PDA

View Full Version : Misc Check out this archive of World War II stories.

Rain Man
11-11-2008, 06:22 PM
That right there is one big archive, y'know what I mean? Pretty cool, from the one or two random examples I pulled. It's a BBC site, so I suspect it's mostly British stories, but quite interesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/categories/

notorious
11-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Sweet Rain Man. Everyone needs to hear some of these stories so they can really appreciate what the "Greatest Generation" went through for us.

I am glad they have archived these stories. There are not very many WWII vets left.

StcChief
11-11-2008, 07:31 PM
yeah. we saved the Brits and they appreciate it now, not so much with France et al.

beavis
11-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Wow, I'm going to lose many hours of productivity to that site. Nice find.

chief52
11-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks for posting this. My dad was a WWII vet. I never had the chance to hear many stories as he died when I was fairly young. I will spend some time going over this.

Pulled out his pictures and discharge papers today...glad mom had saved them. It was quite moving.

notorious
11-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Thanks for posting this. My dad was a WWII vet. I never had the chance to hear many stories as he died when I was fairly young. I will spend some time going over this.

Pulled out his pictures and discharge papers today...glad mom had saved them. It was quite moving.

My family recently got the chance to go through my grandfathers cherished items. A note of interest was the intellegence and aerial photos of Iwo Jima. They had every gun, ship, and bunker photoed and mapped to the within a few feet, and it was all laid out on the invasion map that I held in my hands. AMAZING.

The story my grandfather told my aunts and uncles is that he got the map from a high ranking officer after they had gotten the island under control. The officer just handed it to him while shaking his head at all the death he had witnessed during the invasion.

Donger
11-11-2008, 09:00 PM
yeah. we saved the Brits and they appreciate it now, not so much with France et al.

:spock:

alanm
11-11-2008, 09:40 PM
Some of us had 20 missions in without a scratch and advanced to Co-Pilot of a charmed B-17 and then poof.. The war(game) went away. :cuss:
The archives are cool Kevin. Thanks :thumb: