PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs lose to Chargers when they fail on two-point conversion

Tribal Warfare
11-10-2008, 11:44 PM
Chiefs lose to Chargers when they fail on two-point conversion (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/882943.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

SAN DIEGO | For exactly 59 minutes and 37 seconds of football Sunday, the Chiefs had good reason to dream that Tyler Thigpen could be the young quarterback to take them into the future.

The last 23 seconds of their 20-19 loss to the San Diego Chargers showed them that such thinking is premature.

Thigpen looked like a seasoned pro for most of the way, leading the Chiefs on a pressure-packed touchdown drive that ended with his 3-yard touchdown pass to Tony Gonzalez with 23 seconds left.

Things fell apart for Thigpen when the Chiefs attempted a two-point conversion to win the game. He locked on to his intended receiver, Gonzalez, who was being held up. He never looked to his other receiver, Mark Bradley, or contemplated running the 2 yards.

Instead, he lofted a sickly pass that never had a chance to get to Gonzalez or any of the other Chiefs.

So, despite often brilliant play from their quarterback, the result was familiar. The Chiefs had another agonizing loss.

Thigpen was in no mood to dissect what either he or his coaches could have done differently.

“We’d do the same thing,” he said shortly. “I’m not questioning any calls here.”

Up until that point, the Chiefs were confident Thigpen would deliver, because he’d done so all day. He guided the Chiefs on a 95-yard touchdown drive on their first possession and took them to another touchdown late in the first half, though they came away with six points and not seven that time when a bad snap ruined the point-after try.

In his first real do-or-die situation — the Chiefs took over at their 40 down 20-13 with 3 minutes left — Thigpen looked like he’d done it many times.

The Chiefs converted twice on third down and once on fourth down on the drive. He gunned the fourth-down pass to Mark Bradley for 11 yards.

“He stayed calm and cool the whole time,” center Rudy Niswanger said. “That’s what you want from a quarterback in that situation. He stayed confident. He made the plays they gave to him and he didn’t force anything that wasn’t there.

“Every game he steps into the huddle, you notice a little more confidence in him every time.”

Coach Herm Edwards ordered the Chiefs to go for two points after their last touchdown, a move that caught no one by surprise. The injury-depleted Chiefs defense was in no position to play any more on Sunday.

“It’s not even a question what you do,” Edwards said. “These guys deserved to win a football game. These guys are so beat up on defense that it wouldn’t have been fair to not try (to win). We just ran out of bodies. You’ve got to understand where your team’s at.”

They had a play they liked, sending Gonzalez to the back of the end zone against safety Clinton Hart. Gonzalez had been beating Hart all day with 10 catches for 113 yards and two touchdowns.

Gonzalez was held up off the line. Both he and Thigpen protested to the officials that Hart should have been penalized for holding, but no flag was thrown.

“He was getting held the whole way,” Thigpen said. “He got hit before the ball even got there.

“I wasn’t questioning his call, but I was just saying, ‘Why not a penalty there?’ That puts a lot on the ref to throw a flag in their place on a two-point conversion.”

Gonzalez was even more emphatic.

“I came off the line of scrimmage and he grabbed me from both sides,” he said. “I was turned around backwards trying to get away from him. He just wouldn’t let go of me.

“I think (the referees were) trying to let us play, but that was ridiculous. He held me. At that point, the way I felt my game was going, that’s probably all he could do. If he would have given me an inch, I felt like Tyler would have thrown it up there. I’m taller than him and maybe I could have made that play.”

The Chiefs are 1-8 and have lost five straight games and 17 of their last 18 going back to last season. But it’s the last three games — the Chiefs were leading in the final moments against the Jets and Buccaneers and had the chance to win Sunday — that sting the most.

“I feel I’m going to have a mental breakdown sometimes,” Gonzalez said. “The losing becomes unbearable, especially when guys are working so hard. We can’t get it done. But there are positives. We are moving in the right direction. We’re going to be a pretty good football team before this season is over. We’re almost there. We’re knocking on the door and it’s open. We’ve just got to walk through.

“I feel like the football gods should throw us a bone and give us a win. Just one.”

blueballs
11-11-2008, 02:11 AM
Tiecher will turn in to Jack Harry
he's half way there now

dj56dt58
11-11-2008, 02:29 AM
this is ****ing retarted..thigpen did not fall apart. the play was a rollout to the right, his only option was covered and he had a guy right in his face..not to mention the pass interference. He threw it up to give somebody a chance to make a play before he got sacked

mikey23545
11-11-2008, 03:33 AM
Teicher must suck out the asshole of every gay prostitute in the midwest to be this full of shit.

To blame the loss on Thigpen, of all people, is just unbelievable. This is an Athan-worthy article right here.

Guru
11-11-2008, 03:39 AM
Are you friggin kidding me. He wants to paint Thiggy as the reason we lost?

In the words of two famous CP posters...

JFC kill yourself

mikey23545
11-11-2008, 03:52 AM
Are you friggin kidding me. He wants to paint Thiggy as the reason we lost?

In the words of two famous CP posters...

JFC kill yourself

Die in a fire is a good one too...

BigChiefFan
11-11-2008, 09:12 AM
Teicher comes across as a disgruntled employee. Covering the Chiefs will do that to a person.

Brock
11-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Teicher is an admitted Raiders fan.

Demonpenz
11-11-2008, 09:23 AM
I swore the play we were running was the roll out right. Cox or cottom acts like they fall down or block then go out for a pass oppo side. They ususally have special two point plays or "win" plays. I was dissapointed. Oh well

Deberg_1990
11-11-2008, 09:27 AM
It was probably the wrong play call. They had stopped a rollout just a few plays earlier and were expecting it with Thigpen.

Demonpenz
11-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Once we get tebow we can run the qb draw with option to dump it too tight end

bobbything
11-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Adam Teicher is the only member of the KC media that absolutely infuriates me. He's so incredibly arrogant and, judging by this article, is clueless.

Thigpen had two options on that rollout; Gonzalez or Bradley. Both of whom were covered very well. He couldn't run it in because he himself was being covered. I even heard Teicher in Herm's presser say that "it appeared Thigpen gave up on the play."

I wish Teicher would have been released from the Star instead of Flannagan.

bobbything
11-11-2008, 09:49 AM
Also, the title of this thread should read "Chiefs lose to Chargers when they fail to kick an extra point."

Conveniently he just glossed over the botched snap that led to the Chiefs having to go for 2 points.

F*ck you Teicher.

ceebz
11-11-2008, 09:50 AM
I didn't care much for the play call. I would have much preferred that the Chiefs go shotgun and run some type of pick play.

To blame that final play on Thigpen is ludicrous IMO. He's got Phillips coming hard at him, if Thiggy runs, he probably gets sacked. If he tosses it to Bradley, I don't know if he gets in. Throwing a 'jump ball' to your HoF TE seems like the right play to me.

J Diddy
11-11-2008, 09:50 AM
It was probably the wrong play call. They had stopped a rollout just a few plays earlier and were expecting it with Thigpen.

but, but it works everytime in practice...