; however, to this rule.

Go back and look at Mirer's first season.
He played fairly well in the opening 5 games of the season.
He got progressively worse as the season went on.

Remember... Mirer was a Day 1 starter who played 16 games.
That's not real common.

It's less common to find a guy who never really flashed and didn't improve as the season went on that keeps the job. Most of the time when they do... They were high draft picks.