PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Eileen Weir's latest, and possibly worst ever

shaneo69
11-13-2008, 11:57 AM
Is she trying to be sarcastic? I don't get it.

Flawed Thinking
Nov 13, 2008, 11:46:51 AM by Eileen Weir

Fellow Chiefs fans, let’s all simmer down.

Moods are jolly around town following three weeks of encouraging performances from the Kansas City Chiefs players, and the team is receiving some high praise for its ability to move the football. Due credit is being bestowed upon the pro personnel department for its job in seeking out available mid-season talent and shipping in emergency players from far and wide to be surrogates for the walking wounded in the red and gold. The Arrowhead Stadium copy machine is a front runner for MVP as it cranks out the supplemental bio package as thick as a suburban phone book and the coaching staff is making sound substitutions at key positions. Offensive Coordinator Chan Gailey is hauling home the Peter Pan Award for allowing boys to be boys and giving the squad the proper plan to do what they do best.

In Kansas City the Chiefs are back on top for entertainment value. Near victories against the New York Jets, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and San Diego Chargers have enlivened the support for emerging young players and made unknowns household names. Local embroiderers are working up some Brian De La Puente jerseys just in case. Fans and media alike are netting the first rewards of the team’s rebuilding challenges by witnessing the preliminary breakout moments of players who may become the future stars of the franchise.

But let us not be blinded by the celestial brightness now reaching us from the vast darkness of the past twelve months. While fans eager for positive signs are ready to proclaim the Chiefs the greatest 1-8 team in the history of professional athletics, Bill Parcell’s famous assertion is best kept in mind: You are what your record says you are. Sporting the 2nd lowest win total in the NFL, the Chiefs record is not good and neither is this team.

There is nary a sports fan alive who hasn’t suffered through impassioned persuasions that a team is really not as bad as its record reflects. Those familiar justifications abound this day in KC. If it weren’t for a bad offensive holding call on TE Tony Gonzales than the Chiefs would have beat the Bucs. If the snap and hold weren’t muffed on the extra point attempt then the team would have won in San Diego. If the coach would have managed the clock better than Brett Favre wouldn’t have had enough time for the winning touchdown play. If those games had been victories instead of defeats the Chiefs would be just one game out of first place in the division! And if ifs and buts were candy and nuts we’d all have a Merry Christmas.

Here’s the fact. Bad teams find ways to lose close games. Spirits are on the rise in Chiefs territory because of great play from players from whom fans had no expectations. But check this. Despite gaudy passer ratings over the past three outings, Chiefs QB Tyler Thigpen is ranked 29th among all NFL passers with an overall completion percentage of 54.2% (31st in the League). Benefitting from the enthusiasm of a town actively hunting down the heartening statistics, Thigpen is being touted as a staunch protector of the football but the numbers show he has thrown four interceptions against just eight touchdowns. Thigpen gave up no picks on Sunday in San Diego but threw one in the loss against the Bucs and two against the Jets. Are Chiefs fans truly willing to settle for “improvement” at the sacrifice of “victory”?

Thigpen has come a long way since his three-interception debut against the Atlanta Falcons in September. With the memory of that flustered and clumsy performance magnified in Kansas City’s mind’s eye, it is remarkable to see the progression of Thigpen to his current status as the team’s starting QB. Quickly developing poise in the pocket, leadership in the huddle, and rhythm with his offensive teammates, Thigpen has proved to be a gifted and accelerated student at the quarterback spot. He has exceeded every expectation and become a rallying point for the fans and followers of this team walking a tightrope between contention and catastrophe.

Do not let your mind be fooled. Looking at this team through the filter of the past three weeks will lead you down the path to certain destruction. Those old familiar refrains are seeping back into the Chiefs lexicon, the suggestion that the team is just a few plays away from victory, just a couple of players shy of a championship. NO! Plug your ears! Blind you eyes! And if the urge overcomes you to utter such sentiment, cut out your tongue! If you encounter a liar speaking blasphemy, put that devil behind you!

With victory so near these past weeks, Chiefs fans have been lured dangerously close to believing that this team is not as bad as once thought. Wrong. The team has no active player who is near the top fifty in total rushing or yards per carry. Behind recently-promoted running back Jamaal Charles and Larry Johnson, the Chiefs quarterback is the team’s yard gainer with the ball in hand. Those aren’t productive yards. Those yards come from dashing for the sideline in an effort to preserve one’s life and happening to head north.

One has to scroll quite a ways town the League leader board to find the Chiefs top tackler, strong safety Bernard Pollard with an underwhelming 52 takedowns. That number equals that of 34-year old Atlanta Falcon’s SS Lawyer Milloy who you might remember from the 1990’s. The Chiefs are dead last in the League in total team defense. Dead last. Behind the Detroit Lions who are the world’s consensus pick for the worst team in the chronicle of organized athletics. The unit that was supposed to be the building block for the future of the Chiefs while we waited for the offense to catch up has given up more than 406 yards per game. The defense is not very good on first down, allowing 20 per game and worse on third down allowing the conversion 51% of the time. And still the fans marvel that the team let three straight games slip through its fingers.

As a fan, I as am encouraged as anyone by the exciting play and new found teamwork demonstrated in recent outings. Our eyes can attest to the improvement of a number of rookie and first year players and see a cohesiveness materializing. But this team is a long, long way from where it needs to be, and the priorities cannot change in the wake of a handful of positive yardage plays. Come April the team needs to actively pursue a franchise quarterback to lay the cornerstone for the organization for the long-term.

Head coach Herm Edwards is consistent in his response when questioned about the future of the Kansas City Chiefs. Whether faced with an inquiry about a personnel decision, a disciplinary action, or a down-the-road draft strategy, Coach Edwards taps his inner Scarlett O’Hara and replies, “I can’t think about that right now. If I do I’ll go crazy. I’ll think about that tomorrow.”

If Chiefs fans wish not to think about tomorrow, think about yesterday. Recall the reckless thinking that brought us to be the hometown of the second worst record – and thereby the next—to-worst team – in the NFL. Years of accepting the myth that the Chiefs were within a key free agent signing or a deft draft choice away from playoff domination proved faulty reasoning then and remains flawed judgment now. Don’t believe it. And for goodness sake, don’t perpetuate it.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/11/13/flawed_thinking/

Mecca
11-13-2008, 11:59 AM
Um she's not the only one who thinks this.

I just listened to Petro going off about how this team completely sucks and losing close and thinking that means we're better is completely retarded.

Then he said this KC Royals mentality creeping over to arrowhead is complete crap being 1-8 sucks just wanting to be 500 sucks.

Then he said anyone who acts like what they're doing now puts them closer than when they were 9-0 is a complete moron.

Duck Dog
11-13-2008, 12:18 PM
Moods are jolly around town following three weeks of encouraging performances from the Kansas City Chiefs players, and the team is receiving some high praise for its ability to move the football. Due credit is being bestowed upon the pro personnel department

She lost me here. However, her assessment of our Dfence was accurate but then she had to follow that with the 'franchise QB' remark.

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2008, 12:23 PM
That whole article is a prime example of poor writing skills and logic.

I assume the point of the article is to say "The Chiefs still suck and need an enormous amount of youthful talent to reach a high-level of consistent play. Don't be fooled by the last three performances. They're 1-18 in the past 19 games".

But instead, she rambles on aimlessly and contradicts various points.

Chief Faithful
11-13-2008, 12:23 PM
Nobody expects a good team this season the expectation is for improvement as the season progresses and improvement they have shown.

chiefsngop
11-13-2008, 12:28 PM
Wow. I can't stand Herm & I can't stand Carl.

But c'mon lady, you have ZERO understanding of what a rebuild is, & neither does Petro.

MikeMaslowski
11-13-2008, 12:29 PM
supplemental bio package as thick as a suburban phone book

WOW! That was my nickname in High School!

Honestly... I couldn't read the whole article.

Alphaman
11-13-2008, 12:42 PM
With victory so near these past weeks, Chiefs fans have been lured dangerously close to believing that this team is not as bad as once thought. Wrong. The team has no active player who is near the top fifty in total rushing or yards per carry. Behind recently-promoted running back Jamaal Charles and Larry Johnson, the Chiefs quarterback is the team’s yard gainer with the ball in hand. Those aren’t productive yards. Those yards come from dashing for the sideline in an effort to preserve one’s life and happening to head north.

i get the point she's making and can agree with it. However, it is important to get the facts correct. LJ is number 26 in total rushing and Charles is number 46. Not great, but LJ has only played 5 games.

Benefitting from the enthusiasm of a town actively hunting down the heartening statistics, Thigpen is being touted as a staunch protector of the football but the numbers show he has thrown four interceptions against just eight touchdowns. Thigpen gave up no picks on Sunday in San Diego but threw one in the loss against the Bucs and two against the Jets. Are Chiefs fans truly willing to settle for “improvement” at the sacrifice of “victory”?

Once again, let's get the fact straight. Thigpen had 1 int against the Raiders and 3 against Atlanta. He has not had one in the last 3 games (Jets, Bucs and Chargers).

Your analysis loses credibility when the facts are incorrect.

Mecca
11-13-2008, 12:45 PM
Wow. I can't stand Herm & I can't stand Carl.

But c'mon lady, you have ZERO understanding of what a rebuild is, & neither does Petro.

Actually there are some things about this rebuild that you can absolutely rip on right now.

The Chiefs have 4 guys on their Dline drafted in the 1st 3 rounds....the lack of sacks and bad rush D, you can jump up and down about that.

Alphaman
11-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Actually there are some things about this rebuild that you can absolutely rip on right now.

The Chiefs have 4 guys on their Dline drafted in the 1st 3 rounds....the lack of sacks and bad rush D, you can jump up and down about that.

True, but Tank Tyler and Glenn Dorsey played very strong games agains the Chargers. They were disruptive in the middle. Also note the improvement in the run defense the last 2 games (include the Jets game outside of the one big run).

MVChiefFan
11-13-2008, 12:50 PM
QUOTE]Once again, let's get the fact straight. Thigpen had 1 int against the Raiders and 3 against Atlanta. He has not had one in the last 3 games (Jets, Bucs and Chargers).

This is exactly what I was thinking. I thought I had lost my mind and I had to go check the stats. I don't know what games she's been watching but this article came out of nowhere.

StcChief
11-13-2008, 01:18 PM
is she now filling in media space for some of the 'Let Go guys' ... or picking up some side money ...

avoid football Eileen really not your game.

Big Chief Homer
11-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Local embroiderers are working up some Brian De La Puente jerseys just in case.

De La Puente was cut like 3 weeks ago wasnt he?

bishop_74
11-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Thigpen is being touted as a staunch protector of the football but the numbers show he has thrown four interceptions against just eight touchdowns. Thigpen gave up no picks on Sunday in San Diego but threw one in the loss against the Bucs and two against the Jets. Are Chiefs fans truly willing to settle for “improvement” at the sacrifice of “victory”?

G QBRat Comp Att Pct Yds Y/G Y/A TD Int Rush Yds Y/G Avg TD Sack YdsL Fum FumL
Last 4 Games 4 101.1 71 113 62.8 786 196.5 7.0 6 0 15 89 22.3 5.9 1 7 39 0 0
Week 7 (TEN) 1 68.8 5 11 45.5 76 76.0 6.9 0 0 3 21 21.0 7.0 1 1 6 0 0
Week 8 (@NYJ) 1 110.9 25 36 69.4 280 280.0 7.8 2 0 4 20 20.0 5.0 0 4 30 0 0
Week 9 (TAM) 1 89.4 14 25 56.0 164 164.0 6.6 1 0 6 22 22.0 3.7 0 1 0 0 0
Week 10 (@SDG) 1 108.4 27 41 65.9 266 266.0 6.5 3 0 2 26 26.0 13.0 0 1 3 0 0

JuicesFlowing
11-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Local embroiderers are working up some Brian De La Puente jerseys just in case.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/11/13/flawed_thinking/

??????????????????????

FringeNC
11-13-2008, 01:48 PM
How can anyone write a story about the current state of the Chiefs without a mention of the apostacy of Herm Edwards with regards to offensive philosophy?

It's apparent that Herm Edwards massively hand-cuffed this team with a simpleton offensive philosophy, given our recent success. And now, Herm is running a pass-first spread offense that is WORKING, and Thigpen looks like he may excel in this offense.

Weir's story would have been fine if all that had happened was we started playing better with no changes in philosophy. Of course, nothing could be further from the truth. The real question is will Herm keep this offense, will it continues to work, and is Thigpen legit.

Stupid article.

Reerun_KC
11-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Weir's story would have been fine if all that had happened was we started playing better with no changes in philosophy. Of course, nothing could be further from the truth. The real question is will Herm keep this offense, will it continues to work, and is Thigpen legit.

Stupid article.

These are the questions that should be asked... Instead of bellying up to the bar for more Kool-aid, we should take a cautious approach and try to look over the whole picture...

People are to easily blinded by the now and fail to look ahead...

JuicesFlowing
11-13-2008, 01:51 PM
She really, really could have found a better player to use as an example.

beach tribe
11-13-2008, 01:52 PM
You have got to be kidding me with these facts. These people get paid for this? Wow. I'd get fired if the facts in my work were anywhere near that skewed.

Reerun_KC
11-13-2008, 01:53 PM
You have got to be kidding me with these facts. These people get paid for this? Wow. I'd get fired if the facts in my work were anywhere near that skewed.

Maybe put a resume together and send it to the star?

What do you have to lose?

Pitt Gorilla
11-13-2008, 01:56 PM
I couldn't make it through that thing. After a couple of paragraphs, it just wasn't interesting.

Thig Lyfe
11-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Whatta maroon.

kaplin42
11-13-2008, 02:23 PM
Actually. She is spot on, on all of it. The team is absolutely horrible. While progress is being made, and it is a rebuilding year, the team still outright stinks.

For those of you starting pin your hopes on Thigpen, I’m willing to bet you were the same people that jumped on the Croyle and/or Huard bandwagon. Its really just mob mentality. Neither of them had shown anything worth believing they were a long term solution, and in my eyes, neither has Thigpen.

The defense still blows donkey balls. They have a hard time stopping anyone, and when they do get a team in 3rd and long, they give up 3rd and longer. The offensive line is a comedy of errors and the mentally challenged, the running game had promise until injuries took over, and even though LJ is back, he hasn't done shit in 2 years now. The coaching staff is by far and away the worst. The head coach believes in a system that almost a decade old, his offensive philosophy can work great, if you have the right team to run it, but he had to lose his star RB before he finally decided to adjust to the players he had. If LJ never would have got suspended, then we would still be doing RRPP. He has no clue that there is a term called "Half Time Adjustments" and his idea of clock management is pushing the button on his stop watch. Gunther was once maybe a great coach, but he has had 5 years now, and the D is just as bad as the GRob days, if not worse. Gailey, I will let slide since he is still new, and he has shown the ability to adjust to his players.

While I am happy to see that the team is slowly coming together, to give in to the false belief that the Chiefs are one play, or one player from be great is only fooling yourself. The team as a whole, needs a lot of work, and I suspect that we won’t see much difference next season either. Not until the front office, and the coaching staff are washed away and we get something new.

Thig Lyfe
11-13-2008, 02:39 PM
There was a Croyle bandwagon?

shaneo69
11-13-2008, 02:50 PM
What I don't understand is, from the Chiefs propaganda machine in the past, all we've gotten is excuse after excuse about why we should be patient with our QB's when they suck balls. Now we've got a guy who's putting up Pro Bowl fantasy stats five games into his career and no matter what he does the rest of the year, we should pick a franchise QB with our top pick in April. WTF?

If you're trying to rebuild, this is what it looks like. You lose close games. Rebuilding is not getting whipped by the Raiders at home or losing 34-0 to the Titans at home. The biggest part of a rebuild is finding your franchise QB. If the rest of the season shows that Thigpen is the guy, then this has been a great rebuilding year, no matter what the record is. And it looks like we found a #2 WR as well. Great progress.

Living in St. Louis, I saw Kurt Warner come out of nowhere to become MVP and win a Super Bowl. Not saying Thigpen's going to reach that level, but it can happen. There is no reason for Weir's criticism of Thigpen at this point, especially from someone who's been such a freaking homer in the past.

Chief_in_Commander
11-13-2008, 03:36 PM
I couldn't make it through that thing. After a couple of paragraphs, it just wasn't interesting.

Exacty same for me, after reading her stat line of Thiggy throwing pics in the tampa and jets game I stopped reading. I guess there is a reason i have never read her material and have never heard of her. She makes Whitlock look like a genius.....ok that's impossible, but still, who in there right mind thought we would be good this year. Everybody with a sense of football that is a Chiefs follower knew this would be a painful year and just wanted to see progress and thus far we have seen it. Even though the place with all the pick's (DL) isn't where it's at there is still progress elsewhere.

FringeNC
11-13-2008, 04:26 PM
What I don't understand is, from the Chiefs propaganda machine in the past, all we've gotten is excuse after excuse about why we should be patient with our QB's when they suck balls. Now we've got a guy who's putting up Pro Bowl fantasy stats five games into his career and no matter what he does the rest of the year, we should pick a franchise QB with our top pick in April. WTF?

If you're trying to rebuild, this is what it looks like. You lose close games. Rebuilding is not getting whipped by the Raiders at home or losing 34-0 to the Titans at home. The biggest part of a rebuild is finding your franchise QB. If the rest of the season shows that Thigpen is the guy, then this has been a great rebuilding year, no matter what the record is. And it looks like we found a #2 WR as well. Great progress.

Living in St. Louis, I saw Kurt Warner come out of nowhere to become MVP and win a Super Bowl. Not saying Thigpen's going to reach that level, but it can happen. There is no reason for Weir's criticism of Thigpen at this point, especially from someone who's been such a freaking homer in the past.

I agree. The possible emergence of Tyler Thigpen and our new spread offense is the first reason to have one sliver of excitement about this team since we got eliminated from playoff contention in 2005. Whether both pan out is THE STORY of the the rest of the season.

Red Beans
11-13-2008, 04:38 PM
I wonder what it's like to write for a living and be absolutely mentally disabled...

Short Leash Hootie
11-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Thigpen threw 0 picks againt the Bucs and 0 against the Jets...what is she talking about?

milkman
11-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Actually. She is spot on, on all of it. The team is absolutely horrible. While progress is being made, and it is a rebuilding year, the team still outright stinks.

For those of you starting pin your hopes on Thigpen, I’m willing to bet you were the same people that jumped on the Croyle and/or Huard bandwagon. Its really just mob mentality. Neither of them had shown anything worth believing they were a long term solution, and in my eyes, neither has Thigpen.

The defense still blows donkey balls. They have a hard time stopping anyone, and when they do get a team in 3rd and long, they give up 3rd and longer. The offensive line is a comedy of errors and the mentally challenged, the running game had promise until injuries took over, and even though LJ is back, he hasn't done shit in 2 years now. The coaching staff is by far and away the worst. The head coach believes in a system that almost a decade old, his offensive philosophy can work great, if you have the right team to run it, but he had to lose his star RB before he finally decided to adjust to the players he had. If LJ never would have got suspended, then we would still be doing RRPP. He has no clue that there is a term called "Half Time Adjustments" and his idea of clock management is pushing the button on his stop watch. Gunther was once maybe a great coach, but he has had 5 years now, and the D is just as bad as the GRob days, if not worse. Gailey, I will let slide since he is still new, and he has shown the ability to adjust to his players.

While I am happy to see that the team is slowly coming together, to give in to the false belief that the Chiefs are one play, or one player from be great is only fooling yourself. The team as a whole, needs a lot of work, and I suspect that we won’t see much difference next season either. Not until the front office, and the coaching staff are washed away and we get something new.

You come really close to making some interesting points, only to miss the mark and land in the area of dumbassery.

Cornstock
11-13-2008, 08:08 PM
i get the point she's making and can agree with it. However, it is important to get the facts correct. LJ is number 26 in total rushing and Charles is number 46. Not great, but LJ has only played 5 games.

Once again, let's get the fact straight. Thigpen had 1 int against the Raiders and 3 against Atlanta. He has not had one in the last 3 games (Jets, Bucs and Chargers).

This is horrible... I can't believe a PAID journalist could make a mistake so blatent. She obviously didnt even watch the game, she just looked at the stats and saw "2 ints" in the Jets game and "1 int" in the Bucs game, when that was the Chiefs who actually did the intercepting. Weir has lost a lot of respect in my eyes.

chiefsngop
11-14-2008, 03:01 PM

Agreed.

Progress is starting to show slowly though. Without Herm it'd be showing faster.

Football history shows us your couldn't expect much from GD this year anyway, takes time to develop.

Dorsey gets a year of growth under his belt and either Tamba gets his sh*t straight or we find someone to replace him and the D-line will look much much better.

The fact that we were able to keep the Chargers O someone in check with a thrown together critically injured defensive squad shows some promise.