PDA

View Full Version : Elections McCain conceding? CNN reporting McCain is giving up on Colorado, Iowa, and NM

dirk digler
10-20-2008, 04:24 PM
LMAO

Their whole strategy is winning Pennsylvania which right now they are down 12-15 points

LMAO

Is McCain inept?

HolmeZz
10-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Iowa and New Mexico I understand.

He's absolutely finished without Colorado. That's too many states he's forfeiting.

dirk digler
10-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Iowa and New Mexico I understand.

He's absolutely finished without Colorado. That's too many states he's forfeiting.

http://thepage.time.com/john-king-on-cnn/

They are depending on Pennsylvania and Nevada

HolmeZz
10-20-2008, 04:28 PM
They are depending on Pennsylvania and Nevada

And even with that, they'd still need Florida, Virginia, Missouri, Ohio, and North Carolina.

L.A. Chieffan
10-20-2008, 04:28 PM
I think he just wants more naps and jello.

dirk digler
10-20-2008, 04:29 PM
And even with that, they'd still need Florida, Virginia, Missouri, Ohio, and North Carolina.

I know LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO

dirk digler
10-20-2008, 04:41 PM
Says the campaign's "risky strategy" is counting on Florida, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Virginia, and a comeback in Pennsylvania.

In fact all of those states for McCain would be a comeback....

LMAO

LMAO

ClevelandBronco
10-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Yeah. That's why Sarah Palin made three stops in Colorado today.

dirk digler
10-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Yeah. That's why Sarah Palin made three stops in Colorado today.

I was curious about that too but they are down quite a bit but not near as bad as Pennsylvania.

Donger
10-20-2008, 04:46 PM
I doubt this.

dirk digler
10-20-2008, 04:49 PM
I doubt this.

Which part? Like Holmezz said I definitely can see Iowa and New Mexico where he is down big in both states but I can't believe they are done with Colorado.

Of course this is the same campaign that pulled out of Michigan being only 6 points down so it is probably credible

ClevelandBronco
10-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Which part? Like Holmezz said I definitely can see Iowa and New Mexico where he is down big in both states but I can't believe they are done with Colorado.

Of course this is the same campaign that pulled out of Michigan being only 6 points down so it is probably credible

So, despite proof that they're still working Colorado, you think this is credible.

You're definitely voting for the right guy.

Donger
10-20-2008, 04:52 PM

Colorado.

dirk digler
10-20-2008, 04:53 PM
So, despite proof that they're still working Colorado, you think this is credible.

You're definitely voting for the right guy.

They were still working in Michigan when they pulled out :doh!:

ClevelandBronco
10-20-2008, 04:56 PM
Hey, Dirk. Did you just call a political radio show to say that Colin Powell was the most presidential guy in the movie "W?"

HolmeZz
10-20-2008, 04:58 PM
I wonder if their internals are really bad, particularly amongst hispanics. Most of the polls I've seen have shown Obama trouncing him out west with hispanics.

dirk digler
10-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Hey, Dirk. Did you just call a political radio show to say that Colin Powell was the most presidential guy in the movie "W?"

Nope sorry. I don't listen to political radio and I haven't seen "W".

We will see if this is credible or not but they were in Michigan days before they pulled out.

That was a stupid decision and pulling out of Colorado would be a stupid decision.

Reaper16
10-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Why pull out of Colorado? Palin just spoke there today (speech on C-SPAN right now), confirming that McCain would balance the budget at end of 1st term.

Pitt Gorilla
10-20-2008, 05:16 PM
I noted a while back that he should pull out of Iowa.

ClevelandBronco
10-20-2008, 05:19 PM
I noted a while back that he should pull out of Iowa.

I forget. Which well known Republican strategist are you?

Pitt Gorilla
10-20-2008, 05:22 PM
I forget. Which well known Republican strategist are you?Your question makes little sense. I simply think McCain is making a smart move by not wasting his resources in Iowa. Is there a Republican strategist requirement to make such a statement?

ClevelandBronco
10-20-2008, 05:27 PM
Your question makes little sense. I simply think McCain is making a smart move by not wasting his resources in Iowa. Is there a Republican strategist requirement to make such a statement?

I was making fun of you. I think you understood that fully.

dirk digler
10-20-2008, 05:30 PM
The McCain camp is not disputing the report

Response from McCain aide Hazelbaker: "We see the race tightening both internally and in public polling. We are within striking distance in the key battleground states we need to win."

dirk digler
10-21-2008, 06:20 AM
McCain camp pushes back on report they're losing hope in CO

John McCain's campaign tonight sought to tamp down a report (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/10/20/mccain-camp-looking-for-way-to-win-without-colorado/) by CNN's John King that they're looking for a path to victory that doesn't include Iowa, New Mexico and Colorado -- all states won by President Bush in 2004.

As King noted, many observers, including Republicans, have long been skeptical of McCain's prospects in New Mexico and Iowa. But Colorado was considered as something of a must-win for McCain to have any chance of winning the presidency.

Two senior aides didn't deny that Colorado appeared challenging, but pointed to the two key indicators of any campaign's intent, time and money, to make the case that they were still holding out hopethere.

"We didn't send Gov. Palin there for no reason," said one, a reference to the vice presidential nominee's three rallies across the state today.

Another aide pointed out that the campaign and RNC's independent expenditure committee were both still on the airwaves there

"The combined reported spending of the RNC IE and the campaign is very similar, we trail by very small margins (around $500,000) ."

But McCain aides avoided making firm commitments about Colorado, careful to avoid portraying any state as a must-win.

The campaign believes that there are different formulas to get to 270, not all of which include Colorado. But without it, as King writes, McCain must not only hold onto a number of precarious red states such as Virginia, Nevada and Florida, but also bring a major blue state such as Pennsylvania and its 21 electoral votes over. McCain aides have also held out hope that they could lose Pennsylvania but still win with the combination of Minnesota and Wisconsin, 20 total electoral votes, but public polls in both states show McCain down by double-digits.

whoman69
10-21-2008, 07:44 AM
Right now the only strategy they can use is to try to not make this a landslide. Obama is in strong position to get 350 electoral votes. States like Georgia, Montana and North Dakota start slipping away and this could become a rout.

BigRedChief
10-21-2008, 07:53 AM
McCain has to turn Pennsylvania Blue. John frigging Kerry won Pennsylvania. Then he has to win every single one of these...Missouri, Virgina, North Carolina, Colorado, New Mexico, Florida and Ohio

Plus hold onto all his red states.

Amnorix
10-21-2008, 10:22 AM
Why pull out of Colorado? Palin just spoke there today (speech on C-SPAN right now), confirming that McCain would balance the budget at end of 1st term.

Tell me that's a joke. I hate seeing politicans state obviously ridiculous lies.

mlyonsd
10-21-2008, 10:30 AM
Tell me that's a joke. I hate seeing politicans state obviously ridiculous lies.

Like Obama saying he'd reduce income tax for 95% of taxpayers?

chagrin
10-21-2008, 10:32 AM
It's pretty much over for him anyway; any confidence I had in John McCain went away when he chose Palin, and he has no idea how to run a campaign

BigRedChief
10-21-2008, 10:42 AM
It's pretty much over for him anyway; any confidence I had in John McCain went away when he chose Palin, and he has no idea how to run a campaign
No kidding.

A presidential run does produce a lot of vetting with how they organize, time manage, set tone, work with others to build coalitions, able to take some heat and negative crap thrown at you from all angles. Raise, spend and manage a budget etc.

Carlota69
10-21-2008, 11:55 AM
Mccain is getting outspent like crazy here in Vegas. On my radio station alone, Obama is running commercials every hour, sometimes twice an hour. We have not aired one McCain ad--not one. And we would be a demographic McCain would want--men 25-54. Also, on TV, it is almost all Obama. I've seen maybe a few McCain ads, and they were all attack ads. OTH, Obama has been running massive TV ads, mostly about his issues and ideas with a few ads slamming McCain. McCain might in trouble in this state as well.

RJ
10-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Mccain is getting outspent like crazy here in Vegas. On my radio station alone, Obama is running commercials every hour, sometimes twice an hour. We have not aired one McCain ad--not one. And we would be a demographic McCain would want--men 25-54. Also, on TV, it is almost all Obama. I've seen maybe a few McCain ads, and they were all attack ads. OTH, Obama has been running massive TV ads, mostly about his issues and ideas with a few ads slamming McCain. McCain might in trouble in this state as well.

Same here in NM. Way more ads for Obama and most of them never even mention McCain. Far less ads for McCain and almost all of them focus on Obama.

SNR
10-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Wow. Is he losing Arizona, too? ROFL

Carlota69
10-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Same here in NM. Way more ads for Obama and most of them never even mention McCain. Far less ads for McCain and almost all of them focus on Obama.

I havent seen one McCain ad that didnt focus on Obama. Not one. although, I have seen obama do a little mudslinging himself, I've seen way more ads just him talking about the ecomomy and the war in Iraq. Not a mention of Mccain.

As far as AZ is concerned---I imagine he's winning, but it is funny since both states sandwich AZ.

RJ
10-22-2008, 09:19 AM
http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/10/mccain-brings-hope-to-pennsylvania.html

There had been some pushback from McCain operatives about whether the Republican in fact intended to concede Colorado, as CNN had reported yesterday. In politics, however, money speaks louder than words, and the New York Times is now reporting that McCain may not spend further advertising monies in Colorado, as well as four states won by John Kerry in 2004:

Democrats who monitor advertising spending now put at five the number of states where Senator John McCain is reducing his advertising – New Hampshire, Wisconsin, Colorado, Maine and Minnesota.

In essence, Mr. McCain’s campaign has decided to spread the advertising time he bought for the upcoming week in those states over the next two final weeks.

While station managers in the affected states said they were not ruling out the possibility that Mr. McCain would pump money back in before election day, on Nov. 4, the move represents a stark reordering of priorities.

Democrats were predicting Mr. McCain would use the savings to increase his advertising in Pennsylvania and, possibly, Ohio and Florida, all of which have become that much more vital should Mr. McCain have to concede states like Colorado and Wisconsin...........

RINGLEADER
10-22-2008, 11:04 AM
Yeah, it's too bad that Obama doesn't practice what he preaches and spread his wealth around so the election can be more fair.

;)

Pitt Gorilla
10-22-2008, 11:06 AM
It's pretty much over for him anyway; any confidence I had in John McCain went away when he chose Palin, and he has no idea how to run a campaignPalin was the final straw for me as well.

jAZ
10-22-2008, 11:06 AM
Yeah, it's too bad that Obama doesn't practice what he preaches and spread his wealth around so the election can be more fair.

;)

Do you expect McCain voters to mail back their $1000 tax credits and pay taxes on their health insurance?

RINGLEADER
10-22-2008, 11:12 AM
Do you expect McCain voters to mail back their $1000 tax credits and pay taxes on their health insurance?

It was a joke jAZ. Find your sense of humor man!

But since you bring it up I would wager you that any changes in the health care system that are enacted by either candidate will neither fix the system or change the level of services in any appreciable way.

Pitt Gorilla
10-22-2008, 11:13 AM

But since you bring it up I would wager you that any changes in the health care system that are enacted by either candidate will neither fix the system or change the level of services in any appreciable way.I hope that is true.

jAZ
10-22-2008, 11:15 AM

But since you bring it up I would wager you that any changes in the health care system that are enacted by either candidate will neither fix the system or change the level of services in any appreciable way.
Sorry, I know that.

I just had that turn-about thought occur to me the other day, and your comment was just the first time I had a chance to use it.

Couldn't let it pass. :p

It's been a while since someone (you in 2004?) said "if liberals really want to pay more taxes, they should just pay them once they lose".

jAZ
10-22-2008, 11:18 AM

The only way that would hold true for Obama is if his plan is handstrung by lack of legislative support or economic limitations.