PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Covitz: Chiefs’ Johnson returns to work

Tribal Warfare
11-11-2008, 12:17 AM
Chiefs’ Johnson returns to work (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/884374.html)
By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star

His one-game suspension complete, Chiefs running back Larry Johnson reported to Arrowhead Stadium on Monday, watched tape, worked on conditioning and attended meetings.

Whether he’ll be in uniform on Sunday against New Orleans is coach Herm Edwards’ call.

“Oh yeah,” Edwards replied when asked whether Johnson will play this week.

“He’s doing well. He’s excited about getting going. We had a good discussion about where he’s at, what he’s trying to do. Just come in here and get ready to play and find your niche in what we’re trying to do.”

Johnson has not played in a game since Oct. 5 at Carolina. He was deactivated by the Chiefs for games against Tennessee, the New York Jets and Tampa Bay for violating team rules.

Johnson met with commissioner Roger Goodell in late October and was suspended for the San Diego game for violating the NFL personal-conduct policy in conjunction with simple assault charges Johnson is still facing.

During Johnson’s absence, two different running backs, Kolby Smith and Jamaal Charles, started for the Chiefs, but Smith suffered a season-ending knee injury against Tampa Bay; and Charles has been bothered by ankle injuries that limited his play at San Diego. Charles will be questionable for Sunday.

The only other running backs on the roster are undrafted rookie Dantrell Savage, who rushed 12 times for 44 yards against San Diego; and Jackie Battle, who was activated from the practice squad two weeks ago.

Meanwhile, the Chiefs’ offense has taken on a different look since Johnson last played and rushed seven times for 2 yards.

Quarterback Tyler Thigpen has started the last three games during Johnson’s absence, and the Chiefs have gone to a spread offense as opposed to the tailback-based attack that featured Johnson.

“Our offense has changed a little bit,” Edwards said, “but he’s going to be involved in it. He’s excited about being back. We’re still going to try to run the ball, with him being one of the better backs in the league."

Johnson rushed for 417 yards in the first five games of the season, including 198 yards against Denver, the highest single-game total in the AFC this season.

Johnson wasn’t available to reporters Monday, but guard Brian Waters said he was looking forward to seeing No. 27 on the practice field Wednesday.

“I know we’re going to see him at practice,” Waters said. “I expect to see him working. I expect to see him working as hard as everybody else, I expect to see him, hopefully, come back with a renewed energy and with a chip on his shoulder, like the old Larry, like the one we’ve seen before.

“We’re not asking him to make up for any (lost time). We’re asking him to come in and work hard and add to what we’ve started. When he comes on the field, whether it be practice or in a game, whatever they allow him to come play, we expect him to be the talented football player we’ve seen before.”

Waters believes Johnson will fit in the revamped Chiefs’ scheme.

“A lot of this has changed with our quarterback situation,” Waters said, “and with the fact we were in a rut against teams like Tennessee and Carolina. We had to figure out a way to move the ball. So far, so good. We think we still have to take some steps in some areas … red zone, third down … but we feel like we’re doing a better job moving the ball.”

“We’re going to always do what we can with our personnel. If he’s going to play, we’re going to try and do our best to make sure he’s in a situation where he can be successful. But, on the flip side, he’s got to work hard to get in the groove to what we’re doing.

“The evolution of our offense has taken place the last four weeks, and he’s got to come in and adjust to it.”

chiefs1111
11-11-2008, 01:31 AM
I really wish he would just be suspended the rest of the season,im sick of him and im sick of hearing about him already..

Brock
11-11-2008, 08:19 AM
This should be interesting.

Crashride
11-11-2008, 08:28 AM
dont even want him to play.

beach tribe
11-11-2008, 08:30 AM
I think Larry deserves one more chance. Up until this point, his actions have gone basically unpunished. I think we should wait, and see how he responds.

InChiefsHell
11-11-2008, 08:31 AM
This should be interesting.

Indeed. The fact that we NEED him back now just because we are depleted at RB is interesting. I mean, its almost like he'll be playing for a job...heheheh...if I'm the Saints...I'm pissing my pants right now.

BigChiefFan
11-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Hey, Carl's hand-picked guy sure is great for the organization.

chiefforlife
11-11-2008, 09:12 AM
I think he could be huge again. This offense and a good RB will be scary. Come on Larry!

ceebz
11-11-2008, 09:45 AM
Just waive the sonofabitch and get it over with.

J Diddy
11-11-2008, 09:48 AM
I think Larry deserves one more chance. Up until this point, his actions have gone basically unpunished. I think we should wait, and see how he responds.

Fuck that. Trade him to Minnesota.

StcChief
11-11-2008, 09:50 AM
LJ gets another shot (we are paying him a ton of money), maybe the new offense will really help his style.
stay away from HOs and trouble and focus on football.....

stay or go offseason his stock can only go up.

tmax63
11-11-2008, 09:54 AM
I pray he has been working on his pass blocking during these last 4 weeks. That and I pray the Chiefs don't go back to r2p2 since the "power" running back is back on the field.

Braincase
11-11-2008, 10:33 AM
I hope he plays great the rest of the season.

So we can trade his ass.

Huffman83
11-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Worst case scenario is they play the spread like they have been doing w/o him. I bet we see one series w/ a single back set w/ 2 tight ends. He'll run into Waters ass twice and then they go to a spread and get a first down w/ a 12 yard pass to Gonzo.

Maybe the play action will open up because of Larry though. Who knows!?!?

RustShack
11-11-2008, 10:50 AM
I still love LJ, I bet the spread offense helps him more than it hurts him. Teams are actually worried about the pass now so LJ will be able to break off some runs. I think he might be the missing part are need as needed the last couple weeks to put up the W.

Frazod
11-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Too bad he can't play MLB.

kaplin42
11-11-2008, 12:14 PM
As long as Herm doesn't lean on him like before and abandon the spread, I think it's a good thing.

As mentioned above though, LJ better devolop some pass blocking skills in a hurry.

blueballs
11-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Time to stop running with people who kiss your ass
because what you or being seen with you can do for them
and vise versa

RustShack
11-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Too bad he can't play MLB.

He played DE in high school and his dads a DC :hmmm:

OnTheWarpath58
11-11-2008, 02:07 PM
I hope he plays great the rest of the season.

So we can trade his ass.

Exactly.

This is a showcasing of LJ, plain and simple.

JuicesFlowing
11-11-2008, 04:44 PM
As long as Herm doesn't lean on him like before and abandon the spread, I think it's a good thing.

As mentioned above though, LJ better devolop some pass blocking skills in a hurry.

If LJ watched the game last Sunday, he would have seen LT make some nice blocks, hopefully he took notes.

Johnny Vegas
11-11-2008, 04:50 PM
If LJ watched the game last Sunday, he would have seen LT make some nice blocks, hopefully he took notes.

I get it that he's not a good blocker, but I'd be more concerned about the O line blocking and Full Back blocking before the RB blocks.

JuicesFlowing
11-11-2008, 04:50 PM
I get it that he's not a good blocker, but I'd be more concerned about the O line blocking and Full Back blocking before the RB blocks.

True.

Mr. Arrowhead
11-11-2008, 04:55 PM
He did his time. Now hopefully he can learn and get on with it. I do think he will help this offense alot

Johnny Vegas
11-11-2008, 05:00 PM
He did his time. Now hopefully he can learn and get on with it. I do think he will help this offense alot

I'm sure Herm is licking his chops right now on what they can do. LJ would be a great decoy for most play action plays. If he can work on catching the ball more consistently the spread offense would be deadly for most teams. Then that could help make the practices more competitive and players on both sides of the ball will start to grow into their roles.

the Talking Can
11-11-2008, 05:03 PM
he's as pussy quitter who likes to rough up women....

not going to pretend i'm glad he's a chief

Johnny Vegas
11-11-2008, 05:12 PM
he's as pussy quitter who likes to rough up women....

not going to pretend i'm glad he's a chief

Hey you can have all the room you want to hate on him. As long as fans of LJ can have space, too.

I got a card if you want..lol
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o205/badmajama/playerhatersball.jpg

Chieftain58
11-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Give him a chance and if he doesn't friggin block the linebacker comming up the middle then get rid of him. He's got the talent to run the ball but not the desire to become a complete football player. Larry got paid and has 19 million reasons to be lazy.

JASONSAUTO
11-11-2008, 07:36 PM
I pray he has been working on his pass blocking during these last 4 weeks. That and I pray the Chiefs don't go back to r2p2 since the "power" running back is back on the field.

THIS

JASONSAUTO
11-11-2008, 07:39 PM
I still love LJ, I bet the spread offense helps him more than it hurts him. Teams are actually worried about the pass now so LJ will be able to break off some runs. I think he might be the missing part are need as needed the last couple weeks to put up the W.

how i feel also, especially if we stick to what we've been doing lately

chiefs1111
11-11-2008, 08:15 PM

Larry Johnson will never learn how to pass block