PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Mushroomy pasta

Fire Me Boy!
11-13-2008, 09:02 AM
So I saw something on Rachel Ray for some kind of creamy mushroom pasta stuff. Didn't catch the name and didn't pay close attention.

So I decided to just throw something together and hope it turned out good.

Here's what I came up with...

about a pound of mixed mushrooms - i used shitake, baby bella and oyster
olive oil - guessing about 1/4 to 1/3 c.
small bottle of wine (like the little 4-packs you can buy, 5-6 oz., I think)
1 to 1 1/2 tsp garlic - just a regular spoonful
pinch of crushed red pepper
2 tbsp butter
salt pepper to taste
pasta

Here's what I did - with a couple notes of what I'd change if I do it again.

Put the olive oil in a heavy pot (like a dutch oven) and slowly sweated and browned the mushrooms - about 10 minutes of med. med/high heat. Added the garlic and the red pepper and cooked until kinda fragrant. Add about half the bottle of wine and deglaze the pan. Cook for a couple minutes until it's absorbed. Add the rest of the wine. Season with salt/pepper. Added the butter at the end. Add to cooked pasta.

So what I'd change... I'd add some chopped onion. The mushrooms soak up a LOT of the wine, so there's really very little sauce. Most of what coats the pasta is the olive oil. I think right before I was ready, I'd about 1/4 to 1/2 c. of the starchy pasta water to make some sauce (or use chicken stock, but not for Alex). Might add some milk, too. Or, you could use more of the pasta water/broth, get it mixed in, and put in some butter and flour mixed together as a thickener.

Overall, pretty good if you like the shrooms. And if you use the DreamFields pasta, low glycemic.

Goapics1
11-13-2008, 09:16 AM
can u substitue those canned mushrooms? the ones that are mushrooms and stems and can get at Wal Mart for like 43 cents per can.

Ultra Peanut
11-13-2008, 09:17 AM
what's pasta, precious

ChiefJustice
11-13-2008, 09:33 AM
Shallots,Heavy Cream,Sherry.

Why skimp?

Ultra Peanut
11-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Shallots,Heavy Cream,Sherry.

Why skimp?EIGHTEEN

Demonpenz
11-13-2008, 09:36 AM
When we went to the beach we asked for eleveteen sandwhiches the lady there was full of glory and said I am truely sorry for your loss but we only have eleveteen... So we will give you a refuld to the fullest extent of the law

Ultra Peanut
11-13-2008, 09:39 AM
When we went to the beach we asked for eleveteen sandwhiches the lady there was full of glory and said I am truely sorry for your loss but we only have eleveteen... So we will give you a refuld to the fullest extent of the lawsjeeeeeeeeeeeeyt

that's swedish or finnish or danish or norwayjet for sheeeeeeeeeeit btw*

*btw stands for booker t washington

Fire Me Boy!
11-13-2008, 09:40 AM
can u substitue those canned mushrooms? the ones that are mushrooms and stems and can get at Wal Mart for like 43 cents per can.

No. Needs to be fresh.

Those canned mushrooms suck.

A lot of the flavor comes from the fond created while you're cooking the mushrooms. Without that, you won't be deglazing with the wine and you'll miss out on a TON of flavor.

ChiefJustice
11-13-2008, 09:40 AM
When we went to the beach we asked for eleveteen sandwhiches the lady there was full of glory and said I am truely sorry for your loss but we only have eleveteen... So we will give you a refuld to the fullest extent of the law

A post that could launch a 1000 threads.ROFL

blueballs
11-13-2008, 10:24 AM
trees all across america
gladly die each day
just to become your two ply

ottawa_chiefs_fan
11-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Did she squeeze her tits together?

tooge
11-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Sounds pretty good. I have done something similar but addeed heavy cream and spinach. With the cream, I usually use a white wine though. It is cool tossing stuff together like that though.

Fire Me Boy!
11-13-2008, 12:45 PM
Sounds pretty good. I have done something similar but addeed heavy cream and spinach. With the cream, I usually use a white wine though. It is cool tossing stuff together like that though.

I used a dry white in mine. I always keep a couple of four-packs of those little bottles of wine around exactly for this purpose.

tooge
11-13-2008, 01:31 PM
I used a dry white in mine. I always keep a couple of four-packs of those little bottles of wine around exactly for this purpose.

Yeah, sure it's for that. WHINO!

Fire Me Boy!
11-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Yeah, sure it's for that. WHINO!

It is. I use the big bottles for me. :D

BCD
11-13-2008, 02:31 PM
86 the mushrooms. Yuck.

Fire Me Boy!
11-13-2008, 02:33 PM
86 the mushrooms. Yuck.

ROFL

Yet you still came into a thread title "MUSHROOMY pasta"... amazing.

:p

chasedude
11-13-2008, 03:23 PM
I saw this one, she included leeks in the dish but it did look good!