PDA

View Full Version : Misc Anyone here chew tobacco?

Goapics1
11-12-2008, 06:49 AM
I do, I chew this stuff. Anyone have tips on quitting?

http://product.timberwolftooltakeaway.com/images/tw_finecutwntgrn.gif

Saulbadguy
11-12-2008, 06:54 AM
I chew Tomacco.

Fried Meat Ball!
11-12-2008, 06:55 AM

Realize it's freakin' disgusting?

Look in a mirror while you're doing it because you look like a dumb shit?

Realize it's freakin' disgusting?

I got nuthin' else, man. :)

Pablo
11-12-2008, 06:55 AM
Stop putting it in your mouth.

That's how you quit.

Fried Meat Ball!
11-12-2008, 06:56 AM
I chew Tomacco.

You say "tomacco", I say "tomAHcco".

TommyHawk69
My brother chewed Kodiak for years and he quit by chewing sun flower seeds and will power.

Fried Meat Ball!
My brother chewed Kodiak for years and he quit by chewing sun flower seeds and will power.

How does one chew will power?

luv
11-12-2008, 07:01 AM

I know someone else who started eating sunflower seeds instead. Much cheaper habit as well.

Baconeater
11-12-2008, 07:22 AM
Paging Phobia...

blaise
11-12-2008, 07:28 AM
I chewed the leaf type in college. Red Man usually. It helped me stay awake to study at night. I would chew on a long drive to. I didn't have much trouble quitting, but I don't think the leaf type is as powerful as dip. I could never stand dip.

Phobia
11-12-2008, 07:29 AM
I've quit at least a dozen times. I've quit for months and even years at a time. Quitting is easy. Starting again is the hard part.

Nearly each time I've fallen off the wagon it's because I've craved tobacco from an acquaintance and bummed from them. After bumming 3 or 4, I almost always buy a can. So, if I run into somebody who uses, I tell them not to give me one no matter how much I beg. One time I started again because I simply caved to the desire while standing at the counter of a convenience store. Avoid those places if you can. Pay at the pump.

A couple ways to encourage yourself to quit:
1. Keep your receipts and add up how much you're spending the same night you pay your bills.
2. Scrutinize your teeth and gums. Look at what it's doing to them.
3. Review pictures of people who have mouth cancer or gum disease if you need the shock treatment. I've not done this but I'd imagine it's effective.

Finally, you have to quit for yourself. You can't quit for anybody else because it won't work. Quit for you. It's a gift. Give it.

Goapics1
11-12-2008, 07:38 AM
I've quit at least a dozen times. I've quit for months and even years at a time. Quitting is easy. Starting again is the hard part.

Nearly each time I've fallen off the wagon it's because I've craved tobacco from an acquaintance and bummed from them. After bumming 3 or 4, I almost always buy a can. So, if I run into somebody who uses, I tell them not to give me one no matter how much I beg. One time I started again because I simply caved to the desire while standing at the counter of a convenience store. Avoid those places if you can. Pay at the pump.

A couple ways to encourage yourself to quit:
1. Keep your receipts and add up how much you're spending the same night you pay your bills.
2. Scrutinize your teeth and gums. Look at what it's doing to them.
3. Review pictures of people who have mouth cancer or gum disease if you need the shock treatment. I've not done this but I'd imagine it's effective.

Finally, you have to quit for yourself. You can't quit for anybody else because it won't work. Quit for you. It's a gift. Give it.

Thanks for the info. So what is your status now?

Phobia
11-12-2008, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the info. So what is your status now?

Haven't had any since mid-Sept.

NewChief
11-12-2008, 07:41 AM
My dad quit after years and years using first nicotine gum then just regular gum.

I quit for about 4 years, then started back up again. Because I don't dip at work, I only have a couple of dips a day, except on the weekends, when I go all out. Nasty habit for sure. My main problem is how much dipping is linked to certain activities for me: home renovation projects, backpacking, fishing, reading a book, etc. When I do these activities, it just seems better with a dip. My relapses inevitably occur when I'm doing something like taking a weekend fishing trip (I'll just buy a can for the weekend) or starting a weekend project around the house (this can is just for while I'm working).

Sully
11-12-2008, 07:44 AM
Worse.
I smoke.
I dearly want to quit, but can't even take the first step.

ROFL
I should probably just swallow a few burning cigarettes. That's why i don't chew...because of a few of those instances in high school.

ziggysocki
11-12-2008, 07:45 AM
Not a dipper but an ex smoker. I quit by constantly asking myself this question: "Am I so weak that I can not control an urge to put something that WILL kill me into my body?" Each time a craving comes you rationalize... "ahh it's only 1" or "Who cares anyway, you gotta die for something". Then you do it and you feel guilty, ashamed, weak... whatever. You have to remind yourself that that is the addiction talking not you. I decided that when it was unbearable I would do pushups until I could not do anymore. I figured I would be fighting the pain of a craving by creating a worse pain. Also set goals. Don't start with forever. Start with I am not going to smoke/chew this morning. Then, I'm not going to smoke/chew today... then this week... then this month... IMO the first week is the hardest, most physical cravings are gone by 10 days or so. Last thing, stay away from things that make you want it... drinking... whatever that may be. Good luck, and it can be done.

Goapics1
11-12-2008, 07:46 AM
My dad quit after years and years using first nicotine gum then just regular gum.

I quit for about 4 years, then started back up again. Because I don't dip at work, I only have a couple of dips a day, except on the weekends, when I go all out. Nasty habit for sure. My main problem is how much dipping is linked to certain activities for me: home renovation projects, backpacking, fishing, reading a book, etc. When I do these activities, it just seems better with a dip. My relapses inevitably occur when I'm doing something like taking a weekend fishing trip (I'll just buy a can for the weekend) or starting a weekend project around the house (this can is just for while I'm working).

I hear ya. Certain activities make me want to dip too. Bad habit. Bad habit.

ziggysocki
11-12-2008, 07:48 AM
Also remember, after the cravings are gone... even though you don't crave it anymore, don't fall into the, I'll just have one.... trap. It is a trap. Quitting means NONE... that is the key to not starting... you wanted to quit, so quit. NONE

LOCOChief
11-12-2008, 07:50 AM
I dipped Copenhagen for over 25 years, at least 1 can per day. Rarely spit, usually swallowed. I knew it was disgusting but I was addicted. What makes this even more retarded is the fact that I'm a cancer survivor (Hodgkin’s) so as you can imagine the guilt was overwhelming. 2 years ago I went to the doctor, got a shot, had panic attacks for about 12 hours then quit cold turkey and never looked back. I'm a part time fishing charter Capt. in Florida and I'd say 90% of my customers dip, I’ve never even come close to caving in.

Maybe it was the shot, maybe the guilt but I have to think that the way I did it was by telling myself that I would no fail and I haven't.

ziggysocki
11-12-2008, 07:51 AM
I dipped Copenhagen for over 25 years, at least 1 can per day. Rarely spit, usually swallowed. I knew it was disgusting but I was addicted. What makes this even more retarded is the fact that I'm a cancer survivor (Hodgkin’s) so as you can imagine the guilt was overwhelming. 2 years ago I went to the doctor, got a shot, had panic attacks for about 12 hours then quit cold turkey and never looked back. I'm a part time fishing charter Capt. in Florida and I'd say 90% of my customers dip, I’ve never even come close to caving in.

Maybe it was the shot, maybe the guilt but I have to think that the way I did it was by telling myself that I would no fail and I haven't.

Excellent work. It is never too late to quit.

LOCOChief
11-12-2008, 07:57 AM
Excellent work. It is never too late to quit.

thank you very much and I think you hit the nail on the head, it's never too late.

munkey
11-12-2008, 08:27 AM
i used this... http://www.mintsnuff.com/

haven't had a chew in 2 years now and don't crave it either.

~chewed for over 20 years~

rambleonthruthefog
11-12-2008, 08:29 AM

mentally prep yourself before you quit. tell you brain and body over and over again that Xday is the last day. buy yourself some pot, and cross your fingers. quit dippin' bout 5 mnths ago. quit cold turkey with a little help from some sticky green.

Reerun_KC
11-12-2008, 09:16 AM
thank you very much and I think you hit the nail on the head, it's never too late.

Guilt, that is very hard to live with... That will follow you and trouble you for the rest of your life, but it is sure fire way to keep you from repeating something that you had problems with in the past....

TommyHawk69
11-12-2008, 09:23 AM
How does one chew will power?

It is a delicacy in some countries you should see if you can find some will power.

Scorp
11-12-2008, 09:48 AM
I have been chewing skoal wintergreen fine cut for more that 25 years. I have stopped chewing 3 times using this product. Once for a year and twice for 6 months. The product I am linking will work. It is the easiest way to stop chewing. Use this product for 2-3 weeks and you will not need to chew anymore. They say you can mix it with chew but don't. Use this product by itself and in 2-3 weeks you will be done. Excellent product. I recommend this to anyone wanting to quit chewing.

Lastly my recommendation is you order 24 cans of the XTRA Wintergreen since that will taste the closest to what you chew.

http://www.dipstop.com/index.html

rockymtnchief
11-12-2008, 11:00 AM
I've quit more than once and then started up again. My biggest problem was going to the bar, inhaling smoke, and then craving nicotine again. So I'd stop at the store and buy a can of Copenhagen long cut.
Now I'm trying to quit again, but I'm doing it a little different. I'm SLOWLY quitting by taking less and less each pinch. I used to go through a can every three days. Now I'm down to a can every 11-12 days.
Hopefully, by January I'm done for good.

Deberg_1990
11-12-2008, 11:15 AM

This should be enough to make anyone quit:

crazycoffey
11-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Fred Stoker's makes a good leaf chew. Peach and Apple are my favorites. Usually get that or Levi for when I go to the field for training. It's seems like part of the uniform now.

B_Ambuehl
11-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Don't try to go cold turkey. Go to Wal-Mart and get you a can of Smokey Mountain. It tastes just like regular snuff and will allow you to satisfy the urge of having a dip in. For the first few days allow yourself half as many dips per day as you usually take, along with as much smokey mountain as you want. After a couple of days of that cut that in half and continue cutting back until you're only taking 1 dip a day. By that point cutting it out completely will be super easy.

MOhillbilly
11-12-2008, 01:40 PM
quit a 3 can a day habit way back.

Mr. Laz
11-12-2008, 02:20 PM
used to

for me i found that mixing habits confused my body and made it easier to quit

smoke
dip
smoke
dip

also drinking beer = dip so avoid going out to the bar drinking for awhile as well.

don't buy it and you can't dip it!!

Mecca
11-12-2008, 02:31 PM
What a disgusting habit, a friend of mine does it and it completely grosses me out.

Pitt Gorilla
11-12-2008, 02:33 PM
Easy. Don't buy the stuff. It's infinitely more difficult to chew when you don't own any.

BigMeatballDave
11-12-2008, 03:09 PM
Anyone have tips on quitting?

Sure. Stop buying it. Stop putting it in your mouth. You're welcome...:D

Baby Lee
11-12-2008, 03:44 PM
Grizzly's the shiznit. Cheap [$1.90 a can] and higher in nicotine that most others.

And to the detriment of my health, I've found a truly useful side-effect [aside from the nicotine infusion]. All my life I've had a problem with sinus congestion and nasal drip, and something about dip is that it's [for me] the most effective way of binding that shit up so I can get rid of it. Closest 2nd is cola, but then you're swallowing that shit instead of spitting it out. A good dip in the morning and I can breathe clear all day.

NewChief
11-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Grizzly's the shiznit. Cheap [$1.90 a can] and higher in nicotine that most others.

And to the detriment of my health, I've found a truly useful side-effect [aside from the nicotine infusion]. All my life I've had a problem with sinus congestion and nasal drip, and something about dip is that it's [for me] the most effective way of binding that shit up so I can get rid of it. Closest 2nd is cola, but then you're swallowing that shit instead of spitting it out. A good dip in the morning and I can breathe clear all day.

I never knew you dipped. Grizzly gives me sores in my mouth, though.

Phobia
11-12-2008, 04:54 PM
I never knew you dipped. Grizzly gives me sores in my mouth, though.

It also tears up your gums. 15 years of Copenhagen and I never had a problem with receding gums. After 24 months of Grizzly, I decided it was worth paying double for the better product.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-12-2008, 04:58 PM
My dad has chewed Skoal cherry long cut for years.

When I was in college I tried some Apple Jacks chew and then took a shower so I could spit liberally. God, it was awful.

One of my best friends chews constantly, and his dad is a dentist, so he was constantly hiding chew bottles and using whitening products on his teeth.

LMAO

Von Dumbass
11-12-2008, 05:12 PM
I chew Grizzly wintergreen
http://www.cwdlp.com/images/Moist/GrizzlyLC-Wintergreen.jpg
http://buysmokelesstobaccocompany.com/smokeless_tobacco_brands/skoal_long_cut_berry_smokeless_tobacco.jpg
Only gays chew this ^

milkman
11-12-2008, 05:20 PM
It is a delicacy in some countries you should see if you can find some will power.

Oh.

I thought it was the name of your brother's boyfriend.

Baby Lee
11-12-2008, 05:45 PM
I chew Grizzly wintergreen
http://www.cwdlp.com/images/Moist/GrizzlyLC-Wintergreen.jpg

That's what I buy. Lady where I get mine says it's the biggest seller of all brands and flavors in the midwest.