PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Florida Dem Mahoney is a pimp

Bootlegged
10-14-2008, 05:46 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=5998929
(audio of the call)

Fla. congressman seeks probe after affair reports By BRIAN SKOLOFF, Associated Press Writer
Mon Oct 13, 7:20 PM ET

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - Democratic U.S. Rep. Tim Mahoney on Monday called for an ethics investigation of himself amid reports that he had an affair and then paid the woman to keep her quiet.

While not directly addressing whether the allegations were true, Mahoney said in a brief release he was confident he'd be vindicated. Minutes later on Monday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi also called for an investigation.

ABC News reported on its Web site Monday that Mahoney, a married congressman facing a Republican challenger in November's election, agreed to pay $121,000 in March to a former mistress and staffer after being threatened with a sexual harassment lawsuit.

The network, citing unnamed current and former Mahoney staff members, said the congressman began his affair with Patricia Allen, 50, in 2006 while he was campaigning for Congress, promising to return morals to Washington.

Mahoney won the race after former Republican U.S. Rep. Mark Foley resigned when it was revealed he sent lurid Internet messages to male teenage pages who had worked on Capitol Hill. Foley was cleared of criminal wrongdoing by state and federal authorities.

Telephone messages left by The Associated Press for Mahoney and his congressional and campaign staff members were not returned Monday.

A Mahoney spokesperson told ABC that Allen resigned willingly and "has not received any special payment from campaign funds."

Mahoney called for the ethics investigation in a statement released hours after the ABC report.

"While these allegations are based on hearsay, I believe that my constituents need a full accounting," Mahoney said. "As such, I have requested the House Ethics Committee to review these allegations. I am confident that when the facts are presented that I will be vindicated."

Added Pelosi in her own statement: "These charges must be immediately and thoroughly investigated."

In addition to the cash payment, ABC News reported that Mahoney promised Allen a $50,000 a year job for two years at the agency that handles his campaign advertising.

That company, Nashville, Tenn.-based Fletcher Rowley Chao Riddle Inc., resigned from Mahoney's campaign later Monday.

"Tim Mahoney apparently included our company in a secret legal settlement without the knowledge of our firm. Our firm did not agree to any legal settlement," CEO Bill Fletcher said in a release. "If these allegations are true, Tim Mahoney's actions are unacceptable and not in line with FRCR's business ethics."

Rep. Rahm Emanuel of Illinois, chair of the House Democratic Caucus, heard rumors about an affair in early 2007 and confronted Mahoney, a spokeswoman said Monday.

"Upon hearing a rumor, Congressman Emanuel confronted Congressman Mahoney, told him he was in public life and had a responsibility to act accordingly and appropriately, and urged him to do so," the spokeswoman said. "They had no further conversations on this topic."

Friends of Allen's told ABC News that she wanted to end the affair, but Mahoney threatened to fire her is she did so.

"You work at my pleasure," Mahoney told Allen on a January 20, 2008 recorded telephone call, a portion of which was provided to ABC.

"If you do the job that I think you should do, you get to keep your job. Whenever I don't feel like you're doing your job, then you lose your job," Mahoney can be heard telling Allen.

"You're fired," he continued. "Do you hear me?"

Allen then asks why she is being fired, indicating there is another reason than her apparent inability to do her job.

"There is no why else," Mahoney responded.

"You're firing me for other reasons," Allen said on the call. "You don't, you're not man enough to say it. So why don't you say it."

Mahoney never admits to any affair in the portion of the tape obtained by ABC.

Allen did not return a telephone message from AP on Monday.

Allen's friends told the network that as part of the settlement, she was required to sign a letter of resignation indicating she left amicably.

___

Associated Press reporter Jesse Holland contributed to this report from Washington.

Bootlegged
10-14-2008, 07:40 AM
Mahoney says he wants ethics investigation
By Aaron Blake
Posted: 10/13/08 04:59 PM [ET]

Rep. Tim Mahoney (D-Fla.) said Monday afternoon that he wants the House Ethics Committee to look into a report that he paid a former mistress more than $120,000 in hush money.

In a statement, Mahoney didn’t directly address the ABC News report, but said, “I am confident that when the facts are presented that I will be vindicated.”

ABC reported that Mahoney engaged in an affair with a former campaign and congressional staffer and then paid her off when she threatened to sue.

“I was notified this afternoon about a story that ran on ABC News’ website reporting allegations about a former employee,” Mahoney said. “While these allegations are based on hearsay, I believe that my constituents need a full accounting. As such, I have requested the House Ethics Committee to review these allegations."

Similarly, Rep. Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.) has asked the ethics committee to look into several controversies that have hampered him, including his apartment rentals, his use of congressional resources and his failure to disclose rental income to the Internal Revenue Service and Congress.

The House Ethics Committee has a new Office of Congressional Ethics (OCE), an independent body that screens all new complaints before they go to the full committee for consideration. Democrats who created the OCE barred it from making recommendations to the full ethics panel within 60 days of an election. It also has yet to meet or hire a staff, meaning action is highly unlikely before the election.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), who led the charge for the creation of OCE, issued a statement supporting Mahoney's request.

"I just learned today about the serious allegations concerning Congressman Tim Mahoney," Pelosi said. "These charges must be immediately and thoroughly investigated by the House Ethics Committee."

Mahoney is involved in one of the toughest reelection campaigns in the country, thanks to the conservative bent of his south-central Florida district.

His challenger, Republican Tom Rooney, will be holding a press conference with National Republican Congressional Committee Chairman Tom Cole (Okla.) at 9:15 a.m. EST on Tuesday morning.

When contacted by The Hill Monday afternoon, Rooney's campaign declined to comment.

bkkcoh
10-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Link (http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=5997043&page=1)

I thought Clinton's women were a little on the ugly side, but this I think out tops all of them

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Blotter/abc_mahoney_2a_081009_mn.jpg

West Palm Beach Congressman Tim Mahoney (D-FL), whose predecessor resigned in the wake of a sex scandal, agreed to a $121,000 payment to a former mistress who worked on his staff and was threatening to sue him, according to current and former members of his staff who have been briefed on the settlement, which involved Mahoney and his campaign committee.

Mahoney, who is married, also promised the woman, Patricia Allen, a $50,000 a year job for two years at the agency that handles his campaign advertising, the staffers said.

A Mahoney spokesperson would not answer questions about the alleged affair or the settlement, but said Allen resigned of her own accord and "has not received any special payment from campaign funds."

Senior Democratic leaders in the House of Representatives, including Rep. Rahm Emanuel (D-IL), the chair of the Democratic Caucus, have been working with Mahoney to keep the matter from hurting his re-election campaign, the Mahoney staffers said.

A spokesperson for Emanuel denies that account, but said Emanuel did confront Mahoney "upon hearing a rumor" about an affair in 2007 and "told him he was in public life and had a responsibility to act accordingly." The spokesperson added that it was a "private conversation" that had nothing to do with Mahoney's re-election prospects.

Emanuel's spokesperson said Emanual had not had any further contacts with Mahoney on the subject and did not know the woman involved worked on Mahoney's Congressional staff until informed by ABC News.

Mahoney was elected two years ago following the abrupt resignation of his disgraced predecessor, Republican Mark Foley, whose lewd internet messages to teenage boys and Congressional pages created a national outrage.

The affair between Mahoney and Allen began, according to the current and former staffers, in 2006 when Mahoney was campaigning for Congress against Foley, promising "a world that is safer, more moral."

Broken Campaign Promises?

At the time, Mahoney's campaign ads featured a picture of him with his wife, Terry, with the line, "Restoring America's Values Begins at Home."

The staffers say Mahoney first met Allen at a campaign stop and later arranged for her to work as a volunteer on the campaign. Allen also appeared in a Mahoney campaign television commercial, criticizing his opponent.

RJ
10-14-2008, 10:45 AM
An affair with a woman, huh?

bkkcoh
10-14-2008, 10:49 AM

Are you saying that is odd for a democrat?

Stinger
10-14-2008, 10:49 AM

We are still waiting for clarification on that :eek:

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Blotter/abc_mahoney_2a_081009_mn.jpg

bkkcoh
10-14-2008, 10:59 AM
http://images.google.com/url?q=http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/72379842.jpg%3Fv%3D1%26c%3DViewImages%26k%3D2%26d%3D17A4AD9FDB9CF193875DCB1DD8387ABBFAF7AAE208525FF4 A40A659CEC4C8CB6&usg=AFQjCNFkGbKmUk1-GLt7UycABv8lu8e53w

Wife doesn't really look a lot better.

dirk digler
10-14-2008, 11:02 AM
This guy is a POS and I hope he they remove him if the allegations are true