dirk digler
10-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Rock on

MaxFects
10-14-2008, 12:51 PM
wow

jAZ
10-14-2008, 12:51 PM
If nothing else, it's a great way to get free media at 10x return on the $, I'd bet.

dirk digler
10-14-2008, 12:53 PM

alpha_omega
10-14-2008, 01:02 PM
Vote early and vote often?

Saulbadguy
10-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Surely these are photoshopped...

HolmeZz
10-14-2008, 01:09 PM
Pretty awesome.

HolmeZz
10-14-2008, 01:09 PM

I know Obama's campaign is advertising in Burnout. The others might be fake though, I hadn't heard about those.

Taco John
10-14-2008, 01:16 PM

Why in the world would you think that?

Stinger
10-14-2008, 01:23 PM

Why in the world would you think that?

Well duh... like the Chiefs will have 55 total yards in offense before the first quarter is over surely you could have seen that discrepancy.

:D

LMAO I like this one

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=81986&stc=1&d=1224006576

dirk digler
10-14-2008, 01:26 PM

They are not photo shopped.

Obama is advertising in certain games

dirk digler
10-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Well duh... like the Chiefs will have 55 total yards in offense before the first quarter is over surely you could have seen that discrepancy.

:D

LMAO

Touche'

Pitt Gorilla
10-14-2008, 01:29 PM

:DYeah, nobody is buying that.

BigCatDaddy
10-14-2008, 01:30 PM
I expected to see Grand Theft Auto?

StcChief
10-14-2008, 01:30 PM
good for non-voters....

dirk digler
10-14-2008, 01:37 PM
good for non-voters....

I think it will have a negligible impact but there is alot of older people that play games and do vote

memyselfI
10-14-2008, 01:59 PM
Creepy. :eek:

dirk digler
10-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Creepy. :eek:

Why is it creepy?

I think it is pretty smart and savvy.

memyselfI
10-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Why is it creepy?

I think it is pretty smart and savvy.

It's commercialization and infiltration of a political persona into entertainment in a mind control sort of way. Of course, the 'reality tv' folks won't understand the difference but those of us who still value the differentiation between real and entertainment do.

That particular individual might be running our government soon. If we saw Castro or Kim Jong Il do this we'd find it disturbing because it is. I don't want my POTUS of to be my life if I choose to tune him out. NObama is making it impossible to do so. CREEPY.

sportsman1
10-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Hitler march is on. We have them pledging allegiance to Obama, we have them marching Obama, we have children attending Lesbian weddings during school (granted not Obama). How much further is it going to go? Now we have movement to Nationalize all world banks and create a world government. America is better than this. Do not let the few idiots play into it.

memyselfI
10-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Hitler march is on. We have them pledging allegiance to Obama, we have them marching Obama, we have children attending Lesbian weddings during school (granted not Obama). How much further is it going to go? Now we have movement to Nationalize all world banks and create a world government. America is better than this. Do not let the few idiots play into it.

I literally got goose bumps when I saw it. It's scary how many people are so willingly going along with being indoctrinated by this man.

This is the sort of stuff we used to read about in history class when studying the Soviet Union and how they controlled their people. It seems so innocent and innocuous at first and then next thing you know...

memyselfI
10-14-2008, 02:49 PM
I guess I know now which games to avoid buying and will bit torrent.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jvjv52elpZjLFePTcOXw_7YQ6pvAD93QF82G0

Video games feature ads for Obama's campaign

By DEVLIN BARRETT 18 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AP) Too busy playing video games to watch presidential ads on television? Barack Obama has found you, too, by becoming the first presidential candidate to buy ad space inside a game.

Nine video games from Electronic Arts Inc., ranging from the extremely popular "Madden 09" football game to the street racing "Burnout: Paradise," feature in-game ads from the Obama campaign. The ads they appear on billboards and other signage remind players that early voting has begun and plug a campaign Web site.

The idea of embedding advertising temporarily inside a video game is relatively new, having only begun about 18 months ago, and Obama is the first presidential candidate to buy space, company officials said.

The Democrat's ads are aimed at gamers who like sports, including NASCAR, NBA, NHL and skateboarding, meaning EA Sports' motto, "It's in the game," now applies to presidential politics as well.

EA spokeswoman Holly Rockwood would not say how much the ads cost, but she said they are running on the Xbox Live versions of the game through Nov. 3. They began earlier this month.

The timing of the Obama ads within the video game varies from state to state. Players in smaller states may see the Obama ads for the whole month, while users in bigger states may see them for a shorter period.

"It reaches an audience that is typically hard to reach young males, roughly 18 to 34," said Rockwood. "That's very appealing to our advertisers."

For those who still associate video games with clunky "Pac Man" or "Space Invaders" consoles, here's how in-game advertising works: The Xbox 360 console connects to the Internet, so it can be updated with new features, including ads. In the case of "Burnout," the game came out in stores in January, but the Obama ads were only inserted this month.

Rockwood declined to say how much revenue the company generates from selling ad space in its games.

"What we're trying to do is offer ads in games where we're simulating a real-world environment, so our racing games, our sports games lend themselves to that," she said.

sportsman1
10-14-2008, 02:50 PM
I can respect democrats in an ideological sense the way it used to be. Like the 92' election. Clinton had tangible ideas that were different from my own view but they still fell within realm of the American way. It was a somewhat open dialog between Bush, Perot, and Clinton. Now flash forward 15 years... the media has gotten to point where they control situations. We have far left extremists in the main stream instead of more Populist democrats, and on the republican side we have power hungry wusses that don't understand what the hell it even means to be an American. People have bought into American is bad, and believe that everything has to change. That apparently includes capitalism, and democratic elections.

dirk digler
10-14-2008, 02:53 PM
It's commercialization and infiltration of a political persona into entertainment in a mind control sort of way. Of course, the 'reality tv' folks won't understand the difference but those of us who still value the differentiation between real and entertainment do.

That particular individual might be running our government soon. If we saw Castro or Kim Jong Il do this we'd find it disturbing because it is. I don't want my POTUS of to be my life if I choose to tune him out. NObama is making it impossible to do so. CREEPY.

That is just silly. Video games companies have opened up their games for companies to advertise in because they need to make money. This has been going on for 2 years at least.

memyselfI
10-14-2008, 02:56 PM
That is just silly. Video games companies have opened up their games for companies to advertise in because they need to make money. This has been going on for 2 years at least.

You are missing the point, of course. This man may be the MOST POWERFUL MAN IN THE WORLD. The slippery slope of inserting his image and his message into every day ordinary things is one way that he will make his presence known. What is next?

Again, this starts off rather innocently. Simple advertising that most people do not have an objection to. But politically speaking, it's really very unsettling.

Guru
10-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Why in the world would you think that?Because no gamer wants in game advertising.

HolmeZz
10-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Somebody break out the tin-foil hats.

HolmeZz
10-14-2008, 03:00 PM
You are missing the point, of course. This man may be the MOST POWERFUL MAN IN THE WORLD. The slippery slope of inserting his image and his message into every day ordinary things is one way that he will make his presence known. What is next?

Again, this starts off rather innocently. Simple advertising that most people do not have an objection to. But politically speaking, it's really very unsettling.

What's the difference between seeing it in a video game and seeing the ad when you visit a webpage?

dirk digler
10-14-2008, 03:00 PM

Sorry I don't see that way. Just like the article you posted this is a way to reach a certain demographic that is "very appealing".

Also I would think once the election is over you won't see his ads in the games since they pull from the Internet.

I would imagine in 2012 this will be very common place. Obama was just the first one to take advantage of it.

dirk digler
10-14-2008, 03:01 PM
What's the difference between seeing it in a video game and seeing the ad when you visit a webpage?

yep. They both come from the same place...The INTRANET

Donger
10-14-2008, 03:07 PM
I can't wait to see Barack Hussein's image in the next episode of Dora The Explorer.

memyselfI
10-14-2008, 03:09 PM

Because I buy a video game not expecting to have political messages inserted into my psyche.

If I visit a website then I have a reasonable expectation that political advertising and messages will be there. The web is AD SUPPORTED while video games historically have not been.

And then, the whole political element is another layer of weirdness.

HolmeZz
10-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Because I buy a video game not expecting to have political messages inserted into my psyche.

If I visit a website then I have a reasonable expectation that political advertising and messages will be there.

Why do you expect it? Because it's become so commonplace?

Exactly, you friggin' dolt.

memyselfI
10-14-2008, 03:12 PM
I can't wait to see Barack Hussein's image in the next episode of Dora The Explorer.

Oh, I bet this is just the first of many interesting and invasive messages we will be seeing against our will.

memyselfI
10-14-2008, 03:12 PM
Why do you expect it? Because it's become so commonplace?

Exactly, you friggin' dolt.

Not for politicians. NObama is the first. Hopefully the only and the last.

RedDread
10-14-2008, 03:14 PM
I'm just amazed that you claim to buy video games.

HolmeZz
10-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Not for politicians. NObama is the first. Hopefully the only and the last.

The first doesn't make it wrong, stupid ass. The same argument you're making could've been made when politicians started advertising on the internet, which you're stating is okay.

"HEY, THIS IS THE INTERNET. WHY AM I BEING BOMBARDED WITH POLITICAL MESSAGES?!? ARGHHHHH"

Thig Lyfe
10-14-2008, 03:15 PM
You people crack me up.

If McCain did this, you all would praise him for reaching out to young voters.

memyselfI
10-14-2008, 03:17 PM
You people crack me up.

If McCain did this, you all would praise him for reaching out to young voters.

I wouldn't. I would find it equally offensive. Perhaps even moreso because they preach limiting government in our lives.

Pitt Gorilla
10-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Oh, I bet this is just the first of many interesting and invasive messages we will be seeing against our will.Against your will? You're going to have to explain that one. Who is forcing you to play Transformers the Game or whatever?

(BTW, you might want to skip the evening news or television all together, you know, due to political news and advertisements.)

It is funny; people are complaining that Obama's campaign is engaging in capitalism.

memyselfI
10-14-2008, 03:19 PM
I'm just amazed that you claim to buy video games.

I have teenage sons.

HolmeZz
10-14-2008, 03:19 PM
DAMN ALL THOSE BILLBOARDS ON THE HIGHWAY, INTERVENING IN MY LIFE AND PENETRATING MY PSYCHE

arrrrrrrrrrghhhhhh

Ultra Peanut
10-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Must play Skate. Now.

Apparently, Massive (the ad guys who work with EA) approached both campaigns. Obama was like, "I'm rich, beeyotch," and threw some cash their way. Awesome.

This is no more offensive than seeing ads for It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia in Mercenaries 2.

memyselfI
10-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Against your will? You're going to have to explain that one. Who is forcing you to play Transformers the Game or whatever?

(BTW, you might want to skip the evening news or television all together, you know, due to political news and advertisements.)

It is funny; people are complaining that Obama's campaign is engaging in capitalism.

I have the same complaints about the advertisements inserted at the movie theater. There is no sacred place left. But to my knowledge, no candidate is advertising there yet. I guess that might be next. :shake::cuss:

memyselfI
10-14-2008, 03:21 PM
You guys defending this would be screaming crying bitches if McCain had done this first.

Ultra Peanut
10-14-2008, 03:23 PM
You guys defending this would be screaming crying bitches if McCain had done this first.BAWWWWWWW! I'm a big stinky butthurt racist and my kids may see ads for a political candidate for whom I harbor an intensely irrational hatred instead of ads for Taco Bell! BAWWWWWWW!

HolmeZz
10-14-2008, 03:25 PM
You guys defending this would be screaming crying bitches if McCain had done this first.

I sincerely doubt anyone here would be whining about McCain doing it. A few would probably mock McCain for what was perceived as an attempt to reach out to the youth vote, but nobody would give enough of a shit to whine about something like this. Well, except you apparently.

Conversely, we'd likely be seeing you applaud this if it had been done by McCain.

dirk digler
10-14-2008, 03:26 PM

If I visit a website then I have a reasonable expectation that political advertising and messages will be there. The web is AD SUPPORTED while video games historically have not been.

And then, the whole political element is another layer of weirdness.

EA started this 2 years ago. They are trying to generate some additional revenue

Alot of players including myself didn't like it at the beginning but now I hardly notice them

Saulbadguy
10-14-2008, 03:27 PM
Because no gamer wants in game advertising.

Yep. I think it's stupid. I don't care if its for political advertisements, or soft drink advertisements, i'm already paying $60 for the damned game, I don't want ads in them.

Ultra Peanut
Carneeeeee Asaaaaaada!!

I'm pretty much not in favor of them, but honestly, I would rather see real ads on things like dasher boards in NHL and sideboards in FIFA than "EA SPORTS EASPORTS EASPORTS BITCHEZZZZ."

memyselfI
BAWWWWWWW! I'm a big stinky butthurt racist and my kids may see ads for a political candidate for whom I harbor an intensely irrational hatred instead of ads for Taco Bell! BAWWWWWWW!

Says the hate filled tranny.

memyselfI
10-14-2008, 03:28 PM
EA started this 2 years ago. They are trying to generate some additional revenue

Alot of players including myself didn't like it at the beginning but now I hardly notice them

The ads are one issue. The introduction of a politician into ads is another.

HolmeZz
10-14-2008, 03:29 PM

Spoken like a true open-minded liberal?

Ultra Peanut
10-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Says the hate filled tranny.I'm so hateful! I'm such a tranny*! I'm so buuuurned.

*This is a negative, as evidenced by the use of said terminology, because memyselfi is a sad, pathetic bigot.

The ads are one issue. The introduction of a politician into ads is another.How is advertising for an election less acceptable than advertising the release date of a DVD? Both McCain and Obama were approached by Massive. It's not Barry's fault that people actually like him and he has a huge fundraising advantage as a result.

memyselfI
10-14-2008, 03:30 PM
I'm so hateful! I'm such a tranny! I'm so buuuurned.

You are something that is for sure. What, only you know for sure, I guess. ROFL

memyselfI
10-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Spoken like a true open-minded liberal?

Hey, those words will would never be spoken to or about someone who is not dolling out hateful crap.

Ultra Peanut
10-14-2008, 03:33 PM
Hey, those words will would never be spoken to or about someone who is not dolling out hateful crap.Yeah, your ire is reserved for trannies who disagree with you and thoughtful, intelligent politicians who have the audacity of running for president.

Or, you know, anyone who could get you some attention.

memyselfI
10-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Yeah, your ire is reserved for trannies who disagree with you and thoughtful, intelligent politicians who have the audacity of running for president.

Doll, you started this, not I. My disdain was never about you but about the person you support. You made it personal. You reap what you sow. I'm not having this sort of negative personal interaction with every NObama supporter on the board. Only you and one other.

You need to learn how to cat fight.

Ultra Peanut
10-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Doll, you started this, not I. My disdain was never about you but about the person you support. You made it personal. You reap what you sow.

You need to learn how to cat fight.I'M BLEEEEEDING

Hellllllllp, I'm bleeeeding!

dirk digler
10-14-2008, 03:37 PM

Wow that wasn't very nice Denise

memyselfI
10-14-2008, 03:37 PM
I'M BLEEEEEDING

Hellllllllp, I'm bleeeeding!

Well, that is part of the whole woman thing. Stop bitching. ROFL

dirk digler
10-14-2008, 03:38 PM

Blame the game manufacturer then. They are the ones that approached both candidates and Obama has a ton of cash and McCain is broke.

memyselfI
10-14-2008, 03:38 PM
Wow that wasn't very nice Denise

Oh, and what UP said FIRST (#49) was. Give me a fuggin break.

Originally Posted by Ultra Peanut
BAWWWWWWW! I'm a big stinky butthurt racist and my kids may see ads for a political candidate for whom I harbor an intensely irrational hatred instead of ads for Taco Bell! BAWWWWWWW!

triple
10-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Blame the game manufacturer then. They are the ones that approached both candidates and Obama has a ton of cash and McCain is broke.

mccain doesn't have the overseas fundraising network that obama does.

he also didn't make a promise to take matching funds and then make himself into a liar, that might be part of it.

Saulbadguy
10-14-2008, 03:40 PM

No, not really. It's the same issue IMO.

Thig Lyfe
10-14-2008, 03:40 PM

Exactly.

memyselfI
10-14-2008, 03:41 PM

McCain did the right thing for whatever reason he passed. I don't want to see his mug on entertainment anymore than I want to see NObamas.

Ultra Peanut
10-14-2008, 03:41 PM
mccain doesn't have the overseas fundraising network that obama does.Baseless lies are fun!

he also didn't make a promise to take matching funds and then make himself into a liar, that might be part of it. First you guys whined about him not taking matching funds.

And then you guys gloated because Obama didn't get an automatic infusion of $84 million from the matching funds.

And now you're back to whining because your candidate is horrible.

I love you guys.

memyselfI
10-14-2008, 03:42 PM
No, not really. It's the same issue IMO.

No, I don't have a problem with a corporation or a service doing this. Unfortunately due to product placement we've been exposed to this for awhile now.

But when you are talking a political person or party then I think it's creepy indoctrination and a VERY slippery slope.

dirk digler
10-14-2008, 03:43 PM
Oh, and what UP said FIRST (#49) was. Give me a fuggin break.

Fair enough you 2 need to get a room and work it out together

Logical
10-14-2008, 03:44 PM

Again, this starts off rather innocently. Simple advertising that most people do not have an objection to. But politically speaking, it's really very unsettling.Oh noes, next thing ya know he will be advertisin at the Pitcher Shows like Coke or Chevy. oh noes.

dirk digler
10-14-2008, 03:44 PM
mccain doesn't have the overseas fundraising network that obama does.

he also didn't make a promise to take matching funds and then make himself into a liar, that might be part of it.

:rolleyes:

Obama learned from Kerry who admitted after the election he should have foregone the matching funds.

McCain was stupid for not doing the same.

memyselfI
10-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Fair enough you 2 need to get a room and work it out together

No thanks. I just wanted to nip that UP as 'poor lil victim' act in the bud and remind you what lead to the exchange.

dirk digler
10-14-2008, 03:46 PM
McCain did the right thing for whatever reason he passed. I don't want to see his mug on entertainment anymore than I want to see NObamas.

The reason why he didn't do it is because he is broke having to defend Indiana, West Virginia, North Dakota, and Montana...LMAO

memyselfI
10-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Oh noes, next thing ya know he will be advertisin at the Pitcher Shows like Coke or Chevy. oh noes.

Is this really what we want? Our politicans, our possible POTUS to be advertised like Madison Ave products? To be simply a commodity for sale? To become part of our lives like Coke or Chevy?

Seriously, this is what we want??? :spock:

I thought the Obama middle name change movement was weird, then I thought the Obama tatoos phenomenon was weird, then I thought the Obama purses and lounge wear on the catwalk was weird...

I guess I underestimated the American people's appetite for marketing consumption and the cult of personality.

Ultra Peanut
10-14-2008, 03:48 PM
No thanks. I just wanted to nip that UP as 'poor lil victim' act in the bud and remind you what lead to the exchange.look at me

look how hard i'm playing that victim card

p.s. you're dumb

memyselfI
10-14-2008, 03:52 PM
look at me

look how hard i'm playing that victim card

p.s. you're dumb

Uh, no. I've fought nastier and bitchier folks on this board than you in my ten plus years on these boards. I just haven't had the same verbiage in response.

:spock: :doh!:

PS. You are boring me now. I'm done with this exchange cuz it can go nowhere good for the board.

Logical
10-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Is this really what we want? Our politicans, our possible POTUS to be advertised like Madison Ave products? To be simply a commodity for sale? To become part of our lives like Coke or Chevy?

I thought the Obama middle name change movement was weird, then I thought the Obama tatoos phenomenon was weird, then I thought the Obama purses and lounge wear on the catwalk was weird...

I guess I underestimated the American people's appetite for marketing consumption and the cult of personality.You were probably too young to remember John and Jackie Kennedy, this is nothing new for a politician, it just does not happen all that often.

Ultra Peanut
10-14-2008, 03:54 PM
The McCain campaign made a brief appearance in NHL 09, but the virtual Sarah Palin was booed mercilessly.

cribbed from Deadspin

Uh, no. I've fought nastier and bitchier folks on this board than you in my ten plus years on these boards. I just haven't had the same verbiage in response.

:spock: :doh!:

PS. You are boring me now. I'm done with this exchange cuz it can go nowhere good for the board.Sure you are.

Pablo
10-14-2008, 03:58 PM
The only game McCain could have an ad in is:

Nursing Home Diaper Change 2009.

The illest sh*t to ever his the streets..or the bedpan, son!

RedDread
10-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Here's some other potential Obama ads in games (http://www.collegeotr.com/college_otr/eight_other_video_games_obama_should_be_advertising_in_13109)

Taco John
10-14-2008, 04:06 PM
I guess I underestimated the American people's appetite for marketing consumption and the cult of personality.

Are you new to America or something?

J Diddy
10-14-2008, 04:08 PM
The only game McCain could have an ad in is:

Nursing Home Diaper Change 2009.

The illest sh*t to ever his the streets..or the bedpan, son!

LOL

Diaper Dash

Rooster
10-14-2008, 04:09 PM
It is very creepy in a 1983 sort of way.

Pitt Gorilla
10-14-2008, 04:13 PM

I guess I underestimated the American people's appetite for marketing consumption and the cult of personality.Whether or not we want it is immaterial. It's there and it's been there for a long time. I can't believe you've missed all of the political commercials to this point.

Ultra Peanut
10-14-2008, 04:14 PM
Whether or not we want it is immaterial. It's there and it's been there for a long time. I can't believe you've missed all of the political commercials to this point.Hey, I use TV to ESCAPE from politics! Why are these politicians interruptin' my According to Jim?

DaFace
10-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Huh. Smart move, especially considering the younger generations' preference for Obama. Whether they'll actually get off the couch and vote, though, remains to be seen.

And it's just an advertisement. I don't see anything creepy about it in the least, unless you consider all forms of advertisement creepy I guess.

Taco John
10-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Yeah, I'm missing the whole part where this is creepy, or at all untowards...

But then, the fat kids line dancing and kids singing didn't make me think about killing Jews, so I'm clearly in the minority here.

Pablo
10-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Huh. Smart move, especially considering the younger generations' preference for Obama. Whether they'll actually get off the couch and vote, though, remains to be seen.

And it's just an advertisement. I don't see anything creepy about it in the least, unless you consider all forms of advertisement creepy I guess.It's creepy cuz that gun-stealin' Muslim is trying to be President.

It's too bad X-Box doesn't have any really sweet Solitaire or Bridge games, McCain adds would totally own those mothaf*ckas.

Pablo
10-14-2008, 04:25 PM
But then, the fat kids line dancing and kids singing didn't make me think about killing Jews, so I'm clearly in the minority here.Then you aren't thinkin' hard enough fella. That damn Arab Muslim terrorist's waving his oil fingers right under your nose and you can't smell the stink?

memyselfI
10-14-2008, 04:26 PM
It is very creepy in a 1983 sort of way.

You mean in a Minitrue sort of way? :doh!:

jidar
10-14-2008, 04:30 PM
What the hell is with the retardation in this thread?

This advertising in video games debate has been going on for years. Obama just came along with tons of extra money so is buying up ad space wherever it is available, he's not going into EA and saying 'HEY PUT MY FACE IN YOUR GAME PLZ!'
His face is there because the space was already for sale and is being actively marketed to anyone who is trying to advertise. 6 months ago those same spaces were filled with advertisements for the new Harold and Kumar movie.

Leave it up to the great fact checkers around here to turn this into something Orwellian. Fucking fruit cakes.

Pablo
10-14-2008, 04:33 PM

This advertising in video games debate has been going on for years. Obama just came along with tons of extra money so is buying up ad space wherever it is available, he's not going into EA and saying 'HEY PUT MY FACE IN YOUR GAME PLZ!'
His face is there because the space was already for sale and is being actively marketed to anyone who is trying to advertise. 6 months ago those same spaces were filled with advertisements for the new Harold and Kumar movie.

Leave it up to the great fact checkers around here to turn this into something Orwellian. ****ing fruit cakes.You just ain't skeered enough yet, feller.

Ain't you never heard fear is the heart of love? Osama bin Obama's gonna make us all look at his face while we play vidja-games. The audacity!

dirk digler
10-14-2008, 05:05 PM

And it's just an advertisement. I don't see anything creepy about it in the least, unless you consider all forms of advertisement creepy I guess.

Excellent post DaFace. You should spend more time in here we need people who are rational thinkers.

dirk digler
10-14-2008, 05:05 PM
It's creepy cuz that gun-stealin' Muslim is trying to be President.

It's too bad X-Box doesn't have any really sweet Solitaire or Bridge games, McCain adds would totally own those mothaf*ckas.

LMAO

LMAO

dirk digler
10-14-2008, 05:06 PM

Leave it up to the great fact checkers around here to turn this into something Orwellian. ****ing fruit cakes.

Yep. If McCain would have done it Denise would be on here praising how smart he is.

memyselfI
10-14-2008, 05:11 PM
Yep. If McCain would have done it Denise would be on here praising how smart he is.

I guess you missed my previous post where I said I would find it worse because CONS are always complaining about government in people's lives. :rolleyes:

Cannibal
10-14-2008, 05:11 PM
I guess you missed my previous post where I said I would find it worse because CONS are always complaining about government in people's lives. :rolleyes:

They don't believe you.

Pablo
10-14-2008, 05:12 PM
I have teenage sons.Oh f*ck...

You bred?

memyselfI
10-14-2008, 05:12 PM
They don't believe you.

Too bad. I think it would be hypocritical for CONS to do it. I think it's intrusive by either.

memyselfI
10-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Oh f*ck...

You bred?

I am blessed with three beautiful kids who are amazing, thank you.

dirk digler
10-14-2008, 05:14 PM

Cannibal is right...I don't believe you

I have yet to see you post anything negative at all about McCain it has been all Obama bashing. Why is that?

Donger
10-14-2008, 05:14 PM

I have yet to see you post anything negative at all about McCain it has been all Obama bashing. Why is that?

Are you 30+ years old, Dirk?

memyselfI
10-14-2008, 05:16 PM

Don't believe me. I don't care. I've blasted the CONS for over a decade on this board and elsewhere. I've said things critical of McCain. I don't like him and am not voting for either of the two clowns.

DaFace
10-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Too bad. I think it would be hypocritical for CONS to do it. I think it's intrusive by either.

I guess I'm still confused. Are you against television and radio advertisements for candidates as well? And what about billboards? If so, then I don't blame you for thinking this is creepy. Otherwise, I'm perplexed about where you see there being a difference.

dirk digler
10-14-2008, 05:20 PM
Are you 30+ years old, Dirk?

Yes why?

J Diddy
10-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Yes why?

because according to most on this board unless you're over the age of 30 you don't get to have an opinion

memyselfI
10-14-2008, 05:21 PM
I guess I'm still confused. Are you against television and radio advertisements for candidates as well? And what about billboards? If so, then I don't blame you for thinking this is creepy. Otherwise, I'm perplexed about where you see there being a difference.

No, I'm not against those because they are public airwaves and space and are to be expected. But when you purchase a video game for private use then you have the reasonable expectation that the game will not be trying to deliver political indoctrination subliminal or otherwise.

I think this would be less creepy if the ads were not within the actual video game and instead were 'sponsor' types of ads like you see in the movies or on PBS. But to have them embedded within the game is just surreal.

Not to mention, does this violate campaign advertising laws by bypassing the disclaimer that must be added to other types of media ads?

dirk digler
10-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Don't believe me. I don't care. I've blasted the CONS for over a decade on this board and elsewhere. I've said things critical of McCain. I don't like him and am not voting for either of the two clowns.

It just seems to me you go out of your way to bash Obama but stay fairly quiet when it comes to McCain.

I know you have been hard on the CONS but I am just curious why the over the top hate you have for Obama.

J Diddy
10-14-2008, 05:22 PM
No, I'm not against those because they are public airwaves and space and are to be expected. But when you purchase a video game then you have the reasonable expectation that the game will not be trying to deliver political messages subliminal or otherwise.

I think this would be less creepy if the ads were not within the actual video game and instead were 'sponsor' types of ads like you see in the movies or on PBS. But to have them embedded within the game is just surreal.

Not to mention, does this violate campaign advertising laws by bypassing the disclaimer that must be added on other types of media ads?

I don't see any campaigning at all. I see a sign that says early voting has begun. Message brought to you by Obama.

memyselfI
10-14-2008, 05:24 PM
I don't see any campaigning at all. I see a sign that says early voting has begun. Message brought to you by Obama.

Ok. ROFL

Pablo
10-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Is this only online..or will these ads pop up in the game offline?

memyselfI
10-14-2008, 05:26 PM
It just seems to me you go out of your way to bash Obama but stay fairly quiet when it comes to McCain.

I know you have been hard on the CONS but I am just curious why the over the top hate you have for Obama.

McCain isn't getting the orgasmic media and free pass that NObama has had. I bash NObama because I believe he's going to destroy the Democratic Party and in doing so is going to hurt the country.

DaFace
10-14-2008, 05:27 PM
No, I'm not against those because they are public airwaves and space and are to be expected. But when you purchase a video game then you have the reasonable expectation that the game will not be trying to deliver political messages subliminal or otherwise.

Not to mention, does this violate campaign advertising laws by bypassing the disclaimer that must be added on other types of media ads?

I guess the place where our perspectives differ is that the point of many modern video games is to create a virtual world that reflects our own. When you go down the street, you expect to see billboards. When you watch football on TV, you expect to see sponsors all over the place. When you go to a bar or concert venue, you expect to see posters on the wall advertising one thing or another. When you go to a basketball game, you expect to see advertisements in front of the judges' table. I'm not saying that I want to see ads in video games by any means, but I certainly can't blame the game makers for doing it. And I don't get "creeped out" when I see it, regardless of the message.

But that's just me.

J Diddy
Ok. ROFL

So telling people to vote is political. I guess if it suits your political needs.

sportsman1
I think thats the part that makes it creepy. "Early Voting has begun.. it is time to thy bidding".

dirk digler
10-14-2008, 05:28 PM
No, I'm not against those because they are public airwaves and space and are to be expected. But when you purchase a video game for private use then you have the reasonable expectation that the game will not be trying to deliver political indoctrination subliminal or otherwise.

Not to mention, does this violate campaign advertising laws by bypassing the disclaimer that must be added to other types of media ads?

This isn't any different than web ads. They pull from the Internet and always change they aren't built into the game so a year from now these same ads won't be there saying early voting has started

Thig Lyfe
10-14-2008, 05:28 PM
"Early Voting has begun.. it is time to thy bidding".
Uh... what?

DaFace
10-14-2008, 05:29 PM
I think thats the part that makes it creepy. "Early Voting has begun.. it is time to thy bidding".

I'll admit that the billboard with his face on there is a little odd in that respect. The ones with just text don't bother me at all, though.

dirk digler
Is this only online..or will these ads pop up in the game offline?

online only. They pull from the Internet and change on a regular basis

EA spokeswoman Holly Rockwood would not say how much the ads cost, but she said they are running on the Xbox Live versions of the game through Nov. 3. They began earlier this month.

Thig Lyfe
McCain isn't getting the orgasmic media and free pass that NObama has had. I bash NObama because I believe he's going to destroy the Democratic Party and in doing so is going to hurt the country.

Or it's because you're a bitter racist.

dirk digler
10-14-2008, 05:30 PM

Why do you care if he is going to destroy the Dem party since you no longer are part of it?

J Diddy
10-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Why do you care if he is going to destroy the Dem party since you no longer are part of it?

She's out for world domination.

Pablo
10-14-2008, 05:32 PM
online only. They pull from the Internet and change on a regular basisHaha. Really..that's great.

Don't buy XBL if you don't like advertising then folks. If that's the case then it isn't like you paid $60 for a game and they're ruining it. You have to pay for an internet subscription of sorts and they're advertising. And every game I've ever owned said the gaming experience may change while online.

Play Madden at home by yourself if you don't want the big bad Baracky Man to get you.

Taco John
10-14-2008, 05:34 PM

I work in marketing, so the idea that any of this should be suprising or creepy is a wierd notion to me, especially when I consider the country that I live in. But I didn't think that the idea that video game marketers would try and package their games to include residual income would come as a suprise to anyone in the day and age of the captive audience.

This is not only not strange, but it's wholly unremarkable. What is remarkable to me is the fact that anybody is just noticing that this sort of thing is happening, but has lived in America for the last twenty years. But something tells me that this phenomenon is not genuine. I'm guessing that this has nothing to do with the fact that there might be a Mountain Dew ad there, and more to do with the fact that Dense doesn't like Obama...

Guru
10-14-2008, 05:35 PM
Yep. I think it's stupid. I don't care if its for political advertisements, or soft drink advertisements, i'm already paying $60 for the damned game, I don't want ads in them.My point exactly. We already drop up to 60 bucks for the damn thing. There should not be ads in it too.

One of my biggest bitches about Xbox Live. 50 bucks a year to get bombarded with ads.

Donger
10-14-2008, 05:35 PM
Yes why?

Just curious.

Donger
10-14-2008, 05:36 PM
because according to most on this board unless you're over the age of 30 you don't get to have an opinion

Not true.

Logical
10-14-2008, 05:37 PM

Not to mention, does this violate campaign advertising laws by bypassing the disclaimer that must be added to other types of media ads?You really are not paying attention, the ads got added over the Internet, recently in fact. They were not the ads that came with the games. I believe the Internet is just another form of public airwaves.

Demonpenz
10-14-2008, 05:41 PM
he is missing in nascar 2009 for some reason

Guru
10-14-2008, 05:41 PM

I kind of view it as an endorsment of a game in a way as well. Hope he stays away from Grand Theft Auto.

dirk digler
10-14-2008, 05:46 PM
Just curious.

Why?

dirk digler
10-14-2008, 05:48 PM
My point exactly. We already drop up to 60 bucks for the damn thing. There should not be ads in it too.

One of my biggest bitches about Xbox Live. 50 bucks a year to get bombarded with ads.

I don't have an Xbox but yeah I could understand why that would suck but that is not Obama's fault

Guru
10-14-2008, 05:54 PM
I don't have an Xbox but yeah I could understand why that would suck but that is not Obama's fault

I'm referring to all ads. Not just Obama's.

dirk digler
10-14-2008, 05:55 PM
I'm referring to all ads. Not just Obama's.

I know and I totally understand where you are coming from. It would get annoying

DaFace
10-14-2008, 05:59 PM
I kind of view it as an endorsment of a game in a way as well. Hope he stays away from Grand Theft Auto.

Yeah, I could see that. If they're smart, they will have been careful with what games they pick.

Guru
10-14-2008, 10:55 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2008/10/burnout-obama.jpg

Mecca
10-14-2008, 11:29 PM
John McCain could put his in a flight simulator game.....it could pop up when you crash.