PDA

View Full Version : Elections McCain connecting with the regular folks... Doh!

jAZ
11-04-2008, 01:07 PM
He was just on the stump in CO and while introducing his mother (and using her to deflect questions about his age)... he said (paraphrase)

"Whenever people question me about my age, I introduce them to my 96 year old mother. She's so energetic that a couple of years ago she decided she wanted to drive around France, so she got on a plane, flew over there and tried to rent a car. They told her she was too old. So you know what she did? She BOUGHT a car and drove around Paris! (cheers, confusion, cheers)"

That is a great story, but off message I'd say.

At this point it matters none, but I thought it was strange and a reflection of how little he relates to the conditions of most Americans.

It's just a strange thing to talk about with "regular Americans"... how your mother had a whim and decided to fly to Paris and buy a car so she could drive around.

petegz28
11-04-2008, 01:10 PM
You mean its strange when people are trying to call you old to point out that your mother at 96 is still alive and active?

I feel sorry for your parents should they ever have to fall into your care.

jAZ
11-04-2008, 01:13 PM
You mean its strange when people are trying to call you old to point out that your mother at 96 is still alive and active?

Can someone translate this for me?

Goapics1
11-04-2008, 01:14 PM

"McCain rulez! Don't pick on him, he tuff guy unlike that gawddam Mooslim terrorist sumabitch!"

petegz28
11-04-2008, 01:16 PM

I didn't know I needed to use my big crayons.

What does McCain's age have to do with anything?

And in context...the assumption age is relevant is clearly refuted when you see someone 20+ years his senior living life actively.

But I can tell by your need to pile on for some reason, you are the type of person that will have your folks in a old peeps home when they hit 70 cause you think they are old and unable to do anything.

dirk digler
11-04-2008, 01:16 PM

I think his point was that McCain's mom bought a car in France since she couldn't rent one.

hey told her she was too old. So you know what she did? She BOUGHT a car and drove around Paris!

jidar
11-04-2008, 01:17 PM

And in context...the assumption age is relevant is clearly refuted when you see someone 20+ years his senior living life actively.

But I can tell by your need to pile on for some reason, you are the type of person that will have your folks in a old peeps home when they hit 70 cause you think they are old and unable to do anything.

uhhh.. jAZs post wasn't about age

jidar
11-04-2008, 01:17 PM
I think his point was that McCain's mom bought a car in France since she couldn't rent one.

Or that she could do something like fly to Paris and drive around that on a whim.

dirk digler
11-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Or that she could do something like fly to Paris and drive around that on a whim.

That too

RJ

Yep, that's how I read it.

BigChiefFan
Let them eat cake.

OnTheWarpath58
11-04-2008, 01:20 PM

I think his point was that McCain has no concept of what the average American is going through financially, considering he's trying to connect with them by passing on a story about how his mother can afford to fly to Paris on a whim, then buy a car outright when she's told she can't rent one.

That story isn't going to play well with people that struggle to make mortgage payments and keep food on the table.

petegz28
uhhh.. jAZs post wasn't about age

No, it was about what then?

Mecca
Ah to bad I thought he was going to say Joe the bum again instead of Joe the Plumber like he did the other day.

dirk digler
11-04-2008, 01:21 PM
I think his point was that McCain has no concept of what the average American is going through financially, considering he's trying to connect with them by passing on a story about how his mother can afford to fly to Paris on a whim, then buy a car outright when she's told she can't rent one.

That story isn't going to play well with people that struggle to make mortgage payments and keep food on the table.

I agree and that is what I tried to convey but you did it better

petegz28
Oh I get it, because McCain's mom who has lived 96 years and may be able to afford a trip to France after 96 years, McCain cannot relate because most of us have to go to work and stuff. I see ok.

I guess Obama should take money from his mom so she can't go to Paris and others can?

And all this after he was asked about his age?

WOW!

Mecca
I thought republicans hated france?

jAZ
11-04-2008, 01:23 PM

Yeah, you sorta missed the whole point. Maybe someone can help you translate my post.

McCain's age isn't the subject of my comments or this thread. It's the context he used to bring up his mom. Then the whole buy a car on a whim so I can drive around paris thing happened.

Anyway, it's all very complex. I sense you aren't ever going to catch up.

dirk digler
11-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Oh I get it, because McCain's mom who has lived 96 years and may be able to afford a trip to France after 96 years, McCain cannot relate because most of us have to go to work and stuff. I see ok.

I guess Obama should take money from his mom so she can't go to Paris and others can?

And all this after he was asked about his age?

WOW!

Try again

nychief
11-04-2008, 01:24 PM
age is relevant, IMO. He is not a well man...

Mecca
11-04-2008, 01:26 PM
age is relevant, IMO. He is not a well man...

And it became even more of an issue when he picked a total dumbass as his running mate.

jAZ
No, it was about what then?
Complex stuff. Here, maybe a video will help.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H_7lNT9oDzI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H_7lNT9oDzI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

petegz28
Try again

That all you got, skippy?

Guess I hit a little more close to the truth than I thought.

dirk digler
11-04-2008, 01:40 PM
That all you got, skippy?

Guess I hit a little more close to the truth than I thought.

Post #12 sums it up very nicely

petegz28
11-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Post #12 sums it up very nicely

Seems to me you are just jealous of his mom.

Wha.,....the white guys mom has money and I don't ...wha!!!!!

By contrast Obama's Aunt and Granny were\are living in slums.

It's obvious what the future holds for the parents of Obama supporters.

jAZ
11-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Seems to me you are just jealous of his mom.

Wha.,....the white guys mom has money and I don't ...wha!!!!!

By contrast Obama's Aunt and Granny were\are living in slums.

It's obvious what the future holds for the parents of Obama supporters.
Are you 14?

Fat Elvis
11-04-2008, 01:44 PM
I thought republicans hated france?

I'll give her a pass if the old bat is running down frogs.

Cannibal
11-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Every stump speech that McCain's wife speaks at seems a bit strange to me. She's always dressed in what appear to be REALLY expensive designer clothes and jewelery. Which, mind you, I do not have anything against at all. But she sticks out of the crowd like a sore thumb. When she gets up to speak she looks almost like a queen speaking to her minions, [about about Barack "spreading the wealth" no less LOL].

You'd think she'd want to dress down just a little bit for appearances at least and save the expensive stuff for the Country Club get togethers and Washington dinners.

petegz28
11-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Yeah, you sorta missed the whole point. Maybe someone can help you translate my post.

McCain's age isn't the subject of my comments or this thread. It's the context he used to bring up his mom. Then the whole buy a car on a whim so I can drive around paris thing happened.

Anyway, it's all very complex. I sense you aren't ever going to catch up.

Ok, if it isn't about his age, wtf was the point of the thread? You went onto say that this shows he is out of touch with Americans and I fail to see where you get this?

So why don't you just paint by numbers for me and tell me what the point of your post is? Cause you seem to be all over the joint.

jAZ
11-04-2008, 01:54 PM
Ok, if it isn't about his age, wtf was the point of the thread? You went onto say that this shows he is out of touch with Americans and I fail to see where you get this?

So why don't you just paint by numbers for me and tell me what the point of your post is? Cause you seem to be all over the joint.

It's just you. Everyone else on this thread gets it.

Do you know what the term "tone deaf" means in this context? Both you and McCain seem to suffer from it, and for the record it's not a condition related to age at all.

Carlota69
11-04-2008, 01:57 PM

If you can't figure out the point of this thread, it may because your all over A joint.

petegz28
It's just you. Everyone else on this thread gets it.

Do you know what the term "tone deaf" means in this context? Both you and McCain seem to suffer from it, and for the record it's not a condition related to age at all.

I fail to see the point of this post at all. So you are whining cause his mom went to Paris during an economic downturn?

If you say it wasn't about his age, though several parts of your post reference age, and it isn't about him being out of touch, i.e. mom going to paris and buying a car while peeps at home pay high $ for gas

what is the point that just seems to elude me?

Cannibal
[/B]

If you can't figure out the point of this thread, it may because your all over A joint.

I wish I was. :cuss:

RJ
It's early yet, but so far this one gets my vote for the Funniest Thread of the Day Award.

petegz28
11-04-2008, 01:58 PM
[/B]

If it is so obvious why are you the second person who claims they get it but can't answer my question? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

mlyonsd
11-04-2008, 01:59 PM
And there you have it, a class warfare thread.

petegz28
11-04-2008, 02:00 PM

If it isn't about age, it must be. Though I keep getting told it isn't. And no one can really tell me what the actual point is, though they claim they know.

jAZ
11-04-2008, 02:01 PM
I fail to see the point of this post at all. So you are whining cause his mom went to Paris during an economic downturn?

If you say it wasn't about his age, though several parts of your post reference age, and it isn't about him being out of touch, i.e. mom going to paris and buying a car while peeps at home pay high $ for gas

what is the point that just seems to elude me?
She went to paris a few years ago. Post #12 spells it out very clearly. If that doesn't help you understand, I'd just step away from this thread entirely.

RJ
11-04-2008, 02:01 PM
This thread never had a chance. It was dead before it started.

And then - and then.....

jAZ
11-04-2008, 02:02 PM
If it isn't about age, it must be. Though I keep getting told it isn't. And no one can really tell me what the actual point is, though they claim they know.

ROFL

Carlota69
11-04-2008, 02:02 PM
If it is so obvious why are you the second person who claims they get it but can't answer my question? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The point is "Regular Joe the Plumbers" can't just on a whim fly to Paris, and then just buy a car because they want to get around for a week or so. What did she do with the car after the vacation BTW? leave it behind like the shampoo she didnt want to carry back?

Its cool that his family has that much money to do so, its just odd on the campaign trail, where you say you can understand and help fix the econmoic ailments of this country, but then tell a story that is far out of our economic realities.

The only reason age is in the discussion is because McCain was referring to people complaining about his age.

petegz28
11-04-2008, 02:03 PM
She went to paris a few years ago. Post #12 spells it out very clearly. If that doesn't help you understand, I'd just step away from this thread entirely.

See, there you go again. I said this was whining about his mom having money to go to Paris, you say it isn't and then point me to a thread that whines because McCain is out of touch cause his mom is going to Paris.

Like I said dude, you are all over the place. In fact you can't even keep track of your own bullshit.

Just say this is a post whining cause McCain's momma has money and you don't?

petegz28
11-04-2008, 02:05 PM
The point is "Regular Joe the Plumbers" can't just on a whim fly to Paris, and then just buy a car because they want to get around for a week or so. What did she do with the car after the vacation BTW? leave it behind like the shampoo she didnt want to carry back?

Its cool that his family has that much money to do so, its just odd on the campaign trail, where you say you can understand and help fix the econmoic ailments of this country, but then tell a story that is far out of our economic realities.

The only reason age is in the discussion is because McCain was referring to people complaining about his age.

So when I said this was Libs whining cause momma has money and they don't why was I told I don't get the point of the post?

Seems to me that I got it clearly. His mom has money, you don't and it pisses you off. What's not to get?

Is there some rule that says cause you are hurting economicaly that people are not allowed to take vacations?

Did you tell Pelosi's family to knock off their vacation plans? What about the Clintons? Think the Obama's won't vacation?

Cannibal
11-04-2008, 02:05 PM
See, there you go again. I said this was whining about his mom having money to go to Paris, you say it isn't and then point me to a thread that whines because McCain is out of touch cause his mom is going to Paris.

Like I said dude, you are all over the place. In fact you can't even keep track of your own bullshit.

Just say this is a post whining cause McCain's momma has money and you don't?

Face it, you failed miserably in this thread. Cut your losses and move on.

petegz28
11-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Face it, you failed miserably in this thread. Cut your losses and move on.

How have I failed? I just had 2 people, 1 of them the OP tell me it was all aboiut McCain being out of touch cause of his momma?

Face, it, you thought there was some other point to the post and there wasn't and you are trying to pretend there is and that you know it. Though you don't.

Carlota69
11-04-2008, 02:07 PM
So when I said this was Libs whining cause momma has money and they don't why was I told I don't get the point of the post?

Seems to me that I got it clearly. His mom has money, you don't and it pisses you off. What's not to get?

Is there some rule that says cause you are hurting economicaly that people are not allowed to take vacations?

Did you tell Pelosi's family to knock off their vacation plans? What about the Clintons? Think the Obama's won't vacation?

Damn, you are smoking a big fatty!:bong:

petegz28
11-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Damn, you are smoking a big fatty!:bong:

Somehow I think you all felt differently in 04 as Kerry himself was snow skiing.

But again tell me how this isn't whining about Mother McCain and her trip to Paris that you did not get?

mlyonsd
11-04-2008, 02:11 PM

The point of this thread is to start getting libs on the planet used to the idea that bashing those that make over $150k or own a gas guzzling SUV is just part of the norm under an Obama/Reid/Pelosi ticket.

Calcountry
11-04-2008, 02:12 PM
He was just on the stump in CO and while introducing his mother (and using her to deflect questions about his age)... he said (paraphrase)
"Whenever people question me about my age, I introduce them to my 96 year old mother. She's so energetic that a couple of years ago she decided she wanted to drive around France, so she got on a plane, flew over there and tried to rent a car. They told her she was too old. So you know what she did? She BOUGHT a car and drove around Paris! (cheers, confusion, cheers)"

At this point it matters none, but I thought it was strange and a reflection of how little he relates to the conditions of most Americans.

It's just a strange thing to talk about with "regular Americans"... how your mother had a whim and decided to fly to Paris and buy a car so she could drive around.GAME CHANGER< OH NOOOOS

BigChiefFan
11-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Dude, connect the dots. Can YOU just jetset over to Paris at a whim and then purchase a car because you can't get a rental? Somehow, I doubt the average Joe can relate to that. How in the Hell are you not UNDERSTANDING that?

dirk digler
11-04-2008, 02:19 PM

Because he is saying he is fighting for the middle class while his mom flies to Paris on a whim, can't rent a car so she decides to buy one just so she can drive around France.

How many middle class families do you know that can do that?

Baby Lee
11-04-2008, 02:20 PM

It's just a strange thing to talk about with "regular Americans"... how your mother had a whim and decided to fly to Paris and buy a car so she could drive around.

They don't sell used cars in France?

Ironically, they replayed the Top Gear where the gang saw if they could buy and later sell a beater, after driving from Miami to New Orleans, cheaper than they could rent, last night.

OnTheWarpath58
11-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Dear God, Pete. I know your smarter than this. I hope your just pushing buttons here...

No one is "whining" about Mrs. McCain flying to Paris. Good for her, more power to her.

The point is, that McCain is using this story to try to connect with the average American. People that live paycheck to paycheck. People that work their ass off to struggle to pay bills and keep food on the table for their families.

"My friends, I know you struggle to pay your bills. I know you work hard to provide for your family. I know you feel like your getting screwed at every turn. Well, my 96 year old mother decided she wanted to go to Paris on a whim, and when they told here she was too old to rent a car, so she bought one outright and discarded it like a bar of hotel soap. Ain't America great?"

Dude, connect the dots. Can YOU just jetset over to Paris at a whim and then purchase a car because you can't get a rental? Somehow, I doubt the average Joe can relate to that. How in the Hell are you not UNDERSTANDING that?

Because he is saying he is fighting for the middle class while his mom flies to Paris on a whim, can't rent a car so she decides to buy one just so she can drive around France.

How many middle class families do you know that can do that?

This, and this.

Brock
11-04-2008, 02:21 PM
I thought the point was about his age not being a factor.

dirk digler
11-04-2008, 02:24 PM

It isn't a class warfare thread it is a political statement thread.

How do you connect with middle class voters and then tell that story?

Baby Lee
11-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Dear God, Pete. I know your smarter than this. I hope your just pushing buttons here...

No one is "whining" about Mrs. McCain flying to Paris. Good for her, more power to her.

The point is, that McCain is using this story to try to connect with the average American. People that live paycheck to paycheck. People that work their ass off to struggle to pay bills and keep food on the table for their families.

"My friends, I know you struggle to pay your bills. I know you work hard to provide for your family. I know you feel like your getting screwed at every turn. Well, my 96 year old mother decided she wanted to go to Paris on a whim, and when they told here she was too old to rent a car, so she bought one outright and discarded it like a bar of hotel soap. Ain't America great?"

Whenever people question me about my age != Whenever people question me about how I connect with the average American.

petegz28
11-04-2008, 02:27 PM

I guess everyone must suffer cause some of the middle class is?

How do you blast him for that statement and not feel selfish?

RJ
11-04-2008, 02:28 PM
I can totally relate to this.

I'm going to turn 50 next year. When my friends remind me of that, I remind them that my mother has never owned a car.

Age is just a word. Or a number......No, wait, it's a number word.

Carlota69
11-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Somehow I think you all felt differently in 04 as Kerry himself was snow skiing.

But again tell me how this isn't whining about Mother McCain and her trip to Paris that you did not get?

I didnt vote for Kerry. Keep on tokin'...

petegz28
11-04-2008, 02:31 PM
I can totally relate to this.

I'm going to turn 50 next year. When my friends remind me of that, I remind them that my mother has never owned a car.

Age is just a word. Or a number......No, wait, it's a number word.

A number word? Like for those word problems involving numbers?

dirk digler
11-04-2008, 02:32 PM
I guess everyone must suffer cause some of the middle class is?

How do you blast him for that statement and not feel selfish?

Once again you are not getting it.

I don't care how rich anyone is but when you are running for POTUS and trying to persuade people that you are fighting for the middle class then I wouldn't tell that story because 99.9% of those middle class people couldn't do what his mom did.

jAZ
11-04-2008, 02:33 PM

Ironically, they replayed the Top Gear where the gang saw if they could buy and later sell a beater, after driving from Miami to New Orleans, cheaper than they could rent, last night.
McCain's mom dreamed of driving through Paris in a beater!

Funniest post in a long, long time!

ROFL

RJ
11-04-2008, 02:37 PM

Drove around France in a beater, spending the night in hostels, smoking pot and drinking red wine with strangers.

I like it.

Baby Lee
11-04-2008, 02:42 PM

ROFL

I didn't say she bought a beater, the Top Gear guys did [well, a beater each]. Is it all that farfetched to think she bought the French equivalent of a rental fleet car and resold it after her trip?

Brock
11-04-2008, 02:44 PM

ROFL

It's not quite as funny as your turning a comment about ageism into a statement about economic class.

dirk digler
11-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Drove around France in a beater, spending the night in hostels, smoking pot and drinking red wine with strangers.

I like it.

LMAO

I bet she put out to the old French guys too.

Her lips were a sagging

RJ
11-04-2008, 02:45 PM
I didn't say she bought a beater, the Top Gear guys did. Is it all that farfetched to think she bought the French equivalent of a rental fleet car and resold it after her trip?

Oh, you were serious. Damn, I thought you were kidding. Too bad, it would have made a really funny joke and it seemed like your brand of humor.

mlyonsd
11-04-2008, 02:51 PM

It's a political statement thread using class warfare as the premise.

petegz28
11-04-2008, 02:52 PM
Once again you are not getting it.

I don't care how rich anyone is but when you are running for POTUS and trying to persuade people that you are fighting for the middle class then I wouldn't tell that story because 99.9% of those middle class people couldn't do what his mom did.

Thus my accustaion of jealousy and whining.

jAZ
11-04-2008, 02:54 PM
I didn't say she bought a beater, the Top Gear guys did. Is it all that farfetched to think she bought the French equivalent of a rental fleet car and resold it after her trip?
Like I said in my post, I think it's a great story. It doesn't matter whether is't a $10,000 car or a $100,000 car... In either case, it's a story that reflects McCain's tone-deaf nature WRT to the financial perspective of the average American.

There has to be a less elite story he can tell about his mother to explain how spry she is at 96.

But the image of McCain's mom hoping on a plane to Paris only to be tooling around the city with a wide grin, absolutely enjoying every minute of her experience... and then the camera pans back to show she's driving a rusted out Peugot with a hubcap flying off the back wheel and rolling down the road...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/3/10905216_87c55dd722.jpg?v=0

... brought me to tears.

Baby Lee
11-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Oh, you were serious. Damn, I thought you were kidding. Too bad, it would have made a really funny joke and it seemed like your brand of humor.

No, you're right, she put a Veyron on her Black Amex, dogged it out until one of its 10 radiators blew and left it sitting with the keys in it under the Tower of Pisa!!!!

Just another day in the life of the nonagenarian uber rich!!!!

RJ
11-04-2008, 02:57 PM
But the image of McCain's mom hoping on a plane to Paris only to be tooling around the city with a wide grin, absolutely enjoying every minute of her experience... and then the camera pans back to show she's driving a rusted out Peugot with a hubcap flying off the back wheel and rolling down the road...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/3/10905216_87c55dd722.jpg?v=0

... brought me to tears.

Same here, that's why I thought it was a joke......and a damn funny one at that. BL is a witty guy, it just sounded like something he'd say.

petegz28
11-04-2008, 02:58 PM

This, and this.

Why must you fuck with my fun?

Baby Lee
Like I said in my post, I think it's a great story. It doesn't matter whether is't a $10,000 car or a $100,000 car... In either case, it's a story that reflects McCain's tone-deaf nature WRT to the financial perspective of the average American.

There has to be a less elite story he can tell about his mother to explain how spry she is at 96.

... brought me to tears.

Oh yeah, I forgot what douchebags you guys can be when triumphal. Better recalibrate the honeymoon-o-meter a schkosh.

RJ
No, you're right, she put a Veyron on her Black Amex, dogged it out until one of its 10 radiators blew and left it sitting with the keys in it under the Tower of Pisa!!!!

Just another day in the life of the nonagenarian uber rich!!!!

ROFL

There you go, BL, that's the spirit.

jAZ
11-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot what douchebags you guys can be when triumphal. Better recalibrate the honeymoon-o-meter a schkosh.
What the hell are you talking about. Unintentionally, it seems, you created an image that is friggen hillarious. Why do you have to be bitchy about that? I acknolwedged your point (that it could be a rental), and pointed out that it woudn't matter WRT to being a tone deaf story to tell.

That you can't laugh a something harmless like the accidental image you created... and instead of addressing my direct response to you... instead you start with the triple-popped-collar-spray-on-tan-spikey-hair insult... that says a whole lot about your perspective... and nothing about anything else.

jAZ
11-04-2008, 03:11 PM
It's funny and I don't even know what a Veyron is!

ROFL

Baby Lee
11-04-2008, 03:16 PM
What the hell are you talking about. Unintentionally, it seems, you created an image that is friggen hillarious. Why do you have to be bitchy about that? I acknolwedged your point (that it could be a rental), and pointed out that it woudn't matter WRT to being a tone deaf story to tell.

That you can't laugh a something harmless like the accidental image you created... and instead of addressing my direct response to you... instead you start with the triple-popped-collar-spray-on-tan-spikey-hair insult... that says a whole lot about your perspective... and nothing about anything else.

You know more about framing than to say that with a straight face [or you're framing instructors owe you a shit ton of $$ back]. You're invested in the image of McCain's mom buying an expensive car and throwing it in the gutter, and when I throw up the more reasonable alternative, you caricature it as a preposterous image at the other end of the spectrum. There's a big gulf between an innocent laugh about an inadvertent mental image [derived from misreading my post in the first place] and ridiculing a sensible interpretation in a desperate attempt to preserve your own hyperspun mental image.

jAZ
11-04-2008, 03:18 PM
You know more about framing than to say that with a straight face [or you're framing instructors owe you a shit ton of $$ back]. You're invested in the image of McCain's mom buying an expensive car and throwing it in the gutter, and when I throw up the more reasonable alternative, you caricature it as a preposterous image at the other end of the spectrum. There's a big gulf between an innocent laugh about an inadvertent mental image [derived from misreading my post in the first place] and ridiculing a sensible interpretation in a desperate attempt to preserve your own hyperspun mental image.
I see your point. That's not even remotely mine though. Honestly.