PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz: Remembering D.T.ís Record Day

Tribal Warfare
11-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Remembering D.T.ís Record Day (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/remembering-dt%E2%80%99s-record-day.html)
November 11, 2008 - Bob Gretz |

Could it possibly be 18 years ago?

It just doesnít seem like it could be that many Chiefs seasons since Derrick Thomas chiseled his name into the NFL record books.

On November 11, 1990 at Arrowhead Stadium, Thomas set a new league record with seven sacks of Seattle quarterback Dave Krieg.

The performance broke the previous record of six sacks set by San Franciscoís Fred Dean 25 years ago (November 13, 1983) against New Orleans.

Itís a record that has not been broken since. Last year, New York Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora had six sacks against Philadelphia. Thomas himself had six sacks in 1998 against Oakland, also at Arrowhead.

There have been a lot of passes thrown since that Veteranís Day almost two decades ago. There have been a lot of pass rushers that have come through the pro football pipeline. The fact that none has been able to duplicate Thomasí record is testimony to how remarkable an afternoon that day was for the second-year outside linebacker out of Alabama.

The Chiefs were 5-3 at that point in the Ď90 season. The week before the Chiefs had beaten the Los Angeles Raiders 9-7 at Arrowhead.

It was a clear Indian summer afternoon, with temperatures at kickoff hitting 63 degrees. A crowd o f 71,285 fans were in the house for this battle between AFC West rivals. Just three weeks earlier the Chiefs were beaten by the Seahawks in Seattle, so they were seeking redemption.

Thomasí record setting day began midway through the first quarter. Hereís how the sacks came:

- No. 1: Midway through the first quarter, on a third and 20 from the Seattle 28-yard line, Krieg was sacked for a five-yard loss.

- No. 2: Late in the first quarter, on a third and 10 play from the Seattle 15-yard line, Thomas took down Krieg for a 14-yard loss.

- No. 3: Late in the third quarter, on a third and 17 situation from the Seattle eight-yard line, Thomas sacked Krieg, knocking the ball loose. It was recovered in the end zone by DT Dan Saleaumua for a Chiefs touchdown.

- No. 4: Early in the fourth quarter, on a second and 10 play from the Kansas City 38-yard line, Thomas took Krieg down for a loss of 10 yards.

- No. 5: With 3:49 to play in the fourth quarter, on a first and 10 from the Seattle 35-yard line, Krieg was taken down by Thomas for a seven-yard loss.

- No. 6: Three plays later, on a first and 10 from the Chiefs 43-yard line, Thomas got Krieg again for minus-10 yards.

- No. 7: The record setter came on the next play, a second and 20 situation with Thomas dragging Krieg to the ground for the seventh time. On this play it was a six-yard loss.

In what should have been one of the most memorable moments of his life, D.T.ís afternoon was spoiled about 90 seconds after that record sack. Taking over at the Seattle 34-yard line with 48 seconds to play, Krieg completed passes of 16 and 25 yards. That set up the Seahawks with a first and 10 at the Chiefs 25-yard line. After an incompletion on first down, Krieg dropped back to pass again with the clock ticking off the gameís final seconds. Thomas came flying in from Kriegís left side and grabbed at his waist as he threw the ball towards the end zone. Thatís where WR Paul Skanski jumped up and pulled down the ball as the clock showed 0:00. Skanskiís touchdown and Norm Johnsonís PAT kick gave Seattle a 17-16 victory.

The outcome of that game tore at Thomasí heart. Eight years later, when he had six sacks in a victory against the Raiders, Thomas still felt the pain. ďAt least we won this time,Ē D.T. said then. ďI still canít believe we didnít win that game (in Ď90).Ē

boogblaster
11-11-2008, 10:29 PM
I remember later that night on a sports brodcast Lawrence Taylor addmitted that the young man from KC was the new top pass-rusher in the NFL ....

Munson
11-11-2008, 10:46 PM
Its a damn shame that DT isn't in the Hall of Fame yet. :cuss:

chiefs1111
11-12-2008, 01:36 AM
I was 8 years old and it was the first Chiefs game I ever seen,been a fan ever since.

chiefs1111
11-12-2008, 01:37 AM
Its a damn shame that DT isn't in the Hall of Fame yet. :cuss:

I agree,but I think he will get in at some point. Not sure about this year though....

PhillyChiefFan
11-12-2008, 05:30 AM
I was 8 years old and it was the first Chiefs game I ever seen,been a fan ever since.

Sounds familiar...I was 8 too, I remember my dad telling me he was going to be the best LB in the game for a long time coming.

I remember where I was when I heard the news too.

Kerberos
11-12-2008, 06:01 AM
I started buying Season Tickets in 1989 and stopped buying them in 2009.

When they drafted DT was when I KNEW the Chiefs where turning the table and would be worth going to games.

By 2009 I had long since grown to loath going to games.

DT was one of the most fun and game changing players to watch live.

Yes I was there to see him MAKE HISTORY that day in 1990 and to be part of that day live is something everyone should enjoy somewhere along the line.

My.02

Demonpenz
11-12-2008, 06:09 AM
and who can forget his playoff preformances

kc rush
11-12-2008, 06:18 AM
Sadly DT had more sacks in one game than the entire defense has this year after 9 games.

Deberg_1990
11-12-2008, 06:30 AM
Classic Game. I believe C-Mac has this game on his page?

This game is probably why Dave Krieg became a Chief two years later.

alpha_omega
11-12-2008, 08:04 AM
Ahhh, the memories...i remember listening to that game on the radio.

18 years later and i still can't believe we lost.

Skip Towne
11-12-2008, 08:08 AM
When we drafted him 4th overall, we had our choice of him or another LB named Thomas. Broderick Thomas of Nebraska. Many wanted the Big 8 version but it looks like we got the right one. Broderick went to Tampa Bay with the 6th pick.

Deberg_1990
11-12-2008, 08:10 AM
When we drafted him 4th overall, we had our choice of him or another LB named Thomas. Broderick Thomas of Nebraska. Many wanted the Big 8 version but it looks like we got the right one. Broderick went to Tampa Bay with the 6th pick.

That 89 draft is legendary:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_NFL_Draft

Aikman
Mandarich ROFL
DT
Deon sanders
Barry Sanders
Atwater
Rison

Etc....

shaneo69
11-12-2008, 10:06 AM
I started buying Season Tickets in 1989 and stopped buying them in 2009.

When they drafted DT was when I KNEW the Chiefs where turning the table and would be worth going to games.

By 2009 I had long since grown to loath going to games.

DT was one of the most fun and game changing players to watch live.

Yes I was there to see him MAKE HISTORY that day in 1990 and to be part of that day live is something everyone should enjoy somewhere along the line.

My.02

Same here. Got season tickets in '89. Was at that game, and still remember being shocked when Skansi came down with that ball between three Chiefs DB's. And gave my season tickets up after the '05 season. Our defense has sucked ever since DT died.

Buck
11-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Not to turn the mood to somber, but how sad were you when he died?

One time one of my Favorite Padres, Mike Darr, died the day before spring training was to begin, he wasn't the best player on the team like DT, but he was still one of my favorites. It really sucked when he died, and he had only been on the team for like 2 years.

I can only imagine what it was like to have your Franchise player die, how horrible.

Molitoth
11-12-2008, 10:21 AM
I was at this game... (I was 9 years old) I remember that last play of the game as I was watching through Binoculars in the end zone to see that catch made. What a heart breaker. DT ruled.

shaneo69
11-12-2008, 10:31 AM

One time one of my Favorite Padres, Mike Darr, died the day before spring training was to begin, he wasn't the best player on the team like DT, but he was still one of my favorites. It really sucked when he died, and he had only been on the team for like 2 years.

I can only imagine what it was like to have your Franchise player die, how horrible.

It was like getting kicked in the groin. Twice.

First when we found out he was seriously injured in the car accident and possibly paralyzed, we pretty much knew his football career was over.

But at least the injuries weren't supposed to be life-threatening. Then we find out he died unexpectedly of a freakin' blood clot.

rtmike
11-12-2008, 10:51 AM

I'm not ashamed to admit it, but I cried when I found out DT passed. Sure, he wasn't the LB of old on the field but he helped bring the franchise out of the cellar. I don't know if his off the field contributions were all a TV act but it made an influence on a western Kansas kid growing up.

DT was the original prime time. Whenever he was on a national stage or it was Veteran's Day he brought his game up a notch. I still think if Montana had a WR like Bowe back then, DT would have had a ring and be in the HOF already.

Back then you always heard the announcers saying "coverage sack" with KC. The guys up front always had a little more time to get to the QB.

El Pendejo
11-12-2008, 04:45 PM
When was DT first eligible for the Hall? It just goes to show what a joke the hall of fame is. Lynn Swann is in but a guy like Randy Gradishar isn't.

It's silly. All reasonable people hate the chiefs, but it's pretty clear that Thomas had a first ballot type of career. He was a dominant player.

Didn't he have almost as many kids with different women as Travis Henry? Before you people jump all over me...it's just something I seem to remember. Personally I couldn't care less about that, but is that a factor in his not being inducted into the hall of fame already? The guy was an all time great.

Deberg_1990
11-12-2008, 05:02 PM
When was DT first eligible for the Hall? It just goes to show what a joke the hall of fame is. Lynn Swann is in but a guy like Randy Gradishar isn't.

It's silly. All reasonable people hate the chiefs, but it's pretty clear that Thomas had a first ballot type of career. He was a dominant player.

Didn't he have almost as many kids with different women as Travis Henry? Before you people jump all over me...it's just something I seem to remember. Personally I couldn't care less about that, but is that a factor in his not being inducted into the hall of fame already? The guy was an all time great.

This has been talked through to death, but the fact is, the Hall voters value Super Bowl Titles above all else.