PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Quick Car/Electrical Question

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-11-2008, 09:21 PM
I'm installing a new headlight socket in an '02 Mazda Tribute. The three wires connected to the old socket were green/white green/black and red black.

The new socket's three wires are green, red and black.

I'm assuming that the red goes to the red/black and green to the green/white and black to the green black, but I'm not sure and can't find anything on the 'net for confirmation.

Any thoughts?

Donger
11-11-2008, 09:28 PM
There's no connector? Just wires?

Dartgod
11-11-2008, 09:31 PM
I'm installing a new headlight socket in an '02 Mazda Tribute. The three wires connected to the old socket were green/white green/black and red black.

I'm assuming that the red goes to the red/black and green to the green/white and black to the green black, but I'm not sure and can't find anything on the 'net for confirmation.

Any thoughts?
I'd say you would be safe doing it that way.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-11-2008, 09:34 PM
There's no connector? Just wires?

"Socket"

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-11-2008, 09:36 PM
One of the old wires was corroded inside the spade terminal, which caused the headlight to periodically go out. So I cut off the old socket, and am replacing it with a new one. The new one has bare wires on the end which I will solder to the old wires.

Donger
11-11-2008, 09:38 PM
"Socket"

How are they terminated? Spade terminals? How do the existing wires attach to the new assembly?

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-11-2008, 09:41 PM
How are they terminated? Spade terminals? How do the existing wires attach to the new assembly?

The old wires terminated with spades. The new socket terminates the same way. However, since I had to remove the old socket due to corrosion and loose wiring, I will take the bare wires from the old headlight wiring harness and connect them to the bare wires coming out of the new headlight socket.

Donger
11-11-2008, 09:43 PM
The old wires terminated with spades. The new socket terminates the same way. However, since I had to remove the old socket due to corrosion and loose wiring, I will take the bare wires from the old headlight wiring harness and connect them to the bare wires coming out of the new headlight socket.

How are you going to connect them?

Surely you took notice of the old wiring, yes? Which wire went to which terminal? If so, just crimp on a new spade terminal to each of the old wires and re-connect.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-11-2008, 10:35 PM
How are you going to connect them?

Surely you took notice of the old wiring, yes? Which wire went to which terminal? If so, just crimp on a new spade terminal to each of the old wires and re-connect.

Dude, the old socket is corroded, and rusted in one of the terminals, and it has a plastic housing around the terminal.

I have an entirely new socket

I just cut old socket off, and solder new wires to old wires and plug new socket in where old one went.

New socket:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31TQB1Y68XL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

+

Bare wires from old headlight wiring harness

=

Completed connection.

FWIW, I just followed my original idea (thanks Dartgod), and it worked fine.

Phobia
11-11-2008, 10:37 PM

Any thoughts?

NOOOO!!! Don't do it that way, you IDIOT!

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-11-2008, 10:45 PM
NOOOO!!! Don't do it that way, you IDIOT!

Too late....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/16heorrfsgY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/16heorrfsgY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

cdcox
11-11-2008, 10:47 PM
If you get the connections backward, the headlight will run backward and shoot out beams of darkness during the day. Be careful out there.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-11-2008, 10:53 PM
If you get the connections backward, the headlight will run backward and shoot out beams of darkness during the day. Be careful out there.

Cool. I'll take it to Arrowhead and see if I can rip space time apart with it.