PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Can Tyler Thigpen succeed when not in the spread?

suds79
11-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Thatís what I want to see over the remainder of this season. To his credit, I think thus far heís done a pretty good job.

But thatís what I want to see from him to be sure he could be our QBOTF.

Do I like that weíve gone to the spread? Yes. I think itís great for scoring a lot of points. Furthermore, I think the Spread is to quarterbacks what Denverís system & O-line is to RBsÖ Almost anybody can succeed in it. (assuming you can pass).

I think in the 2nd half against San Diego we got away from the spread (until late) and our offense sputtered. Whoís to blame for that? Iím not sure.

But thatís what Iím looking for from Tyler the rest of the season. How does he operate out of more traditional sets?

What do u guys think?

raybec 4
11-12-2008, 10:34 AM
What difference would it make if he can succeed in another system if the team can continue to succeed in this one. My question is can the spread be successful over the rest of the season.

KCUnited
11-12-2008, 10:37 AM
I think the spread is helping our Oline and backs just as much as it is Thigpen. Can we get the matchups we need on O without the spread is a better question.

DaneMcCloud
11-12-2008, 10:41 AM
Could Joe Montana have been successful outside of the West Coast offense?

You build an offense around the tools of the QB, which is exactly what's happening in Kansas City.

MIAdragon
11-12-2008, 10:44 AM

You build an offense around the tools of the QB, which is exactly what's happening in Kansas City.

QFT!

Ecto-I
11-12-2008, 10:52 AM
I think part of Tyler's lesser success in the "non-spread" formations is due to the suckiness of our running game. Without a running game, conventional formations become harder to pass out of when the defense KNOWS you're going pass. The D concerns themselves less with the backfield runners because, hey, they're not a real threat.

If you HAVE to pass and everyone knows it, might as well do it in the formation that gives you the best matchups and best view of the field. It's very likely Tyler COULD succeed in other formations given a running game.

blueballs
11-12-2008, 10:55 AM
he uses mayo
with a hinta of horseradish

Mr. Plow
11-12-2008, 10:56 AM

As long as they continue to build to his strengths, I'm all for it. A spread offense is a Priest Holmes wet dream.

If they try to go back to Herm's offense, we may be in trouble.

smittysbar
11-12-2008, 10:56 AM
He goes under center too. They are doing both. So far he has handled it good.

DaneMcCloud
11-12-2008, 11:26 AM
As long as they continue to build to his strengths, I'm all for it. A spread offense is a Priest Holmes wet dream.

If they try to go back to Herm's offense, we may be in trouble.

Herm said in his presser yesterday that this is the offense and that LJ will need to learn how to fit in because we aren't going back.

LJ's a goner in 2009, anyway.

Reerun_KC
11-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Herm said in his presser yesterday that this is the offense and that LJ will need to learn how to fit in because we aren't going back.

LJ's a goner in 2009, anyway.

After 2.5 years of lying spew out of Herms mouth, I am not ready to crown him as the savior of the modern forward pass just yet....

Herm will have to prove, that with a lead, he will continue to attack and score points... He will have to prove he can allow Gailey to make adjustments at the half.

Until then, its just more of the same from Herm, double talk and flustration.

JASONSAUTO
11-12-2008, 11:32 AM
funny how alot of people were saying that SD's 3-4 would give thiggy fits. IMO he handled it REAL well for his experience

blueballs
11-12-2008, 11:34 AM
He stayed in pocket and took hits
after watching Brodie do the same knowing something was going to break
how could he not -and face his teammates

Mr. Laz
11-12-2008, 11:45 AM
wouldn't the more appropriate question be "Are we capable of running a spread offense to fit Thigpen?"

DaneMcCloud
11-12-2008, 11:52 AM
wouldn't the more appropriate question be "Are we capable of running a spread offense to fit Thigpen?"

I think that question's already been answered.

Mr. Laz
11-12-2008, 11:56 AM
I think that question's already been answered.

how can it have been when we've only been running it for 3-ish weeks.

long term is much different and is yet to be seen either way

people just seem hung up on this spread offense think like it's a dirty word.

Stop worrying about the name of the offense and just look for improvement and the ability to adapt so it can remain successful.

Fish
11-12-2008, 12:11 PM
how can it have been when we've only been running it for 3-ish weeks.

long term is much different and is yet to be seen either way

people just seem hung up on this spread offense think like it's a dirty word.

Stop worrying about the name of the offense and just look for improvement and the ability to adapt so it can remain successful.

I think that was his point with this quote....

ottawa_chiefs_fan
11-12-2008, 12:28 PM
A more interesting question might be "Can Britney Spears succeed when not in the spread?"?

Mr. Laz
11-12-2008, 12:31 PM
A more interesting question might be "Can Britney Spears succeed when not in the spread?"?
again ..... why would want them to try

Thigpen + spread = good

Spears + spread = good

what's the problem :fire:

RustShack
11-12-2008, 12:33 PM
I just want to throw this our there, we don't run the "spread" every play.

smellypirateraider
11-12-2008, 12:38 PM
I think he'll be successful without the spread. Think he needs to just develop as a qb in the NFL. he ran the same system in Coastal Carolina so they implemented the system to accomodate him. I think as he gets better at reading defenses, he can adapt to another offensive scheme. At some point temas will figure out how to defend against the spread offense but by then Thigpen should be better

Frosty
11-12-2008, 12:39 PM

Yeah. Thigpen was under center a good part of the Bucs game.

smittysbar
11-12-2008, 12:39 PM

That what I said, but some seem to be ignoring that fact.

FringeNC
11-12-2008, 01:23 PM

For once, I agree with you -- except I'm hopeful rather than convinced that we will stick with this offense. And the fact that Herm suggested that we would go forward with this offense doesn't convince me. Herm is the same guy that continually spouted "circus offense" , "Arena league" crap.

StcChief
11-12-2008, 01:43 PM
For once, I agree with you -- except I'm hopeful rather than convinced that we will stick with this offense. And the fact that Herm suggested that we would go forward with this offense doesn't convince me. Herm is the same guy that continually spouted "circus offense" , "Arena league" crap.

lf Chan have continued success with Offense.... spread/variations there of.
Clark is happy with improvements and results....

That BS talk will dwindle from Herm. W's count and stuff that doesn't work well doesn't count....

Arena/circus/ points are NFL Today.... and get the D playing well (with less time on field that should start happening)

early to tell but this Thiggy guy looks like a keeper.

Simply Red
11-12-2008, 04:17 PM
quick-question; How old it Tyler, anyway?

Micjones
11-12-2008, 04:19 PM

Why do people in Chiefs Kingdom want Thigpen to be proficient in multiple offensive philosophies?

You play to the strengths of your QB.

If this is what best suits Thigpen this is what you run.
And you find ways to mix things up offensively and provide yourself with offensive contingencies to keep defenses honest.

milkman
11-12-2008, 04:28 PM

Tribal Warfare
11-12-2008, 04:37 PM

24 years old I believe

Simply Red
11-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Thanks.

prhom
11-12-2008, 06:44 PM
I think his success out of the spread is more a function of what plays are called when we aren't in the spread. Before this became "who we are" everyone knew we were going to feebly attempt to run the ball and played D accordingly. Once Thiggy establishes that he can effectively throw the ball (which I think he has now) going back to a "non-spread" offense should have better success because teams will have to respect him and we can be more balanced.

philfree
11-12-2008, 06:46 PM
I don't think the plan going into 2009 will be to just run the spread offense. The "spread" may be the direction we are going now but as time goes on Herm is gonna want to use the power running game. I can see Thigpen doing o.k. in a more conventional offense as we improve our O line. Our line is improving now but it will alot more when we bring in a few more/better players.

PhilFree:arrow:

crossbow
11-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Why do people in Chiefs Kingdom want Thigpen to be proficient in multiple offensive philosophies?

You play to the strengths of your QB.

If this is what best suits Thigpen this is what you run.
And you find ways to mix things up offensively and provide yourself with offensive contingencies to keep defenses honest.

I agree. This is what we want! The young QB grows into the NFL with his young receivers, backfield, and linemen. He plays in a system that builds his and his team-mates confidence. Then they expand on it and the offense gets stronger and more varied as everyone matures together. Hopefuly they all peak at around the same time and its light outs and playoffs in the reasonable future.

It is realy exciting to watch all this young talent develope.

JASONSAUTO
11-12-2008, 06:53 PM
I agree. This is what we want! The young QB grows into the NFL with his young receivers, backfield, and linemen. He plays in a system that builds his and his team-mates confidence. Then they expand on it and the offense gets stronger and more varied as everyone matures together. Hopefuly they all peak at around the same time and its light outs and playoffs in the reasonable future.

It is realy exciting to watch all this young talent develope.

YES YES. right on. one thing about the "spread" is that it shows exactly when herms goes into conservative mode. its glaringly obvious. and herm has a HUGE ego. MAYBE JUST MAYBE it will shame him into being a little more the risk taker.

prhom
11-12-2008, 07:00 PM
YES YES. right on. one thing about the "spread" is that it shows exactly when herms goes into conservative mode. its glaringly obvious. and herm has a HUGE ego. MAYBE JUST MAYBE it will shame him into being a little more the risk taker.

If only Chan can figure out some plays to take advantage of a defense that adjusts to our "conservative mode" I think we could really burn people.

JASONSAUTO
11-12-2008, 07:03 PM
If only Chan can figure out some plays to take advantage of a defense that adjusts to our "conservative mode" I think we could really burn people.

FUCK YEAH WE COULD PLAY OFF THAT SHIT