PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Enough talk about moderation....

Sully
11-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Yes...there are some disgusting things said on here by disgusting people.

Yes...there are racists, bigots, anger-junkies, misogynists, and all manner of douchebags on this site. Yes, those qualities come out far more in the DC part of the forum.

However, I have a few things for you all to take into consideration...

A) When those folks who are so angry need to post such things, it makes them look far worse than a banning would.

B) The bannings aren't totally effective, considering a couple of oft-banned posters we have that have historically returned time after time.

C) So long as they aren't blatantly breaking forum rules, they aren't doing any real harm.

D) There are two types of ignore that all posters have access to.

E) Most of the ugly things folks say around here, they hide it in just enough cover that it doesn't completely break a rule. We all know what they are saying...it's clear as day, but the rule of the law makes it impossible to fully enforce things.

F) Heavy moderation would only serve to create MORE tension and arguments around here, rather than less, as the semantics of what someone actually said would become even MORE of an issue than it already is.

Let's be sensible. If you don't like what someone posts, ignore it/put them on ignore/move along. Forcing someone else to take responsibility would do more harm than good. Plus, even if it worked, we wouldn't have some of these clowns around to point and laugh at any longer.

Mecca
11-03-2008, 01:17 PM
I don't really like the double standard of anything goes in DC but if you said it in the lounge you'd get banned...it's the same forum the same rules should apply.

Donger
11-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Welcome to Thunderdome!

J Diddy
11-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Welcome to Thunderdome!

2 man enter 1 man leave.

OnTheWarpath58
I don't really like the double standard of anything goes in DC but if you said it in the lounge you'd get banned...it's the same forum the same rules should apply.

This.

People take advantage in DC because they know they can.

Mecca
2 man enter 1 man leave.

If I get to hit Donger with a pick axe...I'll enter.

Pablo
11-03-2008, 01:19 PM
True. Bannings aren't really warranted no matter how offensive a statement may be.

This is the dumpster of CP. It's a blemish on the ass-cheek of this board, so anything goes.

J Diddy
11-03-2008, 01:19 PM
If I get to hit Donger with a pick axe...I'll enter.

OH great another thunderdome cheeser.

:D

J Diddy
11-03-2008, 01:20 PM
True. Bannings aren't really warranted no matter how offensive a statement may be.

This is the dumpster of CP. It's a blemish on the ass-cheek of this board, so anything goes.

I disagree. These comments aren't acceptable.

Mecca
11-03-2008, 01:22 PM
I disagree. These comments aren't acceptable.

Some of the stuff that gets sad really makes this forum look awful, if someone spouted some of this stuff off in person they'd have a real problem.

Sully
11-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Like I said last week.
The stuff that we all know is racist, leaves just enough wiggle room for the poster to act innocent and pretend they were, for example, "Just asking a simple question."

It's there, but because of the wiggle room, would cause more harm and stress than anything trying to enforce.

J Diddy
11-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Like I said last week.
The stuff that we all know is racist, leaves just enough wiggle room for the poster to act innocent and pretend they were, for example, "Just asking a simple question."

It's there, but because of the wiggle room, would cause more harm and stress than anything trying to enforce.

fug the wiggle room.

Mecca
11-03-2008, 01:26 PM
fug the wiggle room.

They're lucky I'm not a mod...I might not bad them but I'd surely mess with them.

Sully
11-03-2008, 01:27 PM
fug the wiggle room.

The wiggle room is the crux of the thing.
You take it from a black and white issue, to a matter where whoever is doing the moderating has to make a judgment call. All that means is that whatever decision he or she would make, half the board would be railing on him or her for playing favorites or someting. The wiggle room is the entire problem.
If posters were running around, saying, "Niggers are horrible." Or "We can't have no nigger as pres," then it'd be easy. But those who feel that way wrap their rhetoric up in just enough civil language to find a way out of actually owning their own thoughts in public.

J Diddy
11-03-2008, 01:28 PM
You take it from a black and white issue, to a matter where whoever is doing the moderating has to make a judgment call. All that means is that whatever decision he or she would make, half the board would be railing on him or her for playing favorites or someting. The wiggle room is the entire problem.
If posters were running around, saying, "****ers are horrible." Or "We can't have no ****er as pres," then it'd be easy. But those who feel that way wrap their rhetoric up in just enough civil language to find a way out of actually owning their own thoughts in public.

That's the problem, the majority of those people wouldn't do this in public. Hiding behind the mask so to speak.

Mecca
11-03-2008, 01:29 PM
That's the problem, the majority of those people wouldn't do this in public. Hiding behind the mask so to speak.

Because it's not acceptable and things that aren't acceptable in life shouldn't be acceptable here either.

OnTheWarpath58
11-03-2008, 01:33 PM
If posters were running around, saying, "****ers are horrible." Or "We can't have no ****er as pres," then it'd be easy. But those who feel that way wrap their rhetoric up in just enough civil language to find a way out of actually owning their own thoughts in public.

That's the thing.

There is NO wiggle room in any other part of this forum.

Only in DC.

That's a double standard, and from what I'm reading, is part of the reason people are upset.

You know as well as I do, that if some of these comments, even with the "wiggle room" were posted in the Lounge - they'd be banned, no questions asked.

Posts/comments should be held to the same standard, regardless of the sub-forum they were posted in.

dirk digler
11-03-2008, 01:43 PM
That's the thing.

There is NO wiggle room in any other part of this forum.

Only in DC.

That's a double standard, and from what I'm reading, is part of the reason people are upset.

You know as well as I do, that if some of these comments, even with the "wiggle room" were posted in the Lounge - they'd be banned, no questions asked.

Posts/comments should be held to the same standard, regardless of the sub-forum they were posted in.

I totally agree with this. If trolls like shtsprayer and sportshrink trolled in the Lounge they would be gone in a heartbeat.

RJ
11-03-2008, 01:55 PM
Regardless of the election outcome, total anarchy will rule here for the next few days. There will be some nasty things said. Personally, I'm going to try to stay away but I know I won't be able to keep from peeking.

As to banning/moderation of the forum....if this were my board I'd shut DC down before I'd waste my time trying to control it. No one is forced to read or post here.

Hydrae
11-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Regardless of the election outcome, total anarchy will rule here for the next few days. There will be some nasty things said. Personally, I'm going to try to stay away but I know I won't be able to keep from peeking.

As to banning/moderation of the forum....if this were my board I'd shut DC down before I'd waste my time trying to control it. No one is forced to read or post here.

Well put

VAChief
11-03-2008, 02:07 PM

That is blatant right wing Rush Limbaugh bias!