PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Are you glad they didn't trade Tony Gonzalez?

Brock
11-13-2008, 11:47 AM
I am.

10/26 @ NYJ L 24-28 6 79 13.2 21 1
11/02 TB L 27-30 7 62 8.9 16 0
11/09 @ SD L 19-20 10 113 11.3 34T 2

Thigpen clearly agrees.

Sure-Oz
11-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Yeah, his value should go up with the tear he is on....wonder if he still wants out

SPATCH
11-13-2008, 11:53 AM
uhhh me tweezee

Dylan
11-13-2008, 11:55 AM
:(

dallaschiefsfan
11-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Hell yeah. Hated the idea of one of our few vets leaving...especially one of the few that still knows how to win in this league.

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2008, 11:56 AM
Yes.

Never trade a Hall of Famer.

Especially when TG is still performing at a Pro-Bowl level and shows no traces of declining.

Garcia Bronco
11-13-2008, 11:59 AM
No. No I am not glad

sedated
11-13-2008, 11:59 AM
I was never on the "trade Tony" bandwagon. If this team progresses fast enough, his final year could be our SB run, a la jerome bettis (even though that SB officiating was a disgrace)

dallaschiefsfan
11-13-2008, 12:00 PM
No. No I am not glad

Yet another reason to be glad.

Skip Towne
11-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Yes

MikeMaslowski
11-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Yes...honestly I believe he is the groundhog of this team...like if he leaves, and we don't see his shadow, 8 more years of not seeing a playoff win. If he stays...we have a good enough base to make the playoffs next year.

Radar Chief
11-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Yes, didnít like the idea of trading him to begin with.

Duck Dog
11-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Absolutely. I never liked the idea of letting such a high caliber player with high caliber character leave. He is everything you want in a football player.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-13-2008, 12:14 PM
I've never wanted to trade Tony. I want to find a way to compete for a Super Bowl for him before he retires. I want him to end his career in our jersey, and I hope something can be done so that he feels the same way.

RedThat
11-13-2008, 12:56 PM
There is a saying in pro sports,

"sometimes the best trades are the ones you never make."

Am I glad the Chiefs didn't trade Tony Gonzalez? Absolutely.

Basileus777
11-13-2008, 01:05 PM
He's worth a lot more to us than any third round pick.

Mr. Plow
11-13-2008, 01:08 PM
Never wanted him to leave, but I understood why he wanted to - and I didn't blame him. I'm glad he is still a Chief.....praying it stays that way until he retires.

POND_OF_RED
11-13-2008, 01:08 PM
I'll be happier if he gets a ring. The only reason I wanted him to be traded was to see him contend. It would have sucked watching it happen with another team but it will be even worse if he retires without that ring.

Hog Farmer
11-13-2008, 01:20 PM
we never even should have drafted Tony. He hasn't had not one productive year his whole career. All he does is take up a roster spot.

Lonewolf Ed
11-13-2008, 01:24 PM
There is a saying in pro sports,

"sometimes the best trades are the ones you never make."

Am I glad the Chiefs didn't trade Tony Gonzalez? Absolutely.

Ditto.

KCrockaholic
11-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Yes i am glad since thanks to Gonzo Thigpen is making strides with our team. Honestly i wanted to trade him because I wanted him to win a SB, but hey he is one of the few guarantees on this team. scratch that, hes the only guarantee.

Brock
11-13-2008, 01:30 PM
If Tony doesn't win a Super Bowl here, I don't give a shit if he never wins one.

philfree
11-13-2008, 01:31 PM
I hope he plays for the Chiefs for two more years. If Herm would allow us to win some games before the seasons up maybe he will. In his last year if things work out he could be contending for a Championship.

PhilFree:arrow:

PhillyChiefFan
11-13-2008, 01:32 PM
we never even should have drafted Tony. He hasn't had not one productive year his whole career. All he does is take up a roster spot.

I KNOW!! I was ALL about taking Kenny Holmes or Jim Drunkenmiller with our pick but NOOO we have to draft a pro bowl TE.

Drunkenmiller had 239 yds passing in the NFL AND a touchdown!

Damn it...not our finest hour.

Reerun_KC
11-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Whats the odds of TG retiring or leaving at the end of this year...

We still are a coaching staff and a few years away from a serious playoff run and a Superbowl...

PhillyChiefFan
11-13-2008, 01:34 PM
and wasn't Rae Carruth there too??

Damn good player and a role model for the kids.

Reerun_KC
I hope he plays for the Chiefs for two more years. If Herm would allow us to win some games before the seasons up maybe he will. In his last year if things work out he could be contending for a Championship.

PhilFree:arrow:

So you are talking about trading him again?

irishjayhawk
Waiting for Mecca...

beach tribe
11-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Waiting for Mecca...

To tell us that you should never use a pick that high on a TE? Even if the guy is 10th all time in receptions. He is, and has always been more valuable than 9 out of 10 WRs who have come through the league since he was drafted.

I have to say good job Carl for not letting him go for a 3rd. That would have been a total blunder.

Deberg_1990
11-13-2008, 01:41 PM
To tell us that you should never use a pick that high on a TE?

Well a rebuilding team should not.

When the Chiefs drafted him they were not in rebuilding mode.

If i remember correctly, didnt the Chiefs trade up to get him because Dallas coveted him?? They ended up with David LeFluer ROFL

InChiefsHell
11-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Whats the odds of TG retiring or leaving at the end of this year...

We still are a coaching staff and a few years away from a serious playoff run and a Superbowl...

Retiring? No. Wanting to leave...I'd say about 60-70%.

...I of course hope he stays.

irishjayhawk
11-13-2008, 01:42 PM
To tell us that you should never use a pick that high on a TE? Even if the guy is 10th all time in receptions. He is, and has always been more valuable than 9 out of 10 WRs who have come through the league since he was drafted.

I have to say good job Carl for not letting him go for a 3rd. That would have been a total blunder.

Actually, I would most likely agree with him.

At the time, we didn't have a quarterback. At the time, he requested to be traded. At the time and still now, draft picks meant more for the future than Tony's play did.

At the time, it would have been a good move. I'm not sure what pick(s) we would have gotten but the flip side is true as well. If Tony's play declined, you'd have been all over the "trade him while we could have" bandwagon.

JuicesFlowing
11-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Yes. I never wanted him to be traded in the first place.

Brock
11-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Now I know there was a shitload of people slamming Peterson for not getting this deal done.

Brock
11-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Actually, I would most likely agree with him.

At the time, we didn't have a quarterback. At the time, he requested to be traded. At the time and still now, draft picks meant more for the future than Tony's play did.

At the time, it would have been a good move. I'm not sure what pick(s) we would have gotten but the flip side is true as well. If Tony's play declined, you'd have been all over the "trade him while we could have" bandwagon.

If we didn't have Gonzalez, we still most likely would be scratching our heads about the QB position.

Reerun_KC
11-13-2008, 01:45 PM
Now I know there was a shitload of people slamming Peterson for not getting this deal done.

Yeah and TG took a beating for not wanting to stay and play for incompentence...

Brock
11-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Yeah and TG took a beating for not wanting to stay and play for incompentence...

Don't care.

Reerun_KC
11-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Retiring? No. Wanting to leave...I'd say about 60-70%.

...I of course hope he stays.

Yeah I still see this as TG's last year in KC. We are so far from a superbowl and at least 2-3 years from being a playoff contender. This team still lacks direction and still have injuries and holes galoure...

I can see him leaving at the end of the year, getting traded to a contender, it would be best for TG if he ever wants to sniff a superbowl...

Reerun_KC
11-13-2008, 01:48 PM
Don't care.

Either do I.... He will have his chance to leave after this season..... And very well should....

Brock
11-13-2008, 01:49 PM
Either do I.... He will have his chance to leave after this season..... And very well should....

If he wants to retire, that's fine. This thread isn't about your constant "this team and coaching staff suck" mantra.

Reerun_KC
11-13-2008, 01:52 PM
If he wants to retire, that's fine. This thread isn't about your constant "this team and coaching staff suck" mantra.

Boo Hoo....

If he wants to retire, or be traded, that is fine.. Its his right... I for one am glad he stayed, will be sad to see him leave, and would suck ass to see him in another uniform...

But such is life in the NFL....

Valiant
11-13-2008, 01:55 PM
I wanted to trade him but for nothing less then a 1st.. I love tony as a player, and want to see him win a championship, that is the only reason why I would trade him..

Reerun_KC
11-13-2008, 01:56 PM
I wanted to trade him but for nothing less then a 1st.. I love tony as a player, and want to see him win a championship, that is the only reason why I would trade him..

Well we tried to get a 2nd at the last minute... Which might of been Carls way of saying he really didnt want to part with TG...

RustShack
11-13-2008, 01:59 PM
He wont get traded after this year either, or retire. The Chiefs are starting to be competetive again and should be even better next year.

Iowanian
11-13-2008, 02:02 PM
I'm not on one hand, and am on the other.

I was for trading him at the time. He's made it clear he doesn't intend to be here next year, and I thought a rebuilding team needed all of the rebuilding players(trade or draft pick) they could get. I also thought #88 deserved a chance at a playoff win.

Now, he's playing his ass off and I've enjoyed watching him the past 3-4 weeks as much as ever. He's putting on a show for a fan base that needs some reason to keep watching, and he's prooving he's got plenty left in the tank, which will bring up the value for the offseason trade which I believe he'll request and get.

StcChief
11-13-2008, 02:02 PM
ROFLNo. No I am not glad GB
and Tony is no THannon THarpe LMAO

BigMeatballDave
11-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Never wanted him to leave, but I understood why he wanted to - and I didn't blame him. I'm glad he is still a Chief.....praying it stays that way until he retires.This

PunkinDrublic
11-13-2008, 03:21 PM
I'm sick of hearing anouncers refer to Tony as one of the greatest TEs to ever play the game. Tony is hands down greatest TE to ever play the game hands down.

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2008, 03:25 PM
I'm sick of hearing anouncers refer to Tony as one of the greatest TEs to ever play the game. Tony is hands down greatest TE to ever play the game hands down.

They say this because it's difficult to compare eras.

Mike Ditka was at one time the greatest TE of all time.

So was Ozzy Newsome.

Kellen Winslow, Sr. was very special.

None of those guys played in an era where the DB's can barely look at you without getting a penalty.

PunkinDrublic
11-13-2008, 03:32 PM
They say this because it's difficult to compare eras.

Mike Ditka was at one time the greatest TE of all time.

So was Ozzy Newsome.

Kellen Winslow, Sr. was very special.

None of those guys played in an era where the DB's can barely look at you without getting a penalty.

Yeah but Tony really redefined the position IMO. I can't think of another TE in the game who was relied on as much as Tony has been throughout his career. As great as those other players were and as great as players like Sharpe were they weren't the featured offensive players on there team to the extent that That Tony has been.

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Yeah but Tony really redefined the position IMO. I can't think of another TE in the game who was relied on as much as Tony has been throughout his career. As great as those other players were and as great as players like Sharpe were they weren't the featured offensive players on there team to the extent that That Tony has been.

Jay Novacek, Russ Francis, Dave Casper, Jackie Smith and Dwight Clark were are relied upon very heavily in their day.

I'm not dissing Gonzalez, whatsoever. It's just difficult to proclaim "Best Ever" in any sport.

That's like saying that Jack Dempsey was the best heavyweight ever. And as awesome as he was in his day, he wouldn't have held up against Rocky Marciano, let alone Muhammad Ali.

Chief_in_Commander
11-13-2008, 03:46 PM
Of all our veterans he is the one I wanted to keep. No question I would love for him to get the playoffs as a Chief but I don't think it will happen as he will get out after this year.

PunkinDrublic
11-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Jay Novacek, Russ Francis, Dave Casper, Jackie Smith and Dwight Clark were are relied upon very heavily in their day.

I'm not dissing Gonzalez, whatsoever. It's just difficult to proclaim "Best Ever" in any sport.

That's like saying that Jack Dempsey was the best heavyweight ever. And as awesome as he was in his day, he wouldn't have held up against Rocky Marciano, let alone Muhammad Ali.

I'm sure they were, and I realize this is my opinion and obviously I'm biased but I don't think any of those guys were relied on as much as Tony has been in his career.

Chief_in_Commander
11-13-2008, 04:00 PM

None of those guys had the numbers that Tony do and all of them played on championship teams with chamionship caliber players where Tony has done it with guys like Eddie Kennison, Samie Parker, Marc Boerigter and Johnnie Morton around him. Quarterback wise they had Staubach, Stabler, Montana, and Aikman where Tony had who? Trent Green, Grbac, I mean come on it's not close.

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2008, 04:16 PM
None of those guys had the numbers that Tony do and all of them played on championship teams with chamionship caliber players where Tony has done it with guys like Eddie Kennison, Samie Parker, Marc Boerigter and Johnnie Morton around him. Quarterback wise they had Staubach, Stabler, Montana, and Aikman where Tony had who? Trent Green, Grbac, I mean come on it's not close.

So?

Do you think that Gonzalez would have had the same numbers had he played for Dallas during the Troy Aikman era? How about with the 49er's while Jerry Rice and John Stallworth were on the roster?

The point is that you cannot designate "The Best of All Time" when you're comparing players of different eras, rules, etc.

beach tribe
11-13-2008, 04:20 PM
So?

Do you think that Gonzalez would have had the same numbers had he played for Dallas during the Troy Aikman era? How about with the 49er's while Jerry Rice and John Stallworth were on the roster?

The point is that you cannot designate "The Best of All Time" when you're comparing players of different eras, rules, etc.

I guess you're right, but it can definitely be said that Tony is arguably the best TE ever. Good enough for me, because no player can be said to be the best at any position. It's an opinion.

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2008, 04:22 PM
I guess you're right, but it can definitely be said that Tony is arguably the best TE ever. Good enough for me, because no player can be said to be the best at any position. It's an opinion.

Exactly.

In my mind, Gonzalez is the best ever, just like Ali is the best ever.

But who really knows?

damaticous
11-13-2008, 05:04 PM
Hell yeah. Hated the idea of one of our few vets leaving...especially one of the few that still knows how to win in this league.

Don't you mean....

"especially one of the few that REMEMBERS how to win in this league"

Sorry, Had to do it. lol

milkman
11-13-2008, 06:21 PM

John Mackey redefined the position.

Tony just made the definition sharper.

JASONSAUTO
11-13-2008, 06:22 PM
John Mackey redefined the position.

Tony just made the definition sharper.

good analogy AND im glad TG is still around

TG is high def. LOL

milkman
11-13-2008, 06:25 PM
As to the question, I'm fairly ambivalent.

For all of his numbers, the Chiefs have been mediocre or worse throughout his career.

And they will likely continue to be just that until he retires.

prhom
11-13-2008, 06:25 PM

I was for trading him at the time. He's made it clear he doesn't intend to be here next year, and I thought a rebuilding team needed all of the rebuilding players(trade or draft pick) they could get. I also thought #88 deserved a chance at a playoff win.

Now, he's playing his ass off and I've enjoyed watching him the past 3-4 weeks as much as ever. He's putting on a show for a fan base that needs some reason to keep watching, and he's prooving he's got plenty left in the tank, which will bring up the value for the offseason trade which I believe he'll request and get.

I feel much the same way on this because I think Carl should be respectful of his desires just as much as he is supposed to watch out for the best interest of the team. I thought a 3rd rounder was probably a decent deal at the time, but now that I see how much he's helping Thiggy develop I think Carl made the right choice by keeping him here.

Plus I really enjoyed his first TD against the Bolts when that DB (#27 I think) tried to push him out of bounds at the 10 and Tony just brushed him off like he was a little kid. That was awesome!

JASONSAUTO
11-13-2008, 06:27 PM
I feel much the same way on this because I think Carl should be respectful of his desires just as much as he is supposed to watch out for the best interest of the team. I thought a 3rd rounder was probably a decent deal at the time, but now that I see how much he's helping Thiggy develop I think Carl made the right choice by keeping him here.

Plus I really enjoyed his first TD against the Bolts when that DB (#27 I think) tried to push him out of bounds at the 10 and Tony just brushed him off like he was a little kid. That was awesome!

what about the throw down of the db, against tampa or the jets(he still got tackled by someone else) he was like "get off me bitch"

prhom
11-13-2008, 06:29 PM
what about the throw down of the db, against tampa or the jets(he still got tackled by someone else) he was like "get off me bitch"

Yeah! I always love it when he's one on one with a DB 'cause you know they know they're gonna get owned.

BigMeatballDave
11-13-2008, 06:33 PM

That's like saying that Jack Dempsey was the best heavyweight ever. And as awesome as he was in his day, he wouldn't have held up against Rocky Marciano, let alone Muhammad Ali.Yeah, I see what you are saying, but when his career is over he's gonna have 1000 catches. No TE will ever surpass that.

JASONSAUTO
11-13-2008, 06:33 PM
man, he just threw that cat to the ground it was GREAT

KCChiefsMan
11-13-2008, 07:46 PM
I'd hate to see Tony G go, but he should probably get traded just out of respect unless we think we can make a playoff run next year

CHENZ A!
11-13-2008, 10:07 PM
I am a Chiefs fan first, Tony fan second. I'm glad we kept him, because no way would we have gotten what he is worth in return. If we had traded him I would've wanted that team to lose every game just so MY team could have a higher draft pick.

Mr. Laz
11-13-2008, 10:55 PM
if it helps develop a QBotF then cool

but i doubt gonzo will still be around when we start to play any meaningful games around here again.

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2008, 10:59 PM
I'd hate to see Tony G go, but he should probably get traded just out of respect unless we think we can make a playoff run next year

The only problem with that is the dude is showing absolutely no signs of wearing down.

If the Chiefs even get close to the return on 2009 draft as they did in 2008 (let alone 2010), this team will be poised to make a serious run.

At that point, TG may be 35 but older guys have won Super Bowls, too.

beach tribe
11-14-2008, 06:29 AM
The only problem with that is the dude is showing absolutely no signs of wearing down.

If the Chiefs even get close to the return on 2009 draft as they did in 2008 (let alone 2010), this team will be poised to make a serious run.

This. Yrah, I want Tony to win a PO game or SB, but I would much rather him do it in RednGold. Like you say, the guy looks 28, he takes care of himself, and is without a doubt, one of the top players at his position. I say Carl should tell him to sit tight, and that we're gonna try to get him some post season wins.

TommyHawk69
11-14-2008, 06:45 AM
As to the question, I'm fairly ambivalent.

For all of his numbers, the Chiefs have been mediocre or worse throughout his career.

And they will likely continue to be just that until he retires.

So basically you are saying until he retires we are gonna be mediocre. Ok

Deberg_1990
11-14-2008, 06:59 AM
One of Tony G's main assets is that hes been that rare freakish athlete that hasnt been hurt much. I dont think hes ever had any major injuries??

Hes been remarkably consistent.

ChiefJustice
11-14-2008, 08:52 AM
Tony is our George Brett.It doesn't mean a thing if he wins a ring for another team.

The one uniform is all that matters.

Integrity and respect,hopefully,will let TG retire as a Chief.

chiefsngop
11-15-2008, 01:16 PM

Yes ! That's the drum I've been beating.

If TG can stay healthy and competitive for just 2 more seasons (which he shows every sign of being able to do) we may just be using his talents and services in a real super bowl run.

the Talking Can
11-15-2008, 01:21 PM

this

milkman
11-15-2008, 01:22 PM
So basically you are saying until he retires we are gonna be mediocre. Ok

No, that's not at all what I'm saying.

What I'm saying is that for all his numbers, he is not a difference maker, so in the end, I don't care whether he ends his career in KC or not.

JuicesFlowing
11-15-2008, 01:54 PM

What I'm saying is that for all his numbers, he is not a difference maker, so in the end, I don't care whether he ends his career in KC or not.

I would argue that he is a difference maker. He never gives up on any play, and when the ball is in his hands, it takes two guys to bring him down. He makes amazing catches, and whether he wants to be in KC or not, he brings a good attitude to the locker room, team, and community. If that doesn't define "difference maker" then I don't know what does.

KCChiefsMan
11-15-2008, 04:46 PM

seriously?

milkman
11-15-2008, 06:07 PM
I would argue that he is a difference maker. He never gives up on any play, and when the ball is in his hands, it takes two guys to bring him down. He makes amazing catches, and whether he wants to be in KC or not, he brings a good attitude to the locker room, team, and community. If that doesn't define "difference maker" then I don't know what does.

As most do.

However, while a great TE is a nice luxury, it's not a position of need for a championship calibre team.

See the NY Giants.

milkman
11-15-2008, 06:08 PM
seriously?

Yes I am.

It's not a popular opinion.

Chiefaholic
11-15-2008, 06:55 PM
A team like this one needs all the draft picks we can get. But, not at the expense of trading away the best player this franchise has drafted since DT. There are just some things that are more important than a potential starter.