PDA

View Full Version : Elections Late-Night Comics Skewer Republicans 7-to-1, Study Finds

mlyonsd
10-16-2008, 02:45 PM
John McCain is slated to return to "Late Show With David Letterman" Thursday night, but should the onetime media favorite be preparing for an ambush?

A study shows the Kings of Late Night are not equal-opportunity destroyers this year when it comes to telling jokes about the candidates for president and vice president -- they're hammering Republicans a stunning seven times more often than they skewer Democrats.

The Center for Media and Public Affairs, a media analysis group, kept a tally of jokes told about the presidential contenders on the "Late Show" and "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno" in the five weeks after McCain chose Sarah Palin to be his running mate and vaulted the little-known Alaska governor into the national spotlight.

The total: Republicans, 286. Democrats, 42.

"Generally the Republicans get targeted much more often than Democrats, but this election is driving it off the charts," said CMPA Executive Director Donald Rieck.

Letterman and Leno told 106 jokes about McCain and 180 about Palin in the 25 shows that aired between Aug. 29, when McCain chose her, and Oct. 2, the date of the vice presidential debate.

Barack Obama, who may be Leno's guest next week, was targeted only 26 times -- barely once a night. His gaffe-prone running mate, Joe Biden, who is scheduled to appear on Leno Thursday night, was hit only 16 times, not even one-tenth the number of jokes told about Palin over the five-week period.

McCain's date with Letterman Thursday comes weeks after he canceled a scheduled appearance in September that left the late-night comedian hopping mad.

The Republican candidate canceled his appearance so he could go to Washington to deal with the economic crisis. While recording his show, Letterman learned that McCain was still in New York, doing an interview on the CBS Evening News, and he spent much of his show skewering the Republican who stood him up.

Palin also has taken a big hit from the late-night comedians -- and from Saturday Night Live, where Tina Fey's parody of the vice presidential candidate has skyrocketed the show's ratings. It is rumored that Palin will make an appearance on SNL on Oct. 25.

"Palin's just a bonanza for these guys," said Rieck. "You have a woman who shoots wolves from a helicopter; whether she's a Democrat or Republican, that's just a bonanza. Biden's kind of boring compared to that, isn't he?"

Obama is almost as boring to comedians as Biden, said Robert Thompson, director of the Center for the Study of Popular Television at Syracuse University.

"He is kind of a comedian's worst nightmare," Thompson said. "He doesn't do anything. He doesn't fall down like Gerald Ford did. He's not filled with scandal and isn't a sexual player like Clinton was. He doesn't misspell words like Dan Quayle did.

"The size of his ears is about all they have to work with."
Tim Graham, director of media analysis for Media Research Center, a conservative watchdog group, said the comedians' tendency to avoid mocking Obama comes from a fear of being called racist.

"There is a racial minefield that they're trying to avoid," Graham said. "I think they see Obama as a historic figure, and because he's a historic figure it's like making jokes about Martin Luther King."

Palin, like President Bush, has been pegged as dumb by the comedians, Graham said.

"All of the prejudices that the liberal media elite have towards the hockey mom from Alaska are clearly coming through with these New York-based and LA-based comedians, probably as strong as or more strongly than they're coming across in the news media," he said.

Should Obama win the presidency, his get-out-of-jokes-free card from the late-night comedians will expire, said Thompson, leaving him just as vulnerable as McCain and Palin have been during the election.

"He is by no means a comedian's dream-come-true the way Bill Clinton was," he said. "But you can't be in that office without delivering material people can work with.

"I am convinced that when comedians die and go to heaven, Bill Clinton is still president. When Monica Lewinsky came along, the jokes wrote themselves."
http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/16/late-night-comics-skewer-republicans-seven-study-finds/

Duck Dog
10-16-2008, 02:46 PM
Where do you think these young Hussain Obama voters get their news from?

mlyonsd
10-16-2008, 02:47 PM
I found this interesting. I knew the jokes were skewered but didn't imagine it was 7-1.

BigCatDaddy
10-16-2008, 02:48 PM
Probably fear of being labeled as a racist.

HolmeZz
10-16-2008, 03:12 PM
McCain and Palin give a retarded amount of material. Obama hasn't been doing much lately, he's just been sitting on a lead.

bango
10-16-2008, 09:22 PM
Seven to one? I thought that it would be way higher than that. I would have guessed that it was more along the lines of nine or more to one. I mean who even likes Republicans anymore? We know that the Democrats and Liberals do not like them. Conservatives do not even like them anymore. The only people who actually like Republicans are Republicans.

Mr. Kotter
10-16-2008, 09:25 PM
It's been the way things were.....as long as I can remember.

I wouldn't expect anything less from Hollywierd though. :shrug:

Ultra Peanut
10-16-2008, 09:29 PM
It's not "Hollyweird," it's THE FUNDAMENTAL DYNAMIC OF THE SITUATION. Republicans are the Rich White Dude party. The rich were getting skewered in the earliest days of <strike>this country</strike> human civilization, and people were mocking the power brokers in America before there was a United States.

And when an eccentric rich white dude from the Rich White Dude party starts running around the country with a borderline retarded Alaskan woman? Yeah, fancy jokes being told about them.

RJ
10-16-2008, 09:31 PM
No surprise there. Bush and Palin alone both supply huge material. Not to mention that Republican candidates generally tend to seem humorless, Huckaby being an obvious exception. It's easy to make fun of humorless people.

But nothing will ever top Clinton. Every demographic got it, from 12 year old boys on up.

Mr. Kotter
10-16-2008, 09:33 PM
It's not "Hollyweird," it's THE FUNDAMENTAL DYNAMIC OF THE SITUATION. Republicans are the Rich White Dude party. The rich were getting skewered in the earliest days of <strike>this country</strike> human civilization, and people were mocking the power brokers in America before there was a United States.

And when an eccentric rich white dude from the Rich White Dude party starts running around the country with a borderline retarded Alaskan woman? Yeah, fancy jokes being told about them.

Your grasp of history is, well....astonishing. :shake:

Ultra Peanut
10-16-2008, 09:38 PM
Your grasp of history is, well....astonishing. :shake:Fuck you and your mock ignorance.

Pitt Gorilla
Actual footage of Palin is often hilarious without commentary. Does that count?

RJ

UP is correct. Look back at the depression, for instance. The Marx Brothers made a living by poking fun at the rich. It was the underlying theme of virually every movie. For years one of the main co-stars was Margaret Dumont, whose only purpose was to play the rich, humorless and self-centered dowager.

From what I know, it's been the same for at least the past 600 or so years.

RJ
10-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Actual footage of Palin is often hilarious without commentary. Does that count?

You know it's funny when the comedy writers don't even bother to change her dialogue.

Mr. Kotter
10-16-2008, 09:40 PM
**** you and your mock ignorance.

Wow. I'm hurt. Deeply.

My point was Republicans.....rich, or not, have ALWAYS born the brunt of the jokes coming from the Hollyweird crowd. It's nothing different than it ever has been. At least in our lifetime.

Ultra Peanut
10-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Wow. I'm hurt. Deeply.

My point was Republicans.....rich, or not, have ALWAYS born the brunt of the jokes coming from the Hollyweird crowd.Did you just... not experience the '90s, or something?

And we get it. You can't read. That's fine.

Mr. Kotter
10-16-2008, 09:51 PM
Did you just... not experience the '90s, or something?

And we get it. You can't read. That's fine.

I can read just fine; but I certainly question your comprehension and recall skills.

The Clintons made it easy; of course, as President....before the Lewinsky affair, many if not most of the jokes were along the lines of him NOT being liberal/or liberal enough for that crowd. Name another Democrat that has garnered the same "material" from Hollyweird. Other than Kerry (deserved it) I can't think of any that come close.

Maybe the hormone therapy affects your recall. That or you weren't paying attention CLOSELY during your pre-adolescent years. That's fine.

Pitt Gorilla
10-16-2008, 09:54 PM
before the Lewinsky affair, many if not most of the jokes were along the lines of him NOT being liberal/or liberal enough for that crowd. I don't believe that at all.

RJ
10-16-2008, 09:55 PM
Wow. I'm hurt. Deeply.

My point was Republicans.....rich, or not, have ALWAYS born the brunt of the jokes coming from the Hollyweird crowd. It's nothing different than it ever has been. At least in our lifetime.

It's not just Hollywood, though. The rich and the ruling class have been poked fun at for as long as people have been poking fun. Republicans are the party of the rich and the judgmental by virtue of Wall Street and the RR. It's the comedic equivalent of putting a kick me sign on your back, or putting a banana peel, a ladder and a bucket of water in your path.

Mr. Kotter
10-16-2008, 09:56 PM
It's not just Hollywood, though. The rich and the ruling class have been poked fun at for as long as people have been poking fun. Republicans are the party of the rich and the judgmental by virtue of Wall Street and the RR. It's the comedic equivalent of putting a kick me sign on your back, or putting a banana peel, a ladder and a bucket of water in your path.

I'm not disputing that; I'm suggesting during the last 40 years, the criticism has been clearly one-sided....much more so than "history" (long-term) would suggest it would be.

Mr. Kotter
10-16-2008, 09:58 PM
I don't believe that at all.

Ask me if I care? :shrug:

Taco John
10-16-2008, 10:11 PM
**** you and your mock ignorance.

There's nothing mock about it. Kotter is genuinely ignorant.

Mr. Kotter
10-16-2008, 10:21 PM
There's nothing mock about it. Kotter is genuinely ignorant.

If only you really knew a jack-shit about it....or anything that your run you douchebag mouth off about, and I mean ANYTHING....then I might give two shits about what you (or your "posse") think about me.

I don't.

Really.

Logical
10-16-2008, 10:35 PM

And when an eccentric rich white dude from the Rich White Dude party starts running around the country with a borderline retarded Alaskan woman? Yeah, fancy jokes being told about them.Borderline, you are too kind, I believe they are trying to determine if her baby has more intellect.

Mecca
10-16-2008, 10:36 PM
I can read just fine; but I certainly question your comprehension and recall skills.

The Clintons made it easy; of course, as President....before the Lewinsky affair, many if not most of the jokes were along the lines of him NOT being liberal/or liberal enough for that crowd. Name another Democrat that has garnered the same "material" from Hollyweird. Other than Kerry (deserved it) I can't think of any that come close.

Maybe the hormone therapy affects your recall. That or you weren't paying attention CLOSELY during your pre-adolescent years. That's fine.

In that thought I'm pretty sure Sarah Palin deserves to be made fun of.

|Zach|
10-16-2008, 10:36 PM
If only you really knew a jack-shit about it....or anything that your run you douchebag mouth off about, and I mean ANYTHING....then I might give two shits about what you (or your "posse") think about me.

I don't.

Really.

Sure.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-16-2008, 10:38 PM
It's been the way things were.....as long as I can remember.

I wouldn't expect anything less from Hollywierd though. :shrug:

Retarded. In the 2000 election, late night comedians told more jokes about Clinton than Bush and Gore combined.

Logical
10-16-2008, 10:39 PM

Maybe the hormone therapy affects your recall. That or you weren't paying attention CLOSELY during your pre-adolescent years. That's fine.Holy shit I forgot how funny it is when a Democrat is not liberal enough. I think there are 100s of SNL skits on that....oh wait...no there are not.....!!!!!

Logical
10-16-2008, 10:40 PM
There's nothing mock about it. Kotter is genuinely ignorant.When did you get a posse?

Pitt Gorilla
10-16-2008, 11:08 PM
When did you get a posse?He had to get one when they:

got a committee
to kick him off the block
'cause he says his rhymes loud
and says them nonstop

Duck Dog
10-17-2008, 07:31 AM
The left sure throw the word 'retarded' around a lot lately. Why are the left so insensitive toward challenged people? If any of you were of any importance, the ACLU would be all over your hypocritical whiny little asses.

Are you intimidated by pretty, smart, powerful women? Do you feel so inadequate that you have to perversely throw the word 'retarded' around?

Real tolerant of you all. Way to show your true colors.

penchief
10-17-2008, 07:41 AM
Wow. I'm hurt. Deeply.

Bill Clinton might disagree with you.

Amnorix
10-17-2008, 07:44 AM
Palin is comedy gold. She's off the charts on the Unintentional Humor scale. Can't blame the late night comedy folks for that, they just take advantage of it.

What was the ratio fo Republican to Democrat jokes when the Lewinsky matter was front-page news for weeks or months?

Amnorix
10-17-2008, 07:45 AM
The left sure throw the word 'retarded' around a lot lately. Why are the left so insensitive toward challenged people? If any of you were of any importance, the ACLU would be all over your hypocritical whiny little asses.

Are you intimidated by pretty, smart, powerful women? Do you feel so inadequate that you have to perversely throw the word 'retarded' around?

Other than the pretty part, I always though the right's reaction to Hillary was so stunningly over the top it had to be motivated by something other than what she had actually done or said.

Your list isn't very accurate. Palin ain't no genious...

Frankie
10-17-2008, 08:56 AM
Where do you think these young Hussain Obama voters get their news from?

Certainly not Fox News, like you fair and balanced guys do.

Frankie
10-17-2008, 08:58 AM
Late-Night Comics Skewer Republicans 7-to-1, Study Finds.

In other news, study finds Republicans give Late-Night Comics 7 times as much comedy material.

chagrin
10-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Your grasp of history is, well....astonishing. :shake:

Your wording is precise, his "grasp" of history, it's as he sees it, not as it is/was

chagrin
10-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Bill Clinton might disagree with you.
yeah, making jokes about him having sex (which you and the rest of the freaks totally defended) really compares with basically calling Palin a whore and McCain a war monger

|Zach|
10-17-2008, 09:09 AM
with basically calling Palin a whore and McCain a war monger

You're being dramatic.

penchief
10-17-2008, 09:11 AM
yeah, making jokes about him having sex (which you and the rest of the freaks totally defended) really compares with basically calling Palin a whore and McCain a war monger

I haven't heard any late night comics calling Palin a whore. Who did that?

Also, in the case of John McCain, his own words have provided a lot of ammunition when it comes to his bomb bomb bomb first and ask ask ask questions later approach to diplomacy. That said, which comic called him a war monger?

Dave Lane
10-17-2008, 09:15 AM
UP is correct. Look back at the depression, for instance. The Marx Brothers made a living by poking fun at the rich. It was the underlying theme of virually every movie. For years one of the main co-stars was Margaret Dumont, whose only purpose was to play the rich, humorless and self-centered dowager.

From what I know, it's been the same for at least the past 600 or so years.

I can see you in the kitchen now bending over a hot stoive.... But i can't see the stove.

Iowanian
10-17-2008, 09:22 AM
I thought Letterman pretty much burried McCain last night.

He was pretty much a prick about it and wouldn't do the same to Obama....but he put McCain to the canvas.

|Zach|
10-17-2008, 09:25 AM
I thought Letterman pretty much burried McCain last night.

He was pretty much a prick about it and wouldn't do the same to Obama....but he put McCain to the canvas.

I remember being surprised at the fuss he made from McCain not showing up that night. Made what I heard about last night less surprising.

penchief
10-17-2008, 09:28 AM
I remember being surprised at the fuss he made from McCain not showing up that night. Made what I heard about last night less surprising.

Letterman has always treated McCain with a lot of respect. The way McCain bailed on Letterman and basically lied to him about it was disrespectful. It's probably going to cost McCain some of Letterman's good will for a while. And I can't say as I blame him.

You can't treat people with disrespect and expect to get the royal treatment no matter how self-entitled you feel.

Iowanian
10-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Have you ever seen the FX show "Sons of Anarchy"?

Last week, there was a scene where an excommunicated member needed to be somewhere they were. They voted to let him come, but someone saw he hadn't removed the tatoo from his back.....they pretended to be nice to him, brought him back to the clubhouse and gave him a couple of drinks. They lured him to the shop to "see a new bike".....and then chained him to the engine hoist, pulled off his shirt and asked him to choose between "knife or fire" to remove the entire back-tat.

He chose fire and they lit a torch, poured grain alcohol on his back and went to work.

Letterman tripped McCain in front of the sofa, had fat guys hold him down, and didn't give him a choice before lighting the torch and dumping the Everclear.

It was not even an attempt at being funny, he was a hostile, unprofessional prick about it......and he did have a TKO.....then after an extended break, gave it to him again.

Duck Dog
10-17-2008, 09:58 AM
****ing Hamas with blow a virtual IED up in your face if you use the word Ghetto, but he gives his fellow liberals a free pass to throw around the word 'retarded' when clearly those liberals are referring to a real living baby.

Hypocritical and transparent.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-17-2008, 10:01 AM
Fucking Hamas with blow a virtual IED up in your face if you use the word Ghetto, but he gives his fellow liberals a free pass to throw around the word 'retarded' when clearly those liberals are referring to a real living baby.

Someone's got an Internet hardon.

Dr. Van Halen
10-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Borderline, you are too kind, I believe they are trying to determine if her baby has more intellect.

Dude. Come on.

RaiderH8r
10-17-2008, 11:45 AM

Are you f'ing kidding me? Joey Hairplugs has plenty of dumbass things to say (FDR went on TV? Forget the tv part about it, FDR wasn't even president when the Depression started. Barry's a damn caricature of himself with his Shatner-esque delivery and epic inquiry avoidance syndrome.)

Politicians are ripe for satire but comedians are going for the easy because they're lazy and unimaginative. SNL is the pinnacle of that. Oh look, another age joke about McCain, how f'ing original. Oh look, a bumpkin joke about Palin, how f'ing original.

Biden's hair plugs are fodder for at least one bit.

WilliamTheIrish
10-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Some poor dramatic sap actually took the time to tally which candidate(s) got more jokes told about them?

That's sad and.... Side-splittingly funny.

Duck Dog
10-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Someone's got an Internet hardon.

Someones been outed for the hypocritical fake MF'er that they really are. And that someone is you.

Now it's your turn to call me a stupid retard and tell me to eat the business end of that 203 in my avatar.

RaiderH8r
10-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Someones been outed for the hypocritical fake MF'er that they really are. And that someone is you.

Now it's your turn to call me a stupid retard and tell me to eat the business end of that 203 in my avatar.

If you're going to eat it you better do it soon...before Barry-O and his minions come to take it away.

Mr. Kotter
10-17-2008, 12:43 PM
When did you get a posse?

Here's there pic, Jim....from left (our left) to the right:

Zach-PittGorilla-TJ-UP-jAZ

(Internet tough guy, Mr. Passive Aggressive, nerd turned ring leader, drama queen, and Mr. Insecure)

Glad I could help. :thumb:

;)

RaiderH8r
10-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Here's there pic, Jim....from left (our left) to the right:

Zach-PittGorilla-TJ-UP-jAZ

(Internet tough guy, Mr. Passive Aggressive, nerd turned ring leader, drama queen, and Mr. Insecure)

Glad I could help. :thumb:

;)

Somebody should tell those guys they've got some shit on their faces before they snap the picture. That's what a real pal would do.

mlyonsd
10-17-2008, 02:46 PM
FWIW....Palin is supposed to be making an appearance on SNL tomorrow night.

Ultra Peanut
10-17-2008, 03:07 PM

http://i36.tinypic.com/o88b9z.png

laffo

WilliamTheIrish
10-17-2008, 03:10 PM
http://i36.tinypic.com/o88b9z.png

laffo

I can only think of one thing to say to that:

Is it time to shut down the DC forum? It's toooooo personal!!!/RecxFlake.

|Zach|
10-17-2008, 11:11 PM
I can only think of one thing to say to that:

Is it time to shut down the DC forum? It's toooooo personal!!!/RecxFlake.

ROFL

go bowe
10-18-2008, 06:35 PM
Where do you think these young Hussain Obama voters get their news from?same places gov. palin gets hers...

whatever is in front of her...

and she has lots of sources too... :jester: :jester: :jester:

go bowe
10-18-2008, 06:44 PM

I don't.

Really.posse?

up has a possee? :eek: :eek: :eek:

***SPRAYER
06-14-2009, 08:57 AM
This guy rips that angry goofy moonbat Letterman a new one:

http://www.pjtv.com/video/ZoNation/_AlfonZo_Rachel_Presents%3A_Letterman%2C_Palin_and_a_Topless_Drew_Brrrymore/2026/

:thumb:

Frankie
06-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Late-Night Comics Skewer Republicans 7-to-1.

:hmmm: It couldn't be because they provide 7 times more material, COULD IT?!!!

jjjayb
06-14-2009, 09:32 AM
:hmmm: It couldn't be because they provide 7 times more material, COULD IT?!!!

Have you EVER seen so little comedy about the president and vice president in your lifetime? Now the only jokes told that involve the president just use him to rip republicans.

You win the hearts and minds through the media. Our media is running a great propaganda campaign for the democratic party. At least they used to be sneaky about it. Now it's just outright blatant.

banyon
06-14-2009, 09:43 AM
Have you EVER seen so little comedy about the president and vice president in your lifetime? Now the only jokes told that involve the president just use him to rip republicans.
You win the hearts and minds through the media. Our media is running a great propaganda campaign for the democratic party. At least they used to be sneaky about it. Now it's just outright blatant.

The only jokes? C'mon give me a break. SNL makes fun of Obama and Biden every other week at least.

Frankie
06-14-2009, 09:44 AM

And how is Obama providing comedy material?

Nightwish
06-14-2009, 01:02 PM
This guy rips that angry goofy moonbat Letterman a new one:

http://www.pjtv.com/video/ZoNation/_AlfonZo_Rachel_Presents%3A_Letterman%2C_Palin_and_a_Topless_Drew_Brrrymore/2026/

:thumb:
ROFLROFLROFL

That's what you call "ripping a new one?" Man, your world must be in a sad state of affairs! 90% of that idiot's rant was parroted talking points. The other 10% was him bellyaching because Letterman gave short shrift to non-political celebs like Drew Berrymore when he made jokes about Sarah Palin or long-dead non-political celebs like John Belushi and John Candy when he made jokes about Rush Limbaugh. This buffoon can't even find his own a-hole, it seems, let alone rip someone else a new one. But your comedy is golden, keep it up! ROFL

ILChief
06-14-2009, 01:29 PM

this. Bush was a redneck, Clinton a womanizer, etc. That's alot of material. Obama comes off as intelligent and well spoken. What are comedians supposed to do, make big ear jokes every night?

JonesCrusher
06-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Obama said that our constitution was written more than twenty centuries ago.

As far as I noticed this was skipped by all comedians.

BucEyedPea
06-14-2009, 02:01 PM

When did he say that? If true, that's pretty bad for someone who is supposed to be a Constitutional scholar. The left uses the "out-of-date" theme because it puts barriers in their way to realizing their agenda to change us into a third world socialist state.

JonesCrusher
06-14-2009, 02:07 PM
When did he say that? If true, that's pretty bad for someone who is supposed to be a Constitutional scholar. The left uses the "out-of-date" theme because it puts barriers in their way to realizing their agenda to change us into a third world socialist state.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiRhHqlzaG4

banyon
06-14-2009, 02:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiRhHqlzaG4

Ha. He's talking about Hammurabi's code the earliest known set of "legal principles" from @ the 22nd century BC., nice try though. The little soundbyte doesn't mention the Constitution.

I mean Bush used to commit a major speaking gaffe every day. People made money selling calendars of them, and I guess that underscores the need to reach for stuff like this.

petegz28
06-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Can't make fun of Obama, he is black and a Democrat. Off-limits. Nevermind between the teleprompter, the flyover and "date night", just to name a few instances, there could be plenty of material.

banyon
06-14-2009, 02:31 PM
Can't make fun of Obama, he is black and a Democrat. Off-limits. Nevermind between the teleprompter, the flyover and "date night", just to name a few instances, there could be plenty of material.

They did make fun of all of that.

Teleprompter:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UVjNVPsL5EY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UVjNVPsL5EY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Also:"Many people are complaining, though, that Obama is becoming too scripted. Last night, he was having an intimate moment with Michelle, and she said, 'Wait, are you reading the teleprompter?'" --Jimmy Fallon

Flyover:

<embed style='display:block' src='http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:comedycentral.com:225154' width='360' height='301' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' wmode='window' allowFullscreen='true' flashvars='autoPlay=false' allowscriptaccess='always' allownetworking='all' bgcolor='#000000'></embed><br />via <a href="http://www.videosift.com/video/TDS-Mistakes-on-a-Plane" title="TDS - Mistakes on a Plane">videosift.com</a>

Date Night

<table style='font:11px arial; color:#333; background-color:#f5f5f5' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' width='360' height='353'><tbody><tr style='background-color:#e5e5e5' valign='middle'><td style='padding:2px 1px 0px 5px;'><a target='_blank' style='color:#333; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/'>The Daily Show With Jon Stewart</a></td><td style='padding:2px 5px 0px 5px; text-align:right; font-weight:bold;'>Mon - Thurs 11p / 10c</td></tr><tr style='height:14px;' valign='middle'><td style='padding:2px 1px 0px 5px;' colspan='2'><a target='_blank' style='color:#333; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=228054&title=saturday-night-fever'>Saturday Night Fever</a></td></tr><tr style='height:14px; background-color:#353535' valign='middle'><td colspan='2' style='padding:2px 5px 0px 5px; width:360px; overflow:hidden; text-align:right'><a target='_blank' style='color:#96deff; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/'>thedailyshow.com</a></td></tr><tr valign='middle'><td style='padding:0px;' colspan='2'><embed style='display:block' src='http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:comedycentral.com:228054' width='360' height='301' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' wmode='window' allowFullscreen='true' flashvars='autoPlay=false' allowscriptaccess='always' allownetworking='all' bgcolor='#000000'></embed></td></tr><tr style='height:18px;' valign='middle'><td style='padding:0px;' colspan='2'><table style='margin:0px; text-align:center' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' width='100%' height='100%'><tr valign='middle'><td style='padding:3px; width:33%;'><a target='_blank' style='font:10px arial; color:#333; text-decoration:none;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/index.jhtml'>Daily Show<br/> Full Episodes</a></td><td style='padding:3px; width:33%;'><a target='_blank' style='font:10px arial; color:#333; text-decoration:none;' href='http://www.indecisionforever.com'>Political Humor</a></td><td style='padding:3px; width:33%;'><a target='_blank' style='font:10px arial; color:#333; text-decoration:none;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=228277&title=Newt-Gingrich-Unedited-Interview'>Newt Gingrich Unedited Interview</a></td></tr></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

You guys' pent up outrage at the world around you all out to get you is ridiculous.

Direckshun
06-14-2009, 02:33 PM

You understand the teleprompter may be the dumbest thing ever for people to complain about, right?

petegz28
06-14-2009, 02:47 PM
You understand the teleprompter may be the dumbest thing ever for people to complain about, right?

Who said complain? I said joke about. God damn are you Obots that fucking pretentious?

banyon
06-14-2009, 02:53 PM
"The President held a press conference tonight in prime time. All the major networks carried it, except Fox. They ran the show 'Lie to Me' instead. Fox is something -- they killed President David Palmer off on '24,' they put his brother, President Wayne Palmer, into a permanent coma and now this. What does Fox have against black Presidents?” --Jimmy Kimmel

“Today marks 100 days of President Obama being in office, which is a big deal because 100 days is when his warranty runs out. We couldn’t return him now even if we wanted to.” --Jimmy Kimmel

"President Barack Obama told his Cabinet yesterday to insure that every taxpayer dollar is spent wisely. But there was one embarrassing moment when he had to explain to the Cabinet what a taxpayer was." --Jay Leno

"President Obama should get a big refund this year because he has a lot of dependents. AIG, Citibank, Morgan Stanley -- all dependents." --Jay Leno

"Barack Obama's daughters are very smart. They told him they will take the same responsibility for the dog that he is taking for the economy. That way, if the dog leaves a mess in the White House, it'll be cleaned up by future generations." --Jay Leno

"Well, the wait is over. The Obamas have chosen a new White House dog. It is a Portuguese water dog named Bo. Very cute dog. Their first choice was a wheaten terrier, but it was arrested for tax evasion." --Jimmy Fallon

"President Obama made a surprise visit to Iraq this week where he declared it is time for Iraqis to take responsibility for their country. Said Iraqis, 'You guys first.'" --Seth Meyers

"So they gave the Queen an iPod. I remember when British Prime Minister Gordon Brown was here, the Obamas gave him a DVD box set. So, it looks like they're saving the big gift, the Nintendo, for the Pope." --Jay Leno

"As you know by now, the government is now taking an active role in the auto business. President Obama offering hope, change, and 0 percent financing." --Jay Leno

"It's a great day for our president, Barack Obama, who got to meet the Queen of England today. She very regally gave him a photograph of her, and he gave her an iPod! That's quite an unusual gift from the President. Usually he gives out about $150 million." --Craig Ferguson

"President Obama, by the way, is, I think, making his first presidential European trip. And while he's there in Europe, he plans to fire the CEO's of BMW and Volkswagen." --David Letterman

"Big day in Detroit. You may have heard about this. The Obama Administration asked General Motors C.E.O. Rick Wagoner to step down, and he agreed, which is good news for Obama. You know, the last time he tried to get someone to quit, it took months. And even then, he had to promise her a job as Secretary of State." --Jay Leno

"And in a speech in Anchorage, Alaska, Sarah Palin took kind of a cheap shot at her former running mate, John McCain. She said she couldn't find anyone to pray with during the campaign. She's not the only one. Between Jesse Jackson and Reverend Wright, Obama couldn't find anybody to pray with either." --Jay Leno

"Today, President Obama announced he is using his own money to redecorate the White House. Meanwhile, he is using taxpayers' money to redecorate the houses of A.I.G. executives." --Craig Ferguson

"Barack Obama is taking his first overseas trip as president tomorrow. He is headed to the G20 economic summit. And he's been rehearsing his opening line to foreign leaders. 'Hi, I'm not George Bush. Hi, I'm not George Bush.'" --Jimmy Fallon

"President Obama has announced a task force to review the tax codes. He's concerned there are too many loopholes and too many people manipulating the system to avoid paying taxes. And that's just in his administration." --Jay Leno

"How many watched the President's news conference last night? He got a little testy there, you know. When he was asked why he waited three days to speak out against the AIG bonuses, President Obama said he likes to know what he's talking about before he speaks. So, yet another reversal of the Bush policies." --Jay Leno

"Many people are complaining, though, that Obama is becoming too scripted. Last night, he was having an intimate moment with Michelle, and she said, 'Wait, are you reading the teleprompter?'" --Jimmy Fallon

"On '60 Minutes' the other night, if you saw the interview, reporter Steve Croft asked President Obama how he could laugh with all the financial trouble going on. And the President said it's necessary to have a measure of 'gallows humor to get you through the day.' You know why Obama likes gallows humor? It works much better for him than bowling humor." --Jay Leno

"After Barack Obama was on the show Thursday, I got a phone call from Joe Biden going, 'Wow, what was it like to talk to the President?'" --Jay Leno

"Did you see this on '60 Minutes' last night? Michelle Obama is planting a vegetable garden on the White House lawn. You know the economy's bad when the Obamas are afraid of running out of food." --Jimmy Fallon

"This morning, the first lady, Michelle Obama, celebrated spring by breaking ground on a new vegetable garden at the White House. She said she did it to help educate children about healthy, locally-grown food, and to help her own family survive the coming economic apocalypse." --Jimmy Kimmel

"We are very excited to have President Barack Obama on the show tonight. People think it's amazing that the President would take the time to leave Washington, DC, and fly 3,000 miles to come to California. But that happens to a lot of guys when their mother-in-law moves in with them." --Jay Leno

"No wonder Obama has gray hair. That was the big story in the paper yesterday, Obama has gray hair. Wow, now his hair isn't black enough." --Bill Maher

***SPRAYER
06-14-2009, 02:55 PM
this. Obama comes off as intelligent and well spoken.

He reads well. Sometimes.

petegz28
06-14-2009, 02:57 PM
this. Bush was a redneck, Clinton a womanizer, etc. That's alot of material. Obama comes off as intelligent and well spoken. What are comedians supposed to do, make big ear jokes every night?

He comes off that way as long as he has a teleprompter. Otherwise he is full of "ums" between every other word.

irishjayhawk
06-14-2009, 03:02 PM
He comes off that way as long as he has a teleprompter. Otherwise he is full of "ums" between every other word.

OH NOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Direckshun
06-14-2009, 03:08 PM
Which I believe the Daily Show has made fun of him about...

|Zach|
06-14-2009, 05:10 PM
Which I believe the Daily Show has made fun of him about...

Yes. A lot...

mlyonsd
06-14-2009, 05:40 PM
"The President held a press conference tonight in prime time. All the major networks carried it, except Fox. They ran the show 'Lie to Me' instead. Fox is something -- they killed President David Palmer off on '24,' they put his brother, President Wayne Palmer, into a permanent coma and now this. What does Fox have against black Presidents?” --Jimmy Kimmel

“Today marks 100 days of President Obama being in office, which is a big deal because 100 days is when his warranty runs out. We couldn’t return him now even if we wanted to.” --Jimmy Kimmel

"President Barack Obama told his Cabinet yesterday to insure that every taxpayer dollar is spent wisely. But there was one embarrassing moment when he had to explain to the Cabinet what a taxpayer was." --Jay Leno

"President Obama should get a big refund this year because he has a lot of dependents. AIG, Citibank, Morgan Stanley -- all dependents." --Jay Leno

"Barack Obama's daughters are very smart. They told him they will take the same responsibility for the dog that he is taking for the economy. That way, if the dog leaves a mess in the White House, it'll be cleaned up by future generations." --Jay Leno

"Well, the wait is over. The Obamas have chosen a new White House dog. It is a Portuguese water dog named Bo. Very cute dog. Their first choice was a wheaten terrier, but it was arrested for tax evasion." --Jimmy Fallon

"President Obama made a surprise visit to Iraq this week where he declared it is time for Iraqis to take responsibility for their country. Said Iraqis, 'You guys first.'" --Seth Meyers

"So they gave the Queen an iPod. I remember when British Prime Minister Gordon Brown was here, the Obamas gave him a DVD box set. So, it looks like they're saving the big gift, the Nintendo, for the Pope." --Jay Leno

"As you know by now, the government is now taking an active role in the auto business. President Obama offering hope, change, and 0 percent financing." --Jay Leno

"It's a great day for our president, Barack Obama, who got to meet the Queen of England today. She very regally gave him a photograph of her, and he gave her an iPod! That's quite an unusual gift from the President. Usually he gives out about $150 million." --Craig Ferguson

"President Obama, by the way, is, I think, making his first presidential European trip. And while he's there in Europe, he plans to fire the CEO's of BMW and Volkswagen." --David Letterman

"Big day in Detroit. You may have heard about this. The Obama Administration asked General Motors C.E.O. Rick Wagoner to step down, and he agreed, which is good news for Obama. You know, the last time he tried to get someone to quit, it took months. And even then, he had to promise her a job as Secretary of State." --Jay Leno

"And in a speech in Anchorage, Alaska, Sarah Palin took kind of a cheap shot at her former running mate, John McCain. She said she couldn't find anyone to pray with during the campaign. She's not the only one. Between Jesse Jackson and Reverend Wright, Obama couldn't find anybody to pray with either." --Jay Leno

"Today, President Obama announced he is using his own money to redecorate the White House. Meanwhile, he is using taxpayers' money to redecorate the houses of A.I.G. executives." --Craig Ferguson

"Barack Obama is taking his first overseas trip as president tomorrow. He is headed to the G20 economic summit. And he's been rehearsing his opening line to foreign leaders. 'Hi, I'm not George Bush. Hi, I'm not George Bush.'" --Jimmy Fallon

"President Obama has announced a task force to review the tax codes. He's concerned there are too many loopholes and too many people manipulating the system to avoid paying taxes. And that's just in his administration." --Jay Leno

"How many watched the President's news conference last night? He got a little testy there, you know. When he was asked why he waited three days to speak out against the AIG bonuses, President Obama said he likes to know what he's talking about before he speaks. So, yet another reversal of the Bush policies." --Jay Leno

"Many people are complaining, though, that Obama is becoming too scripted. Last night, he was having an intimate moment with Michelle, and she said, 'Wait, are you reading the teleprompter?'" --Jimmy Fallon

"On '60 Minutes' the other night, if you saw the interview, reporter Steve Croft asked President Obama how he could laugh with all the financial trouble going on. And the President said it's necessary to have a measure of 'gallows humor to get you through the day.' You know why Obama likes gallows humor? It works much better for him than bowling humor." --Jay Leno

"After Barack Obama was on the show Thursday, I got a phone call from Joe Biden going, 'Wow, what was it like to talk to the President?'" --Jay Leno

"Did you see this on '60 Minutes' last night? Michelle Obama is planting a vegetable garden on the White House lawn. You know the economy's bad when the Obamas are afraid of running out of food." --Jimmy Fallon

"This morning, the first lady, Michelle Obama, celebrated spring by breaking ground on a new vegetable garden at the White House. She said she did it to help educate children about healthy, locally-grown food, and to help her own family survive the coming economic apocalypse." --Jimmy Kimmel

"We are very excited to have President Barack Obama on the show tonight. People think it's amazing that the President would take the time to leave Washington, DC, and fly 3,000 miles to come to California. But that happens to a lot of guys when their mother-in-law moves in with them." --Jay Leno

"No wonder Obama has gray hair. That was the big story in the paper yesterday, Obama has gray hair. Wow, now his hair isn't black enough." --Bill Maher

You forgot the one from Letterman about Palins's 14 year old daughter getting knocked up by Alex Rodriguez while she was visiting NY.

Must be a left coast joke because I don't see what's funny in that.

Frankie
06-14-2009, 06:15 PM
He reads well. Sometimes.

You are right. He appears to be very well-read.

mlyonsd
06-14-2009, 06:18 PM
You are right. He appears to be very well-read.

If you're talking about Obama it appears he has Marx down pat.

Thig Lyfe
06-14-2009, 06:19 PM
You forgot the one from Letterman about Palins's 14 year old daughter getting knocked up by Alex Rodriguez while she was visiting NY.

Confronted with overwhelming evidence contrary to a misinformed opinion? Change the topic to something else! YEAH!!!

Psyko Tek
06-14-2009, 06:50 PM

you knwo that can't be mde into that good of a joke

not likt fool me once ...and then going intro who lyrics

Obama will fuck up
and comedians will make fun off him

but for right now the man is golden

while the republican are acting like idiots

banyon
06-14-2009, 08:39 PM

That's a little bit of a distortion:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j5g8kE_g-YA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j5g8kE_g-YA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Direckshun
06-14-2009, 08:45 PM
Confronted with overwhelming evidence contrary to a misinformed opinion? Change the topic to something else!

Which just so happens to be another misinformed opinion!

Frankie
06-14-2009, 09:18 PM
If you're talking about Obama it appears he has Marx down pat.

There's nothing wrong about reading Marx either. Beats the coloring books Duhbya used to read.
:p

Pitt Gorilla
06-14-2009, 09:37 PM

Must be a left coast joke because I don't see what's funny in that.Wow, he specifically singled out her 14 year old daughter?

Nightwish
06-15-2009, 12:32 AM
Wow, he specifically singled out her 14 year old daughter?
No, he didn't. He was actually referring to her 18-year-old daughter, the one who made the news for getting knocked up. But he had confused which daughter had actually accompanied Palin on her trip to New York (or, at least, his joke writer confused the two), so to anyone who knew it was actually the 14-year-old who came to New York, it sounded as if he was talking about her. Honest mistake, I'd say, and Letterman clarified it a few days later once he became aware of the controversy.

mlyonsd
06-15-2009, 07:25 AM
That's a little bit of a distortion:

<EMBED src=http://www.youtube.com/v/j5g8kE_g-YA&hl=en&fs=1& width=425 height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

I don't think its a distortion at all. I think it's Letterman trying to cover his sorry ass.

The guy is the poster child for what this thread was intended for. I really hope Karma catches up with him on this one.

banyon
06-15-2009, 10:19 AM
I don't think its a distortion at all. I think it's Letterman trying to cover his sorry ass.

The guy is the poster child for what this thread was intended for. I really hope Karma catches up with him on this one.

did you watch the clip?

Amnorix
06-15-2009, 10:28 AM

Compared to Bushisms that we've lived with the last 8 years, I'll take umms.

Remember Gyno's showing patients their special kind of love? the hit parade of stupid quotables was endless.

mlyonsd
06-15-2009, 10:31 AM
did you watch the clip?

Yes I did.

If you're quibbling with the fact Letterman didn't name the daughter by name I'll quibble with the fact there was only one daughter in NY.

My "covering his ass" comment was aimed at his pathetic attempt to explain it.

Let me ask you this, if Letterman would have named Bristol Palin directly in the joke would it have been any funnier?

It was a liberal attempt at belittling Palin and her family. Period.

jjjayb
06-15-2009, 11:18 AM

How is he not? Uh, Uhm, uhm, uhhhhh, uhmmmm. I dare say he's flubbed just as many lines as Bush, yet we have an image of Obama as being the great speaker and Bush being an imbecile. Could it be because Obama's flubs aren't made into front page news and shown over and over at every opportunity? No no, it's because Bush is an idiot and Obama is perfect right? Keep your head in the sand.

Pitt Gorilla
06-15-2009, 11:18 AM
It was a bad joke. Period.FYP.

jjjayb
06-15-2009, 11:21 AM
They did make fun of all of that.

Teleprompter:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UVjNVPsL5EY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UVjNVPsL5EY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

You just made my point right there. It's not a joke about Obama overusing the teleprompter. It's a joke about people who complain about it. If this was a republican the joke would have actually been about the person using the teleprompter.

Frankie
06-15-2009, 11:44 AM

How is he not? Uh, Uhm, uhm, uhhhhh, uhmmmm. I dare say he's flubbed just as many lines as Bush.
ROFLROFLROFLROFL

The straws you guys are grabbing on to are getting smaller and smaller.

Frankie
06-15-2009, 11:46 AM
How is he not? Uh, Uhm, uhm, uhhhhh, uhmmmm. I dare say he's flubbed so far just as many lines as Bush, in a 5 minute agddress.

FYP.

jjjayb
06-15-2009, 12:20 PM
How is he not? Uh, Uhm, uhm, uhhhhh, uhmmmm. I dare say he's flubbed so far just as many lines as Bush, in a 5 minute agddress.

FYP.

This shows how powerful media is. Bush didn't flub nearly as many lines as perceived. I'm not saying he didn't flub lines, just that it wasn't nearly as bad as people perceive. That perception is easy to have when every time he did flub a line it was repeated constantly and continually on every news broadcast like it was actually big news.

Close your eyes and picture Bush giving a speech. What image did you have in your mind? Did you actually see Bush or did you see the caricature of him?

Media is powerful stuff.

Frankie
06-15-2009, 12:42 PM
This shows how powerful media is. Bush didn't flub nearly as many lines as perceived. I'm not saying he didn't flub lines, just that it wasn't nearly as bad as people perceive. That perception is easy to have when every time he did flub a line it was repeated constantly and continually on every news broadcast like it was actually big news.

Close your eyes and picture Bush giving a speech. What image did you have in your mind? Did you actually see Bush or did you see the caricature of him?

Media is powerful stuff.

If you say so.

banyon
06-15-2009, 04:59 PM
You just made my point right there. It's not a joke about Obama overusing the teleprompter. It's a joke about people who complain about it. If this was a republican the joke would have actually been about the person using the teleprompter.

I also included the jimmy fallon joke that you ignore in this post.

banyon
06-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Yes I did.

Let me ask you this, if Letterman would have named Bristol Palin directly in the joke would it have been any funnier?

It was a liberal attempt at belittling Palin and her family. Period.

It would make it less offensive since it would not be about a criminal act, so yes it would have been funnier.

ILChief
06-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Compared to Bushisms that we've lived with the last 8 years, I'll take umms.

Remember Gyno's showing patients their special kind of love? the hit parade of stupid quotables was endless.

Is our children learning?

ILChief
06-15-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm pretty sure Bill Clinton got roasted by Leno and Letterman every night (and still does occasionally). Bottom line when Obama provides material, they'll make jokes.

banyon
06-15-2009, 06:19 PM
Is our children learning?

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully."