PDA

View Full Version : Elections Naturalized Citizens and Voting

DaKCMan AP
11-04-2008, 09:55 AM
I have a co-worker who is a naturalized citizen, originally from another country. He didn't even register to vote.

Should naturalized citizens be required to vote - or at least register to vote - and have their continued citizenship dependent upon it?

Iowanian
11-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Its not a requirement....its a right. Its your right as a non-felon and legal citizen to vote if you choose to vote.

Donger
11-04-2008, 09:58 AM
No.

jidar
11-04-2008, 09:58 AM
I didn't like how the no option was phrased, but I went with it any way.

DaKCMan AP
11-04-2008, 09:59 AM
Its not a requirement....its a right. Its your right as a non-felon and legal citizen to vote if you choose to vote.

Sure. However, these people obtaining US Citizenship is a privilege. Someone who is fortunate enough to obtain citizenship should take full advantage, IMO.

Donger
11-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Sure. However, these people obtaining US Citizenship is a privilege. Someone who is fortunate enough to obtain citizenship should take full advantage, IMO.

We are already second-class citizens. Let's not through another turd on the pile, eh?

dirk digler
11-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Of course they should vote and it should be part of their path to citizenship.

If they don't want to vote ship their foreign ass out of the country we don't need them

Donger
11-04-2008, 10:10 AM
Of course they should vote and it should be part of their path to citizenship.

If they don't want to vote ship their foreign ass out of the country we don't need them

I hope you are kidding.

dirk digler
11-04-2008, 10:12 AM
I hope you are kidding.

I am not

Saulbadguy
11-04-2008, 10:12 AM
No. No one is required to vote, why should they be required to vote?

Donger
11-04-2008, 10:13 AM
I am not

So, we should be forced to vote or face deportation?

dirk digler
11-04-2008, 10:15 AM
So, we should be forced to vote or face deportation?

Sure I have no problem with that

triple
11-04-2008, 10:15 AM
if someone doesn't want to participate, why should they be forced to?

Donger
11-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Sure I have no problem with that

And the natural-born citizens (who did nothing for their birthright)? What punishment should they be given of they don't vote?

DaFace
11-04-2008, 10:17 AM
:spock:

dirk digler
And the natural-born citizens (who did nothing for their birthright)? What punishment should they be given of they don't vote?

No punishment because we are real citizens not fake ones

triple

this is racist if you ask me.

Donger
11-04-2008, 10:18 AM

Lovely. What makes you a real citizen?

dirk digler
11-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Lovely. What makes you a real citizen?

I was born here and they weren't.

dirk digler
11-04-2008, 10:20 AM
this is racist if you ask me.

How is it racist? All kinds of races are natural born citizens.

Donger
11-04-2008, 10:20 AM
I was born here and they weren't.

Right. We actually did something for our citizenship. You did not.

triple
11-04-2008, 10:21 AM
How is it racist? All kinds of races are natural born citizens.

Imparting a preference solely based on where someone is born. I believe like Dear Leader, that anyone should be able to come here and become a citizen and partake of all our government freebies.

Saulbadguy
11-04-2008, 10:23 AM

You are the descendant of a fake citizen.

dirk digler

We don't have to do anything since we are already here and they weren't.

BTW I did something for my country by serving in the USMC.

Brock

You didn't do shit.

Donger
You are being spun like a hula hoop. ROFL

No, I think dirk actually believes this.

dirk digler
11-04-2008, 10:24 AM
You are being spun like a hula hoop. ROFL

:evil:

dirk digler
11-04-2008, 10:24 AM
You didn't do shit.

LMAO

jidar
11-04-2008, 10:25 AM

that's just god damned retarded.

I have to assume you're trolling

Amnorix
11-04-2008, 10:25 AM
No, I think dirk actually believes this.

Maybe. I delete my post (too late) because it's Dirk's game to play, if he liked, but too late.

I still think he's dialing you up, however. I could be wrong though, not like I'm a mind-reader.

Donger
11-04-2008, 10:27 AM
You didn't do shit.

Yep, not a thing. Thousands of dollars, two weeks back in that rathole sitting in the US embassy in London, standing before a federal judge and swearing the following:

Solemnly, freely, and without mental reservation, I hereby renounce under oath all allegiance to any foreign state. My fidelity and allegiance from this day forward is to the United States of America. I pledge to support, honor, and be loyal to the United States, its Constitution, and its laws. Where and if lawfully required, I further commit myself to defend the Constitution and laws of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, either by military, noncombatant, or civilian service. This I do solemnly swear, so help me God.

dirk digler
11-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Yep, not a thing. Thousands of dollars, two weeks back in that rathole sitting in the US embassy in London, standing before a federal judge and swearing the following:

Solemnly, freely, and without mental reservation, I hereby renounce under oath all allegiance to any foreign state. My fidelity and allegiance from this day forward is to the United States of America. I pledge to support, honor, and be loyal to the United States, its Constitution, and its laws. Where and if lawfully required, I further commit myself to defend the Constitution and laws of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, either by military, noncombatant, or civilian service. This I do solemnly swear, so help me God.

That is not much. I was born here and that was alot harder

BucEyedPea
11-04-2008, 10:29 AM
It's not a right if someone has to enforce it. This is just fascist nonsense.
Freedom means the right to abstain or not participate.

I have mixed feelings about all these voter drives and rock the vote. If Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks have to bribe folks to vote or getting free cigarettes...then frankly that's a form of bribery.

If people need to be told to vote, or someone does some of their work by making it easier then those who won't bother to be informed will vote. Everybody does not have to vote. I prefer that they do not if they're not motivated to register or do anything else on behalf of the country.

One reason our own Framers had the limitations on who could voter originally for President is because they wanted informed people to vote.

dirk digler
11-04-2008, 10:30 AM
It's not a right if someone has to enforce it. This is just fascist nonsense.
Freedom means the right to abstain or not participate.

I have mixed feelings about all these voter drives and rock the vote.
If people need to be told to vote, or someone does some of their work by making it easier then those who won't bother to be informed will vote. Everybody does not have to vote. I prefer that they do not if they're not motivated to register or do anything else on behalf of the country.

For fake citizens they should have to vote or be deported. They are just lucky to be here.

DaFace
11-04-2008, 10:31 AM
I do think it's interesting to see Donger getting played for once.

Donger
11-04-2008, 10:32 AM
:evil:

Bastard! Touchy subject for me, obviously, since we are Constitutionally-declared second-class citizens.

Brock
11-04-2008, 10:32 AM
I'd rather they not vote. Most immigrants are stupid.

dirk digler
11-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Bastard! Touchy subject for me, obviously, since we are Constitutionally-declared second-class citizens.

LMAO

I know this is HUGE weakness in your game.

I just like messing with you on this.

Obviously I think naturalized citizens can do what they want since they are citizens.

Now I have very strong views on illegal immigrants and we should probably not get into that

Donger
11-04-2008, 10:35 AM
LMAO

Obviously I think naturalized citizens can do what they want since they are citizens.

Now I have very strong views on illegal immigrants and we should probably not get into that

You think that naturalized citizens should be eligible for POTUS?

And, yes, let's not discuss non-legally participating migrant guest workers today.

BucEyedPea
11-04-2008, 10:35 AM
For fake citizens they should have to vote or be deported. They are just lucky to be here.

A citizen is still a citizen is a citizen....no matter how you slice it.
It just happens to violate the 14th Amendment to take away that right or privelege however you wanna label it.

nychief
11-04-2008, 10:36 AM
your friend from work - should have voted.

Donger
11-04-2008, 10:36 AM
It just happens to violate the 14th Amendment to take away that right or privelege however you wanna label it.

That's incorrect.

Amnorix
11-04-2008, 10:37 AM
LMAO

Now I have very strong views on illegal immigrants and we should probably not get into that'

Sorry I blew this for you. Once I saw how thoroughly you had him dialed up, I figure I should let you play your game.

But I'm glad you took pity on the poor second-rate bastard. He can never be President, you know....

:fire:

BucEyedPea
11-04-2008, 10:37 AM

You were a Marine?

I have a former Navy Seal friend here. He could take you! :D

dirk digler
11-04-2008, 10:38 AM
You think that naturalized citizens should be eligible for POTUS?

And, yes, let's not discuss non-legally participating migrant guest workers today.

I really don't have a strong opinion on that. I think though there would have to be some kind of time limit on that. Maybe they have to be a citizen for 20 years or something like that.

Of course it would take a constitutional amendment to change that and I don't know if people would go for it.

BucEyedPea
That's incorrect.

How?

dirk digler

LMAO

I am just messing around BEP

Amnorix
11-04-2008, 10:39 AM

No kidding. Donger's not easy to get, Dirk had him good, and I blow it for him.

:doh!:

Donger
How?

dirk digler
'

Sorry I blew this for you. Once I saw how thoroughly you had him dialed up, I figure I should let you play your game.

But I'm glad you took pity on the poor second-rate bastard. He can never be President, you know....

:fire:

LMAO

If you ever want to mess with Donger immigration is the way to do it.

Donger
11-04-2008, 10:40 AM
No kidding. Donger's not easy to get, Dirk had him good, and I blow it for him.

:doh!:

Pinko no have killer instinct!

Donger
11-04-2008, 10:42 AM
LMAO

If you ever want to mess with Donger immigration is the way to do it.

It's been good to get out here in Colorado, and learn more about and speak with guest workers. They really are a decent bunch, just caught between "law" and hope. I feel a lot of kinship with them.

Amnorix
11-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Pinko no have killer instinct!

Then your faith in Obama should be boundless, because McCain is getting thoroughly killed today!

:p

BucEyedPea
11-04-2008, 10:47 AM

Yeah, sooooo...explain. I'm willing to learn.

According to a quick search I found this:

The citizenship application process can take anywhere from six months to two years, and once approved, a naturalized citizen has all of the rights and responsibilities of a United States citizen, although he or she is barred from serving in the offices of President and Vice President. <--- I knew this much but that's different...it's about leadership. There's also an age requirment.

And this indicates they may just be better informed:

The citizenship test includes questions which test the applicant's knowledge of English, American government, and American history. [also must show "good moral" character-- Is this you Donger? ]

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-naturalized-citizen.htm

Now for the part of the Fourteenth Amendment I was thinking about:

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Donger
11-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Yeah, sooooo...explain. I'm willing to learn.

According to a quick search I found this:

And this indicates they may just be better informed:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-naturalized-citizen.htm

Now for the part of the Fourteenth Amendment I was thinking about:

You wrote: "A citizen is still a citizen is a citizen....no matter how you slice it."

If I wanted to run for POTUS (or VPOTUS), I would not be permitted to do so, per the Constitution. So, some citizens are afforded privileges that others are not.

DaKCMan AP
11-04-2008, 11:29 AM

:)

BucEyedPea
11-04-2008, 12:48 PM
You wrote: "A citizen is still a citizen is a citizen....no matter how you slice it."

If I wanted to run for POTUS (or VPOTUS), I would not be permitted to do so, per the Constitution. So, some citizens are afforded privileges that others are not.

Well the context of the thread IS "taking away their right to vote." It wasn't about running for office which isn't a right. So using that, it's implied that it's about voting...or more than implied. Silly!

DaKCMan AP
11-04-2008, 01:30 PM
Well the context of the thread IS "taking away their right to vote." It wasn't about running for office which isn't a right. So using that, it's implied that it's about voting...or more than implied. Silly!

No, the thread isn't about taking away their right to vote. It's about revoking their citizenship, which is a privilege - not a right.

BucEyedPea
11-04-2008, 01:53 PM
No, the thread isn't about taking away their right to vote. It's about revoking their citizenship, which is a privilege - not a right.

Between the time I first posted, and then left I forgot the actual wording just remembering votes/citizenship. I didn't re-read it. Still Donger's placing it into another category of thing—leadership isn't the same thing. So my point to Donger still applies...including the 14th Amendment. In fact it's even a worse remedy for not voting as it punishes them for exercising their liberty which includes the right to abstain from something they don't want to do.