PDA

View Full Version : General Politics You find your beloved aunt living in a slum. Do you A) Bring her to live with you; B)

alanm
10-30-2008, 11:46 AM
B,Give her a few bucks from your $600 million war chest; C) Tell her to shut her pie hole until after the election?

Barack Obama's story, spanning from his mother's roots in Kansas to his father's in Kenya and his childhood spent in Hawaii and Indonesia, has been well chronicled and a central part of his allure as a candidate who transcends national and racial lines.
But one small part might have remained largely hidden from public view. In a first-floor apartment of a brick public housing complex on a side street in South Boston lives a woman who city officials believe is Obama's aunt. Her name is Zeituni Onyango, as in the "Auntie Zeituni" in one of his books, a polite and playful resident with an accent that recalls a more exotic place than where she is now.
She has shunned public attention and made little fuss over Obama's meteoric rise from modest means to the near pinnacle of American politics. But word has been spreading among those in her building.
William McGonigle, deputy director of the Boston Housing Authority, said Onyango told agency officials earlier this week that she is Obama's aunt. McGonigle said Onyango has been a resident of public housing for several years. She has worked for the agency as a resident health advocate, receiving a small stipend. He said she had hoped to avoid attention resulting from the campaign.
The Globe could not confirm last night, through genealogical records or the Obama campaign, that there is a relationship. The Obama campaign declined to comment or acknowledge a relationship.
During two visits by reporters to her apartment yesterday morning and afternoon, and in a phone conversation last night, Onyango made clear her desire to stay out of the way of Obama's campaign, with only days to go before the election.
"I'm proud of everybody," she said. "I ask God to bless everybody."
Chuckling to a reporter, she added, "I'm praying for you, not only him."
She said she wanted to wait to tell her story in full.
"We'll talk after the election," she said. "Come talk to me after the fifth."
Outside her apartment, her nurse said Onyango has been so worried about the attention that she has been calling public housing police when reporters show up. Last night, officers stationed outside her home shooed away reporters who had come to talk to her.
Federal Elections Commission records show Onyango donated at least five times to the Obama campaign in July and September of this year. Three of the donations were for $5 apiece, and two of the donations were for $25. She listed her job as a volunteer resident health advocate.
Other records on a website, The Huffington Post, show she gave a total of $260 to the campaign.
Page 2 of 2 --The Times of London reported in a story first posted on its website last night that a photograph of Zeituni Onyango was shown to George Hussein Onyango, Barack Obama's half brother in Nairobi. He confirmed that it was their aunt, the newspaper reported.
<table id="commentInviteBox" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td rowspan="2" style="width: auto;">
(http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/10/30/obama_aunt_may_live_in_boston/?page=2#commentAnchor)</td><td class="commentInvite">Discuss</td></tr><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>

George Onyango, 26, the youngest child of Barack Obama Sr., said he had spent weekends with his Aunt Zeituni when he was growing up, and instantly recognized her. Onyango said his aunt had left for the United States about eight years ago but sent him e-mails.
"She left to find work and I suppose she thought her life would be better there," he said. "She was kind and caring."
Zeituni Onyango is Barack Obama's paternal aunt, one of several children fathered by Hussein Onyango Obama. In his book, "Dreams From My Father," Obama describes meeting the tall, slender woman for the first time in Kenya as he got off the airplane.
Obama's sister, Auma, introduced him to his aunt, saying: " 'Barack, this is our Auntie Zeituni. Our father's sister,' " Obama wrote.
" 'Welcome home,' Zeituni said, kissing me on both cheeks," Obama wrote.
Obama's late father, Barack Obama Sr., and many of his siblings were raised in Alego, a village near Lake Victoria. The candidate's paternal grandfather was a cook and a respected village elder. At least one of Obama's uncles remains in the village. A few of his seven surviving siblings - his father had three wives and many girlfriends - live in Africa.
Obama's father was one of a group of talented young Kenyans who were sent to the United States in 1959 on an "airlift" to attend a university.
Obama Sr. attended the University of Hawaii, where he met Ann Dunham, Obama's mother. He left to study economics at Harvard University when Obama Jr. was 1 year old. He would see his son only one more time in his life, during a monthlong visit to Hawaii in 1971.
A chronic drinker, Obama Sr. died in a car crash in Nairobi in 1982. He was 46, one year younger than Barack Obama is now.
Back in Boston, a BHA official who visited Onyango this week found the walls of her apartment adorned with photographs of the Democratic presidential nominee, including some that appeared to be more than two decades old.
Milton J. Valencia of the Globe staff contributed to this report.http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/File-Based_Image_Resource/dingbat_story_end_icon.gif
© Copyright 2008 Globe Newspaper Company.

From Fark with link.http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/10/30/obama_aunt_may_live_in_boston/

Chiefnj2
10-30-2008, 11:57 AM
Maybe she'll be lucky enough to get some of Palin's clothes once the election is over and the RNC donates them to the poor. Everyone knows the poor need some Dulce and Gabbanna clothes.

Direckshun
10-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Federal Elections Commission records show Onyango donated at least five times to the Obama campaign in July and September of this year.

What exactly is the point of this thread, again?

Chief Henry
10-30-2008, 12:01 PM
Maybe she'll be lucky enough to get some of Palin's clothes once the election is over and the RNC donates them to the poor. Everyone knows the poor need some Dulce and Gabbanna clothes.

Maybe barry and the Acorns will look her up and give her some free cheese and a free home. She should qualify for sub prime loan that Franklyn Raines
kept buying up when he was in charge of Fannie and then Walked away with 90 million dollars over a 6 year period. Heck, Barry shuld call up Frank and have him send csome change to this little ol Aunty.

***SPRAYER
10-30-2008, 12:16 PM

That your hero is a scumbag and a liar.

chiefforlife
10-30-2008, 12:25 PM
Yeah, I could imagine what you guys would say, should Obama take some of his campaign donations and give it to his Aunt.

***SPRAYER
10-30-2008, 12:29 PM
Barry, like most liberals, wants to help the poor. But they just want to do it with your money.

chiefforlife
10-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Barry, like most liberals, wants to help the poor. But they just want to do it with your money.

The campaign money is OUR money. It happens to be illegal to use it for such a thing. Silly laws.

***SPRAYER
10-30-2008, 12:39 PM
The campaign money is OUR money. It happens to be illegal to use it for such a thing. Silly laws.

He has no other source of income?

:rolleyes:

RaiderH8r
10-30-2008, 01:49 PM
He has no other source of income?

:rolleyes:

That $162K salary he's pulling down just doesn't allow for the sort of philathropy you're talking about.

Robo-Chachi
10-30-2008, 02:35 PM
I love how everyone thinks Obama should support every relative from a father he hardly knew.

I'm sure when your distant family members hit hard times you have them move in with you and give them $250 a week.

RaiderH8r
10-30-2008, 02:37 PM
I love how everyone thinks Obama should support every relative from a father he hardly knew.

I'm sure when your distant family members hit hard times you have them move in with you and give them $250 a week.

Hell, the Obot neo-communists think the working class should support everybody so is it off base to poke a little fun at the Messiah himself on this one? I think not.

Taco John
10-30-2008, 02:40 PM
That $162K salary he's pulling down just doesn't allow for the sort of philathropy you're talking about.

Why would it?

When did Republicans start believing that $162k/year salary means that you owe it to everybody you're related to get them in a better home?

Robo-Chachi
10-30-2008, 02:46 PM
Hell, the Obot neo-communists think the working class should support everybody

Generalization. Right now I see my money supporting huge banks and a war in a country that has $80 billion in the bank while we spend $10 billion a month over there.

BigChiefFan
10-30-2008, 02:48 PM
McCain better move in hundreds of family members with all those houses. See how stupid that sounds?Get a grip.

Chief Henry
10-30-2008, 02:50 PM
Why would it?

When did Republicans start believing that $162k/year salary means that you owe it to everybody you're related to get them in a better home?

maybe the liberal crap on this board is starting to rub off on us

Radar Chief
10-30-2008, 02:51 PM

Since he talks so much about taking from the rich to give to the poor, why doesn’t he start with his own family?

BigChiefFan
10-30-2008, 02:51 PM
maybe the liberal crap on this board is starting to rub off on us
People rub off on you? EWW.

talastan
10-30-2008, 02:53 PM
Since he talks so much about taking from the rich to give to the poor, why doesn’t he start with his own family?

QFT!! Rep my friend!:clap:

Bootlegged
10-30-2008, 02:53 PM
http://blog.pumapac.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/moflyr.jpg

talastan
10-30-2008, 02:56 PM
http://blog.pumapac.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/moflyr.jpg

How much was the tip? That's what I'd like to know! :hmmm:

***SPRAYER
10-30-2008, 07:59 PM
That skinny lowlife from Chicago and his hideous wife are greasy skinflints.

alanm
10-31-2008, 12:21 AM
I'm still not sure. This guy was all over the place in this story. Just thought some of the information was interesting. :shrug:

KCJohnny
10-31-2008, 12:49 AM

Excellent point, Radar Chief. This is a dispicable situation. Have you ever been in the public housing area of your city (if your city is large enough to have them)?

And you stone hearted scrooges saying that Obama doesn't owe anything to dozens of distant relatives or that the gubment should take care of her - this lady is his Father's sister! :shake:

Well, we all know it takes a village to shake down the taxpayer.