PDA

View Full Version : Elections Obaama cancels all Thrusday and Friday events to be with his dying Grandma

BigRedChief
10-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Flying back to Hawaii to by his Grandmothers side thats been released from the hospital to go home to die.

Mr. Laz
10-20-2008, 06:53 PM
too bad for the family

BigRedChief
10-20-2008, 06:57 PM
http://i.usatoday.net/news/_photos/2008/04/08/dunham-topper.jpg
Family precedent: Obama's grandmother blazed trails
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>swapContent('firstHeader','applyHeader');</SCRIPT><!--endclickprintexclude--><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>var storyURL = "http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-04-07-obamagrandma_N.htm";var storyTitle = "Family precedent: Obama's grandmother blazed trails";</SCRIPT><!-- EdSysObj ID="SSI-A" FRAGMENTID="30348882" mharzall --><!--startclickprintexclude--><!-- Top Social Buttons --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>var yahooBuzzArticleId = 'usatoday:'+storyURL+'?csp=34';var yahooBuzzBadgeType = 'text';var sclListTop = "";sclListTop +='';sclListTop +='
';sclListTop +='
';sclListTop +='http://i.usatoday.net/_common/_images/_bugs/mixx.gif (http://mixx.com/submit/story?page_url='+storyURL+'&partner=usat)

';sclListTop +='http://i.usatoday.net/_common/_images/_bugs/owts.gif

';sclListTop +='
<!-- this element will be replaced -->';sclListTop +='
Digg (http://digg.com/submit?phase=2&url='+storyURL+'&title='+storyTitle+'&topic=)';//sclListTop +='
del.icio.us (http://del.icio.us/post?v=4&partner=usatoday&noui&jump=close&url='+storyURL+'&title='+storyTitle+')';sclListTop +='
Newsvine (http://www.newsvine.com/_wine/save?aff=usatoday&u='+storyURL+'&h='+storyTitle+'&t=)';sclListTop +='
Reddit (http://reddit.com/submit?url='+storyURL+'&title='+storyTitle+')';sclListTop +='
Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u='+storyURL+'&title='+storyTitle+')';sclListTop +='
What\'s this? (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/#open-share-help)';sclListTop +='';sclListTop +='';sclListTop +='
';sclListTop +='
';document.write(sclListTop);</SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://d.yimg.com/ds/badge.js" ____yb="1"></SCRIPT><!--endclickprintexclude--><!-- /EdSysObj -->By Dan Nakaso, USA TODAY
HONOLULU — Barack Obama's trailblazing effort to become the nation's first black president has a family precedent.
Madelyn Dunham, Obama's grandmother, blazed a feminist trail in Hawaii banking circles in the late 1960s and early 1970s and rose to become one of the Bank of Hawaii's first female vice presidents.

Durham, now 85 and living in Honolulu along with her granddaughter and Obama's half-sister, Maya Soetoro-Ng, had two obstacles to overcome in Hawaii at the time — being a woman and being part of the state's white minority.
"Was she ambitious? She had to be to become a vice president," said Clifford Y.J. Kong, 82, who was a senior credit officer at the bank at the time. "She was a top-notch executive to get appointed. It was a tough world."

Ultra Peanut
10-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Man, that's sad.

BigRedChief
10-20-2008, 07:07 PM
I tell ya this says a lot about more positive things about the mans charector more than any McCain robocall can smear.

RJ
10-20-2008, 07:07 PM
Hopefully she hangs on long enough to see her grandson elected President.

Ultra Peanut
10-20-2008, 07:08 PM
I tell ya this says a lot about more positive things about the mans charector more than any McCain robocall can smear.HEY! I SUSPENDED MY CAMPAIGN, TOO!

BigRedChief
10-20-2008, 07:11 PM
He's not allowing the media to travel with him. He will only allow a pool reporter and crew thats it.

BigRedChief
10-20-2008, 07:14 PM
Michelle Obama and other high profile figures will take his place at rallies.

HMc
10-20-2008, 07:20 PM
anyone want to have a stab at how the Repubs will spin this negatively?

OMFG GRANDMA IS THE LEADER OF THE SLEEPER CELL HE'S GOING TO GET HIS ORDERS

StcChief
10-20-2008, 07:22 PM
how do you pull SS duty in Hawaii....

memyselfI
10-20-2008, 07:22 PM
I'm sorry to hear this. It's a shame she might not be alive to see him win or lose. Whatever happens, she may not make it to the resolution. That is sad for the both of them, I'm sure.

BigRedChief
10-20-2008, 07:24 PM
Hopefully she hangs on long enough to see her grandson elected President.
Man this tells you how much of a difference she made in his life. Just the fact that at this moment in time and history he takes a couple of days off to honor her and say goodbye.

RJ
10-20-2008, 07:24 PM
how do you pull SS duty in Hawaii....

What is SS?

StcChief
10-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Security duty. Secret Service... (not that he deserves any)

memyselfI
10-20-2008, 07:29 PM
On a practical note, he'll be in HI in case he's needed to address that emergency writ that was filed last week asking the HI Supreme Court to open his birth records.

RJ
10-20-2008, 07:31 PM
Security duty. Secret Service... (not that he deserves any)

Ok, thanks.

Why not in Hawaii and why does OB not deserve any? I thought they got that automatically.

chiefforlife
10-20-2008, 07:31 PM
I'm sorry to hear this. It's a shame she might not be alive to see him win or lose. Whatever happens, she may not make it to the resolution. That is sad for the both of them, I'm sure.

You are human?

memyselfI
10-20-2008, 07:33 PM
You are human?

Just sayin. It's a shame she may not see him make history.

Nothing controversial about that.

Donger
10-20-2008, 07:38 PM
On a practical note, he'll be in HI in case he's needed to address that emergency writ that was filed last week asking the HI Supreme Court to open his birth records.

What's that?

Mr. Laz
10-20-2008, 07:40 PM
you're such a bitch

Thig Lyfe
10-20-2008, 07:42 PM
I don't want to encourage anybody, but I'm just going to point out that I'm surprised I haven't seen "Obaama" used as one of those anti-clever name puns yet. You know, because anybody who could ever even for a moment consider voting for Obama is a sheep.

Obaaaaaaaaaama.

memyselfI
10-20-2008, 07:42 PM
What's that?

PM me.

This isn't the thread to further discuss this particular issue. I was just making the observation that the timing of his trip is quite practical if he's needed to address that issue seeing they will be in the same location around the same time.

Donger
10-20-2008, 07:44 PM
PM me.

This isn't the thread to further discuss this particular issue. I was just making the observation that the timing of his trip is quite practical if he's needed to address that issue seeing they will be in the same location around the same time.

No.

dirk digler
10-20-2008, 07:55 PM
My heart goes out to Barack and his grandmother.

Mr. Laz
10-20-2008, 08:00 PM
I don't want to encourage anybody, but I'm just going to point out that I'm surprised I haven't seen "Obaama" used as one of those anti-clever name puns yet. You know, because anybody who could ever even for a moment consider voting for Obama is a sheep.

Obaaaaaaaaaama.
and this thread is the right place for this, you idiot?!

Ultra Peanut
10-20-2008, 08:03 PM
No.LMAO

Thig Lyfe
10-20-2008, 08:07 PM
and this thread is the right place for this, you idiot?!

I guess not. I'm certainly fond of this decision and feel for him in this difficult time. It's just that the "Obaama" typo caught my eye.

Sorry for violating the sanctity of the thread.

Donger
10-20-2008, 08:14 PM
How old is said Grandmother? She's got to be pushing 90.

RJ
10-20-2008, 08:15 PM
No.

Go ahead. Who would know?

Donger
10-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Go ahead. Who would know?

Me.

dirk digler
10-20-2008, 08:34 PM
How old is said Grandmother? She's got to be pushing 90.

She is 85 I believe

RJ
10-20-2008, 08:35 PM
Me.

Good for you.

Integrity matters.

That's why I'm voting for Obama.

SBK
10-20-2008, 08:37 PM
What bad timing, at least he's able to spend time with her on her last days. Although death is a part of life, it still sucks for everyone.

Wa-Z
10-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Everything Obama does is awesome.

Hope she gets to be there when he wins.

BigRedChief
10-20-2008, 09:00 PM

Obaaaaaaaaaama.
Not cool dude:shake:

BigRedChief
10-20-2008, 09:01 PM
PM me.

I'm begining to see why a lot of people dislike you.:shake:

Logical
10-20-2008, 09:09 PM
What bad timing, at least he's able to spend time with her on her last days. Although death is a part of life, it still sucks for everyone.Respect, nice post and I think almost all would agree, this is a sad time for Barack.

jAZ
10-20-2008, 09:19 PM
"Another eliteist vaction..." in 3... 2... 1...

jAZ
10-20-2008, 09:19 PM
"Why didn't he say until her death..." in 6...5...4...3...2...1.

jAZ
10-20-2008, 09:21 PM
You really are a piece of garbage, aren't you?

SBK
10-20-2008, 09:22 PM
jAZ will be along soon with some ignorant and completely wrong post soon....

Oh, wait, nevermind.

wazu
10-20-2008, 09:48 PM
Is this the same grandma he threw under the bus as a racist earlier this year?

jAZ
10-20-2008, 09:52 PM
jAZ will be along soon with some ignorant and completely wrong post soon....

Oh, wait, nevermind.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200808100001

Cokie Roberts on ABC's This Week (8/10/08): "...going off this week to a vacation in Hawaii does not make any sense whatsoever. I know his grandmother lives in Hawaii and I know Hawaii is a state, but it has the look of him going off to some sort of foreign, exotic place. He should be in Myrtle Beach, and, you know, if he's going to take a vacation at this time.

RJ
10-20-2008, 09:52 PM

Damn dude, I wouldn't have expected that from you.

Or is your memory just bad?

J Diddy
10-20-2008, 11:07 PM

yeah because lawyers couldn't handle that

Guru
10-20-2008, 11:15 PM
Sad for him. Hope only the best for the family.

Taco John
10-20-2008, 11:40 PM

Wow, your Rovian transformation is complete.

I can't believe that you'd turn a thread about his dying grandmother into a political smear thread.

Taco John
10-20-2008, 11:43 PM

He didn't really do that. This is nothing but unfair political smear.

I live in a mixed race family who knows what Obama was trying to say. It's a very difficult subject, and the fact that partisains have stolen this issue to try and say Obama threw her under the bus is a disgrace.

You really shouldn't participate in such ugliness. You're much better than that.

ClevelandBronco
10-20-2008, 11:44 PM
I doubt the guy is a member here.

The chances of offending him are pretty slim.

Yes, it's a sad situation.

DaneMcCloud
10-20-2008, 11:44 PM
No.

:clap:

triple
10-20-2008, 11:55 PM
He didn't really do that. This is nothing but unfair political smear.

I live in a mixed race family who knows what Obama was trying to say. It's a very difficult subject, and the fact that partisains have stolen this issue to try and say Obama threw her under the bus is a disgrace.

You really shouldn't participate in such ugliness. You're much better than that.

What he said was:

"I can no more disown [Rev. Wright] than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother - a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe."

Senator Barack Obama
A More Perfect Union Speech
March 18, 2008

I know people who are racists. Most of them are just ignorant. They aren't for the most part the hate filled, resenting, acting out on racism types. They just harbor inferior stereotypes of black people out of never having been around any. Ignorance doesn't need to be fanned to spread, it spreads by default because people are stupid by default until they learn otherwise.

They would sometimes utter racial and ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe. Were they bad people all in all? I don't think so. Were they racists? Absolutely.

I don't see how you can be white and utter racial stereotypes and avoid being called racist.

I think Obama called his grandmother a racist and meant it and he shouldn't have backpedaled. It doesn't mean we shouldn't sympathize with her illness. Maybe she grew out of it with time. The country has come a long way since the 60s.

dirk digler
10-21-2008, 06:19 AM

I expected better of you Adam.

memyselfI
10-21-2008, 06:27 AM
Wow, your Rovian transformation is complete.

I can't believe that you'd turn a thread about his dying grandmother into a political smear thread.

:deevee::deevee:

It is not a political smear to point out that he will be in HI and close at hand to deal with an emergency writ that was just filed. Was I supposed to make a new thread to make that point?

Yes, he's got lawyers to handle this but if this is serious then would you want communication between he and his lawyers done over email or the telephone?

On another note, I think I'd go ASAP if I were worried about seeing a dying relative. :spock:

BigRedChief
10-21-2008, 06:34 AM
:deevee::deevee:

It is not a political smear to point out that he will be in HI and close at hand to deal with an emergency writ that was just filed. Was I supposed to make a new thread to make that point?

Yes, he's got lawyers to handle this but if this is serious then would you want communication between he and his lawyers done over email or the telephone?

On another note, I think I'd go ASAP if I were worried about seeing a dying relative. :spock:
You just can't let your smear negativity go for even one thread?

His Grandma is dying and its just an excuse to monitor a court case in Hawaii?

memyselfI
10-21-2008, 06:58 AM
You just can't let your smear negativity go for even one thread?

His Grandma is dying and its just an excuse to monitor a court case in Hawaii?

Just pointing out the timing is practical. Insert your own intent.

BigRedChief
10-21-2008, 07:50 AM
The New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/21/us/politics/21campaign.html?_r=1&ref=politics&oref=slogin)reports on Obama decision to jump off the campaign trail on Thursday and Friday to visit his gravely ill grandmother in Hawaii. “Mr. Obama’s grandmother, Madelyn Dunham, 85, all but raised him from age 10 until he left for college, and he spoke of her at the Democrats’ convention in Denver.

His parents are dead. ‘Everyone understands that the decision that Senator Obama is making to go to Hawaii underscores the seriousness of his situation,’ said his spokesman, Robert Gibbs. ‘As he has said, she poured everything she had into him.’”

Cannibal
10-21-2008, 08:01 AM
I'm surprised KCJohnny hasn't chimed in on this thread with some kind Christianly words about this being a sad situation and god being with BO's grandmother or something. Seems to me that is what most minister's of faith would do in a situation like this regardless of political leanings.

triple
10-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Relative says Obama's grandmother has broken hip
By ALLEN G. BREED
AP National Writer

Barack Obama's 85-year-old grandmother broke her hip recently and is "gravely ill," her brother said Tuesday.

Madelyn Payne Dunham, who helped to raise Obama, "has not been well for a long time. Then she fell and broke her hip fairly recently," Charles Payne said in a telephone interview from his home in Chicago. "She's unhappy with the condition that she's in, I can tell you that."

Payne, who is Obama's great-uncle, said his sister was hospitalized briefly but is back home in her Honolulu apartment, where Obama's sister, Maya Soetoro-Ng, cares for her. Obama plans to suspend campaigning later this week to visit his grandmother, and Payne is planning to fly there for her 86th birthday, which is Sunday.

Payne, 83, said he spoke to his sister briefly on Monday.

"We had a short and as upbeat as possible conversation," said Payne, a retired university library administrator. "She hated the hospital."

Payne did not know which hip she broke. He said she had previously had a hip replacement, but he could not recall on which side.

Payne said the two talked about family matters, but he declined to elaborate. He said they did not discuss the Illinois senator's campaign.

Payne declined to speculate on whether his sister had the strength to see her grandson through the election on Nov. 4.

"I think, of course, it's been terribly important to her," he said. "And she would like nothing better than to see that."

In a campaign ad this year, Obama described Dunham as the daughter of a Midwest oil company clerk who "taught me values straight from the Kansas heartland" - things like "accountability and self-reliance. Love of country. Working hard without making excuses. Treating your neighbor as you'd like to be treated."

Obama recognized Dunham when he accepted the Democratic presidential nomination at the party's convention in Denver.

"She's the one who taught me about hard work. She's the one who put off buying a new car or a new dress for herself so that I could have a better life. She poured everything she had into me," he said.

Obama last visited Hawaii in August for a week's vacation after he clinched the nomination.

dirk digler
10-21-2008, 11:13 AM
My 94 year old grandma broke her hip, had it surgically replaced and then while in the hospital got a staph infection in the hip and died a month or so later.

She basically raised me and I miss her every day.

RJ
10-21-2008, 11:19 AM
My great great grandmother died at 96. Broke her hip and got pneumonia. Everyone thought sure she'd make it to the century mark.

BigRedChief
10-22-2008, 07:37 AM
"She poured everything she had into me." — Barack Obama

Barack Obama has said that his biggest mistake was not being at his mother's side when she died of cancer in Hawaii in 1995 at the age of 52. His first book, Dreams from My Father, had come out only four months before, and he was starting his first campaign, for the Illinois state senate. Her death came quickly, and he didn't make it back in time.

So it makes sense that now he would do things differently. Just two weeks before Election Day, Obama has decided to leave his campaign to be by his grandmother's side in Honolulu for two days later this week. Madelyn Dunham, 86, is gravely ill, although the campaign has not released details about her condition. Dunham is Obama's last living parental figure, and by his own accounts, she played as big a role in his upbringing as his mother did (http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1729524,00.html).

(See photos of Obama's extended family here. (http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1834628_1754174,00.html))
In fact, since Dunham has declined to do interviews since the campaign began, most of what we know about her is from Obama himself, who referenced her in two of the most important speeches of his career.
On March 18 in Philadelphia, Obama attempted to defend his relationship with his former pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, by talking about another complicated relationship: "I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother — a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed her by on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe."

Then this summer, Obama talked about his grandmother again when he accepted his party's nomination in Denver. "She's the one who taught me about hard work. She's the one who put off buying a new car or a new dress for herself so that I could have a better life. She poured everything she had into me. And although she can no longer travel, I know that she's watching tonight, and that tonight is her night as well."

<!--pagebreak-->Obama never really knew his biological father, who died in a car crash in Kenya in 1982, and his grandfather died in 1992, three years before his mother. But Obama's grandmother has always been there. She took care of Obama when he was 10 and returned to Hawaii to attend school while his mother spent a few years continuing her anthropological research in Indonesia. At the time, his grandparents helped Obama get a scholarship to Punahou, an Úlite prep school on the island. All three of them lived in a small, two-bedroom apartment on Beretania Street in Honolulu.

Dunham's nickname in the family was Toot, short for Tutu, which means "Grandparent" in Hawaiian. Her role as the family rock predated Obama. She had her first and only child, Obama's mother, when she was 20 and living in Kansas. Her husband had wanted a boy, so they named the girl Stanley, after him. Over the next two decades, Dunham moved at least five times — always in pursuit of her husband's next adventure as a salesman. They went to California, Texas, Washington and finally settled in Hawaii.

Obama's birth does not appear to have been planned. His mother and father met at the University of Hawaii and got married when she was already pregnant. To help provide for the new baby, Obama's grandmother, who did not have a college degree, got a job as a secretary at a bank. For more than two decades, she got up at 5 a.m., put on a suit and took the bus to work, arriving first at the office. Eventually — and much more slowly than her male counterparts — she advanced and was promoted to vice president. She earned more money than her husband, and her job became a "source of delicacy and bitterness" for the couple, Obama wrote in Dreams.

Dunham was motivated by "the needs of her grandchildren and the stoicism of her ancestors," he wrote. "So long as you kids do well, Bar," she would tell him, "that's all that really matters."

Since the campaign began, Dunham has watched her grandson on TV from her apartment, avidly following his campaign. This week, for two days at least, the candidate will come to watch her.