PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Nothing doing for Chiefs in 34-0 loss to Panthers

Tribal Warfare
10-06-2008, 01:30 AM
Nothing doing for Chiefs in 34-0 loss to Panthers (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/828263.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

CHARLOTTE, N.C. | This is exactly what Tony Gonzalez feared. His latest record-breaking catch was going to come in a stadium full of uncaring fans, in a game the Chiefs would lose and in a most unfulfilling manner.

Except his record for receiving yardage by a tight end was even less satisfying than Gonzalez ever imagined. Fitting for the day, Gonzalez set the mark in the first quarter while catching a 6-yard pass on third down and 16.

It came on sunny Carolina afternoon when the Chiefs set a season low for offensive futility. They gained only 127 yards and never came close to scoring in a 34-0 loss to Carolina.

Instead of toasting his record at home with family and friends after a victory, Gonzalez faced only a long and lonely trip back to Kansas City on Sunday night.

“That was the worst I have been involved with in my career,” Gonzalez said after most of his teammates had cleared from a gloomy locker room.

No hype there. After busting out with 33 points in last week’s win over Denver, the Chiefs crawled back to their ineffective ways — and then some. Hopeless doesn’t even begin to describe it.

“It seemed like every time we did anything, they had an answer for it,” Gonzalez said. “You’d think we’d be able to go out there and put something together, at least one drive.”

While the Chiefs floundered at times with the ball this season, Gonzalez still had trouble comprehending how they could give back everything they appeared to gain in last week’s win against the Broncos.

They were woeful in last month’s losses to Oakland and Atlanta but played those games with Tyler Thigpen instead of Damon Huard at quarterback.

Huard couldn’t save the Chiefs on Sunday. He looked rattled from the opening possession, which began at the Kansas City 18 and ended at the Chiefs’ 3.

Perhaps this is the mark of a team that only last week busted a 12-game losing streak.

“We took too long of a deep breath and had too much of a good-win hangover,” guard Brian Waters said. “We’ve got to learn as a football team, young and old, coaches and players, that when you win a football game, that’s great. You’ve got to celebrate one day, two days and then get over it, come back to work on Wednesday and focus and act like you haven’t won a game yet.

“We didn’t have the same passion or intent as we did or prepare the same as we did last week. Any team in the league would say that, that after winning a big game you worry about a letdown. That’s what happened to us.

“Part of being a new football team is that you don’t know how people are going to react. You’ve got to see how they’re going to deal with it. Maybe we haven’t learned enough yet to realize that after a big win you’ve got to come back with even more intensity. Winning a game on the road against a good football team is twice as hard as what we did last week.”

The Chiefs have a bye this week and play again on Oct. 19 against undefeated Tennessee at Arrowhead Stadium. Brodie Croyle will likely return as their quarterback, but he’s 0-7 as the starter and can hardly be viewed as a savior.

So while better days might be ahead for the Chiefs and their offense, they’ll probably have more games like this one, an afternoon for a record, but nothing else of value.

“It’s bittersweet,” Gonzalez said. “I’m happy for it, don’t get me wrong. It took a long time to get that, and I have been very fortunate to be around some good offensive coordinators … and great quarterbacks, too. It’s been a long time, and I’ve been very fortunate to have lasted that long. I’m going to take it in stride. I just wish it could have come in a different circumstance. It would have been a lot better.

“It takes a little bit off the record. That’s now, though. Maybe tomorrow or the next day I’ll feel better about it.”

JuicesFlowing
10-06-2008, 02:37 AM
Last week was a mirage.

Molitoth
10-06-2008, 09:03 AM
It took a long time to get that, and I have been very fortunate to be around some good offensive coordinators … and great quarterbacks, too

Ya.... those were the days. I see this as a blatant rip on the current, at least I hope it is.

Chiefnj2
10-06-2008, 09:11 AM
“We didn’t have the same passion or intent as we did or prepare the same as we did last week. Any team in the league would say that, that after winning a big game you worry about a letdown. That’s what happened to us."

Ending a 12 game losing streak is now considered a big win for the franchise and allows them all to get all giddy and not prepare for the next week.

triple
10-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Last week was a mirage.

the team was motivated to beat their rival. motivated doesn't necessarily mean you are capable, but denver came in and handed us the ball four times, and has a terrible defense. you do the math.

i doubt we'll win another game this year

BigChiefFan
10-06-2008, 10:01 AM
It sucks on game day, but if it means Carl and Herm are gone at the end of the year, I can deal with this.

beach tribe
10-06-2008, 11:11 AM
It sucks on game day, but if it means Carl and Herm are gone at the end of the year, I can deal with this.

That's the only thing that will save us now.

Please let them be gone.

StcChief
10-06-2008, 12:30 PM
We can't compete with Panthers this year or the last few years. TB/NO from NFC-S will likely kick our a$$ too.

We were lucky with Dungver last week.

Maybe rain/cold game will save the day late in the year. SD/Miami/Bungles

I see ALL LOSSES UNTIL December.

melbar
10-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Ya.... those were the days. I see this as a blatant rip on the current, at least I hope it is.

Thats what I thought...