PDA

View Full Version : Elections The Young Vote will show, IMO

Pitt Gorilla
10-14-2008, 01:28 PM
At our University, the county election board is making it possible and convenient for residents of the county to vote early via absentee ballots at the University. Students have been lining up to take advantage of the opportunity. I would assume that other counties with Universities are doing the same.

I think it's a great idea, but I'm sure some will want to shut it down. For now, it appears to be working to attract the college vote.

ROYC75
10-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Obama has targeted the young vote.

triple
10-14-2008, 01:42 PM
this is said every election cycle, so who knows.

***SPRAYER
10-14-2008, 01:44 PM
Well, if B.O. wins then I hope it is because of the young. They should suffer the longest.

Calcountry
10-14-2008, 01:47 PM
Well, if B.O. wins then I hope it is because of the young. They should suffer the longest.ROFL

Do you really think they will be able to earn enough to pay for all the giveaways from Santa Hussein?

irishjayhawk
Obama has targeted the young vote.

:spock:

McCain is only going for the old vote?

irishjayhawk
Well, if B.O. wins then I hope it is because of the young. They should suffer the longest.

Whereas the retarded bailout plan after plan after plan aren't going to impact the young demographic as is?

***SPRAYER
10-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Whereas the retarded bailout plan after plan after plan aren't going to impact the young demographic as is?

B.O. is going to fu*k this country up.

ROFL

Mr. Laz
10-14-2008, 01:50 PM
like all of us suffering from you dumbass people voting for Bush?

twice!!!! :spock:

you guys should be kicked in the groin repeatedly by a guy wearing snow shoes.

irishjayhawk
10-14-2008, 01:50 PM

ROFL

Dude the young demographic was screwed the minute we went to war in Iraq. Worse even, was the bailout plan.

I'm not sure it could get much worse.

Hell, I'm still mad at being stuck paying Social Security and medicare. F that.

***SPRAYER
10-14-2008, 01:51 PM
like all of us suffering from you dumbass people voting for Bush?

twice!!!! :spock:

you guys should be kicked in the groin repeatedly by a guy wearing snow shoes.

Can't argue with your logic. :spock:

Mr. Laz
10-14-2008, 01:53 PM

ROFL
too late .......

Bush been there, done that

ROYC75
10-14-2008, 01:54 PM

Hey young grasshopper, don't knock wisdom and knowledge . :D

irishjayhawk
10-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Hey young grasshopper, don't knock wisdom and knowledge . :D

I'm still left wondering the relevance of that post.

HolmeZz
this is said every election cycle, so who knows.

They already showed up during the primaries.

StcChief
All it takes is a large all day rain event.... so much for that vote.

***SPRAYER
10-14-2008, 02:00 PM
too late .......

Wait and see.

Alton deFlat
10-14-2008, 02:03 PM
At our University, the county election board is making it possible and convenient for residents of the county to vote early via absentee ballots at the University. Students have been lining up to take advantage of the opportunity. I would assume that other counties with Universities are doing the same.

I think it's a great idea, but I'm sure some will want to shut it down. For now, it appears to be working to attract the college vote.

Yep, same here. They sent out a campus-wide email today urging everyone to register... if they haven't already, and reminding them about the satellite advance voting next Monday.

Thig Lyfe
10-14-2008, 03:12 PM
too late .......

Yep.

ROYC75
10-14-2008, 03:35 PM
I'm still left wondering the relevance of that post.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Doesn't surprise me at all ...........

Pablo
10-14-2008, 03:46 PM
All it takes is a large all day rain event.... so much for that vote.I'd be pretty amazed if there were a large all day rain event in each of the 50 states.

You'd have to have some serious rain issues on the West coast, East coast, North..etc. But I guess if it's nice and sunny in KS, SD, ND, WY, WV, etc. McCain will win in a landslide.

I'm sure the old bastards that can't even see 10 feet in the rain will be rushing to drive to the voting booths to vote for the most liberal Republican candidate ever.

Cannibal
10-14-2008, 04:53 PM

ROFL

Yeah, because Bush did such a TREMENDOUS job! You fuckin moron. God you're stupid.

irishjayhawk
10-14-2008, 06:38 PM
ROFL ROFL ROFL

Doesn't surprise me at all ...........

Do tell.

Guru
10-14-2008, 06:43 PM

As long as they are voting informed than cool. Glad to see them out voting.

MahiMike
10-14-2008, 08:35 PM

and the dead.

KCJohnny
10-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Young people have a poor record of voting. They create all kind of anticipation with MTV's Rock the Vote and other such attempts of the big media Left to recruit for liberal causes, but on election day they find their excuses and stay away in droves. Now with BHO already 'measuring the drapes' in the Oval Office and the Dems proclaiming a landslide, I would seriously doubt any significant voter turnout from those under 25.

HolmeZz
10-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Young people have a poor record of voting. They create all kind of anticipation with MTV's Rock the Vote...

lol @ rock the vote. You need to get with the times, gramps. Hearing you rant about the MTV generation shows you to be hilariously out of touch. This isn't 1994.

I would seriously doubt any significant voter turnout from those under 25.

Except they already completely shattered turnout records during the primary season by leaps and bounds.

irishjayhawk
10-14-2008, 09:27 PM
lol @ rock the vote. You need to get with the times, gramps. Hearing you rant about the MTV generation shows you to be hilariously out of touch. This isn't 1994.

Except they already completely shattered turnout records during the primary season by leaps and bounds.

I don't know that I buy that. My age group still seems sucked in by MTV. I'm not. I avoid it like the plague. But it's there.

Pitt Gorilla
10-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Young people have a poor record of voting. They create all kind of anticipation with MTV's Rock the Vote and other such attempts of the big media Left to recruit for liberal causes, but on election day they find their excuses and stay away in droves. Now with BHO already 'measuring the drapes' in the Oval Office and the Dems proclaiming a landslide, I would seriously doubt any significant voter turnout from those under 25.That was the point of my thread; they are voting NOW. Students were lined up most of the day to vote. I imagine that is happening at colleges across the country. They won't have to worry about voting on election day.

kcfanintitanhell
10-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Young people have a poor record of voting. They create all kind of anticipation with MTV's Rock the Vote and other such attempts of the big media Left to recruit for liberal causes, but on election day they find their excuses and stay away in droves. Now with BHO already 'measuring the drapes' in the Oval Office and the Dems proclaiming a landslide, I would seriously doubt any significant voter turnout from those under 25.

I should have brought this up earlier, but I'm very curious. For someone that's busy defending our country, you seem to be able to spend an inordinate amount of time on this message board. Could you enlighten us on how you're able to do this?

Iowanian
10-14-2008, 09:41 PM
I don't understand why people can't...you know...take some responsibility and go to the polls on Nov 4 like they're supposed to.

Adept Havelock
10-14-2008, 09:41 PM
I should have brought this up earlier, but I'm very curious. For someone that's busy defending our country, you seem to be able to spend an inordinate amount of time on this message board. Could you enlighten us on how you're able to do this?

If I'm not mistaken, he's currently engaged in defending South Korea. ;)

It's a small country. It probably doesn't take too long. :p

Preemptive Addendum: I have nothing but respect for the Uniform that KCJohnny wears. I simply have no respect for the man wearing it.

I don't understand why people can't...you know...take some responsibility and go to the polls on Nov 4 like they're supposed to.

What difference does it make? How is it any different from an absentee voter who might vote weeks ahead of Nov. 4th? As long as the votes are vetted and deemed legal (and I have no reason to believe they are not) I don't see a problem with it.

HolmeZz
10-14-2008, 09:46 PM
I don't know that I buy that. My age group still seems sucked in by MTV. I'm not. I avoid it like the plague. But it's there.

I wasn't saying MTV doesn't exist. I'm saying it's one of the lowest rungs of entertainment on television and is a million times less influentional than it used to be. It has devolved into a punchline. It's not the demographic Obama is relying on to put him over the top. I'd say he's banking on a bit more sophisticated college-aged voter(fully aware that Obama, McCain, and others did a mini MTV thing during the primaries).

Iowanian
10-14-2008, 09:46 PM
For those who think there could be potential corruption in elections....absentee voting and early voting kick open that cracked door.

I'm a personal accountability and responsibility guy. It drives me nuts that people won't make their own effort to vote, without others coming to their house, begging them to register, begging them to vote etc...

In other countries, people walk miles, wait in lines for hours and risk shootings and car bombs to vote. Too many of our people expect a limo ride and free ring dings.

irishjayhawk
10-14-2008, 09:49 PM
I wasn't saying MTV doesn't exist. I'm saying it's one of the lowest rungs of entertainment on television and is a million times less influentional than it used to be. It has devolved into a punchline. It's not the demographic Obama is relying on to put him over the top. I'd say he's banking on a bit more sophisticated college-aged voter(fully aware that Obama, McCain, and others did a mini MTV thing during the primaries).

Fair enough.

For those who think there could be potential corruption in elections....absentee voting and early voting kick open that cracked door.

I'm a personal accountability and responsibility guy. It drives me nuts that people won't make their own effort to vote, without others coming to their house, begging them to register, begging them to vote etc...

In other countries, people walk miles, wait in lines for hours and risk shootings and car bombs to vote. Too many of our people expect a limo ride and free ring dings.

So, you, I assume, would advocate a paper trail or discontinuation of electronic voting machines?

Adept Havelock
10-14-2008, 09:51 PM

What evidence do you have to back up that belief? A number of convictions along those lines that show it's a serious threat, perhaps? Just curious.

I quite agree. It bothers me as well. However, that doesn't cause me to have a problem with making it a little more convenient for people to exercise their Sovereign Franchise. YMMV.

I just don't see how voting early is abandoning personal accountability and responsibility. I can see how not voting qualifies, but not early voting.

Iowanian
10-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Its the left that basically demanded the electronic voting...to make it easier for stupid people and people with disabilities.

I've been a worker in the past 2 presidential elections. I've seen enough to know that I'm far more concerned about the activities of special interest election groups than I am the validity of electronic voting. I've seen firsthand, multiple requests for absentee ballots turned in by groups like Move-on. I've seen absentee ballot requests for invalids, and in one case, a person known to be in a coma. I've also seen local officials run test after test after test on equipment to make certain it accurately reflected the sample ballot set, to verify it would be good when it counted. I've seen people bring in van loads of people who normally wouldn't vote, in some cases special needs people and heard comments as they "helped" them vote like "these people help people with special needs" as they pointed to a portion of a ballot.

I know that local officials are in charge of their own equipment setup, and the ones I know work very, very hard to keep all of this stuff straight.

I am not working for this election.

irishjayhawk
10-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Iowanian - are you against "not voting on principle"?

Iowanian
10-14-2008, 09:59 PM
I think every person who is legal to vote, has that responsibility.

I also think with that right, comes responsibility. Examples of this responsibility
I mention would be things like, having at least SOME idea what the issue you're
voting for is, or who the people you mark are or at least some of their policies.

If I don't know, I leave that item blank.

An uninformed vote is worse than no vote at all in my personal opinion.

If you're legally able to vote and don't make the initiative to do so, you lose the right to bitch through the next election cycle, IMO. If you're no more informed than seeing some signs or an ad on MTV.....

I think the worst vote of all is the party line box. Idiotic in ALL cases.

Dallas Chief
10-14-2008, 10:26 PM

You have absolutley no idea what you are talking about. MTV is just as relevant- maybe even moreso- as it has been since the mid to late 1980's. The 18-28 demographic is simply entralled by the garbage that they produce every week. (Not all, but a significant part of this group) MTV still commands a large portion of mindshare for this demo when it come to seeking and acquiring entertainment information. Watch it for a day and tell me that the advertisers that support their programming aren't targeting that exact same demographic. Generation Y, or The Millenials as they have been coined. Exactly the group that skews the heaviest towards the Obama ticket. I am not saying there is anything wrong with that, just that you are off base in your assertion that MTV is irrelevant to this group.

|Zach|
10-14-2008, 10:30 PM
You have absolutley no idea what you are talking about. MTV is just as relevant- maybe even moreso- as it has been since the mid to late 1980's. The 18-28 demographic is simply entralled by the garbage that they produce every week. (Not all, but a significant part of this group) MTV still commands a large portion of mindshare for this demo when it come to seeking and acquiring entertainment information. Watch it for a day and tell me that the advertisers that support their programming aren't targeting that exact same demographic. Generation Y, or The Millenials as they have been coined. Exactly the group that skews the heaviest towards the Obama ticket. I am not saying there is anything wrong with that, just that you are off base in your assertion that MTV is irrelevant to this group.
Wow, false...

Just false.

Entertainment in every form is so much more spread out than it used to be. MTV is a need in a stack of needles and holds its own but can't compare to the influence it used to have.

Just look at all the ways kids seek out and get music.

How old are you?

Taco John
10-14-2008, 10:32 PM

I searched your posts for complaints about the diebold system and the potential for corruption that paperless balloting presents. Why is it that I can't find any concern from you on this issue? Suddenly, you're concerned about the potential for corruption?

RJ
10-14-2008, 10:37 PM

Not to be argumentative, but I just checked Holmezz's user profile and it tells me he is 22 years old. I'm gonna have to give him the nod for expertise on this issue. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing you're a bit older.

Smed1065
10-14-2008, 10:39 PM
I'd be pretty amazed if there were a large all day rain event in each of the 50 states.

You'd have to have some serious rain issues on the West coast, East coast, North..etc. But I guess if it's nice and sunny in KS, SD, ND, WY, WV, etc. McCain will win in a landslide.

I'm sure the old bastards that can't even see 10 feet in the rain will be rushing to drive to the voting booths to vote for the most liberal Republican candidate ever.

QFT but they still have their retirement home buses.

:cuss:

Iowanian
10-14-2008, 10:41 PM
I searched your posts for complaints about the diebold system and the potential for corruption that paperless balloting presents. Why is it that I can't find any concern from you on this issue? Suddenly, you're concerned about the potential for corruption?

I've made the same arguement more than one time.

My concern is NOT for the equipment. I believe there may be a few technical malfunctions and whatnot, but I'm far more concerned with the actions of people with agendas. This isn't new, but I appreciate your bullshit insinuation.

I'm sure a blimp is all that is needed to get the people out to vote....or the MoonBat signal.

I believe absentee voting has a very valid reason for existence, and I think its a valid use of one's right to vote, I don't however believe it should ever be a campaign tool.

RJ
10-14-2008, 10:45 PM
I've made the same arguement more than one time.

My concern is NOT for the equipment. I believe there may be a few technical malfunctions and whatnot, but I'm far more concerned with the actions of people with agendas. This isn't new, but I appreciate your bullshit insinuation.

I lost you somewhere. You favor electronic over paper because paper leaves more room for manipulation? Or vice versa?

Iowanian
10-14-2008, 10:47 PM
I don't really care about the method the vote is cast. I'm not wearing a helicopter beanie and don't assume the equipment is part of some vast conspiracy. Hell, most paper ballots are actually counted with...you guessed it, electronic equipment.

I think some people have read too much into the movie "man of the year".

I'm far more concerned about special interest groups rounding up homeless people, trying to claim the bridges they are sleeping under as their homes and giving them a meal to vote. I'm far more concerned about things like this, and the issues with groups like say, Acorn(or Moveon last election) registering the same people multiple times, attempting to get absentee ballots for people who don't want them, or couldn't vote them.

Also, the last I saw, each absentee ballot voted cost local tax payers I believe around $2.25 MORE than a normal vote. Now do the math on the number of early votes, and cost of elections.

RJ
10-14-2008, 10:52 PM
I don't really care about the method the vote is cast.

I'm far more concerned about special interest groups rounding up drunk people, trying to claim the bridges they are sleeping under as their homes and giving them a meal to vote. I'm far more concerned about things like this, and the issues with groups like say, Acorn(or Moveon last election) registering the same people multiple times, attempting to get absentee ballots for people who don't want them, or couldn't vote them.

Also, the last I saw, each absentee ballot voted cost local tax payers I believe around $2.25 MORE than a normal vote. Now do the math on the number of early votes, and cost of elections.

Do you think absentee ballots and early voting are used in greater numbers by dems? Or are you just against them in general? Just curious, as I know you've worked a few elections.

Iowanian
10-14-2008, 10:54 PM
Absolutely they are used more by Dems.

Don't get me wrong, I think they have valuable uses...military, people with legit reasons like work, travel, health issues etc....They're a great thing for those people.

I am not in favor of ANY group, from ANY party walking the streets, encouraging or enticing people to vote early, "because its easy". I've seen people go into an election office and curse at workers because they received a ballot in the mail, didn't want them, claimed their sigs were forged and then maybe "oh, I signed that so the dumbass would leave"...type incidents several times. I've seen forged signatures on some of those request forms when compared to their license or registration form.

Encourage everyone to register. Encourage everyone to vote. Encourage them to take the responsibility to get to their designated polling location and vote. Its their right. Hell, give them a map with their polling location, give them a shuttle service on that day.

People with an agenda have a motivation to stretch the rules. Absentee ballots are a lot more work, the ballots are in unknown hands until returned, and have significantly more cost to tax payers.

Dallas Chief
10-14-2008, 11:18 PM
Wow, false...

Just false.

Entertainment in every form is so much more spread out than it used to be. MTV is a need in a stack of needles and holds its own but can't compare to the influence it used to have.

Just look at all the ways kids seek out and get music.

How old are you?

Much older than 22. You can think what you want. MTV is one of the major hubs for information and entertainment for this demographic. They have kept themsleves reelvant by constantly evolving from being mostly music based to becoming a more centralized entertainment hub. They have mostly lost their music focus over the past eight years due to the prolifieration of online music. They saw the writing on the wall and changed their format because of it. I didn't say there weren't any other options that this demo used, just that MTV still commands a significant mind share with this group. It is not irrelevant- yet. MTV IS struggling to keep this audience (they still have it) but know their days are numbered if they don't keep evolving.

HolmeZz
10-14-2008, 11:29 PM
The youth don't go to MTV for their friggin' political fix. They'll go to one of a billion sites on the internet if they're that consumed with politics. If they're looking for entertainment news, they'll go to one of the trillion entertainment sites on the internet.

MTV's biggest demo with their programming for the last few years has basically been ditzy teenage girls. They fill their airwaves with fake reality shows and shit like The Hills. Those aren't the type of people Obama's relying on in this election. Your mistake is thinking the youth vote is homogeneous.

Dallas Chief
10-14-2008, 11:31 PM
Not to be argumentative, but I just checked Holmezz's user profile and it tells me he is 22 years old. I'm gonna have to give him the nod for expertise on this issue. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing you're a bit older.

I could see where you would think that and yes I am a bit older. Not too old though- still no gray hair. :D Keep in mind that he may not be representative of the entire demographic. My company still spends a significant amount of it's advertising budget wooing this demographic and MTV is still one of our major focuses.

FTR- I think it is a smart move on Obama's part to target this generation. He had to- he wants to win. They are about 80 million strong. So what if they are a bunch of mindless twits with a cell phone in one hand and a banana caramel frappucino in the other. I was that age not so long ago and was a Clinton Republican. The only difference was that I had a beer in one hand and a joint in the other. We all have to grow up sometime. Although I think it may take this gen. much longer to come around. Have you tried to hire and retain any Millenials lately???:shake:

HolmeZz
10-14-2008, 11:35 PM
My company still spends a significant amount of it's advertising budget wooing this demographic and MTV is still one of our major focuses. :

The kids you are wooing aren't the kids Obama is relying on. There are a ton of different fractions of the youth vote and many ways to get to them. MTV has become increasingly irrelevant over the years, in large part due to the internet and the fact that they lost their 'coolness'. The network does not carry the some cache(sp?) it used to. Not in the least bit.

Dallas Chief
10-14-2008, 11:50 PM
The youth don't go to MTV for their friggin' political fix. They'll go to one of a billion sites on the internet if they're that consumed with politics. If they're looking for entertainment news, they'll go to one of the trillion entertainment sites on the internet.

MTV's biggest demo with their programming for the last few years has basically been ditzy teenage girls. They fill their airwaves with fake reality shows and shit like The Hills. Those aren't the type of people Obama's relying on in this election. Your mistake is thinking the youth vote is homogeneous.

OK.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/08/obama-aims-tv-ads-at-younger-voters/
Pretty interesting comments below on this ad spend...

Dude- I am not trying to lump you all together as a bunch of mindless idiots. You are a bunch of know it all little creetins though, just like I was XX years ago. :) Politics aside- your perspective on what is important sure does change after you get married, have kids, and age a few years.

This is the largest generational demographic since the baby boom. Whoever owns their mindshare, wins. Period. And Obama has been doing exactly that. He better hope they do indeed get out and vote though. I personally think they will. Could I be over-estimating them? maybe.

Logical
10-15-2008, 12:33 AM
I should have brought this up earlier, but I'm very curious. For someone that's busy defending our country, you seem to be able to spend an inordinate amount of time on this message board. Could you enlighten us on how you're able to do this?Haven't you heard Kim JohnIL is well ill, so KCJohnny is no longer fending off the Kimshee pots and Korean BBQs.

Logical
10-15-2008, 12:39 AM
Absolutely they are used more by Dems.

Don't get me wrong, I think they have valuable uses...military, people with legit reasons like work, travel, health issues etc....They're a great thing for those people.

I am not in favor of ANY group, from ANY party walking the streets, encouraging or enticing people to vote early, "because its easy". I've seen people go into an election office and curse at workers because they received a ballot in the mail, didn't want them, claimed their sigs were forged and then maybe "oh, I signed that so the dumbass would leave"...type incidents several times. I've seen forged signatures on some of those request forms when compared to their license or registration form.

Encourage everyone to register. Encourage everyone to vote. Encourage them to take the responsibility to get to their designated polling location and vote. Its their right. Hell, give them a map with their polling location, give them a shuttle service on that day.

People with an agenda have a motivation to stretch the rules. Absentee ballots are a lot more work, the ballots are in unknown hands until returned, and have significantly more cost to tax payers.While this all may be true, in at least the Western states more and more people are voting by mail and it is being encouraged. It wont be long before out here it is rare for people to vote by going to the polls.