PDA

View Full Version : Football WTF is wrong with the Chargers?

el borracho
10-05-2008, 07:43 PM
I know it is difficult to care a whole lot about the rest of the league when our Chiefs are so awful but I am curious if anyone knows what is wrong with the Chargers this year. Is it Norv? Injuries? Bad luck? It seemed like they got jobbed the first two games but, even outside of that, the bits I have seen have been terrible. Has anyone watched enough to know what happened to the team that was 12-4 not so long ago?

acasas4
10-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Norv.

morphius
10-05-2008, 07:45 PM
They only had enough talent to survive one year of Nerv as HC, which is more than most teams...

Midnight_Vulture
10-05-2008, 07:46 PM
The Fins are alot better than you guys are letting on.

Skip Towne
10-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Marty leaves, team crumbles. Happens every time.

Pasta Giant Meatball
10-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Didn't they start this slowly last year as well??

Farzin
10-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Marty leaves, team crumbles. Happens every time.

Actually, Marty leaves and this team makes the AFC Championship..

L.A. Chieffan
10-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Norv makes Herm Edwards look like.......Herm Edwards.

blueballs
10-05-2008, 07:51 PM
drug tests and FA

rambleonthruthefog
10-05-2008, 08:15 PM
Norv.

without a doubt

Count Alex's Wins
10-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Would you rather have Herm - evidently can't build a team, but can do OK with one built for him - or Norv - can fuck up a good team.

2bikemike
10-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Simply Overrated!

el borracho
10-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Anyone have any in depth analysis of Rivers at this point? Who looks better- Rivers or Cutler?

blueballs
10-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Nov + wet dream

Basileus777
10-05-2008, 08:23 PM
As much as everyone will blame Tedd Cottrell and Norv, on defense, its a matter of personnel and talent. It's a ripple effect with Merriman going down and Jamal getting older. With Merriman injured and Jamal Williams on the decline, the Chargers defense has essentially lost its two best players. Olshansky, Phillips and Castillo aren't playing as well without Williams and Merriman drawing attention and double teams. Merriman's absence is showing itself to be absolutely huge for this defense. It's turning out that Merriman covered Philips' and Castillo's and Igor's backsides alot more than people thought. San Diego also has below-average safeties and garbage at ILB, and now its showing.

They also have some issues with their oline and with Tomlinson, but it's the defense that is the real problem.

Hydrae
10-05-2008, 08:25 PM
Anyone have any in depth analysis of Rivers at this point? Who looks better- Rivers or Cutler?

I would like that same comparison made between Rivers and Eli (trade brothers for life) and also between Rivers and Brees (if I was the Chargers I would have kept Brees and never even drafted Rivers).

damaticous
10-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Norv.

Agreed. Marty created a really good team and got fired. Norv comes in and looses the talent that Marty brought in.

That's the NFL though. It's the way all teams work.

For example...Our beloved Chiefs, or Indy respectfully....

(I could be wrong, but I doubt it) Herm will brought in good talent. In the next couple years Herm will leave or get fired. After that the Chiefs will hire an amibitions head coach and get to the playoffs or...GASP...the Superbowl. After the Playoffs or SB the team will go to crap again in 5-10 years,

respectfully just like the Colts. They were EXTREMELY good and are now loosing steam (well, not as good as they were 2-3 years ago).

It's all a frequency wave.

Good, really good, good, bad, really bad...
good, really good, good, bad, really bad...

Seems to be the way the NFL and (from what I've seen) College ball is.

I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me (and my spelling and punct. :)) but that's just the way I see it.

Mojo Rising
10-05-2008, 09:05 PM
LT looks like he is starting to get old. The 30 year RB old monster is rearing his head.

Count Alex's Wins
10-05-2008, 09:06 PM

Rivers is a system QB.

Cutler is the system.

Howlin Wolf
10-05-2008, 09:07 PM
the Chargers haven't been the same since Merriman slipped on a empty steroid bottle in the bathroom and hurt his knee.

rtmike
10-05-2008, 09:08 PM
My memory isn't what it used to be but I do remember the Chiefs not as dominate when DT wasn't out there. DT putting consistent pressure on the QB always seemed to have the ripple affect.

I would attribute Merriman being out to part of their decline.

chiefs1111
10-05-2008, 09:09 PM
I wish Herm was coach of the Chargers

Buck
10-05-2008, 10:13 PM
They are off to a bad start, the only difference from last year is that there is an actual good team in the division this year.

el borracho
10-05-2008, 10:20 PM
They are off to a bad start, the only difference from last year is that there is an actual good team in the division this year.

What? How does one good team in the division explain the Chargers' multiple losses? You've only played the Bronc-hoes once, yet what is the Chargers' record?

Basileus777
10-05-2008, 10:22 PM
What? How does one good team in the division explain the Chargers' multiple losses? You've only played the Bronc-hoes once, yet what is the Chargers' record?

He is assuming that since the Chargers started off slow last year and pulled it together they can do it again this year, except this year the Broncos are 4-1.

Buck
10-05-2008, 10:23 PM

Thats not what I was referring to senor.

I was saying that the Bolts were able to overcome their 1-3 start last year to win the AFC West. They finished 11-5.

Even if they finish 12-4 this year (meaning finishing the season 10-1), they won't win the AFC West.

Fish
10-05-2008, 10:30 PM
They need to fire all the coaches, GM, and clean out the front office!!!

el borracho
10-05-2008, 10:52 PM
If they were dumb enough to fire the GM I would want him in place in our org. within 10 hours.

el borracho
10-05-2008, 10:55 PM
Thats not what I was referring to senor.

I was saying that the Bolts were able to overcome their 1-3 start last year to win the AFC West. They finished 11-5.

Even if they finish 12-4 this year (meaning finishing the season 10-1), they won't win the AFC West.

Oh, ok, understood. On the bright side for you guys there is still plenty of time for the Broncos to go on a losing streak and they have the defense to do it. Still, very strange to see the AFCW look so crappy all around with no legit playoff contender.

B_Ambuehl
10-06-2008, 12:06 AM
They're still just one lucky ass play and a blown call away from being a 4-1 football team so I wouldn't panic yet. They were 1-3 last year and went to the AFC championship. If they lose to the Pats next week I'd start to worry but teams going from one coast to the other usually do get beat and Miami isn't all that bad.

Ugly Duck
10-06-2008, 03:50 AM
Its a sad state in the AFCW when the Broncos are in the lead. The fuggin Broncos! The team that got blown out by lowly KC is leading the division. Unbefreakinlieveable.

King_Chief_Fan
10-06-2008, 08:14 AM
I know it is difficult to care a whole lot about the rest of the league when our Chiefs are so awful but I am curious if anyone knows what is wrong with the Chargers this year. Is it Norv? Injuries? Bad luck? It seemed like they got jobbed the first two games but, even outside of that, the bits I have seen have been terrible. Has anyone watched enough to know what happened to the team that was 12-4 not so long ago?

What is wrong with the Chargers? Norv Turner

Garcia Bronco
10-06-2008, 09:54 AM

Cutler is the better physical QB, but Rivers can read a defense very well. He might not have a rocket arm, but he can find the open man. It's a testiment to being a 4 year starter at NCS.

Garcia Bronco
10-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Its a sad state in the AFCW when the Broncos are in the lead. The fuggin Broncos! The team that got blown out by lowly KC is leading the division. Unbefreakinlieveable.

Blown out? LOL

L.A. Chieffan
10-06-2008, 09:58 AM
Blown out? LOL

If you lose to the Chiefs by even 1 point it's considered a blowout

Frazod
10-06-2008, 10:11 AM
I'm certainly going to quit putting high points on them. They're killing me in the pool. :banghead:

vailpass
10-06-2008, 10:14 AM
I don't care what he says LT is not 100% right now. Once he is completely healthy that O will regain form.
Their D misses Merriman, how could it not?
Still there is enough talent on both sides of the ball for SD to right the ship if Norv and staff have the ability to coach them to their strengths.
IMHO.

Buck
10-06-2008, 10:30 AM
I don't care what he says LT is not 100% right now. Once he is completely healthy that O will regain form.
Their D misses Merriman, how could it not?
Still there is enough talent on both sides of the ball for SD to right the ship if Norv and staff have the ability to coach them to their strengths.
IMHO.

Yesterday's loss can be placed squarely on the shoulders of the offense.

When the defense gives up only 17 points to the Dolphins, it should be a win for the Chargers 9 out of 10 times.

Mr. Kotter
10-06-2008, 10:49 AM
Two words: Norv Turner.

RJ
10-06-2008, 11:07 AM
I've watched a couple of their games and they just look like a different team, though I have no clue why. LT seems hesitant when running the ball, he looks to me like he's lost a step. Gates disappears for long periods of time. Rivers is a decent QB but not the type to carry a team on his shoulders. They look very average to me.

sd4chiefs
10-06-2008, 11:14 AM
It's all my fault that the Chargers are losing. I placed a bet in Vegas that the Chargers would win the AFC Championship. A least my bet that the Chiefs would win less than 6 games is looking good.

bowener
10-06-2008, 11:43 AM
I think they just want to move to LA.

caffeinated_virus
10-06-2008, 12:14 PM
We are bad right now, no question. We got punched in the mouth all day long yesterday...

OL can't block to save their lives. No time to pass.

They really look uninspired right now. Zero motivation.

LT is hurt and you can tell. He is not the same.

Our DL, minus Jamal Williams is invisible.
Our LB are playing like crap.

Going to be a rough season.

Oh ya, and Norv is not HC material.

Buck
10-06-2008, 12:16 PM
We are bad right now, no question. We got punched in the mouth all day long yesterday...

OL can't block to save their lives. No time to pass.

They really look uninspired right now. Zero motivation.

LT is hurt and you can tell. He is not the same.

Our DL, minus Jamal Williams is invisible.
Our LB are playing like crap.

Going to be a rough season.

Oh ya, and Norv is not HC material.

I have a feeling thats the consensus over at the Charger's Boards.

I never like to go over there after a loss, everyone turns into a bitch.

caffeinated_virus
Cutler is the better physical QB, but Rivers can read a defense very well. He might not have a rocket arm, but he can find the open man.

Thats pretty good assessment.

When Rivers is given time, he will carve defenses up.

BTW, the Broncos OL is much better than I thought. Cutler has a lot of time back there.

caffeinated_virus
I have a feeling thats the consensus over at the Charger's Boards.

I never like to go over there after a loss, everyone turns into a bitch.

I never go there. It's like kindergarten all over. :)

vailpass
10-06-2008, 01:04 PM
Yesterday's loss can be placed squarely on the shoulders of the offense.

When the defense gives up only 17 points to the Dolphins, it should be a win for the Chargers 9 out of 10 times.

Yep.

Chief Faithful
10-06-2008, 03:06 PM
Norv Turner

Next question?

the joker
10-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Norv Turner

Next question?

Is he better than Herm? :)

beach tribe
10-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Is he better than Herm? :)

Yes.

the joker
10-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Yes.

awesome.

Chief Faithful
10-06-2008, 04:43 PM
Aren't the Chargers typically a slow starting team just like the Donks typically start fast?

StcChief
10-06-2008, 05:04 PM
did one of their two fans die?

Buck
10-06-2008, 05:05 PM
did one of their two fans die?

Im present and accounted for.

Wait, no, I'm a Chiefs Fan, I have been for life.

El Pendejo
10-06-2008, 05:10 PM
Aren't the Chargers typically a slow starting team just like the Donks typically start fast?

Typically they suck. Their modicum of success is a recent thing. I believe they did start out 0-4 last year before going on an impressive run. What I think has to make charger fans worry is the way teams like carolina, and miami have physically beat the piss out of them. Rivers has been great though.

the joker
10-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Typically they suck. Their modicum of success is a recent thing. I believe they did start out 0-4 last year before going on an impressive run. What I think has to make charger fans worry is the way teams like carolina, and miami have physically beat the piss out of them. Rivers has been great though.

I watched the game yesterday...they looked like crap, almost like they didn't want to play. The OL looked especially special that day. I think they took the day off. :):)

Long Duk Dong
10-06-2008, 05:49 PM
hmm...maybe we can catch them and steal a win from them...especially now...they suck.