PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Considering we get so many draft threads...

Mecca
11-11-2008, 02:00 PM
With people thinking we're improving and likely to hurt our draft position if we end up picking at like 7 who are we taking then?

This isn't exactly a scenario I'm a big fan of but what's everyones thought on this guy...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bbKBeI1uVtU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bbKBeI1uVtU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

rambleonthruthefog
11-11-2008, 02:01 PM
no

Brock
11-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Sure.

Mecca
11-11-2008, 02:03 PM
no

How about you elaborate.

OnTheWarpath58
11-11-2008, 02:06 PM
So Top 10 is too high to pick a MLB, but not a fucking safety?

Mecca
11-11-2008, 02:08 PM
So Top 10 is too high to pick a MLB, but not a fucking safety?

When he's a rare freaky athlete there are exceptions...you are aware that Mays is 6'3 235lbs and runs a sub 4.4 right?

Not to mention he's been starting since his true freshman year at SC and understands scheme discipline in a cover 2 type of system.

I think Mays will be a better pro than Maualuga and will be looked back as one of if not the best player from this draft.

OnTheWarpath58
11-11-2008, 02:09 PM
When he's a rare freaky athlete there are exceptions...you are aware that Mays is 6'3 235lbs and runs a sub 4.4 right?

Not to mention he's been starting since his true freshman year at SC and understands scheme discipline in a cover 2 type of system.

I'm a HUGE fan of Mays.

I'm just trying to understand your logic.

Are you starting to back off your prediction of Maualuga being a phenomenal MLB?

Der Flöprer
11-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Having had the privilege of watching Mays play since High School, I'd say the Chiefs would be lucky to have him at any position in the draft. This guy has been a freak since birth. He will be a HOFer IMO.

Mecca
11-11-2008, 02:14 PM
I'm a HUGE fan of Mays.

I'm just trying to understand your logic.

Are you starting to back off your prediction of Maualuga being a phenomenal MLB?

I make exceptions when guys are rare, I think Maualuga is a good player and will be a good NFL player, but I don't think he's rare. I think Mays is Sean Taylor with more discipline and a better head on his shoulders, and everyone would have taken Taylor in the top 10.

Mays to me is rare, he's something very very rarely seen. I think Maualuga will be a good player but I don't think he is a revolutionary player like I believe Mays can be.

Frosty
Mecca, where do you think Cushing will be drafted? When I have watched USC, it seems like it's Mays and Cushing that really stand out.

Deberg_1990
If you think hes the next Polumolu, then yes.

unlurking
11-11-2008, 02:15 PM

I think Mays will be a better pro than Maualuga and will be looked back as one of if not the best player from this draft.

Any more footage of his play? There were only like 3 highlights in that reel (first 2 were good hits but no wrap-up). Wasn't sure about his intelligence level from that interview, but I'm guessing he was just nervous being in front of the camera. He does seem down to earth though.

Anyways, back to the original comment, more video?

Mecca
11-11-2008, 02:17 PM

I think he's better than Polamalu...

Mecca
11-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Mecca, where do you think Cushing will be drafted? When I have watched USC, it seems like it's Mays and Cushing that really stand out.

I think Cushing is a late 1st early 2nd round pick. Cushings a gamer, he's gotten injured every year and will almost always play through the injury. But he's a strong side backer so some will bemoan his stats and he's played with Rivers and Maualuga.

Cushing is really a talented guy and he's tough as hell, he's one of the team leaders.

Frosty
11-11-2008, 02:19 PM
I think Cushing is a late 1st early 2nd round pick. Cushings a gamer, he's gotten injured every year and will almost always play through the injury. But he's a strong side backer so some will bemoan his stats and he's played with Rivers and Maualuga.

Cushing is really a talented guy and he's tough as hell, he's one of the team leaders.

Thanks. Sign me up if he is available in the 2nd.

Mecca
11-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Any more footage of his play? There were only like 3 highlights in that reel (first 2 were good hits but no wrap-up). Wasn't sure about his intelligence level from that interview, but I'm guessing he was just nervous being in front of the camera. He does seem down to earth though.

Anyways, back to the original comment, more video?

He doesn't have a ton of awesome highlight vids because of what he's asked to do, SC is a cover 2 hybrid team. Ellison gets to blitz more because Mays has so much more range they leave him as the 1 deep because he can handle it by himself.

Mays doesn't freelance he does what he's asked to do he plays his assignment and trusts his teammates to make the plays they're suppose to make. The entire SC defense is like that, it's why you never see huge stats from 1 single guy, last year people wondered why Keith Rivers lacked big stats.

Frosty
11-11-2008, 02:22 PM
One more question for you, at the risk of hijacking your thread.

What do you think of Rudy Carpenter from ASU? Is he a decent late round prospect?

Mecca
11-11-2008, 02:23 PM
One more question for you, at the risk of hijacking your thread.

What do you think of Rudy Carpenter from ASU? Is he a decent late round prospect?

Eh he's not very big and he's extremely injury prone.

Hog Farmer
11-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Having had the privilege of watching Mays play since High School, I'd say the Chiefs would be lucky to have him at any position in the draft. This guy has been a freak since birth. He will be a HOFer IMO.

But,But,But, He appeared to be a moron.

Red Beans
11-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Only if his arrival signals a departure for old Quick Draw McGraw. We need a MLB or a quality DE...safety shouldnt be high on our list of priorities.

MikeMaslowski
11-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Thanks. Sign me up if he is available in the 2nd.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Demonpenz
11-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Mays is going to be the first free saftey to hit a WR on a crossing route so hard his aorta dislodges and the WR dies on the field. Do you want that kind of blood on your hands?

KChiefs1
11-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Only if his arrival signals a departure for old Quick Draw McGraw. We need a MLB or a quality DE...safety shouldnt be high on our list of priorities.

definitely!!:clap:

Basileus777
11-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Seven is too high for Mays, not that we will win enough games to pick that low. I'm can't imagine this team winning more than one game with this banged up defense.

bigdreams1
11-11-2008, 04:02 PM
I would like this pick, but only if Babin turns out to be the solid pick up I think he is. I dont know what the hell is happening lately, but if we sign Miller too I am all over the herm fan bus. Babin, Bradley, and Miller with no draft picks? damn

bigdreams1
11-11-2008, 04:05 PM
I think perfect situation is if Babin succeeds and Miller is signed than we go after karlos dansby in F.A. and we draft Mays I would cream my pants. Thanks MECCA i just gave him a thorough look through and he looks solid.
Hali, Tank, Dorsey, Babin
Williams, Dansby, Johnson
Flowers, Carr, and Miller
MAYS, Pollard (morgan, page as well)
That looks like a killer defense too me...what is your opinion on that?

allen_kcCard
11-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Sounds good....get a DE or MLB with the 1st pick we get, trade Tony and LJ to get Tony a ring and LJ a new home address, and then use those picks to trade back up into the 1st round to get Mays closer to the end of the 1st.

ChiefsCountry
11-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Mays at SS and Morgan at FS would be very very tempting.

Saul Good
11-11-2008, 06:14 PM
Free Safety is a luxury pick. He'll be a great player, and a team with more pieces in place would probably be smart to trade up to get him, but top 7 is too high to draft a FS for a team in our position.

ChiefsCountry
11-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Free Safety is a luxury pick. He'll be a great player, and a team with more pieces in place would probably be smart to trade up to get him, but top 7 is too high to draft a FS for a team in our position.

Mays will play strong safety in the NFL.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-11-2008, 06:36 PM

I do'nt think he'll have Polamalu's instincts, but there isn't even a discussion when it comes to the raw ability of the two.

Mecca
11-11-2008, 06:39 PM

Mays is a guy who is versatile enough to be used in so many ways, FS or SS easy no brainers he could do either one of those.

But this is a guy that could at times lineup as LB or even a CB...hell Mays has the talent to by himself take away a TE or even a slot WR.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Mays is a guy who is versatile enough to be used in so many ways, FS or SS easy no brainers he could do either one of those.

But this is a guy that could at times lineup as LB or even a CB...hell Mays has the talent to by himself take away a TE or even a slot WR.

Which means you need a D coordinator smart enough to use him correctly.

Die, Gun, Die.

Saul Good
11-11-2008, 06:51 PM

The point remains the same. Top 5-7 picks for a team with as many needs as the Chiefs would be wasted on a Safety. QB, OT, DT, and DE are about the only positions that warrant top 5 consideration for any team picking that high. I doubt you will ever find a team picking in the top 7 due to their record who doesn't need at least 2-3 players from these positions. Otherwise, they would have had a better record.By pick 7 maybe you sneak in a RB, CB, or WR.

A team in rebuilding mode can't take a chance that a Safety turns out to be a once-in-a-generation type player. If a team feels like they are a Polamalu away from being a Superbowl caliber team, I wouldn't criticize them for trading up to 7 to draft him, but a rebuilding team just can't afford a luxury like that.

If the Chiefs have a top 7 pick and there isn't a QB, OT, DT, or DE available worthy of that high of a pick, we've got to trade down. Even if you had some way to guarantee that he would be a Hall of Fame caliber Safety, the Chiefs still shouldn't take him with a top 5 pick.

Dicky McElephant
11-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Honestly.....if everything pans out with the people we picked up this year...and we fill some more holes in the offseason.....then sure trade down to around 7-10 and pick this guy. If he's going to play SS in the NFL then we put him there with Pollard as his backup and hopefully Morgan plays his way into the starting FS position with Page as his backup.

Someone mentioned Dansby above to get in FA. That would help us immensly before the draft.

noa
11-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Hell, we need help at every position I don't see how you can rule anyone out at this point (aside from kickers, fullbacks, etc.).

JASONSAUTO
11-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Hell, we need help at every position I don't see how you can rule anyone out at this point (aside from kickers, fullbacks, etc.).

so you're saying tebow is out?

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-11-2008, 07:36 PM

With our first pick (which will be top 3), if we take a linebacker, right tackle, guard, center, running back, wide receiver, or cornerback, I will fucking snap.

Saul Good
11-11-2008, 07:38 PM
With our first pick (which will be top 3), if we take a linebacker, right tackle, guard, center, running back, wide receiver, or cornerback, I will ****ing snap.

Why would a RT be a bad thing? Do you have a death wish for our QB?

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Why would a RT be a bad thing? Do you have a death wish for our QB?

Why in the blue fuck would you ever spend a top 3 pick on a right tackle?

You can find right tackles aplenty in the 2nd and 3rd round.

That is such a horrible perversion of value.

eazyb81
11-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Mays is incredibly overrated. I have no doubt he will tear up the combine, just like Willy Mo, but neither one has elite instincts. I would have no problem taking a safety, but it has to be a great one, like Sean Taylor or Laron Landry, to be worthy of a top ten pick, and there's not a guy like that in this year's draft.

JASONSAUTO
11-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Mays is incredibly overrated. I have no doubt he will tear up the combine, just like Willy Mo, but neither one has elite instincts. I would have no problem taking a safety, but it has to be a great one, like Sean Taylor or Laron Landry, to be worthy of a top ten pick, and there's not a guy like that in this year's draft.

watch out mecca's gonna get you:doh!::rolleyes:

Mecca
11-11-2008, 07:50 PM
I'd love to know why Mays is overrated......also Mays has about 5 times the talent William Moore does.

eazyb81
11-11-2008, 07:53 PM
I'd love to know why Mays is overrated......also Mays has about 5 times the talent William Moore does.

Oh God, take off your red and gold glasses. If you really think Mays has five times the talent of Moore than I have lost a ton of respect for your views on the draft.

Mays is overrated because he doesn't have elite instincts, like I said earlier. A guy with his athletic ability should dominate, and he just doesn't. He's a very good college player, but he's not a gamechanger, and if he's not a gamechanger in the Pac 10, I don't think he'll be one in the pros.

eazyb81
11-11-2008, 07:54 PM
By the way, NFLDC updated their mock today and Scott now has Sam Bradford going to the Chiefs at #3. Big 12 fans rejoice.

Mecca
11-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Do you realize the scheme SC plays relies much more on him to play his assignment than it does for him to basically freelance to make big plays?

I remember last year people said this about Keith Rivers, no single player at SC dominates because they all have an assignment to play and are scheme disciplined....

ChiefsCountry
11-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Oh God, take off your red and gold glasses. If you really think Mays has five times the talent of Moore than I have lost a ton of respect for your views on the draft.

Mays is overrated because he doesn't have elite instincts, like I said earlier. A guy with his athletic ability should dominate, and he just doesn't. He's a very good college player, but he's not a gamechanger, and if he's not a gamechanger in the Pac 10, I don't think he'll be one in the pros.

No USC player stands out as a pure gamechanger. Pretty much they stay to game plan.

Mecca
11-11-2008, 08:01 PM
No USC player stands out as a pure gamechanger. Pretty much they stay to game plan.

It's funny that he's saying he's not Taylor...really Taylor got bitched out numerous times in his first couple of years for freelancing and losing track of his assignments and giving up huge plays...because in college all he did was freelance to make big plays..

Now you have Mays who has all the talent with scheme discipline already.

eazyb81
11-11-2008, 08:04 PM
It's funny that he's saying he's not Taylor...really Taylor got bitched out numerous times in his first couple of years for freelancing and losing track of his assignments and giving up huge plays...because in college all he did was freelance to make big plays..

Now you have Mays who has all the talent with scheme discipline already.

We're talking prospects; as a safety prospect, Mays is not in Taylor's league. Taylor dominated on the field in college and was a beast at the combine. Mays is an athletic freak, no doubt, but he plays incredibly stiff and relies on athletic ability rather than instincts. That will catch up to him in the pros.

Mecca
11-11-2008, 08:07 PM
As someone who's seen him play a ton of times, I'm going to disagree with that....you do realize he's been starting since his true freshman year right?

Ultra Peanut
11-11-2008, 08:16 PM
By the way, NFLDC updated their mock today and Scott now has Sam Bradford going to the Chiefs at #3. Big 12 fans rejoice.What's that I taste? Oh, it's bile.

chiefs1111
11-11-2008, 08:20 PM
By the way, NFLDC updated their mock today and Scott now has Sam Bradford going to the Chiefs at #3. Big 12 fans rejoice.

I pray this doesn't actually happen....

beavis
11-11-2008, 10:27 PM
I pray this doesn't actually happen....

I predict a meltdown of epic proportions if it does. ROFL

noa
11-11-2008, 11:12 PM
With our first pick (which will be top 3), if we take a linebacker, right tackle, guard, center, running back, wide receiver, or cornerback, I will ****ing snap.

Well, we could trade down, at which point those positions become more reasonable, and we have needs at LB, RT, G, C, S, QB, HC, DC, GM...

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-11-2008, 11:24 PM

Who was the last truly dominant USC defender? Can you think of one?

Did Rivers stand out?
Did Ellis have dominant stats?
Did Polamalu?
Did Tatupu?

As a Mizzou fan, I will tell you that William Moore is one of the most overrated players in the entire country. He's constantly been a step late and a step slow all year, and he can't tackle worth a rat fuck.

Both Hood and Witherspoon should go before him, he's just lucky it's a shit year for safeties.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Well, we could trade down, at which point those positions become more reasonable, and we have needs at LB, RT, G, C, S, QB, HC, DC, GM...

You should never trade out of a top five pick unless someone gives you a king's ransom.

Who was the last team to trade totally out of the top five (and really the top 20, given the positions you are valuing)?

Say we are picking third and Stafford and Orakpo go 1/2.

To trade down to 20,where a LB would be valuable, and a RT would have *some* value, and a safety may have some (but no G, C, or QB in this draft would) a team would have to give us 2200 points worth of value.

Now, Assuming that they pick 20th in every round, they would need to give us:

Their
1st 850
2nd 380
3rd 170

That gets you to 1400 points. On top of that, they would have to give us two more first round draft picks (assuming that they are mid-late first rounders) in order for us to get equivalent value on a points basis.

What team would ever pull that trade with us?

boogblaster
11-11-2008, 11:37 PM
Carl's going for a kicker ...

mylittlepony
11-12-2008, 12:33 AM
Both Hood and Witherspoon should go before him, he's just lucky it's a shit year for safeties.

I wouldnt say its a shit year by any means. Look at last year, that was a shit year.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-12-2008, 12:40 AM
I wouldnt say its a shit year by any means. Look at last year, that was a shit year.

Phillips, Smith, and Morgan could all be very, very good safeties.

Not to mention DeCoud.

Mecca
11-12-2008, 12:52 AM
Phillips, Smith, and Morgan could all be very, very good safeties.

Not to mention DeCoud.

Not that long ago people were raving about this being the best safety class in years.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-12-2008, 12:54 AM
Not that long ago people were raving about this being the best safety class in years.

I'm really down on Moore and Chung, and given that they are two of the top three prospects, it probably colors my expectations accordingly.

Mecca
11-12-2008, 12:56 AM
I'm really down on Moore and Chung, and given that they are two of the top three prospects, it probably colors my expectations accordingly.

I like Courtney Greene but Rutgers really sucking has made people forget about him.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-12-2008, 01:01 AM
I like Courtney Greene but Rutgers really sucking has made people forget about him.

God, they suck.

Basileus777
11-12-2008, 01:18 AM
God, they suck.

We suck, but we've improved the last few weeks. We will still make a bowl game if we win out.

But Green's had nothing to do with our problems on defense. I miss Eric Foster, he seems to be doing pretty well for the Colts.

beach tribe
11-12-2008, 06:38 AM
I would want him to play SS, and Morgan to play FS. I have no problem with the pick, if we can't get a pass rusher in that slot.