PDA

View Full Version : Misc Don't block our right to know! re: food labeling in Kansas

KILLER_CLOWN
10-30-2008, 12:29 PM
Don't block our right to know!milk

You helped beat back an effort by the big dairy producers last year that would give you less information about what's in the milk you buy. But guess what? They're at it again in Kansas!

Some dairy farmers use an artificial growth hormone, now produced and sold by Eli Lilly (which recently bought it from Monsanto), to make cows produce more milk. But many retailers, as well as all organic dairies, sell milk products from cows that are not injected with this hormone. Right now, they tell you that on the label, so you can have a choice.

Last year Monsanto pushed a bill to end this informative labeling. It was defeated, but now Eli Lilly is trying again. This time with a Department of Agriculture regulation that may go into effect unless it is stopped now.

Tell the Governor itís time to end this foolishness -- stop this proposed regulation.

https://secure.consumersunion.org/site/Advocacy?JServSessionIdr001=qiegpn6yr4.app44a&cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=1870

Silock
10-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Wow, I totally agree with you on this.

That's bullshit.

BIG_DADDY
10-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Food labeling is an abomination in this country. Another great job by the FDA looking out for us. Anyone that actually believes they give 2 shits about us is out of their mind.

jiveturkey
10-30-2008, 01:25 PM
It just seems retarded that they would oppose telling you what you're eating or drinking.

KILLER_CLOWN
10-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Don't be shy fellow Kansans please sign and send this.

BIG_DADDY
10-30-2008, 01:26 PM
It just seems retarded that they would oppose telling you what you're eating or drinking.

Selling out. The FDA and CDC are the posters children for that.

Dave Lane
10-30-2008, 01:49 PM
Don't be shy fellow Kansans please sign and send this.

Done

Ari Chi3fs
10-30-2008, 05:10 PM
We drink Organic soy milk.... although, im certain that will be no good eventually as RoundUp Ready Soybeans have taken over most soy fields.

BIG_DADDY
10-30-2008, 05:15 PM
We drink Organic soy milk.... although, im certain that will be no good eventually as RoundUp Ready Soybeans have taken over most soy fields.

Soy increases estrogen levels and the processing leaves a lot to be desired from a retaining metals standpoint. The closest I get to soy is the sauce for my sushi.

Reaper16
10-30-2008, 05:30 PM
It's horsecrap. Consumers have a right to know whether or not their milk contains growth hormone.

Saulbadguy
10-30-2008, 09:30 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dy6uLfermPU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dy6uLfermPU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Boon
10-30-2008, 11:00 PM
Done

+1

Guru
10-30-2008, 11:30 PM
I hesitate to do anything where they want my full address. I don't need more junk mail later.

Hell, I don't even pay attention to milk labels.

Reaper16
10-30-2008, 11:34 PM
I hesitate to do anything where they want my full address. I don't need more junk mail later.

Hell, I don't even pay attention to milk labels.
I don't pay attention to the labels of milk I don't buy. I buy exclusively Shatto milk, baby.

BWillie
10-31-2008, 01:20 AM
It's horsecrap. Consumers have a right to know whether or not their milk contains growth hormone.

LOL

Organic people.

Tell you what, you keep buying your milk for 5 dollars a gallon, and I'll buy mine for 2 dollars a gallon and it'll taste exactly like yours. I'm all for pumping all the hormones in cows that they want. Just about every livestock animal is pumped full of something, and I'm not too terribly worried about it.

DaneMcCloud
10-31-2008, 01:23 AM
LOL

Organic people.

Tell you what, you keep buying your milk for 5 dollars a gallon, and I'll buy mine for 2 dollars a gallon and it'll taste exactly like yours. I'm all for pumping all the hormones in cows that they want. Just about every livestock animal is pumped full of something, and I'm not too terribly worried about it.

You're all that's right with this country, "Big Willie".

ROFL

Silock
10-31-2008, 01:32 AM
LOL

Organic people.

That's why you buy food that ISN'T pumped up with stuff, either. It's not terribly difficult to do. And yes, it does cost a bit more. I figured the benefit of a decreased cancer risk balances out the slightly higher grocery bill.

Silock
10-31-2008, 01:37 AM
Soy increases estrogen levels and the processing leaves a lot to be desired from a retaining metals standpoint. The closest I get to soy is the sauce for my sushi.

I know you and I go 'round and 'round on this (and I even agree with you that excess soy intake is bad for the very reasons you mention), but I'll just say that you should check out a few of the newer studies on Pubmed about decreased cancer risk as it relates to soy intake and genistein, including prostate cancer. Still . . . all things in moderation. You'll be happy to know I ditched the soy protein, though. Just wasn't using it enough to justify the cost. I still haven't eliminated soy from my diet (and won't), though.

HonestChieffan
10-31-2008, 05:53 AM
It is not an artificial growth horemone. Cows naturally produce it themselves. Its called Bovine Somatitrophin. You get it in every cow. Its not in the milk.

More much ado about nothing.

KILLER_CLOWN
10-31-2008, 06:50 AM
It is not an artificial growth horemone. Cows naturally produce it themselves. Its called Bovine Somatitrophin. You get it in every cow. Its not in the milk.

More much ado about nothing.

The human body make estrogen, but too much gives you the dreaded cancer. You is da smart one, yup yup yup. Keep those knuckles dragging.

BucEyedPea
10-31-2008, 06:55 AM
I stopped buying that milk back in 1993 because of that chemical. Went to organic and non-homegenized from Amish farmers in glass bottles. No longer available but I still buy organic. Just last week it got too pricy, so I thought I'd switch and the taste of commercial milk was disgusting. It doesn't even taste like milk. Pure chemical garbage. But I found me some coupons.

BucEyedPea
10-31-2008, 06:58 AM
The human body make estrogen, but too much gives you the dreaded cancer. You is da smart one, yup yup yup. Keep those knuckles dragging.

That's exactly right. That's why putting women on hormone replacement therapy are getting more cancer. Estrogen is a carcinogen. But children don't need more than what their body can handle especially when they change to adults. Let them grow naturally since that's who drinks more milk. And men certainly don't need more estrogen either. Man boobs anyone?

HCF is a chemical farmer who says there are no cattle, let alone, cows that are grass fed either. HCF do you know if this hormone is taken from natural sources or is it man-made in a lab to imitate the real thing? * wiggles brow *

petegz28
10-31-2008, 06:59 AM
LOL

Organic people.

Shows what little you know. Organic skim milk tastes totally different than regular skim milk.

Don't get mad when you get some disease later on from said chemicals and hormones.

BucEyedPea
10-31-2008, 07:02 AM
I know you and I go 'round and 'round on this (and I even agree with you that excess soy intake is bad for the very reasons you mention), but I'll just say that you should check out a few of the newer studies on Pubmed about decreased cancer risk as it relates to soy intake and genistein, including prostate cancer. Still . . . all things in moderation. You'll be happy to know I ditched the soy protein, though. Just wasn't using it enough to justify the cost. I still haven't eliminated soy from my diet (and won't), though.

This is not a widely accepted statement but prostrate cancer is caused by declining hormones in men too as they age. They lose their testosterone so things swell...like getting boobs too. Wonder why old people shrink and women get osteosporosis too. Same thing.

BucEyedPea
10-31-2008, 07:08 AM
LOL

Organic people.

Obviously you've never tasted real milk. If you have tasted the organic, you're probably just used to the chemical tasting junk but it's not the authentic taste. I've seen the same reaction in kids that come over my house over the years who taste my milk and they don't like it. It's all what your used to.

On the other hand the 2 kids ( sisters) that didn't like it came from a family that lived on packaged foods from Wal-Mart and the regular supermarket where none of the words could be pronounced on the ingredient list because it's was all man-mad lab chemicals. That and the amount of sugar that was in their food. Some kids, a child whose mom was from Malaysia loved our milk.

It takes time for one's taste-buds to acclimate to a more natural diet. It can be done though...because I did it.

Hope you have a terrific health insurance policy. You're gonna need it. FDA has to keep BigPharma and western medicine in business.

petegz28
10-31-2008, 07:51 AM
Obviously you've never tasted real milk. If you have tasted the organic, you're probably just used to the chemical tasting junk but it's not the authentic taste. I've seen the same reaction in kids that come over my house over the years who taste my milk and they don't like it. It's all what your used to.

On the other hand the 2 kids ( sisters) that didn't like it came from a family that lived on packaged foods from Wal-Mart and the regular supermarket where none of the words could be pronounced on the ingredient list because it's was all man-mad lab chemicals. That and the amount of sugar that was in their food. Some kids, a child whose mom was from Malaysia loved our milk.

It takes time for one's taste-buds to acclimate to a more natural diet. It can be done though...because I did it.

Hope you have a terrific health insurance policy. You're gonna need it. FDA has to keep BigPharma and western medicine in business.

I grew up drinking typcial Whole Milk. Switched to 2%. Finally tried organic skim and it tasted better than typical 2%. And it lasts a lot longer.

KILLER_CLOWN
10-31-2008, 07:55 AM
Health Education
Do You Need Milk?
By Erleen Tilton
Feb 7, 2008

Most of us have been raised on milk. Not only that, many of us have been raised with the “Basic Four Food Groups” and other dietary guidelines that recommend milk as one or our daily food needs. However, there is much we need to understand about milk and how if affects our bodies, what it really does and does not provide, and also how today’s dairy milk differs than the milk that used to be found on the farm or in the past.

Let’s first understand that we as humans are mammals. We are the only mammals who drink milk after we are weaned, we are the only mammals who drink milk from another mammal, and we are the only mammals who drink pasteurized milk!

Humans and other mammals were created to produce nourishment for their young. That’s how it was meant to be, and that’s how it should be. Horses produce milk to feed their young, sheep produce milk to feed their young, cows produce milk to feed their young, and humans produce milk to feed their young too. That is nature’s way of starting out a baby with the right and proper nourishment. But none of the mammals are meant to produce milk forever. We/they begin to dry up after a year or so, and in order to produce more milk, it takes producing another baby. Yes, cows and goats have to be bred on a yearly basis in order to continue to produce milk – it wouldn’t happen any other way. (And by the way, I’m glad I am not a cow having to get pregnant on a yearly basis for my milk production, with my new baby yanked away from me as soon as it arrives!)

Today’s dairies greatly differ from the farm milk cow when I was a child. I remember my father going out and rounding up our milk cow morning and evening to milk her. A dairy milk cow today does not need to be rounded up twice daily. They will usually come in voluntarily three or more times a day! Why? Because they are fed hormones as well as their own bi-products to increase milk production and are so engorged that their milk bags often drag, or almost drag the ground. They come to get milked to find relief. And just as engorgement causes breast infections in humans, it will likewise in cows, so they are given good doses of anti-biotics and vaccines to “keep them healthy”. If not, there is blood and pus that will show up in the milk, and as all milk is tested in every dairy before it is taken each time, they will know where the blood and puss level is. Don’t worry though. You won’t be drinking anything but “Grade A” milk from the store. However, any “Grade B” milk (which can have up to 5% blood and pus) will be made into cheese. Rest assured, if your cheeses, sour cream, cream, etc. does not say “Grade A”, then you know it is most likely from “Grade B” milk.

Is the pasteurization process of milk beneficial or harmful to our bodies? Dr. Mercola of mercola.com states, “Pasteurization is a destructive process that changes the physical structure of the fragile proteins in milk (especially casein) and converts them into proteins your body was never designed to handle – and that can actually harm you. Additionally, the pasteurization process virtually eliminates the good bacteria normally present in the milk and radically reduces the micronutrient and vitamin content of this healthy food.”

So, do we need to drink milk to get our calcium? In the pasteurization process, the structure of the milk and nutrients are changed, and the calcium becomes indigestible – our bodies cannot assimilate it. Many people in their older years feel they need to drink milk to keep their bones strong, but in all actuality, pasteurized milk leeches calcium from the bones. So not only does it not prevent osteoporosis, it actually can cause it! Studies show that the countries with higher consumptions of milk and milk products also have a higher rate of broken bones and osteoporosis. Milk is not our best source of calcium.

Let’s consider what good sources of calcium really are. First of all, look at a cow and what she eats to produce all that milk: greens and grains! Not only does she not eat any meat to build that several hundred pounds of protein flesh, she only eats greens and grains (at least if she lives on a farm and allowed to stay an herbivore – unlike most dairies who turn cows into carnivores by feeding them their own bi-products mixed into their food).

Greens, grains, nuts, sprouts and beans are full of calcium, as well as protein. Most of us do not understand this because we have been programmed to believe otherwise. We do not eat near enough greens in our diets! Even if individuals have a salad or two daily, it usually contains little real greens – iceberg lettuce does not count! Greens such as leaf lettuces, Swiss chard, beet greens, collards, kale, broccoli, parsley, mints, etc. are all good greens rich in calcium. Sprouts such as alfalfa, radish, clover, lentil, and others are full of calcium and protein too. Whole grains and beans also contain good calcium and protein, but the raw nuts and seeds are some of our best sources of calcium and protein. Sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, almonds and more (all raw) are full of good digestible calcium.

Nut, soy and rice milks have often been discounted in being termed “substitutes” to the real thing. However, it is all in how you look at it. Would you rather be nursing from the udder of a cow to get that milk to pour on your cereal, or would you rather get it from raw nuts, soybeans, rice or other vegetable proteins? These other “milks” do differ in protein, calcium, fat, and nutritional content, but they are great sources of nutrition.

If we would focus more on these kinds of foods in our diets – leafy greens, whole grains, beans, sprouts, raw nuts and seeds – instead of the meat, milk, fast foods, processed and prepared foods (that are high in calories yet lacking real digestible nutrition) we would not only feel better, but we would look better (having better weight control), and not have to experience all the diseases and disorders that we do as a people. Good sound nutrition from wholesome foods is the real key to better health

http://www.selfgrowth.com/artman2/publish/healtheducation_articles/Do_You_Need_Milk_printer.html

I quit milk products almost a year ago and it made a world of difference. I still do butter but that is about it.

Saulbadguy
10-31-2008, 09:05 AM
I don't really care. I keep skim milk around the house and it is a good low fat source of protein.

Reaper16
10-31-2008, 09:19 AM
LOL

Organic people.

I'm not too worried about it, either. It comforts me knowing that the milk I purchase is free of the stuff, but that's not the number one reason that I purchase milk only from Shatto Milk Company.

My number one reason is the taste. Shatto's product is sooooooooo far and away a better tasting product than any other milk I've ever had in my life. If your own tastebuds can't tell the difference between Shatto and the "regular" milk brands, then your tastebuds are fucked and we can't talk about food anymore.