PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Why are the Republicans candidates such dumbasses?

Ari Chi3fs
10-13-2008, 09:54 PM
McCain finished 894th out of 899 at the Naval Academy.

and Palin... failed the SAT in 1981. Geniouses!!!

http://mediatakeout.s3.amazonaws.com/photo/1223643806sarahfailed1.jpg

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-13-2008, 09:59 PM
Is that real?

An 841? 841?

OnTheWarpath58
10-13-2008, 10:01 PM
Is that real?

An 841? 841?

Jesus.

I heard Vince Young got a 867 on his SAT...

banyon
10-13-2008, 10:02 PM
How did she fail?

|Zach|
10-13-2008, 10:05 PM
'Fail' doesn't really apply to anything like this.

However...according to wikipedia that score is the equivalent to a 17 on the ACT.

In all seriousness that is such a ludicriously low score I refuse to believe the authenticity of this document.

OnTheWarpath58
How did she fail?

Though it's not scored this way, I can only assume he means that 841/1600 = 52.5%, or what would be determined as a failing grade.

Semantics aside, 841 may not get you an Asst. Manager job at QuikTrip, much less the Vice Presidency of the United States.

bango
Sweet Fancy Moses, I scored almost 1000 and I fall down a lot.

bango
10-13-2008, 10:07 PM
Please tell me that she took it again and had a better score.

OnTheWarpath58
10-13-2008, 10:09 PM
'Fail' doesn't really apply to anything like this.

However...according to wikipedia that score is the equivalent to a 17 on the ACT.

In all seriousness that is such a ludicriously low score I refuse to believe the authenticity of this document.

Yeah, you'd think she would have done much better, especially with questions like this:

A ship leaves the coast of Russia headed for Alaska traveling 15 knots.

At the same time, a ship leaves the coast of Alaska headed for Russia traveling 22 knots.

If both ships left at Noon on January 1st, what time/date will they cross paths?

banyon
10-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Though it's not scored this way, I can only assume he means that 841/1600 = 52.5%, or what would be determined as a failing grade.

Semantics aside, 841 may not get you an Asst. Manager job at QuikTrip, much less the Vice Presidency of the United States.

Isn't the point of the test to gain admission to college.

I looked at the University of Missouri's requirements and as long as you've got the grades, they say it's good enough.

http://www.umsl.edu/admission/freshmen/index.html

Ari Chi3fs
10-13-2008, 10:11 PM
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: This has NOT been fact checked. Could be a hilarious photoshop, could be a legitimate document.

Thig Lyfe
10-13-2008, 10:14 PM
"English Best Language: Yes"

HAHAHAHAHAHA

OnTheWarpath58
10-13-2008, 10:17 PM
"English Best Language: Yes"

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Doncha knooow?

*wink*

banyon
10-13-2008, 10:19 PM
http://www.offoffoff.com/dawn/scholap.jpg

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gawker/2008/10/Picture_754.jpg

It's fake (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=10300407#post10300407):

Charter Member Join Date: Sep 1999

I think I found the original.

Look at this entry from a woman's blog, dated 2004: High School Confidential. Read down a bit, and you'll see that she posted a scan of her old SAT results; click the image or here for the bigger picture.

Now, compare that picture with the supposed "Palin results". Interesting, eh? First, the scanned copies are at exactly the same angle, not perfectly square with the scanner's edge. The "blocked out" bits for both copies are identical: look at the "telephone number" space, for example. The remaining dot clutter is absolutely identical in both images. The dates are identical, except that "85" was changed to "82". Interesting that the "report date" of both tests would be March 23rd; in 1985, the date on the real results form, that was a Saturday, which is a typical day for SAT testing. In 1982, the date on Palin's photoshopped form, March 23rd was a Tuesday. And the real form has the same 5-3-3-1-2-3 that appears on the altered form, in precisely the same spots in the boxes.

A few things are covered over and the form in general is blurred up some to make it look "authentic" or something, but seriously, I think this is the original scan that someone altered. Take a closer look, see if you agree. And I say all of this as someone who couldn't possibly dislike Sarah Palin any more than I already do.

bango
10-13-2008, 10:23 PM
http://www.offoffoff.com/dawn/scholap.jpg

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gawker/2008/10/Picture_754.jpg

It's fake (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=10300407#post10300407):

Charter Member Join Date: Sep 1999

Good catch. There is no way that she scored thi high on it.

Logical
10-13-2008, 10:28 PM
Is that real?

An 841? 841?Don't they give you 800 just for taking it?

I see Banyon has found evidence it is a fake (amazing Photoshop skills by someone)

Oh well it was fun while it lasted.

bango
10-13-2008, 10:31 PM
Don't they give you 800 just for taking it?

I do not think so. I read somewhere that a score of higher than 700 is needed to be considered for college.

OnTheWarpath58
10-13-2008, 10:35 PM
The Palin thing is good for a laugh, but McCain's rank at the Academy is no laughing matter, IMO.

5th from the cellar?

What is it with this country knowingly voting for people that didn't take their academics seriously, or are just flat-out dumbasses?

banyon
10-13-2008, 10:36 PM
This guy put some thought into the subject:

http://www.halfsigma.com/2008/09/sarah-palins-iq-no-higher-than-110.html

Sarah Palin's IQ: no higher than 110

The starting point for my estimation of Sarah Palin’s IQ is her college career. The fact that she graduated from a four year college at all indicates her IQ is above average (above 100). But her college history seems indicative of someone who was barely able to graduate. It seems as if she couldn’t hack majoring at business at a college in Hawii, and then transferred to community colleges, and finally was able to transfer back to an easy four year college, the University of Idaho, where she graduated with an easy major, journalism. She definitely does not have the college career of someone whose IQ is one standard deviation or more above the man (115 or higher). Thus her IQ is likely somewhere between 100 and 115. Perhaps I was being generous in the previous post where I estimated 110. It could be as little as 100. A person with an IQ of 100 can still graduate from a four year college if she chooses an easy major and attends a non-challenging school such as the University of Idaho.

Now we must look at evidence of smartness and evidence of dumbness. Evidence of smartness first:

(1) Her sister says she is smart. In her biography, the sister says she was a bookworm as a kid, and on a recent interview on CNN, the sister said Sarah is very smart.

It’s not unheard of for siblings to help each other out, so this doesn’t really prove much. I would also not put much stock in the opinions of people in Wasilla where she was mayor. The average IQ of Wasilla seems to be about 95, and in the land of the blind the one-eyed woman is queen.

(2) She seemed competent talking about oil drilling on a Larry Kudlow interview that I watched.

What IQ does one need to speak competently about one topic? I think the 110 number would be high enough.

(3) She got elected governor of Alaska.

Surely this must demonstrate something? On the other hand, it seems to me like some freak occurrence, and maybe demonstrates the low IQ of Alaska voters rather than the high IQ of Sarah. Alaska does have a pretty abysmal high school graduation rate. Most intellectual Alaskans flee the state for more mentally stimulating jobs in the lower 48.

(4) She gave a good speech at the convention.

To what extent is public speaking correlated IQ? The correlation may not be that high. There are lots of high IQ people who are abysmal public speakers, so public speaking is not a highly g-loaded task. Normally, people with IQs below 115 don’t have the opportunity to do much public speaking because they don’t have much to say. But my guess is that a person with a propensity for public speaking with an IQ of 100 can sound a lot smarter than her IQ if there is a smart person available to put words in her mouth.

Meaningless evidence:

(1) Sarah is very self confident.

Self confidence is a trait that, if correlated with intelligence at all, is most likely inversely correlated. Comparing races, blacks have the highest self-confidence and Asians have the lowest self-confidence. But blacks have the lowest IQ and Asians have the highest IQ. Self confidence allows you to trick people into believing that you’re more competent than you really are.

Self confidence is related to being a good public speaker, so this trait is tricking people into overestimating her IQ.

Evidence of dumbness:

(1) She majored in journalism but there’s no evidence that she ever wrote anything.

Writing is a highly g-loaded task, so the lack of anything that she’s written could indicate her inability to write at a competent level.

(2) She had to hire an administrator to run the “city” of Wasilla.

Indicates she wasn’t smart enough to run the city herself?

(3) Interest in evangelical Christianity.

People who believe in the literal word of the Bible and get into evangelical Christianity are, on average, less intelligent than mainline Protestants.

(4) No intellectual hobbies.

Smart people have intellectual hobbies. Sarah likes to hunt moose.

(4) Proleness

I find this to be the most compelling indicator that Sarah’s IQ isn’t much higher than the minimum required to graduate from the University of Idaho. Social class is highly correlated with IQ. This correlation is much higher than the correlation between income and IQ or between income and class.

Both of Sarah’s parents are school teachers, the quintessential middle class jobs, but Sarah has clearly sunk to prole. Her husband hasn’t graduated from college, Track is not going to college, and Bristol gives no indication of being college-bound. Track getting arrested, and Bristol getting pregnant at 17 are markers of being prole rather than middle class.

Sinking in class below one’s parents tends to indicate having a lower IQ than one’s parents, which is why I have a hard time believing that Sarah’s IQ is any higher than 110.

jAZ
10-13-2008, 10:40 PM
Isn't the point of the test to gain admission to college.

I looked at the University of Missouri's requirements and as long as you've got the grades, they say it's good enough.

http://www.umsl.edu/admission/freshmen/index.html
Well there's your problem, right there!

:p

Mecca
10-13-2008, 10:41 PM
The Palin thing is good for a laugh, but McCain's rank at the Academy is no laughing matter, IMO.

5th from the cellar?

What is it with this country knowingly voting for people that didn't take their academics seriously, or are just flat-out dumbasses?

They like people who are "just like them" being smart means you are an "elitist"

Logical
10-13-2008, 10:42 PM

5th from the cellar?

What is it with this country knowingly voting for people that didn't take their academics seriously, or are just flat-out dumbasses?True, I think it says more about the electorate.

banyon
10-13-2008, 10:42 PM
Well there's your problem, right there!

:p

Mostly that was a :Poke: at patteeu. :D

Taco John
10-13-2008, 10:43 PM
Please tell me that she took it again and had a better score.

I hear if you take it enough times, they'll add a talent show portion of the test for you.

OnTheWarpath58
10-13-2008, 10:45 PM
I hear if you take it enough times, they'll add a talent show portion of the test for you.

ROFL

Frazod
10-13-2008, 10:45 PM

5th from the cellar?

Oh come on. Custer finished last in his class at West Point, and he turned out OK.

Oh wait..... :doh!:

bango
10-13-2008, 10:49 PM

ROFL

RJ
10-13-2008, 11:07 PM
They like people who are "just like them" being smart means you are an "elitist"

Personally, I would prefer that people considerably smarter than me hold the highest offices in the land.

Meaning no offense to me, of course, and if I have offended myself I truly apologize. In this PC world we live in I may have become overly sensitive to my own comments.

Guru
10-13-2008, 11:09 PM
Personally, I would prefer that people considerably smarter than me hold the highest offices in the land.

Meaning no offense to me, of course, and if I have offended myself I truly apologize. In this PC world we live in I may have become overly sensitive to my own comments.Sue yourself.

Mecca
10-13-2008, 11:10 PM

Meaning no offense to me, of course, and if I have offended myself I truly apologize. In this PC world we live in I may have become overly sensitive to my own comments.

Well I look at it that way to but alot of people don't.

RJ
10-13-2008, 11:11 PM
Sue yourself.

ROFL

Good one.

banyon
10-13-2008, 11:13 PM
Sue yourself.

:clap: Good 'Hamas' imitation. ROFL

Guru
10-14-2008, 03:58 AM
ROFL

Good one.

:clap: Good 'Hamas' imitation. ROFL

I love it when I can actually make people laugh in the politically charged forum.:)