PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Are we in the "loser" zone?

Mr. Laz
10-05-2008, 07:07 PM
At some point, certain teams and organizations get into the loser zone. Where any player signed or drafted by the team comes into the situation EXPECTING to lose.

good players suddenly become average
average players suddenly suck

are the Chiefs like the Royals?

:(

Short Leash Hootie
10-05-2008, 07:08 PM
you're gay

Iowanian
10-05-2008, 07:12 PM
The Bengals have been to a superbowl in my lifetime. The Chiefs have not.

ClevelandBronco
10-05-2008, 07:16 PM
The guys who play for the Chiefs have been the best players at every other level all their lives. They won in Peewee league, in high school and in college.

Losing is a rare experience for almost all these guys or they wouldn't have been invited to play pro ball.

I think Laz poses a valid question. IMO, at some point turning a losing program around becomes an issue of depth of character rather than talent alone.

Deberg_1990
10-05-2008, 07:18 PM
I would have to say yes.

We have been drafting bad for the better part of a decade now.

We are still paying for the flop of Ryan Sims and several others. Its all a snowball effect.

smittysbar
10-05-2008, 07:37 PM
The Panthers (a fucking expansion team) Stats over their time in the league makes us look pretty bad

triple
10-05-2008, 07:41 PM
the culture of the organization has become that of a bottom feeder

FAX
10-05-2008, 07:45 PM
I think that when you're 1 and 12 or whatever it is. You are definitely in the "loser zone".

And, you're right, Mr. Laz. Once you're there, it's very, very difficult to turn things around. Much more difficult than it would be if you were just rebuilding from the middle of the pack. That's why our drafting for the last 20 years hurts so much. Unless you've had a serious cap implosion, there's no rational reason why a team needs to fall this far before trying to improve.

FAX

RJ
10-05-2008, 08:38 PM
I wouldn't feel so bad about becoming one of "those teams" if we had a history of being able to rebuild. I could live with a few years of being a laughing stock. Unfortunately, we're more than a few years away from being a competitive team and don't have the management in place at any level to turn things around.

The good news for me, though, is that I'm not mad about it. Maybe it's because I'm older or maybe it's because my expectations are so low, but I'm not pissed about today's game. In years past a loss like that would have affected me for days, but not any more.

FAX
10-05-2008, 08:43 PM
I wouldn't feel so bad about becoming one of "those teams" if we had a history of being able to rebuild. I could live with a few years of being a laughing stock. Unfortunately, we're more than a few years away from being a competitive team and don't have the management in place at any level to turn things around.

The good news for me, though, is that I'm not mad about it. Maybe it's because I'm older or maybe it's because my expectations are so low, but I'm not pissed about today's game. In years past a loss like that would have affected me for days, but not any more.

The NE loss affected me a whole lot more than this one. That was a game we could have won ... and probably would have won had it not been for the phenomenally idiotic play-calling.

I get more upset when the guys put up a fight and lose because of Herm. This was a case where everything went wrong. You're going to have days like that, I'm afraid. Especially with a young team.

I worry, however, that a culture of losing and ineptness will envelope the lockerroom. Once that happens, it will take (as you say) many years to turn it around. And, it will get much worse when veterans like LJ and Gonzo put the pressure on to be traded.

FAX

chiefs1111
10-05-2008, 08:46 PM
I just want to punch Herm Edwards in the face

morphius
10-05-2008, 08:49 PM
the chiefs are so bad they couldn't score at the bunny ranch. Beating denver was like sleeping with the passed out crack whore.

KCJohnny
10-05-2008, 08:52 PM
The problem occurred when the FO bought into a draft-only youth movement that did not exert any major muscle movement to acquire even a few (younger) FAs. The ones that were acquired seem like busts already (all Chiefs LBs except DE and DJ).

Has any team ever successfully rebuilt using only draft picks? I remember the 1-15 Cowboys had a lot of kids and were in the SB 3 years later. But I bet they had a few FA acquisitions to help out with the rebuild.

ClevelandBronco
10-05-2008, 08:54 PM
the chiefs are so bad they couldn't score at the bunny ranch. Beating denver was like sleeping with the passed out crack whore.

I'm just worried that they'll score at the horsey ranch.

eazyb81
10-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Not at all. Maybe it's because I no longer live in KC so I am not exposed to all the Chiefs drama, but I don't think it's as bad as some on here make it out to be.

Last year was the first year in a long time where we were truly a bad football team, and this year will be the second year. Still, there are four teams that don't even have a win, and a handful on 1-win teams. We all knew this was going to be another rough year, and we desperately need a new QB.

I know it sucks watching this team right now and we all hate Carl/Herm, but we have some young talent to work with and get excited about.

Mr. Laz
10-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Not at all. Maybe it's because I no longer live in KC so I am not exposed to all the Chiefs drama, but I don't think it's as bad as some on here make it out to be.

Last year was the first year in a long time where we were truly a bad football team, and this year will be the second year. Still, there are four teams that don't even have a win, and a handful on 1-win teams. We all knew this was going to be another rough year, and we desperately need a new QB.

I know it sucks watching this team right now and we all hate Carl/Herm, but we have some young talent to work with and get excited about.

then why do good players suddenly turn to crap as soon as they put on a Chiefs' uni?

Braincase
10-06-2008, 10:00 AM
When our first round pick says "Trade me. There's no freakin' way I'll ever play for KC.", we're definitely in the loser zone.

HemiEd
10-06-2008, 10:01 AM
The good news for me, though, is that I'm not mad about it. Maybe it's because I'm older or maybe it's because my expectations are so low, but I'm not pissed about today's game. In years past a loss like that would have affected me for days, but not any more.That is two of us, heck, I didn't even watch most of the game. That is a direct result of Herm Fucking Edwards, nobody else.
For 38 years, my ass was glued to the seat, watching every play. Not any more, I have my freedom, thanks to Herm fucking Edwards.

bowener
10-06-2008, 10:53 AM
The NE loss affected me a whole lot more than this one. That was a game we could have won ... and probably would have won had it not been for the phenomenally idiotic play-calling.

I get more upset when the guys put up a fight and lose because of Herm. This was a case where everything went wrong. You're going to have days like that, I'm afraid. Especially with a young team.

I worry, however, that a culture of losing and ineptness will envelope the lockerroom. Once that happens, it will take (as you say) many years to turn it around. And, it will get much worse when veterans like LJ and Gonzo put the pressure on to be traded.

FAX

I think this is/has already begun. Just look at the players in each game (except denver). They are hanging their heads by mid second quarter. I actually feel sorry for them knowing they have never truly experienced this level of shit-itude in their lives... except maybe in grades but those didnt get them millions of dollars. I pray we do not see a copycat effect of suicides after the first chief offs himself...fingers crossed for DMac (im kidding, but not that much).

Ultra Peanut
10-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Yes. Yes, a million times yes!

Rausch
10-06-2008, 11:20 AM
We've been there for YEARS.

After overachieving for so long it seems impossible WE are the team that sucks.

But we do...

alpha_omega
10-06-2008, 11:24 AM
The Bengals have been to a superbowl in my lifetime...

Twice!

Taco John
10-06-2008, 11:33 AM
I"m worried for you guys. You guys have been averaging a playoff win a decade since 1970. We're here in 2008, and you guys look nowhere close to getting your token playoff win for this last decade.

I'm having to resort to looking for a new team to talk smack with. It's hard to talk smack with a team who has Carl Peterson as their GM, and Herm as their head coach. It's like smack overload, shorting out the system through the pity circuit breaker. I try to talk smack, but I end up having to shut it down without hitting "post" in order to maintain self respect.

This is a frightening situation all around.

talastan
10-06-2008, 11:55 AM
I"m worried for you guys. You guys have been averaging a playoff win a decade since 1970. We're here in 2008, and you guys look nowhere close to getting your token playoff win for this last decade.

I'm having to resort to looking for a new team to talk smack with. It's hard to talk smack with a team who has Carl Peterson as their GM, and Herm as their head coach. It's like smack overload, shorting out the system through the pity circuit breaker. I try to talk smack, but I end up having to shut it down without hitting "post" in order to maintain self respect.

And yet you still lost to US....ROFL

orange
10-06-2008, 01:18 PM
I think the Chiefs definitely crossed the line into the Loser Zone when they dumped Jared Allen.

When you trade away your best player, you tell EVERY player on the team that it's all bull. That whatever you do on the field, however hard you work off the field, however you scratch and claw and fight ... it's all for nothing. Because the only thing that matters to the organization is the $$$.

Guru
10-06-2008, 01:23 PM
We haven't reached Detroit depths just yet.

BigChiefFan
10-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Herm is lost, so his team is lost. Carl still employed twenty years later also sends a clear message of unaccountability throught the organization. Clark Punt is obviously nowhere to be found. They reap what they sow.

orange
10-06-2008, 01:24 PM

Matt Millen is available.

HemiEd
10-06-2008, 01:27 PM

scoreboard

orange
10-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Arrowhead Stadium - where smack goes to die.

Frazod
10-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Arrowhead Stadium - where the Broncos go to die.

FYP

Guru
10-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Matt Millen is available.Why? Do you want him?

Guru
10-06-2008, 01:42 PM
FYPIt's DONKEYS damnit!!!!

DJJasonp
10-06-2008, 01:52 PM
then why do good players suddenly turn to crap as soon as they put on a Chiefs' uni?

as well as players that are dropped or not re-signed by the chiefs - end up being productive players elsewhere (I dont want to even mention the two names I heard throughout the Tampa/Denver game).

HemiEd
10-06-2008, 02:00 PM
as well as players that are dropped or not re-signed by the chiefs - end up being productive players elsewhere (I dont want to even mention the two names I heard throughout the Tampa/Denver game).

Ryan Sims and Rich Scanlon?

chagrin
10-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Let's see, Herm Edwards took a 13-3 team, made them a 9-7 team (then lost 3-5 primary O-Linemen over the past 3 years) and, 5-11 team and now a joke of a team that will probably win 1-4 games this season.
No coach in the NFL survives such a downfall - I pray that Herm goes after this season. The man cannot motivate players to play and that's painfully obvious, period and his "style" is predictive, outdated and ineffective. His staff is sorry as shit as well...it's one thing to be the new coach but it's another thing altogether to suck as a leader, and he is no leader.

chagrin
10-06-2008, 02:07 PM

Dude, I know you're upset but Ryan Sims is still Ryan Sims, Tampa has enough players on Defense that he's left alone most of each game, and he's not blowing up the NFL. One good game does not a "productive" player, make.

Midnight_Vulture
10-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Chiefs are garbage. Have been for awhile. And many of you idiots wanted DV and Shotty gone. Idiots. Well I guess karma is a biatch.

Lucky for me I have the NFL ticket and am able to watch good teams play good football.

JuicesFlowing
10-06-2008, 02:15 PM
The Bengals have been to a superbowl in my lifetime. The Chiefs have not.

So has every team in the AFC West, except KC. Hell, even Seattle has been.

keg in kc
10-06-2008, 02:18 PM
I don't think this is a recent thing. I started watching the team in 1999, and I've never seen anything that I would characterize as a "winner". It's just been varying levels of mediocrity, even in 2003.

Taco John
10-06-2008, 02:59 PM

I've actually always thought that Detroit is a good comparison for the Chiefs. You guys have the edge on them, for sure, though. They only have 1 playoff win since 1970. Your three wins trumps them by two.

El Pendejo
10-06-2008, 04:03 PM
So has every team in the AFC West, except KC. Hell, even Seattle has been.

Yeah...and if you're in your early thirties one afc west team has been to six of them in your lifetime.