PDA

View Full Version : Elections Supreme Court rules in favor of Dems in Ohio

dirk digler
10-17-2008, 10:26 AM
Bummer for the right

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D93SBC3O0&show_article=1

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Supreme Court is siding with Ohio's top elections official in a dispute with the state Republican Party over voter registrations. The justices on Friday overruled a federal appeals court that had ordered Ohio's top elections official to do more to help counties verify voter eligibility.

Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner, a Democrat, faced a deadline of Friday to set up a system to provide local officials with names of newly registered voters whose driver's license numbers or Social Security numbers on voter registration forms don't match records in other government databases.

Ohio Republicans contended the information for counties would help prevent fraud. Brunner said the GOP is trying to disenfranchise voters.

triple
10-17-2008, 10:36 AM
"set up a system to provide local officials with names of newly registered voters whose driver's license numbers or Social Security numbers on voter registration forms don't match records in other government databases.

... Brunner said the GOP is trying to disenfranchise voters. "

:rolleyes: yeah, making a basic check to ensure that this person is registered is just terrible.

dirk digler
10-17-2008, 10:48 AM
"set up a system to provide local officials with names of newly registered voters whose driver's license numbers or Social Security numbers on voter registration forms don't match records in other government databases.

... Brunner said the GOP is trying to disenfranchise voters. "

:rolleyes: yeah, making a basic check to ensure that this person is registered is just terrible.

It is a little karma since it was Ken Blackwell that disfranchised thousands of Ohio voters in 2004.

ROYC75
10-17-2008, 11:04 AM
First in ....... Cheaters ?

triple
10-17-2008, 11:11 AM
It is a little karma since it was Ken Blackwell that disfranchised thousands of Ohio voters in 2004.

karma, good justification for preserving the framework for systemic fraud.

tiptap
10-17-2008, 11:45 AM
So the SCOTUS used a per curiam decision. Does that mean the court was polled? It just chose to distance itself as far as possible from this election cycle by using a technicality?

Lawyers out there is this right.

dirk digler
10-17-2008, 11:48 AM
karma, good justification for preserving the framework for systemic fraud.

What comes around goes around

memyselfI
10-17-2008, 12:06 PM
From my understanding, the court did not rule on the merits of the actual case but on who can file it. Thus, this could get refiled and end up with a different outcome.

In addition, on a political level it would seem to protect the right to challenge the outcome of the vote based on voter fraud, IMO

Amnorix
10-17-2008, 12:09 PM
So the SCOTUS used a per curiam decision. Does that mean the court was polled? It just chose to distance itself as far as possible from this election cycle by using a technicality?

Lawyers out there is this right.

Per curiam certainly means that no justice signed off on the decision. It usually means that the decision is one that (1) was unanimous, and (2) wasn't worthy of full-blown written opinions. Generally all you get is a short ruling on the matter. It certainly CAN be used, however, to mask the individuals in the court involved with a particular decision.

Here, it seems that the Ohio GOP didn't have standing to challenge the situation, and the SCOTUS therefore issued a short "hey, sorry, due to a technicality that the stupid lower court missed, you unfortunately lose, not much else to say here" type ruling, from what I can tell.

WASHINGTON — The Supreme (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/17/supreme-courts-ohio-decis_n_135596.html#) Court sided Friday with Ohio's top elections official in a dispute with the state Republican Party over voter registrations.

The Justices (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/17/supreme-courts-ohio-decis_n_135596.html#) overruled a Federal appeals court that had ordered Ohio's top elections official to do more to help counties verify voter eligibility. Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner, a Democrat, faced a deadline of Friday to set up a system to provide local officials with names of newly registered voters whose driver's license numbers or Social (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/17/supreme-courts-ohio-decis_n_135596.html#) Security Numbers on voter registration forms don't match records in other government databases.

Ohio Republicans contended the information for counties would help prevent fraud. Brunner said the GOP is trying to disenfranchise voters. In a brief unsigned opinion, the justices said they were not commenting on whether Ohio is complying with a provision of the Help America Vote Act of 2002 that lays out requirements for verifying voter eligibility.

Instead, they said they were granting Brunner's request because it appears that the law does not allow private entities, like the Ohio GOP, to file suit to enforce the provision of the law at issue.

"They didn't deal with the merits of the case," said Ohio GOP Chairman Bob Bennett. "What they dealt with was a technicality on whether we had standing or not to bring the action."

About 200,000 of 666,000 voters who have registered in Ohio since Jan. 1 have records that don't match. Brunner has said the discrepancies most likely stem from innocent clerical errors rather than fraud but has set up a verification plan.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/17/supreme-courts-ohio-decis_n_135596.html

***SPRAYER
10-17-2008, 12:09 PM
That is an absolute outrage. I hope Stevens chokes on his tongue. F'n scumbag.

Amnorix
10-17-2008, 12:10 PM
From my understanding, the court did not rule on the merits of the actual case but on who can file it. Thus, this could get refiled and end up with a different outcome.

In addition, on a political level it would seem to protect the right to challenge the outcome of the vote based on voter fraud, IMO

Yes, but it can only get refiled by someone who actually has standing to sue. Not sure who that would be in this case. Perhaps an actual candidate?

Your second paragraph may be correct as that case would be brought by an actual candidate.

Amnorix
10-17-2008, 12:11 PM

Per curiam and without any filed dissent, from what I saw. Given that it was based on a technical point, it's entirely possible that it was unanimous. Per curiam decisions usually (though certainly not always) are.

***SPRAYER
10-17-2008, 12:12 PM
I cannot wait until the Dictator takes over. We are going to line these fuckers up against a wall.

noa
10-17-2008, 12:13 PM

That's the spirit.

J Diddy
10-17-2008, 12:13 PM
I cannot wait until the Dictator takes over. We are going to line these ****ers up against a wall.

I thought you were moving? Could you please move somewhere with no internet?

Mecca
10-17-2008, 12:15 PM
I thought you were moving? Could you please move somewhere with no internet?

I hear they don't have it any of McCains 7 houses.

J Diddy
10-17-2008, 12:21 PM
I hear they don't have it any of McCains 7 houses.

LOL

He probably does and the govt pays for it.

damn pork barrel spending

Amnorix
10-17-2008, 12:24 PM

Must BURN that he was appointed by Ford, hunh?

And I just looked it up -- he's 88 now. Incredible. What are the odds he would live so long with Bush in office the last 8 years?!

That's ok. If he does, Obama and a Democratic majority in the Senate will appoint his successor. Maybe we'll take a page from the Republican handbook and appoint someoen in his 40s instead of someone in their late 50s. After all, sitting in the SCOTUS for a LONG time is more important than talent and experience.

tiptap
10-17-2008, 12:24 PM
I understand they have very good mobile phone service. They just need a blackberry (or apple) and their set. So I don't think this is a good option. Maybe a little further out in the desert someplace.

Ultra Peanut
10-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Oh hey, so sorry your attempts to disenfranchise a huge number of voters didn't work out. Now you're free to go back to whining about ACORN as if they're a serious concern.

***SPRAYER
10-17-2008, 05:17 PM
Must BURN that he was appointed by Ford, hunh?

And I just looked it up -- he's 88 now. Incredible. What are the odds he would live so long with Bush in office the last 8 years?!

That's ok. If he does, Obama and a Democratic majority in the Senate will appoint his successor. Maybe we'll take a page from the Republican handbook and appoint someoen in his 40s instead of someone in their late 50s. After all, sitting in the SCOTUS for a LONG time is more important than talent and experience.

If there is any justice in this world, that POS will die tonight.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-17-2008, 05:22 PM
The Official Sponsor of the Republican Party in the 2008 Election:

http://www.mondaymorninginsight.com/images/uploads/Kleenex.jpg

Kleenex. Use to wipe up the tears from your incessant whining, and seed from your Palin circle-jerks.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-17-2008, 05:23 PM
If there is any justice in this world, that POS will die tonight.

Alright, now we're wishing death on Supreme Court Justices.

Stay classy, Republicans.

***SPRAYER
10-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Alright, now we're wishing death on Supreme Court Justices.

Stay classy, Republicans.

Stay classy? This coming from a left wing stooge. ROFL

Hey---

GO KILL YOURSELF.

Friggin' lowlife.

***SPRAYER
10-17-2008, 07:38 PM
The value of ones vote has never been lower. Which is fine, I'm not using mine anyway.

banyon
10-17-2008, 07:43 PM
The value of ones vote has never been lower. Which is fine, I'm not using mine anyway.

what does this mean?

***SPRAYER
10-17-2008, 07:44 PM
what does this mean?

It used to mean something. Not any more.

banyon
10-17-2008, 07:46 PM
It used to mean something. Not any more.

Why not? When did its efficacy expire?

***SPRAYER
10-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Why not? When did its efficacy expire?

What good is a vote that can be negated by an illegal vote?

banyon
10-17-2008, 07:50 PM
What good is a vote that can be negated by an illegal vote?

Where are these illegal votes you are suddenly concerned with?

***SPRAYER
10-17-2008, 07:54 PM

Your drooling defense of ACORN duly noted.

Bill Parcells
10-17-2008, 07:56 PM
Come on Banyon, are you fucking serious with this reply?

banyon
10-17-2008, 08:02 PM

So, much ado about nothing then?

banyon
10-17-2008, 08:03 PM
Come on Banyon, are you ****ing serious with this reply?

There's been no proof of voting fraud, just that some fraudulent registrations were passed along as ACORN was required to by law. ACORN doesn't work the polling places on election day.

This Social Security Idea was warped anyway. Are you guys really saying that the only people we can entrust our voting rights to is the organization who maintains a huge federal database and is not expected to be solvent in 30 years?

This is not to mention the huge numbers of married and remarried women who might be disenfranchised by this idea.

J Diddy
10-17-2008, 08:04 PM

Your drooling opposition of anything that could potentially harm your candidate is duly noted.

Bill Parcells
10-17-2008, 08:06 PM
There's been no proof of voting fraud, just that some fraudulent registrations were passed along as ACORN was required to by law. ACORN doesn't work the polling places on election day.

Why in the world would someone try and do any kind of fraudulent registrations? for what possible reason? :rolleyes:

Look, we don't know who is working the polling places, do you?

noa
10-17-2008, 08:06 PM

Exactly. Until someone shows up to vote as Mickey Mouse, there really isn't evidence of illegal voting.
If you wanted to rail on the value of your vote, you could also wonder why someone would bother voting for president in California, New York, or Texas since the outcomes in those states are inevitable. But all of the sudden ACORN is accused of something unrelated to actual voting, and he's worried about the value of his vote.

noa
10-17-2008, 08:07 PM
Why in the world would someone try and do any kind of fraudulent registrations? for what possible reason? :rolleyes:

They did the fraudulent registrations to get paid because they got paid per registration. Do you think people are actually going to show up at the polls and vote under those names? Mickey Mouse, etc.?

banyon
10-17-2008, 08:08 PM

Look, we don't know who is working the polling places, do you?

Because they were paid by the number of registration? That was what I heard. Why would they be so bald faced about it? "Mickey Mouse", etc.? They had to know that couldn't get through the polling place. Who was going to show up to claim that form on election day?

And yeah, I know who will work the polling places. It will be the same as every time I have voted: Really old people.

Bill Parcells
10-17-2008, 08:09 PM
They did the fraudulent registrations to get paid because they got paid per registration. Do you think people are actually going to show up at the polls and vote under those names? Mickey Mouse, etc.?

Like I said, who's gonna oversee the polls? can you tell me that someone isn't gonna wink at somebody named mickey mouse when you don't know who's overseeing that shit?

Bill Parcells
10-17-2008, 08:11 PM
Because they were paid by the number of registration? That was what I heard. Why would they be so bald faced about it? "Mickey Mouse", etc.? They had to know that couldn't get through the polling place. Who was going to show up to claim that form on election day?
Why would they allow the registration of it if it's so far fetched? really? who's gonna oversee this shit? you don't know, you're just assuming.

noa
10-17-2008, 08:11 PM
Like I said, who's gonna oversee the polls? can you tell me that someone isn't gonna wink at somebody named mickey mouse when you don't know who's overseeing that shit?

Well, if that's your concern, then ACORN isn't really the problem. If the system allowed for that, all types of fraud could occur from every direction.

Election laws are local, so there's no national standard for who oversees polls, but I'm farily certain no one would be stupid enough to allow someone named Mickey Mouse to vote. Every presidential election, I think between 10-20 people are caught fraudulently voting, and they go to jail for it.

noa
10-17-2008, 08:12 PM
Why would they allow the registration of it's so far fetched? really? who's gonna oversee this shit? you don't know, you're just assuming.

You're the one who is assuming that the entire system has been compromised because some idiots tried to steal some money from ACORN.

banyon

The Secretary of State in each state is responsible for overseeing elections.

J Diddy
Why would they allow the registration of it if it's so far fetched? really? who's gonna oversee this shit? you don't know, you're just assuming.

the same could be applied to you

Bill Parcells
10-17-2008, 08:13 PM
You're the one who is assuming that the entire system has been compromised because some idiots tried to steal some money from ACORN.
ACORN is the entity trying to compromise the system. so I can assume since Obama worked for them.
The Secretary of State in each state is responsible for overseeing elections.

Very well then, we shall see how this plays out.

noa
10-17-2008, 08:14 PM
ACORN

:spock:

I don't understand that response.

banyon
10-17-2008, 08:14 PM

They didn't "allow the registration" of it. They turned it over as they were required to by law. They usually even separated it into piles for the local county election boards into the "good" "okay" and "shitty" (i.e., "Mickey Mouse") piles for the boards' convenience. ACORN collects registrations. They are not authorized to actually register voters.

Bill Parcells
10-17-2008, 08:15 PM
the same could be applied to you

Thanks mr 2 cents, when you have a thought get back to me..mmmkay?

Bill Parcells
10-17-2008, 08:17 PM

I don't understand that response.
ROFL

I was buzzed and hit reply before I was done. sorry ;)
The didn't allow the registration of it. They turned it over as they were required to by law. They usually even separated it into piles for the local county election boards into the "good" "okay" and "shitty" (i.e., "Mickey Mouse") piles for the boards' convenience. ACORN collects registrations. They are not authorized to actually register voters.

Ah, well then I have been enlightened by Banyon. thanks! didn't know that!

penchief
10-17-2008, 08:19 PM
This is just another example of Republicans making claims that assist them in their attempts to suppress the vote. It has been well documented over the past eight years how they have tried to suppress the vote by conniving to purge voters from the rolls via various schemes, hype the threat of voter fraud in the run-up to elections without any evidence of fraud or any subsequent violations, and politicizing the Justice Department to act as an arm to intimidate states and voters through bogus prosecutions.

This is a successful tactic that they have used in the past and has been proven so far to have no basis in truth. Maybe it will this time but I highly doubt it considering the track-record. The truth is that the democratic ground game is superior to the republican ground game and new voter registration numbers favor democrats by large numbers. Recognizing the possibility of not only a defeat, but possibly a big defeat, the republican party's tactic of pre-emption is on full display in their attempts to discredit an Obama presidency before it even happens, if it were to happen.

alanm
10-17-2008, 08:20 PM
I wonder what's going to happen when states try to secede from the Union. Will the communist states invade with their armies?

noa
10-17-2008, 08:20 PM
ROFL

Cool man. Good times.

penchief
10-17-2008, 08:21 PM
I wonder what's going to happen when states try to secede from the Union. Will the communist states invade with their armies?

Ask Sarah. Maybe Alaska has a secret plan in place.

banyon
10-17-2008, 08:25 PM
ROFL

There's hope even for you, Bill! See? Obama brings hope to everyone, whether they want it or not! :D

banyon
10-17-2008, 08:26 PM

Todd Palin will lead them.

J Diddy
10-17-2008, 08:27 PM
Thanks mr 2 cents, when you have a thought get back to me..mmmkay?

Okay....

I have a thought.

You believe everything McCain's ads say.

ROYC75
10-18-2008, 01:26 AM
In other words, there goes the election........

PastorMikH
10-18-2008, 01:31 AM
So, when Gallup calls a republican he asks, "who will you be voting for?" When he calls a democrat he asks, "And how many times will you be voting for Obama?"

Logical
10-18-2008, 01:36 AM
Oh my goshes, now the Republicans appear to be unable to steal the elections through lawsuits.

tiptap
10-18-2008, 06:24 AM

I am for actually negotiating the release of Florida. Let's have a land exchange and move all those who are unhappy to Florida trade out to rest of country. And then let them secede and let them all drown when the ice cap melts.

***SPRAYER
10-18-2008, 06:38 AM
It's always been common knowledge that leftists don't care about right and wrong, and now it's confirmed.

You think you can keep pushing your agenda under those circumstances without consequences but your wrong.

There will be a backlash. There always is.

whoman69
10-18-2008, 07:38 AM
Oh my goshes, now the Republicans appear to be unable to steal the elections through lawsuits.

And with advanced voting their efforts to have only a few voting stations with really crappy systems in heavily populated black neighborhoods won't have as much impact. They also can't use the old trick to delete anyone who even has a name similar to a felon because they're not in power anymore in Ohio. They still have Florida though.

whoman69
10-18-2008, 07:39 AM

Since it was a decision without dissent, where is your outrage against Scalia, Roberts and Thomas?

PRIEST
10-18-2008, 08:09 AM
It's always been common knowledge that leftists don't care about right and wrong, and now it's confirmed.

You think you can keep pushing your agenda under those circumstances without consequences but your wrong.

Right wing tactics to suppress votes is illegal 200,000 votes ,Like the Backlash in Florida Jeb Bush the Governor with his Brother Running for President talk about scum . The right pulled that off just fine ,bunch of cry baby's

penchief
10-18-2008, 08:11 AM

You have the gall to say this kind of crap after your right wing fascists agenda has destroyed this country's economy and undermined our virtues by advocating for torture, domestic spying, unjustified military aggression, and attacks on our privacy and our civil liberties? What planet do you live on?

Get a grip, man.