PDA

View Full Version : News Flanagan (and others) out at The Star?

ZootedGranny
11-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Noticed his blog was down, and then found this link from Royals Review blog:

http://bottomlinecom.com/currentnews/bloodbathatkcstar.html

HEARNE CHRISTOPHER, FLANNY, LEE JUDGE GET AXE AT STAR

The Kansas City Star is currently undergoing its fourth round of layoffs (terminations) this year and the cutbacks implemented today involve some of the most veteran and recognizable folks at the area's largest newspaper.

One reporter referred to it as a "journalistic bloodbath" in Kansas City with about 16 out of the 50 let go from the editorial side of the paper. For an excellent commentary on the sad situation check out the State of the Line site.

Reportedly officials at McClatchy Company, parent of the Star, have said many of the cutbacks can be attributed to the failure of the ill-fated RiseUp publication founded under former Publisher Art Brisbane and current Publisher Mark Zieman (see related story of RiseUp complaints from freelance writers).

Heading the list of editorial employees given pink slips included Hearne Christopher, Jr., who has written one of the most read columns at the newspaper for several years.

Jeffrey Flanagan, who wrote a "Top of the Mornin'" column in the Sports Department since 1996 (and most recently a blog), spent 19 years at the paper, including as a beat reporter for the University of Missouri, Kansas City Royals and as National Baseball reporter.

Laura Scott, Assistant Editorial Page Editor, who spent more than 30 years with the paper, including as an editorial columnist.

Lee Judge, who was nationally recognized as the Star's acerbic political cartoonist, was also given his walking papers. Judge was hired by the Star in 1981.

Others reported to us include:
Angela Curry ("At Your Service" columnist)
Greg Clark (Indep. Bureau Chief)
Les Weatherford
John Shultz
Tony Balandran
Monroe Dodd (former Managing Editor)
Jeanne Meyer
Mike Casey (Bus. Desk)
Kevin Hoffman (Indep.)
Stan Austin
Allen Holder (travel editor)
Kit Wagar (statehouse reporter)

Dayze
11-11-2008, 01:12 PM
how doees Teicher still have a job?

Ultra Peanut
11-11-2008, 01:23 PM
how doees Teicher still have a job?Have you seen his articles? His blowjobs must be amazing.

ZootedGranny
11-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Have you seen his articles? His blowjobs must be amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcaVSTsYyOI

booyaf2
11-11-2008, 01:32 PM
that sucks. i always liked his monday after the game recap of the radio/tv guys.

StcChief
11-11-2008, 01:34 PM
print media in slow death spiral for years

BigRedChief
11-11-2008, 01:46 PM
No chit. What does Teicher do? We get more "real" info from this board.

Deberg_1990
11-11-2008, 03:23 PM

I imagine after the 35 and over generation passes, then newspapers will go the way of the Dinosaur.

Does anyone under 30 ever read a newspaper?? I mean printed version and not the online version.

DaFace
11-11-2008, 03:26 PM
I imagine after the 35 and over generation passes, then newspapers will go the way of the Dinosaur.

Does anyone under 30 ever read a newspaper?? I mean printed version and not the online version.

Yep. But I wouldn't if I didn't have a 20-minute ride on the bus every morning with nothing else to do.

Sure-Oz
11-11-2008, 03:31 PM
I do all my newspaper reading online

ChiefsCountry
11-11-2008, 03:59 PM

Yeah actually alot do but its mainly just to kill time in class.

Thig Lyfe
11-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Whoa. Those are pretty big names, too.

beavis
11-11-2008, 04:12 PM
This was long overdue for Flanagan, they would have been better served leaving the space his column occupied blank.

I never read him, but I was under the impression Christopher was really popular.

eazyb81
11-11-2008, 04:14 PM

I agree with you to a point, but somehow smart people will figure out how to monetize "news" in this new generation.

Some very astute investors, such as Sam Zell and Carlos Slim, have recently entered the newspaper industry, and I think it will be interesting to see if they have anything up their sleeve.

eazyb81
11-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Also, while I hate to see anyone get fired, Flanny is awful and it's a miracle he held onto his job this long.

xfactor
11-11-2008, 04:26 PM
I totally agree with you guys about Flanagan, he interviewed me after I set the world record and his article was the worst I've ever had written about me and I've been interviewed by many small local newspapers and nothing compares to how bad Flanny's was. The whole article was wrong and misquoted all through it, not to mention it took about 1 hr to interview for a three paragraph article.

Micjones
11-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Damn Angela Curry? Very nice lady and did a great service for the Star.

She was an underappreciated member of their staff.
She once helped me get an apology letter from George Brett's Restaurant.

BigOlChiefsfan
11-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Hearne had a popular column, he knows where all the bodies are buried. I look for him to resurface locally in some other media. The guy has a face for radio.

McClatchy (current owner of the Star) sucks. They bought up the old Knight-Ridder news 'empire' a few years ago and cherrypicked a few papers to keep (including the Star and the Wichita Eagle), selling the rest to generate enough cash to pay for the purchase. Good plan, in other hands it may have worked. These bums dropped the ball over and over.

I look for McClatchy to start putting newspapers on the block at fire-sale prices.

wazu
11-11-2008, 06:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcaVSTsYyOI

For anybody who skipped over this thinking it was a rickroll, it's not, and it happens to be hilarious.

eazyb81
11-11-2008, 06:41 PM
I totally agree with you guys about Flanagan, he interviewed me after I set the world record and his article was the worst I've ever had written about me and I've been interviewed by many small local newspapers and nothing compares to how bad Flanny's was. The whole article was wrong and misquoted all through it, not to mention it took about 1 hr to interview for a three paragraph article.

What world record did you set?

KC Jones
11-11-2008, 07:23 PM

Didn't you watch that youtube video?

:evil:

Phobia
11-11-2008, 07:26 PM

Oh crap, my funny stuff is mean.

dirk digler
11-11-2008, 07:42 PM

Yep. Newspapers are losing alot of money and now they are starting to let go of people.

Dylan
11-11-2008, 08:28 PM

i asked myself the same question. ... http://images.bimmerforums.com/smilies/ponder.gif

Reaper16
11-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Christopher AND Judge? This is horseshit.

alanm
11-11-2008, 09:29 PM
I do all my newspaper reading onlineI imagine soon very soon they'll start charging for that as well.
Advertising can't bear the brunt of the costs alone. :shake:

Thig Lyfe
11-11-2008, 09:36 PM
I imagine soon very soon they'll start charging for that as well.
Advertising can't bear the brunt of the costs alone. :shake:

We've already discussed how advertising not only can, but has. Google has proven as much. It's about successful targeting.

Programmer
11-11-2008, 10:05 PM
How many of you that read the paper(s) online actually read most every article, or at least the headlines for the articles?

With no papers in print, looks like the future, there will be a shortage of news when the internet that Al Gore invented goes down the tubes.

The death of the news in print will change the country/world. There will be many people that will no longer have access to current events, and it won't be just those that are in the boomer generation, it will be most of those people that Obama is going to "reduce" taxes for. You know, those that can't afford to buy a computer and don't have jobs.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-11-2008, 10:18 PM
No chit. What does Teicher do? We get more "real" info from this board.

He obviously doesn't get paid very well. It's pretty obvious that this was a matter of dollars and sense. (sic)

xfactor
11-12-2008, 09:19 AM

Watching 70 straight hrs of football.

blueballs
11-12-2008, 11:02 AM
so this is why Whitlock has been readable
they could cut him and keep the other people

cookster50
11-12-2008, 12:15 PM

Yes, but only because a coworker brings it in, I wouldn't pay for it.

Fat Elvis
11-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Watching 70 straight hrs of football.

Pfft. Gunther does that on a weekly basis. Might explain why he is too braindead to make halftime adjustments.....

ottawa_chiefs_fan
11-12-2008, 01:35 PM

Agreed. Seeing the same up here - it is starting to accelerate....