PDA

View Full Version : Elections Too bad this election isn't taking place in England

Nightwish
11-04-2008, 05:53 PM
According to one CNN correspondent, England's polls are favoring Obama by 80% or more.

kcpasco
11-04-2008, 05:54 PM
tea and crumpets for everyone

Jenson71
11-04-2008, 05:55 PM
United States citizens in England, probably.

Nightwish
11-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Oops, typo in the thread title. It should read "isn't taking place in England."

Iowanian
11-04-2008, 06:06 PM
I sure know that I believe that people in other nations have the best for the United States......

Nightwish
11-04-2008, 06:08 PM
I sure know that I believe that people in other nations have the best for the United States......
People in other nations tend to be more keenly globally aware, as well as having more insight into the impact of our actions in the world. Americans tend to be woefully ignorant of what goes on outside our borders and how we affect other nations, unless we're dropping bombs on them.

Iowanian
11-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Of course they want an American President who will cower down and give up American best interest in favor of the wishes of weaker nations.

The last thing I want is a president who makes American decisions based on what Europeans think he should do. They don't give a crap if their eco-crap has negative impact on our economy or citizens as long as it benefits THEM.

Nightwish
11-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Of course they want an American President who will cower down and give up American best interest in favor of the wishes of weaker nations.

The last thing I want is a president who makes American decisions based on what Europeans think he should do. They don't give a crap if their eco-crap has negative impact on our economy or citizens as long as it benefits THEM.
No, I'm well aware that you'd prefer a President who thinks it's still the Wild West.

Iowanian
11-04-2008, 06:21 PM
I want a president who cares about Americans and American Interests more than NON Americans.

I understand that 'home team' is a foreign concept to some of you drooler-Americans.

petegz28
11-04-2008, 06:22 PM
No, I'm well aware that you'd prefer a President who thinks it's still the Wild West.

You are always free to move to England.

Nightwish
11-04-2008, 06:28 PM
I want a president who cares about Americans and American Interests more than NON Americans.
You have no concept of American interests. The US doesn't exist on an island, something you've yet to grasp.

Nightwish
11-04-2008, 06:29 PM
You are always free to move to England.
Why would I want to leave? From the way it looks, I'm on the winning side.

petegz28
11-04-2008, 06:29 PM
You have no concept of American interests. The US doesn't exist on an island, something you've yet to grasp.

Translation: You don't think like I do so therefore you are a tard.

And you obviously failed to notice that big thing called the Atlantic Ocean that separates us from the people you love so much in Liberal Europe.

Iowanian
11-04-2008, 06:31 PM
I know, the United States is mostly on the continent of North America, which it shares with Canada and Mexico, as well as several islands composing states and territories.

I have more concept of American interests than you appear to be able to grasp.

Selling out American corporations for Eco-causes while China and others do as they wish is NOT in American interests whatsoever. Military decisions need to consider our allies opinions and support, but not rely on them for permission.

Nightwish
11-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Translation: You don't think like I do so therefore you are a tard.

And you obviously failed to notice that big thing called the Atlantic Ocean that separates us from the people you love so much in Liberal Europe.
Have you failed to notice that that ocean isn't nearly as big a divide as it once was, now that we live in an age where distance doesn't matter much? But if you have convinced yourself that we live on an island, that we don't need the rest of the world, and that we don't need to be concerned with our place in the world, you're welcome to that fantasy.

Iowanian
11-04-2008, 06:32 PM
You've failed to notice that Europeans have often called for big bad USA to come and save them from war, famine, economic crisis......

When is the last time Europe really put its neck on the line for the United States?

Maybe you can get your terrot cards or conjur some pagan spell to help you understand. Weep with the forest for a while and maybe the uvulation will bring you clarity.

petegz28
11-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Have you failed to notice that that ocean isn't nearly as big a divide as it once was, now that we live in an age where distance doesn't matter much? But if you have convinced yourself that we live on an island, that we don't need the rest of the world, and that we don't need to be concerned with our place in the world, you're welcome to that fantasy.

Oh let guess, you are one of the "citizens of the world" right?

:)

Nightwish
11-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Selling out American corporations for Eco-causes while China and others do as they wish is NOT in American interests whatsoever.
So why are you supporting the party that is the prime mover in outsourcing jobs? That whole thing isn't about making the US more global, it's about cutting costs by circumventing US labor regulations. That's why so many corporations with so many ties to the GOP are so eager to promote it.

BigMeatballDave
11-04-2008, 06:34 PM
People in other nations tend to be more keenly globally aware, as well as having more insight into the impact of our actions in the world. Americans tend to be woefully ignorant of what goes on outside our borders and how we affect other nations, unless we're dropping bombs on them.This.

KILLER_CLOWN
11-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Gee i guess globalism is catching on, So much for Americas' Sovereignty.

Nightwish
11-04-2008, 06:35 PM
You've failed to notice that Europeans have often called for big bad USA to come and save them from war, famine, economic crisis......

When is the last time Europe really put its neck on the line for the United States?

Maybe you can get your terrot cards or conjur some pagan spell to help you understand. Weep with the forest for a while and maybe the uvulation will bring you clarity.
When was the last time the US had its neck on the line? I'll tell you - with the Iraq war, and our neck was on the proverbial line because we put it there with no help from anyone else. We got ourselves into the mess all on our own.

petegz28
11-04-2008, 06:36 PM
When was the last time the US had its neck on the line? I'll tell you - with the Iraq war, and our neck was on the proverbial line because we put it there with no help from anyone else. We got ourselves into the mess all on our own.

You mean when countries like France sided with us until it was time to actually do something and they got mad cause Bush's bullets fucked up their oil for food scam?

Iowanian
11-04-2008, 06:37 PM
So why are you supporting the party that is the prime mover in outsourcing jobs? That whole thing isn't about making the US more global, it's about cutting costs by circumventing US labor regulations. That's why so many corporations with so many ties to the GOP are so eager to promote it.

I'm an independent.

Which party is it that invokes the taxes on corporations that makes them leave? Which party is it that invokes such restrictive environmental regulations that stiffle business or make them move? Which party is it that restricts nuclear energy? Oil drilling? Construction of new refineries in the past 30 years?

Meditate on that for a minute before responding.

Iowanian
11-04-2008, 06:38 PM

And Europe lined up to save us.....

oh.

The British did bleed with us. They're about our only true allie.

Nightwish
11-04-2008, 06:39 PM
I'm an independent.

Which party is it that invokes the taxes on corporations that makes them leave? Which party is it that invokes such restrictive environmental regulations that stiffle business or make them move? Which party is it that restricts nuclear energy? Oil drilling? Construction of new refineries in the past 30 years?

Doesn't matter. They're leaving to save the bottom dollar and circumvent US labor and environmental regulations. And the GOP promotes it.

Iowanian
11-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Uh No.

They're leaving because of taxes, regulations and restrictions put in place by DEMOCRATS.

I'm sure you're a big fan of NAFTA. Who pushed that through again? When did a flood of American corporations hop just over the Tejas boarder?

Jenson71
11-04-2008, 06:41 PM
I'm an independent.

There's a book called Caught in the Middle about globalism and the midwest. Written by a guy from Iowa, Richard Longworth, and he talks a good amount about Iowa, farmland, manufacturing. I'm reading it now and it's pretty repetitive, but I like it. Check it out.

petegz28
11-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Doesn't matter. They're leaving to save the bottom dollar and circumvent US labor and environmental regulations. And the GOP promotes it.

You mean the labor regulations and environmental regulations that the Dems stuff down our throat?

Nightwish
11-04-2008, 06:43 PM
And Europe lined up to save us.....
Why should they? We had already effectively given them all the finger because they wouldn't buy Bush's bullshit. They didn't line up to save us, and they shouldn't have been expected to. I wouldn't expect them to step in to help us when we're in a serious bind not of our own making. But when we're hoist by our own petard, why should they?

The British did bleed with us. They're about our only true allie.
"The British" didn't support us anymore than anyone else did. Tony Blair acted on his own against the wishes of his people by allying his military with ours. He paid the price for it. Where is he now?

KILLER_CLOWN
11-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Tony Blair acted on his own against the wishes of his people by allying his military with ours. He paid the price for it. Where is he now?

Rolling around on the floor channeling spirits?

Nightwish
11-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Uh No.

They're leaving because of taxes, regulations and restrictions put in place by DEMOCRATS.
In most cases, while those taxes and regulations are restrictive, they're not going to bankrupt the companies. They could easily choose to act responsibly and conform to all of the above, and 99% of them would still rake in the big bucks. They chose not act responsibly, but instead to cut corners. And the GOP promotes it.

I'm sure you're a big fan of NAFTA. Who pushed that through again? When did a flood of American corporations hop just over the Tejas boarder?
I'm not a big fan of NAFTA. I'm not a fan of any kind of outsourcing like that. But you're attempting to portray that it's all the work of the Democrats, and that couldn't be further from the truth.

Nightwish
11-04-2008, 06:48 PM
Rolling around on the floor channeling spirits?
I dunno. Is he a Pentacostal? I didn't know.

KILLER_CLOWN
11-04-2008, 07:01 PM
I dunno. Is he a Pentacostal? I didn't know.

He recently converted to Catholicism publically, but every morning he awakes to "Channel the Light".

Baby Lee
11-04-2008, 07:13 PM

So, if I understand you, us sticking our nose into Iraq is a mess, but England deciding our government is a good idea?

Iowanian
11-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Obviously BL....

Nightwish
11-04-2008, 07:21 PM
So, if I understand you, us sticking our nose into Iraq is a mess, but England deciding our government is a good idea?
Now, where did I ever say or imply that another country should decide our government? Where are you people getting this stuff? What I implied is that it is interesting just how much support Obama is getting in Britain, and I implied that we should care at least a little bit about what other countries think of us. Now, please tell me, how exactly does that translate into "England deciding our government is a good idea?" Unless you were just reading the thread title waaaaaaaay too literally! I would expect someone like Iowanian to make a mistake like that, but you have always seemed a bit more intelligent than that.

MagicHef
11-04-2008, 07:25 PM
People in other nations tend to be more keenly globally aware, as well as having more insight into the impact of our actions in the world. Americans tend to be woefully ignorant of what goes on outside our borders and how we affect other nations, unless we're dropping bombs on them.

I'm sorry, but in my experience, this is not true. Although, my experience has been primarily with Europeans and Australians, so perhaps that colors my view a bit.

Iowanian
11-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Maybe you're just THAT transparent....

Nightwish
11-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Maybe you're just THAT transparent....
Whatever you say, Io. Go back to your pudding, now.

Iowanian
11-04-2008, 07:54 PM
sorry sport, I'm still working.

Its not my fault you have the physical stamina of Brody Croyle with the wonderlic of a Miami Hurricane, the composure of Ryan Leaf and the bowel control of Al Da vis.

Nightwish
11-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Its not my fault you have the physical stamina of Brody Croyle
I wondered why I was so sore this morning!

Amnorix
11-04-2008, 09:20 PM
According to one CNN correspondent, England's polls are favoring Obama by 80% or more.

What difference would it have made.

One good thing about this election -- we've gotten a hell of a lot of international goodwill back that our current moronic President pissed away. I know many here think that it's meaningless, but then you whine when nobody helps deal with issues like Iraq.

petegz28
11-04-2008, 09:22 PM

One good thing about this election -- we've gotten a hell of a lot of international goodwill back that our current moronic President pissed away. I know many here think that it's meaningless, but then you whine when nobody helps deal with issues like Iraq.

Yes cause those Euros who you wish to appease so much are doing so much to help us. I know, I know.....Bush fucked up the Oil for Food scam.

Nightwish
11-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Yes cause those Euros who you wish to appease so much are doing so much to help us. I know, I know.....Bush ****ed up the Oil for Food scam.
If you really believe that the Oil for Food debacle is the reason why we lost so much international support, then you really are a dunce.

Nightwish
11-04-2008, 09:52 PM

It wouldn't have made a difference, and I didn't really expect anyone to think that I meant the election should have been held there. It was just a way of pointing out how lopsided the support for the Democrats vs. the Republicans in the UK, the country that the war supporters have always tried to prop up as the staunchest international supporters of their agenda.