PDA

View Full Version : Elections Obama's Campaign Stop in CoMo--My Take

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-31-2008, 12:33 AM
<o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="Street"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="address"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> We got there at about 7:25. Gates opened at 7:30 for a 9:00 pm rally. For those of you familiar with the Mizzou campus, it was on the Carnahan quad running adjacent to <st1:street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Conley street</st1:address></st1:street>. There were hay bales and pumpkins around the podium for a festive fall atmosphere.

I RSVP’ed a few days before the event, but upon arrival, we were told that we needed tickets in order to sit in the ‘VIP’ section, which was basically the main area cordoned off. There were several people who waited in line and got inside the formal gates, but many of them had been waiting outside for 8 hours. Fortunately, today was beautiful. By 7:45, there was a line running from the gate all the way back to <st1:street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">College Ave.</st1:address></st1:street> (About a 1/3 of a mile). We went back around to an area outside the gates, one street across from where Obama would speak, about 175 yards from the podium.

A couple of local pols came out to warm the crowd up, finishing with Judy Baker and then Jay Nixon. Obama came out to a long ovation, but as he came out, two buses for the press corps decided to pull out and blocked our view of his entrance, to much disdain from the few thousand people watching from our area. After booing, they got out of the way.
<o></o>
He gave a solid 35-40 minute speech (much longer than I was expecting). A little bit more detailed than I was expecting, with a little red meat thrown in. It was like a pared down version of his convention speech, with less flourishing rhetoric, mixed with some soundbytes of the last few weeks. A basic stump speech, but when you hear four people go on directly before him, you really appreciate his gift of oratory.
<o></o>
He had several good lines, namely the rearview mirror analogy of McCain/Bush economics, and the Peanut Butter and Toys line I heard last night.
<o></o>
My personal favorite: upon his first mention of McCain, the crowd in the main area began to boo. He immediately said, “you don’t need to boo, you need to vote.” It was a really good, focused message for the young audience there (although there was a smattering of middle aged and elderly folks).
<o></o>
Well worth the time spent attending.

Thig Lyfe
10-31-2008, 12:40 AM
Cool, thanks for the report. I like his response to the booing.

KCJohnny
10-31-2008, 12:41 AM
I think that is by far the longest text Hamas has ever posted on CP without using F bombs or referring to reproductive organs.

Congrats.

Thig Lyfe
10-31-2008, 12:42 AM
I think that is by far the longest text Hamas has ever posted on CP without using F bombs or referring to reproductive organs.

Congrats.

Agreed. I give his post 5 out of 5 fuck-cocks.

Pitt Gorilla
10-31-2008, 12:44 AM

Congrats.Tees ball belt-high for "Shut your f*cking hole, dick-nose" response.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-31-2008, 12:47 AM
This picture was taken with a Nikon D40 with a 18-135mm lens (I think). 10x zoom. Not Zach-quality, but a very nice camera. We were a ways away in a big crowd, this was about as good of a shot as we could get.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-31-2008, 12:48 AM
I had to crop out 50% of the picture because of some dude's head to my right.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-31-2008, 12:50 AM
Oh, and there were Cops all over the place. In every building surrounding the quad, on every roof.

Multiples with binoculars, and I even saw a sharpshooter.

Honestly, the place would be a logistical nightmare for security, but it makes you appreciate the lengths that they go to in securing the location. I think that Big Daddy's dream ain't gonna happen too easily.

|Zach|
10-31-2008, 12:52 AM
This picture was taken with a Nikon D40 with a 18-135mm lens (I think). 10x zoom. Not Zach-quality, but a very nice camera. We were a ways away in a big crowd, this was about as good of a shot as we could get.

Trying to photograph at things like this can be a total bitch. Always fun to try though.

Cool experience, thanks for sharing.

|Zach|
10-31-2008, 12:57 AM
Oh, and there were Cops all over the place. In every building surrounding the quad, on every roof.

Honestly, the place would be a logistical nightmare for security, but it makes you appreciate the lengths that they go to in securing the location. I think that Big Daddy's dream ain't gonna happen too easily.

I love watching security folks at these events. Below is throw away shot from the McCain event I went to. Look at the evil eye I am getting from that secret service dude. Holy shit.

ChiefsCountry
10-31-2008, 01:04 AM

It was the same with Palin in Springfield. Cops everywhere, on top of the building - snipers, helicopters, etc.

DaneMcCloud
10-31-2008, 01:09 AM
It was the same with Palin in Springfield. Cops everywhere, on top of the building - snipers, helicopters, etc.

As it should be

DaneMcCloud
10-31-2008, 01:10 AM
I love watching security folks at these events. Below is throw away shot from the McCain event I went to. Look at the evil eye I am getting from that secret service dude. Holy shit.

McCain looks older up close.

Actually, he looks like the 80 year-old Pope I met last year.

Kinda creepy.

ChiefsCountry
10-31-2008, 01:10 AM
As it should be

Of course the ironic thing was the building behind her had more guns and ammo than anyplace in the world outside the military.

DaneMcCloud
10-31-2008, 01:14 AM
Of course the ironic thing was the building behind her had more guns and ammo than anyplace in the world outside the military.

Ain't that America

PRIEST
10-31-2008, 06:15 AM
McCain looks older up close.

Actually, he looks like the 80 year-old Pope I met last year.

Kinda creepy.

Just thinking the same. Wow now I really am scared of Palin :eek:

BigRedChief
10-31-2008, 06:38 AM
The nature of the beast.

But what you may not know is that the security detail you are seeing is only part of it. There are many "undercover" agents blending in with the crowd.

Ultra Peanut
10-31-2008, 06:41 AM
Living in a swing state must be nice...

BigRedChief
10-31-2008, 07:49 AM
yes, I got to take my son to the Obama rally in KC last week.

I think its good for him to see a part of the democratic process in person.

See Phelps people and the extremist protesting, the helicoptors, snipers etc to deter those who would hijack the process.

BigRedChief
10-31-2008, 08:28 AM
He's going to be in Springfield, Mo tommorrow.

Trying to follow the political road map of McCaskill. Don't think you can win hard core Republican strongholds? Don't give up on them but visit and campaign to keep the vote closer in the neo-con areas and go for high turnout in your base.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-31-2008, 12:57 PM

In every Prez or midterm election I've either voted in Missouri or Ohio, so I've had a chance to go to some pretty interesting rallies.

I got to meet Luke Perry a few years ago when he was campaigning for Sherrod Brown. I took a picture of him with one of my friends. Afterwards, she told me, "Even though I'm engaged, I'd definitely fuck him. I don't care."

ROFL

Carlota69
10-31-2008, 03:20 PM
yes, I got to take my son to the Obama rally in KC last week.

I think its good for him to see a part of the democratic process in person.

See Phelps people and the extremist protesting, the helicoptors, snipers etc to deter those who would hijack the process.

Yeah it really is cool living in a swing state.. I went to the Obama rally here in Las Vegas last Saturday, and he is here again tomorrow.
LAst week, we were right by the stage and some of the media. I was interviewd by some TV station out of Portugal. I was with military, my boyfriend and his best friend (not in uniform), and we ran into quite a few of their collegues. It was very cool. Obama spoke for 30-35 minutes, talked about his grandmother (it was the day he came back ont he trail after visiting her), and did the Lone Ranger against Tonto spiel. I might go again tomorrow, but as a volunteer this time.