PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Palin: "Vice President is in charge of US Senate"

HolmeZz
10-21-2008, 04:39 PM
This might be her 'potatoe' moment. A 3rd grader asks her what the role of the VP is and she botches it brutally.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/09yG8X5RbZI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/09yG8X5RbZI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

How the hell does she STILL not understand the office she's running for?

kstater
10-21-2008, 04:41 PM
ROFL

Bowser
10-21-2008, 04:41 PM
That physically hurt to listen to that. Jesus.

PRIEST
10-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Between this dumb ass ,Joe the plumber , Robin the School bus driver ,Bob the fuggin builder. A bad episode of romper room :shake:

Donger
10-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Meh. She was responding to a 3rd grader. Was she supposed to go into what the President of the Senate does?

Calcountry
10-21-2008, 04:47 PM
Meh. She was responding to a 3rd grader. Was she supposed to go into what the President of the Senate does?

LMAO

Donger
10-21-2008, 04:49 PM
That being said, WFT is with the red, leather jacket?

Bowser
10-21-2008, 04:51 PM

She's a child of the 80's. I bet she feathers her hair when she lets it down while listening to Whitesnake.

Donger
10-21-2008, 04:51 PM
She's a child of the 80's. I bet she feathers her hair when she lets it down while listening to Whitesnake.

ROFL

A belts. Lots and lots of belts.

DaneMcCloud
10-21-2008, 04:56 PM

Well for starters, she could have explained the question clearly, concisely and accurately to a 9 year-old elementary student.

If the nominee for VP of the USA can't do that, I don't think that bodes well for adult questions and conversations.

Do you?

Donger
10-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Well for starters, she could have explained the question clearly, concisely and accurately to a 9 year-old elementary student.

If the nominee for VP of the USA can't do that, I don't think that bodes well for adult questions and conversations.

Do you?

Listen to the way she was speaking. She was speaking directly to the child. When I explain what I do for a living to my kids, I probably sound like a retart.

DaneMcCloud
10-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Listen to the way she was speaking. She was speaking directly to the child. When I explain what I do for a living to my kids, I probably sound like a retart.

Probably?

:D

j/k

HolmeZz
10-21-2008, 05:00 PM

It's not how she sounded. It's that she described the position completely inaccurately. Completely.

Mecca
10-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Apparently she still hasn't found out what the VP does.

RJ
10-21-2008, 05:04 PM
Apparently she still hasn't found out what the VP does.

Hopefully she will never need to know.

Mecca
10-21-2008, 05:05 PM

Can you explain to me why she stole Michael Jacksons beat it jacket? Is she going to wear one glove also?

PRIEST
10-21-2008, 05:05 PM

Exactly

:D

Donger
10-21-2008, 05:16 PM
It's not how she sounded. It's that she described the position completely inaccurately. Completely.

Again, was she responding to a child. She is in charge of the Senate in the event of a tie vote.

I suppose "bucket of warm spit" would have been a better answer?

Come on.

BigMeatballDave
10-21-2008, 05:23 PM
It's not how she sounded. It's that she described the position completely inaccurately. Completely.You don't have children, do you.

BigMeatballDave
10-21-2008, 05:25 PM
Had Biden been asked to do this, he would have done the very same thing. Retards.

RJ
10-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Can you explain to me why she stole Michael Jacksons beat it jacket? Is she going to wear one glove also?

I'm betting she's wearing a leather mini skirt and heels with that.

Adept Havelock
10-21-2008, 05:37 PM
It appears she thinks the office is responsible for far more than tie-breaking, according to this statement from the debates:

IFILL: Governor, you mentioned a moment ago the constitution might give the vice president more power than it has in the past. Do you believe as Vice President Cheney does, that the Executive Branch does not hold complete sway over the office of the vice presidency, that it it is also a member of the Legislative Branch?

PALIN: Well, our founding fathers were very wise there in allowing through the Constitution much flexibility there in the office of the vice president. And we will do what is best for the American people in tapping into that position and ushering in an agenda that is supportive and cooperative with the president's agenda in that position. Yeah, so I do agree with him that we have a lot of flexibility in there, and we'll do what we have to do to administer very appropriately the plans that are needed for this nation.

"Much flexibility there in the office of the vice president?" Another Cheney approach? Feh.

Donger
10-21-2008, 05:38 PM
It appears she thinks the office is responsible for far more than tie-breaking, according to this statement from the debates:

IFILL: Governor, you mentioned a moment ago the constitution might give the vice president more power than it has in the past. Do you believe as Vice President Cheney does, that the Executive Branch does not hold complete sway over the office of the vice presidency, that it it is also a member of the Legislative Branch?

PALIN: Well, our founding fathers were very wise there in allowing through the Constitution much flexibility there in the office of the vice president. And we will do what is best for the American people in tapping into that position and ushering in an agenda that is supportive and cooperative with the president's agenda in that position. Yeah, so I do agree with him that we have a lot of flexibility in there, and we'll do what we have to do to administer very appropriately the plans that are needed for this nation.

"Much flexibility there in the office of the vice president?" Another Cheney approach? Feh.

Well, she's right. She can vote in the legislative branch directly. POTUS can't.

Adept Havelock
10-21-2008, 05:40 PM
Well, she's right. She can vote in the legislative branch directly. POTUS can't.

She can (if elected), under very limited circumstances.

Which article of the Constitution defines the office of the Vice President?

Which branch of the government does that article address?

:shrug:

I repeat: Another Cheney approach? Feh.

Donger
10-21-2008, 05:44 PM
She can (if elected), under very limited circumstances.

Which article of the Constitution defines the office of the Vice President?

Which branch of the government does that article address?

Article 1, Section 3?

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-21-2008, 06:03 PM
The Republican Creed:

I swear to defend any statement, no matter how asinine, incorrect, bigoted, moronic, or self-serving if it is made by a Republican candidate. This is my creed. I must master it as I must master my life. Without the Republicans I am worthless.

jidar
10-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Actually telling a 3rd grader that the VP is "in charge of the senate" is perfectly reasonable.

They preside as "president of the senate" and presumably makes sure it runs as it's supposed to. Of course the Senate doesn't often need the help, but that's what the VP is supposed to do so I figure her answer isn't so out of touch.

Adept Havelock
10-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Article 1, Section 3?

Seems to me they defined the office in Article 2. Article 1 simply specifies the limitations on the office with regard to the legislature.

edit- I should have used the word "established", rather than "defined".

The Republican Creed:

I swear to defend any statement, no matter how asinine, incorrect, bigoted, moronic, or self-serving if it is made by a Republican candidate. This is my creed. I must master it as I must master my life. Without the Republicans I am worthless.

ROFL Nice rephrasing.

alpha_omega
10-21-2008, 07:21 PM
Sounds reasonable to me...given the audience.

HolmeZz
10-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Sounds reasonable to me...given the audience.

The audience was whoever was watching the evening news. The person in front of her, asking the question, was a reporter.

She was completely wrong about the powers of the VP and this isn't the first time she's made this mistake. She's continually insisted that the VP has a constitution-given right of flexibility as it regards working with the senate. She specifically stated she intends to have extended influence over the Senate.

That's unconstitutional. She has no role in the senate outside of a tie-breaking vote, which happens when? Like rarely if ever?

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-21-2008, 07:37 PM
The audience was whoever was watching the evening news. The person in front of her, asking the question, was a reporter.

She was completely wrong about the powers of the VP and this isn't the first time she's made this mistake. She's continually insisted that the VP has a constitution-given right of flexibility as it regards working with the senate. She specifically stated she intends to have extended influence over the Senate.

That's unconstitutional. She has no role in the senate outside of a tie-breaking vote, which happens when? Like rarely if ever?

The Republican Creed:

Logical
10-21-2008, 07:41 PM
Oh come on a third grader would understand that if there is a tie vote in the Senate I break the tie, and I provide advice to the President when he requests it. How simple is that?

|Zach|
10-21-2008, 07:42 PM
I don't see a real big deal with this one.

jAZ
10-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Heh... thanks for asking!

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14805.html

RNC appears to shell out $150K for Palin fashion
By JEANNE CUMMINGS | 10/21/08 7:47 PM EDT Text Size:

http://images.politico.com/global/081021_palin_redcoat_297.jpg
Sarah Palin, in a red leather jacket, waves as she steps on stage before a crowd at a baseball field in Grand Junction, Colo., on Monday.
Photo: AP

The Republican National Committee appears to have spent more than $150,000 to clothe and accessorize vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin and her family since her surprise pick by John McCain in late August.

According to financial disclosure records, the accessorizing began in early September and included bills from Saks Fifth Avenue in St. Louis and New York for a combined $49,425.74.

The records also document a couple of big-time shopping trips to Neiman Marcus in Minneapolis, including one $75,062.63 spree in early September.

The RNC also spent $4,716.49 on hair and makeup through September after reporting no such costs in August.

Politico asked the McCain campaign for comment, explicitly noting the $150,000 in expenses for department store shopping and makeup consultation that were incurred immediately after Palin’s announcement. Pre-September reports do not include similar costs.

HolmeZz
10-21-2008, 07:46 PM
I don't see a real big deal with this one.

It's part of a trend. She's continually claimed that as VP she'd have extended powers over the senate, by ways of oversight and authority. The extent of her abilities in the senate is that she casts a tie-breaking vote if ever necessary. That's it. There's no flexibility as far as the senate goes, yet she keeps claiming there is.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qXCT6wli060&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qXCT6wli060&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Friendo
10-21-2008, 07:51 PM

Sarah Palin, in a red leather jacket, waves as she steps on stage before a crowd at a baseball field in Grand Junction, Colo., on Monday.

The Republican National Committee appears to have spent more than $150,000 to clothe and accessorize vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin and her family since her surprise pick by John McCain in late August.

According to financial disclosure records, the accessorizing began in early September and included bills from Saks Fifth Avenue in St. Louis and New York for a combined $49,425.74.

The records also document a couple of big-time shopping trips to Neiman Marcus in Minneapolis, including one $75,062.63 spree in early September.

The RNC also spent $4,716.49 on hair and makeup through September after reporting no such costs in August.

Politico asked the McCain campaign for comment, explicitly noting the $150,000 in expenses for department store shopping and makeup consultation that were incurred immediately after Palin’s announcement. Pre-September reports do not include similar costs.

ROFL c'mon Iowanian--this one's tailor-made for ya-switch hats for a sec and give it your best shot!

KCJohnny
10-21-2008, 07:56 PM
The VP she will replace is arguably the most powerful VP in American history. Palin will not inherent a ceremonial role only, but an activist one if she follows Dick Cheney's very influential role.

In June 2007, the Washington Post (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Post) summarized Cheney’s vice presidency in a Pulitzer Prize-winning<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-96>[97] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Cheney#cite_note-96)</SUP> four-part series, based in part on interviews with former administration officials. The articles characterized Cheney not as a “shadow” president, but as someone who usually has the last words of counsel to the president on policies, which in many cases would reshape the powers of the presidency. When former vice president Dan Quayle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Quayle) suggested to Cheney that the office was largely ceremonial, Cheney reportedly replied, “I have a different understanding with the president.” The articles described Cheney as having a secretive approach to the tools of government, indicated by the use of his own security classification and three man-sized safes in his offices.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-97>[98] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Cheney#cite_note-97)</SUP>

link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Cheney#Vice-President)

While I do not support everything this VP has done, it is fair to say his substantial experience as SECDEF brought capabilities to the Bush Presidency that many VPs do not possess. We do not know how a President McCain would employ his VP.

HolmeZz
10-21-2008, 07:58 PM
The VP she will replace is arguably the most powerful VP in American history. Palin will not inherent a ceremonial role only, but an activist one if she follows Dick Cheney's very influential role..

'Unconstitutional activism' from the Supreme Court = OFF WITH THEIR HEADZ

Unconstitutional activism from the VP = You betcha.

RJ
10-21-2008, 08:08 PM
H

[/I][/INDENT]

I wonder if they get to keep the clothes.

Sarah would look hot snowmobiling in that red leather jacket. And it would hide moose blood stains.

Donger
10-21-2008, 08:12 PM
The Democrat Creed:

I swear to attack any statement, no matter how benign, correct, simple, apparent, or self-evident if it is made by a Republican candidate. This is my creed. I must master it as I must master my life. Without the Republicans I am worthless.

See how easy it is?

Knob.

Donger
10-21-2008, 08:13 PM

Women. Peh.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-21-2008, 08:15 PM
See how easy it is?

Knob.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l227/dingdong34/Cat%20Macros/ButthurtPost2.jpg

Friendo
10-21-2008, 08:17 PM
I wonder if they get to keep the clothes.

Sarah would look hot snowmobiling in that red leather jacket. And it would hide moose blood stains.

hey, wouldn't Joe the Plumber look sharp in a new suit--you know, for when he buys that half-mil juggernaut tax-machine.

Donger
10-21-2008, 08:19 PM
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l227/dingdong34/Cat%20Macros/ButthurtPost2.jpg

I could understand the relevance of that if it were some other subject, but not this one. She was responding to child. Stop acting like a petulant one.

ChiefsCountry
10-21-2008, 08:21 PM

And I bet Obama's suits come from Wal-Mart. :rolleyes:

L.A. Chieffan
10-21-2008, 08:23 PM
I'm voting for McCain/Palin. The entertainment value is just too good for the next 4 years

RJ
10-21-2008, 08:27 PM
hey, wouldn't Joe the Plumber look sharp in a new suit--you know, for when he buys that half-mil juggernaut tax-machine.

Hell, he's part of the campaign. Why not give the dude 20K or so for a new suit and some wrenches?

On a side note - if I lived in Ohio and knew that Joe was planning on making over 250K on that plumbing bidness, I'd be calling a competitor. In these hard economic times it pays to shop around.

RJ
10-21-2008, 08:28 PM

Does WalMart sell suits? I never noticed.

Mecca
10-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Does WalMart sell suits? I never noticed.

Jared Allen got his there..

Just take solace, McCain probably has a better arm than Sam Bradford.

StcChief
10-21-2008, 09:41 PM
You don't have children, do you.and hopefully never will.

Logical
10-21-2008, 09:41 PM
Palin's real life stupidity is funnier than all the SNL skits.

Logical
10-21-2008, 09:45 PM
I could understand the relevance of that if it were some other subject, but not this one. She was responding to child. Stop acting like a petulant one.Honestly Donger no she was not. If you watch the news you will see that there are no 3rd graders there, only a cameraperson and the reporter that read the question from a 3rd grader. Palin just blew this big time.

Logical
10-21-2008, 09:47 PM
The VP she will replace is arguably the most powerful VP in American history. Palin will not inherent a ceremonial role only, but an activist one if she follows Dick Cheney's very influential role.

link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Cheney#Vice-President)

While I do not support everything this VP has done, it is fair to say his substantial experience as SECDEF brought capabilities to the Bush Presidency that many VPs do not possess. We do not know how a President McCain would employ his VP.

You honestly are so deluded you think what Cheney has done is a good thing?

Donger
10-21-2008, 09:49 PM
Honestly Donger no she was not. If you watch the news you will see that there are no 3rd graders there, only a cameraperson and the reporter that read the question from a 3rd grader. Palin just blew this big time.

Yes, that's why she says, "That's a great question, Brandon."

Good lord, Logical.

DaneMcCloud
10-21-2008, 09:52 PM
Sarah Palin makes Dan Quayle look like Albert Einstein

Logical
10-21-2008, 10:19 PM
Yes, that's why she says, "That's a great question, Brandon."

Good lord, Logical.I am telling you Donger that is not what was going on.

Here watch the whole thing, it is obvious she is in a studio and no children are present (notice that the camera never pans anything, just locks on her).

<iframe height="339" width="425" src="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/27313586#27313586" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Donger
10-21-2008, 10:21 PM
I am telling you Donger that is not what was going on.

Here watch the whole thing, it is obvious she is in a studio and no children are present (notice that the camera never pans anything, just locks on her).

<iframe height="339" width="425" src="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/27313586#27313586" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

I understand that no children were present. But, you may note that the question comes from a child named Brandon. Palin responds to Brandon.

Logical
10-21-2008, 10:31 PM
I understand that no children were present. But, you may note that the question comes from a child named Brandon. Palin responds to Brandon.It was still a wrong and thus stupid answer. She started off ok saying she would support the President, but then she blew the whole senate thing. All she had to say, was "the VP breaks tie votes in the Senate" I think a first grader would understand that, it is so simple. After all that is the only actual Senate job a VP has.

Donger
10-21-2008, 10:33 PM
It was still a wrong and thus stupid answer. She started off ok saying she would support the President, but then she blew the whole senate thing. All she had to say, was "the VP breaks tie votes in the Senate" I think a first grader would understand that, it is so simple. After all that is the only actual Senate job a VP has.

It's not wrong at all. She was responding to a child.

Direckshun
10-21-2008, 10:46 PM
This might be her 'potatoe' moment. A 3rd grader asks her what the role of the VP is and she botches it brutally.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/09yG8X5RbZI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/09yG8X5RbZI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

How the hell does she STILL not understand the office she's running for?

I find nothing objectionable in that clip. Palin actually answered the question fairly well.

|Zach|
10-21-2008, 10:55 PM
Sarah Palin makes Dan Quayle look like Albert Einstein

This I do agree with.

Logical
10-21-2008, 11:04 PM
It's not wrong at all. She was responding to a child.Whether answering a downs syndrome child, a mentally challenged individual or a 3rd grader that answer is wrong, matters not at all who it is being provided to.

DaneMcCloud
10-21-2008, 11:06 PM
It's not wrong at all. She was responding to a child.

With all due respect, is this the way you speak to your children?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "No".

Direckshun
10-21-2008, 11:09 PM
Whether answering a downs syndrome child, a mentally challenged individual or a 3rd grader that answer is wrong, matters not at all who it is being provided to.
I'll bite: in what way is Palin's answer "wrong"?

Donger
10-21-2008, 11:10 PM
Whether answering a downs syndrome child, a mentally challenged individual or a 3rd grader that answer is wrong, matters not at all who it is being provided to.

Again, she is "in charge" of the Senate in event of a tie vote.

You are trying to make this larger than it is.

Donger
10-21-2008, 11:11 PM
With all due respect, is this the way you speak to your children?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "No".

No. But I know my children are brilliant. I would probably drop it down a notch for some random child.

Direckshun
10-21-2008, 11:13 PM
No. But I know my children are brilliant. I would probably drop it down a notch for some random child.

If they are in any way your kids, I suggest you lower your expectations.

Donger
10-21-2008, 11:16 PM
If they are in any way your kids, I suggest you lower your expectations.

Why's that?

Direckshun
10-21-2008, 11:20 PM
Why's that?

I have a feeling that dopey, partisan stupidity is genetic.

Donger
10-21-2008, 11:21 PM
I have a feeling that dopey, partisan stupidity is genetic.

ROFL

Logical
10-21-2008, 11:40 PM
I'll bite: in what way is Palin's answer "wrong"?A VP is not in charge of the US Senate, they preside over to break ties and that is all.

Direckshun
10-21-2008, 11:44 PM
A VP is not in charge of the US Senate, they preside over to break ties and that is all.

Constitution makes them the President of the Senate, but does not outline (nor prohibit) any specific job responsibilities other than voting. The VP has had varying degrees of involvement in the Senate historically, ranging from a pointless figurehead (Cheney) to an extremely involved figure who is as engaged in day to day debate as any Senator (the examples here will be far more historical). Constitutionally, her answer is not incorrect. It is possible as VP to be "in charge of" the Senate.

Now, the fact she didn't mention that the VP takes over if the Prez dies or steps down is troubling, but I have a feeling people are just looking for shit that doesn't exist here.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-21-2008, 11:46 PM
Constitution makes them the President of the Senate, but does not outline (nor prohibit) any specific job responsibilities other than voting. The VP has had varying degrees of involvement in the Senate historically, ranging from a pointless figurehead (Cheney) to an extremely involved figure who is as engaged in day to day debate as any Senator (the examples here will be far more historical). Constitutionally, her answer is not incorrect. It is possible as VP to be "in charge of" the Senate.

Now, the fact she didn't mention that the VP takes over if the Prez dies or steps down is troubling, but I have a feeling people are just looking for shit that doesn't exist here.

Errr...the Senates own website says she has no role other than presiding over ceremonies and breaking ties.

the U.S. Senate website explains that the modern role of Vice Presidents has been to preside over the Senate “only on ceremonial occasions (http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/common/briefing/Vice_President.htm#2).”

The vice president's other constitutionally mandated duty was to receive from the states the tally of electoral ballots cast for president and vice president and to open the certificates "in the Presence of the Senate and House of Representatives," so that the total votes could be counted (Article II, section 1). Only a few happy vice presidents — John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Martin Van Buren, and George Bush — had the pleasure of announcing their own election as president. Many more were chagrined to announce the choice of some rival for the office.

During the twentieth century, the role of the vice president has evolved into more of an executive branch position. Now, the vice president is usually seen as an integral part of a president's administration and presides over the Senate only on ceremonial occasions or when a tie-breaking vote may be needed

Donger
10-21-2008, 11:48 PM
A VP is not in charge of the US Senate, they preside over to break ties and that is all.

I would say in that event, she would indeed be in charge of the Senate.

And, again, she's responding to a child.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-21-2008, 11:51 PM

And, again, she's responding to a child.

No, that is the President pro tempore.

Direckshun
10-21-2008, 11:58 PM
Errr...the Senates own website says she has no role other than presiding over ceremonies and breaking ties.

the U.S. Senate website explains that the modern role of Vice Presidents has been to preside over the Senate “only on ceremonial occasions (http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/common/briefing/Vice_President.htm#2).”

The vice president's other constitutionally mandated duty was to receive from the states the tally of electoral ballots cast for president and vice president and to open the certificates "in the Presence of the Senate and House of Representatives," so that the total votes could be counted (Article II, section 1). Only a few happy vice presidents — John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Martin Van Buren, and George Bush — had the pleasure of announcing their own election as president. Many more were chagrined to announce the choice of some rival for the office.

During the twentieth century, the role of the vice president has evolved into more of an executive branch position. Now, the vice president is usually seen as an integral part of a president's administration and presides over the Senate only on ceremonial occasions or when a tie-breaking vote may be needed

All the Senate website is doing, far as I can tell, is quoting the modern trend of Vice Presidents. There is nothing in the Constitution, in the law, or in Senate rules that prohibits Vice Presidents from being incredibly active in the chamber.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-22-2008, 12:02 AM
All the Senate website is doing, far as I can tell, is quoting the modern trend of Vice Presidents. There is nothing in the Constitution, in the law, or in Senate rules that prohibits Vice Presidents from being incredibly active in the chamber.

As President of the Senate (Article I (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_One_of_the_United_States_Constitution), Section 3), the vice president oversees procedural matters and may cast a tie-breaking vote (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Vice_President%27s_tie-breaking_votes). There is a strong convention within the U.S. Senate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate) that the vice president not use his or her position as President of the Senate to influence the passage of legislation or act in a partisan manner, except in the case of breaking tie votes

There is obviously an ambiguous nature to the duties of the VP as outlined by the Constitution. However, there is a strongly established precedent that Veeps don't push for specific policy within the chamber, that's what Minority/Majority leaders are for.

Logical
10-22-2008, 12:03 AM

Now, the fact she didn't mention that the VP takes over if the Prez dies or steps down is troubling, but I have a feeling people are just looking for shit that doesn't exist here. Here are the two Senate duties of the VP please note they do not match Sarah Palin's description at all

As President of the Senate, the Vice President has two primary duties: to cast a vote in the event of a Senate deadlock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Vice_President%27s_tie-breaking_votes) and to preside over and certify the official vote count of the U.S. Electoral College.

Actual words section 3

The Vice President of the United States shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no Vote, unless they be equally divided.

Logical
10-22-2008, 12:06 AM

And, again, she's responding to a child.Roberts rules of Order are not controlled by the VP, sorry no real power other than breaking tie votes.

Direckshun
10-22-2008, 12:52 AM
As President of the Senate (Article I (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_One_of_the_United_States_Constitution), Section 3), the vice president oversees procedural matters and may cast a tie-breaking vote (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Vice_President%27s_tie-breaking_votes). There is a strong convention within the U.S. Senate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate) that the vice president not use his or her position as President of the Senate to influence the passage of legislation or act in a partisan manner, except in the case of breaking tie votes

There is obviously an ambiguous nature to the duties of the VP as outlined by the Constitution. However, there is a strongly established precedent that Veeps don't push for specific policy within the chamber, that's what Minority/Majority leaders are for.

You understand that, right there in your cut and paste job, is the description of the VP as an overseer of procedural matters.

That right there alone could be construed as being in charge.

It is ambiguous, though.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-22-2008, 12:57 AM
You understand that, right there in your cut and paste job, is the description of the VP as an overseer of procedural matters.

That right there alone could be construed as being in charge.

It is ambiguous, though.

The only "procedural matter", AFAIK, is ratifying the results of the electoral college.

Mecca
10-22-2008, 12:58 AM
I still have yet to figure out why people think this woman is going to be their nominee in 2012 what is she gonna do get a brain transplant?

Direckshun
10-22-2008, 02:44 AM
The only "procedural matter", AFAIK, is ratifying the results of the electoral college.

You're wrong. When they actually do decide to show up for debates on the floor, they gavel in all speakers and gavels them out. They can determine rules on the floor, they can referee disagreements if they become too ridiculous, they can call for a vote at any reasonable moment (for example, they can interrupt a filibuster if they feel a cloture vote is warranted).

This can all be construed as "being in charge" of the Senate.

Now, again, this is largely uncommon, but it is included in the job description.

Donger
10-22-2008, 07:45 AM
No, that is the President pro tempore.

I don't believe that is correct. If the VP is present, he/she casts the tie-breaking vote. If he/she is not, then the President pro tempore does. Doesn't pro tempore mean "temporarily" or the equivalent in Latin?

RaiderH8r
10-22-2008, 08:41 AM
I don't believe that is correct. If the VP is present, he/she casts the tie-breaking vote. If he/she is not, then the President pro tempore does. Doesn't pro tempore mean "temporarily" or the equivalent in Latin?

Yes.

If the whip count comes back close to a tie the Administration will almost always ensure the VP is present for the vote.

Palin's short and accurate answer should have been, "The VP's job is to wait for the President to die, cut ribbons, and break ties."

Activist VPs in the Senate were tramped on early on because, ultimately the Senate does not need them. Adams tried, as was his nature, to engage in debate in the Senate and was summarily told to STFD and STFU. Jefferson pretty much read the paper and devised ways to screw over Adams.

The VP is pretty much a do nothing position.

Velvet_Jones
10-22-2008, 08:44 AM

How much did Biden spend on Botox?

Mr. Kotter
10-22-2008, 08:54 AM
It may sound stupid, but one could say she is, technically (of course, the reality is different,) correct....because the VP is the President of the Senate, according to the Constitution.

Of course the reality of their day-to-day responsibilities, makes this fact something of which many Americans are unaware. I suppose it hinges on what she/you mean, precisely, by "in charge...."

Sully
10-22-2008, 09:09 AM
Stupid 3rd graders and their "gotcha" questions.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-22-2008, 10:14 AM

She is a tiebreaker, and nothing else. That isn't someone who is in charge, that's a figurehead. She's literally the last person picked on the kickball team. She isn't in charge of anything other than ratifying the results of the EC.

Donger
10-22-2008, 10:16 AM
She is a tiebreaker, and nothing else. That isn't someone who is in charge, that's a figurehead. She's literally the last person picked on the kickball team. She isn't in charge of anything other than ratifying the results of the EC.

You could at least say "thank you."

Anyway, considering she would cast the tie-breaking vote, I would say that qualifies as being "in charge" at that point.

And, again, she was responding to a child's question.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-22-2008, 10:20 AM
You're wrong. When they actually do decide to show up for debates on the floor, they gavel in all speakers and gavels them out. They can determine rules on the floor, they can referee disagreements if they become too ridiculous, they can call for a vote at any reasonable moment (for example, they can interrupt a filibuster if they feel a cloture vote is warranted).

This can all be construed as "being in charge" of the Senate.

Now, again, this is largely uncommon, but it is included in the job description.

I don't think you understand the nature of a filibuster. You need 60 votes just to invoke cloture, and you don't have to go Mr. Smith Goes to Washington to actually filibuster. You just need to say "I'm filibustering". It's a speech act, not an endless speech.

And all of this is horribly outmoded and hasn't been done in ages. Do you really think that a woman who believes that the Pledge of Allegiance was around when the Founding Fathers were, and doesn't know the Bush Doctrine, would be aware of any of this?

It's a ceremonial role.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-22-2008, 10:22 AM
You could at least say "thank you."

Anyway, considering she would cast the tie-breaking vote, I would say that qualifies as being "in charge" at that point.

And, again, she was responding to a child's question.

Which would therefore mean that any representative or Senator who holds a vote that would tip the scales of a piece of legislation is in charge of their respected camera.

Let us not forget that she also said that have an important role in fomenting policy debates and discussions within the Senate, which hasn't been done in basically an entire century. If she had a rudimentary understanding of this, and didn't show a pattern of ignorance, rather than a poor ability of spouting off what her handlers have told her from rote memorization, perhaps she wouldn't be categorized as such a fool.

Cannibal
10-22-2008, 10:55 AM

Reminds me of Mr. Edward's $400 haircuts.

irishjayhawk
10-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Again, was she responding to a child. She is in charge of the Senate in the event of a tie vote.

I suppose "bucket of warm spit" would have been a better answer?

Come on.

So children don't know what a "tie" is? They wouldn't, therefore, know what a "tiebreaker" is?

Bowser
10-22-2008, 01:57 PM
She'd be in charge of NASA. They're f*cked six ways to Sunday WITHOUT her. Just think of the damage with her chairing those eggheads.