PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft I know, another DRAFT Thread.

El Jefe
11-12-2008, 11:29 AM
It seems to me that everyone believes if Stafford comes out the Lions will get him. Ok, it also seems people would want Rey Rey over JL. My question is, would you rather have Orakpo, or would you rather have Rey. Or is there another choice you would rather have. I am asking who you would take, position of our pick is irrelevant at this point, because we can only speculate where we will pick anyway. Would you take Rey or Orakpo, or choice C (whoever you want).

Brock
11-12-2008, 11:33 AM
No linebackers in the top 5.

raybec 4
11-12-2008, 11:36 AM
BPA

TommyHawk69
11-12-2008, 11:37 AM
BPA Orakpo or Johnson

RustShack
11-12-2008, 11:39 AM
What if our new DE we just brought over from the Seahawks emerges? Or even Gillberry from the Giants PS!?

Sure-Oz
11-12-2008, 11:41 AM
Asked this in another thread, but what if stafford is taken and bradford is there? orakpo still?

Some on here don't seem as high on bradford, i'd prefer stafford though

RustShack
11-12-2008, 11:44 AM
I'll take Thigpen over Bradford.

Dicky McElephant
11-12-2008, 11:57 AM
QB, DE, MLB

In that order.

Stafford, Orakpo, Maulauga (sp?)

El Jefe
11-12-2008, 11:58 AM
I'll take Thigpen over Bradford.

Seriously? If, and that's a big "IF" Thigpen can play the way he has been and start winning some games, I might think Thigpen will be the QBOTF. I have been impressed with Thigpen, but he has only played good in 3 games, let's not crown him the next Montana yet. Bradford is really good, I like him a lot.

dj56dt58
11-12-2008, 12:11 PM
you start building up front..once you have your 4 guys up front, you get backups for your front 4..it all starts up front

blueballs
11-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Who's making the pic
and in who's hands will he be trained
first things first -buzz killer

BigCatDaddy
11-12-2008, 12:25 PM
Give me one of the big tackles, Smith or Oher. Then you are set at the tackle spot for the next 10 years. Guards and centers are cheap in FA or can be found later in drafts and you can build a dominate O-Line.

Brock
11-12-2008, 12:29 PM
We are set at the tackle spot.

JASONSAUTO
11-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Seriously? If, and that's a big "IF" Thigpen can play the way he has been and start winning some games, I might think Thigpen will be the QBOTF. I have been impressed with Thigpen, but he has only played good in 3 games, let's not crown him the next Montana yet. Bradford is really good, I like him a lot.

those are NFL games though what have any of the college QBs done more than that?

suds79
11-12-2008, 12:38 PM
As much as i like Rey Maualuga, DE is a bigger impact position and they're on the field more. Sometimes MLB will sub out in passing sets.

So to answer the question, I guess I'd say maybe Orakpo. I need to see more of them though (until recently hadn't focused on college defensive players) Was all about the QB). Hope any 1st round DE we'd draft would have an electric 1st step.

BigCatDaddy
11-12-2008, 12:56 PM
We are set at the tackle spot.

Huh? You like Taylor/MacIntosh at the RT spot? I don't. Maybe at right guard.

El Jefe
11-12-2008, 01:00 PM
As much as i like Rey Maualuga, DE is a bigger impact position and they're on the field more. Sometimes MLB will sub out in passing sets.

So to answer the question, I guess I'd say maybe Orakpo. I need to see more of them though (until recently hadn't focused on college defensive players) Was all about the QB). Hope any 1st round DE we'd draft would have an electric 1st step.

I need to watch Orakpo more, I have watched a lot of the MLB's in this draft. I have watched Orakpo 4 times this year, he does have a very quick first step, reminds me of Gholston. I think on just a pass rushing basis, Vernon Gholston was quicker off the ball, that guy was a blaze. FTR I am not saying Gholston is better than Orakpo. They are both freaks of nature.

BigCatDaddy
11-12-2008, 01:05 PM
USC guys seem to be a little over-hyped anyway when it comes to the draft.

Ebolapox
11-12-2008, 01:05 PM
orakpo.

El Jefe
11-12-2008, 01:07 PM
People questioned wether VG was on the juice or not. I watched the sports center video again, and Orakpo, went from tiny to the Hulk while at College, that will have to raise some questions.

Brock
11-12-2008, 01:07 PM

So you're saying draft a right tackle? Brilliant!

the Talking Can
11-12-2008, 01:09 PM
QB, DE, MLB

In that order.

Stafford, Orakpo, Maulauga (sp?)

yeah, based on positional value this is right...

but i daydream about a real thumper behind tank/dorsey...we haven't seen that in for almost as long as franchise QB....anways, we're going to spend some money this year in FA, maybe we'll finally sign a lb who doesn't suck ass

RustShack
11-12-2008, 01:13 PM

Richardson could be a really good RT when hes ready to play... Its funny people give up on him but they wont give up on Franklin because of the school he played for. You must hate Thigpen too because he wasn't ready to start right off too huh?

BigCatDaddy
11-12-2008, 01:14 PM
So you're saying draft a right tackle? Brilliant!

I would move Albert to RT, while solid he is not Oher or Smith. Albert could even return to his college position of guard if need be, but I prefer him at RT.

beach tribe
11-12-2008, 01:15 PM
I would move Alberts to RT, while solid he is not Oher or Smith. Alberts could even return to his college position of guard if need be, but I prefer him at RT.

FAIL.

Brock
I would move Alberts to RT, while solid he is not Oher or Smith. Alberts could even return to his college position of guard if need be, but I prefer him at RT.

No.

DaneMcCloud
Richardson could be a really good RT when hes ready to play... Its funny people give up on him but they wont give up on Franklin because of the school he played for. You must hate Thigpen too because he wasn't ready to start right off too huh?

Counting on Richardson is tenuous at best.

He may have the prototypcial body of a right tackle but from all of the scouting reports, he doesn't have the aggressiveness or work ethic.

He's definitely a project.

Pablo
11-12-2008, 01:16 PM
I would move Alberts to RT, while solid he is not Oher or Smith. Alberts could even return to his college position of guard if need be, but I prefer him at RT.So, we would have drafted a G or RT at #17 overall?

Negative.

He's our LT for a long time to come.

beach tribe
11-12-2008, 01:17 PM

This.

BigCatDaddy
11-12-2008, 01:19 PM

I don't say give up on either, but why take that chance. Svitek, Black, Parquette, and Williams all could have panned out also.

BigCatDaddy
11-12-2008, 01:24 PM
So, we would have drafted a G or RT at #17 overall?

Negative.

He's our LT for a long time to come.

I wouldn't have a problem with a great RT at #17. We took John Tait as a LT at the 14th pick and slid him to RT when we brought big Willie in. Then we ended up with the best line in the NFL.

Brock
11-12-2008, 01:26 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with a great RT at #17. We took John Tait as a LT at the 14th pick and slid him to RT when we brought big Willie in. Then we ended up with the best line in the NFL.

You don't draft right tackles in the first round. Repeat, you don't draft right tackles in the first round.

Brock
11-12-2008, 01:26 PM
It's ridiculous to throw Albert away, he's played fantastically at LT. Quit trying to fix things that aren't broken.

BigCatDaddy
11-12-2008, 01:29 PM
You don't draft right tackles in the first round. Repeat, you don't draft right tackles in the first round.

Jeff Otah was at 19 I believe this past year.

RustShack
11-12-2008, 01:30 PM

So you were probably pissed when we got Roaf because we drafted Tait to be our LT?

BigCatDaddy
11-12-2008, 01:31 PM
It's ridiculous to throw Albert away, he's played fantastically at LT. Quit trying to fix things that aren't broken.

I wouldn't see fantastic, but he is solid. I'm just saying the top tackles this year are very good and worth a look if they are BPA.

milkman
11-12-2008, 01:31 PM

The plan was to let Tait mature and learn, then return to LT when Roaf retired.

That plan blew up because Carl is a dick, and I highly doubt that the Chiefs expected Roaf to play for as long as he did.

BigCatDaddy
11-12-2008, 01:33 PM
So you were probably pissed when we got Roaf because we drafted Tait to be our LT?

I think that example should be a thread winner for the BCD, yes?

tyton75
11-12-2008, 01:34 PM
IMO.. with the 1st pick this year if the QB of desire is already off the board, take the difference maker thats available.. even if its someone like Crabtree.... take the difference maker in the 1st.. then plug holes with the rest of the draft and in FA

just my 2 cents for this years draft

milkman
11-12-2008, 01:34 PM
I wouldn't see fantastic, but he is solid. I'm just saying the top Tackles this year are very good and worth a look if they are BPA.

Given the fact that he couldn't get any time to get acclimated to the switch before the season started, he has played fantastically, and he is continuing to improve with each game.

The kid has every bit as much potential as Oher and Smith, and he actually has a chance to be better than both, because he has the tools to excel in both pass protect and run blocking.

milkman
11-12-2008, 01:36 PM

I ws pissed that we drafted Tait in the first place.

I didn't see him as anything special.

RustShack
11-12-2008, 01:39 PM
I know Okrapo is the popular pick right now, but what IF Babin ends up being a very good RE for us? I personally think Hali can hold down LE fine(when his pussy isn't hurting).

BigCatDaddy
11-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Given the fact that he couldn't get any time to get acclimated ot the switch before the season started, he has played fantasyically, and he is continuing to improve with each game.

The kid has every bit as much potential as Oher and Smith, and he actually has a chance to be better than both, because he has the tools to excel in both pass protect and run blocking.

He could be. So what's wrong with featuring 2 1st round picks at the tackle spots? Everyone agrees games are won at the line of scrimage, or at the QB position, I think that's where the value lies in the draft. I would feel pretty good about Oher and Albert at the tackle spots for the next 12 years. It would might our QB look that much better as well.

RustShack
11-12-2008, 01:41 PM
People don't want to move Albert because he is doing a very good job for his situation. People don't want to draft a RT in the top 5 because thats just crazy and poor drafting.

BigCatDaddy
11-12-2008, 01:47 PM
People don't want to move Albert because he is doing a very good job for his situation. People don't want to draft a RT in the top 5 because thats just crazy and poor drafting.

I understand the RT in the top 5 thing and that's why I would move Albert over. I'm not saying this is what they should do, but it has to be looked at given the prospects available.

beach tribe
11-12-2008, 01:49 PM

Correct. Why fuck with Albert? He is our LT. Period.

milkman
11-12-2008, 01:49 PM
He could be. So what's wrong with featuring 2 1st round picks at the tackle spots? Everyone agrees games are won at the line of scrimage, or at the QB position, I think that's where the value lies in the draft. I would feel pretty good about Oher and Albert at the tackle spots for the next 12 years. It would might our QB look that much better as well.

I believe you draft BPA.
But when picking, there are alaways going to be 3 or 4 guys who rate about equally, so you also you have to consider positional value and team needs in the equation.

If we are sitting at the second overall pick, we should be taking the BPA at a position of need.

That player will probably be Brian Orakpo.

People talk about Tait and Roaf, but when you look at that, the only first round pick invested in that O-line was tait.

The Giants have what many consider to be the best line in the league right now, and they don't have a single first rounder.

You don't use first round picks in consecutive drafts on the same position.

It's just not smart.

RustShack
11-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Its hard to tell who the top prospects will be when the draft even rolls around, and what teams will pick before us, and who they will take.

BigCatDaddy
11-12-2008, 02:08 PM
I believe you draft BPA.
But when picking, there are alaways going to be 3 or 4 guys who rate about equally, so you also you have to consider positional value and team needs in the equation.

If we are sitting at the second overall pick, we should be taking the BPA at a position of need.

That player will probably be Brian Orakpo.

People talk about Tait and Roaf, but when you look at that, the only first round pick invested in that O-line was tait.

The Giants have what many consider to be the best line in the league right now, and they don't have a single first rounder.

You don't use first round picks in consecutive drafts on the same position.

It's just not smart.

I don't consider RT and LT the same position, but it can be done different ways then the Giants do it. When we had the best Oline, we had 2 1st round tackles, 1 3rd round guard, a free agent off the street, and Weigman(who I'm not sure about) I like Orakpo or another DE if available. I would just take a T over Crabtree or a LB.

beach tribe
11-12-2008, 02:13 PM
I don't consider RT and LT the same position, but it can be done different ways then the Giants do it. When we had the best Oline, we had 2 1st round tackles, 1 3rd round guard, a free agent off the street, and Weigman(who I'm not sure about) I like Orakpo or another DE if available. I would just take a T over Crabtree or a LB.

What you guys seem to be forgeting for some reason, is that every single 1st rnd RT in the league has either failed at LT, and been moved to RT, or is planned to take over at LT when ready, or another player is gone, but they were all drafted as LTs in the 1st rnd.

milkman
11-12-2008, 02:14 PM

But you are taking LT prospects in consecutive first rounds, which forces you to move one of them, and you will be paying for two LT prospects.

And while we had two first round tackles with that line, we only had one of our first round picks invested.

BigCatDaddy
11-12-2008, 02:29 PM
What you guys seem to be forgeting for some reason, is that every single 1st rnd RT in the league has either failed at LT, and been moved to RT, or is planned to take over at LT when ready, or another player is gone, but they were all drafted as LTs in the 1st rnd.

False. Carolina has Jeff Otah who was a 1st round pick last year playing RT, at LT is 28 year old Jordan Gross who was the #8 pick in his draft.

BigCatDaddy
11-12-2008, 02:33 PM
But you are taking LT prospects in consecutive first rounds, which forces you to move one of them, and you will be paying for two LT prospects.

And while we had two first round tackles with that line, we only had one of our first round picks invested.

You have a point with the money aspect although I would argue a solid RT on the free agent market would command a similar salary to Albert. I doubt there is much difference in what Mac and Albert make, but I'm not sure on the figures.

beach tribe
11-12-2008, 02:39 PM
False. Carolina has Jeff Otah who was a 1st round pick last year playing RT, at LT is 28 year old Jordan Gross who was the #8 pick in his draft.

Guess who probably won't be playing for the panthers next season.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=nfl&id=2366

Guess who will be playing LT for the Panthers next season.

Some teams do think proactively.

EDIT: link fixed

J Diddy
11-12-2008, 02:40 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_ma
in.aspx?sport=nfl&id=2366

Page not found.

beach tribe
11-12-2008, 02:42 PM
Page not found.

Fixed it.

El Jefe
11-12-2008, 02:44 PM

Very well put.

BigCatDaddy
11-12-2008, 02:49 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=nfl&id=2366

EDIT: link fixed

So what? He got franchised when they couldn't agree on a deal. Otah is not an NFL LT.

BigCatDaddy
11-12-2008, 02:54 PM
Very well put.

True, but Albert's cap number is only 1.7 million more then McIntosh this year.

El Jefe
11-12-2008, 02:56 PM

Interesting. It will continue to grow though, but interesting none the less.

DaneMcCloud
11-12-2008, 02:59 PM
I know Okrapo is the popular pick right now, but what IF Babin ends up being a very good RE for us? I personally think Hali can hold down LE fine(when his pussy isn't hurting).

NOT gonna happen.

Babin was cut by a 2-7 team. He's 28 years old. He's just a body because the Chiefs don't have but one DE on the roster, and he was signed last week.

Don't expect much from Babin.

Dicky McElephant
11-12-2008, 03:01 PM
NOT gonna happen.

Babin was cut by a 2-7 team. He's 28 years old. He's just a body because the Chiefs don't have but one DE on the roster, and he was signed last week.

Don't expect much from Babin.

All I'm expecting out of Babin is some decent numbers as a rotational guy.

And what the hell happened to my insiders information on the other DE we signed?!??! :D

Mecca
11-12-2008, 03:36 PM
USC guys seem to be a little over-hyped anyway when it comes to the draft.

Not defensive guys....those guys are what they are advertised as.

RustShack
11-12-2008, 03:42 PM
All I'm expecting out of Babin is some decent numbers as a rotational guy.

And what the hell happened to my insiders information on the other DE we signed?!??! :D

Who would that be? I noticed there was a LB added to the PS.

beach tribe
11-12-2008, 04:10 PM
So what? He got franchised when they couldn't agree on a deal. Otah is not an NFL LT.

So you think they are going to franchise him again, or are they going to pay him like a top 3 LT money?

Otah was the 4th rated LT in the draft. He is an NFL caliber LT, and will play it when Gross leaves.

milkman
11-12-2008, 04:31 PM

In three or four years, either Mac or Oher, whoever ends up playing a position on the line, will beable to get LT money on the free agent market, and we'll have to find a replacement, so you'd end up paying LT money two LT prospects only to lose one.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-12-2008, 05:28 PM
I've said it many times, and I'll repeat it here:

We have the dumbest fanbase in the entire NFL.

You don't draft RT's in the top 25, let alone the top 5 of the draft. You don't move players who are playing unbelievably well at a premier position, and who are rookies, out of that position, particularly when you are moving them to a less valuable position.

You don't draft guards in the top 20 unless they are a Steve Hutchinson or Allen Faneca type players, and even then, it's a tenuous pick at best.

We're going to have a top 5 pick.

The only positions that have the value needed for a top 5 pick are LT (fixed, don't need it), RDE, QB, and a 3 Technique defensive tackle. Sometimes you will have a Calvin Johnson type prospect at WR, and that will warrant a top five pick. Other than that, unless you are talking about God incarnate, you do not spend top five picks on other positions.