PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Brian Orakpo

RustShack
11-13-2008, 03:35 PM
Sounds like a freak, but does being so strong and not really all that tall and long make him a LE instead of the elite pass rushing RE we are looking for?

CupidStunt
11-13-2008, 03:36 PM
He's also very quick off the snap and has good moves, so no.

RustShack
11-13-2008, 03:37 PM
Brian Orakpo-

Overall Football Traits
-Production 2 Orakpo has played in 35 career games (10 starts) and has notched 90 tackles, 19 TFL, 10.5 sacks, 32 pressures, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery during his three seasons of playing time thus far. He redshirted in 2004 before playing in all 13 games (one start) at defensive end in 2005. He played in all 13 games as a sophomore in 2006, finishing with 26 tackles, including 4.5 sacks. Orakpo then started eight of the nine games he played as a junior in 2007, finishing with 37 tackles, nine TFL, 5.5 sacks, 12 pressures and a forced fumble
-Height-Weight-Speed 2 Possesses adequate height and bulk. Still has some room left on his frame to get bigger. Speed is adequate-to-good but not at elite level
-Durability 3 Sprained right knee during 2007 opener (Arkansas State) was an early setback. He missed the next four games as a result but did finish the season strong, including two sacks vs. ASU in Holiday Bowl.
-Character 0 N/A

Defensive End specific Traits
-Agility/Quickness 2 Very fluid athlete. Can change directions smoothly for a taller end and shows good closing quickness in pursuit. But he lacks ideal initial burst and seems to take too long to reach full speed.
-Strength/Toughness 3 Stronger in the upper body than he is in the lower body. Does not have the base to win many phone booth battles and he doesn't do himself any favors by playing too high at times
-Instincts 3 Snap anticipation is inconsistent. Seems to find the ball quickly in the backfield. Also does a good job of getting his arms up as a pass rusher in order to bat passes down when he doesn't get to the QB in time
-Pass Rusher 2 He's a fluid athlete with some good double moves as a pass rusher. He has solid instincts and closing burst to the QB. However, his initial burst was not that of an elite edge rusher in 2007, which is partially attributed to his sprained knee in the season opener. Most of his sack production comes from him stunting/angling/twisting to the inside. Needs to prove in 2008 he has to burst to consistently turn the corner as an edge rusher in the NFL.
-Run Stopper 3 Much improved in this area but still a work in progress. Does a good job of using his long arms and quick hands to keep blockers off his pads temporarily. Plays with discipline and will fight to finish. However, he lacks ideal size, he plays with a narrow base and he struggles to hold ground when teams run at him. Also does not protect his legs well enough.

Trait Scale
1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal

suds79
11-13-2008, 04:12 PM
I just want a RDE with an amazing 1st step and some good pass rush moves. I don't know enough about Orakpo to say if he has that or if he doesn't.

I don't care about what he looks like or what kind of weight he can push (somebody posted a youtube vid on Orakpo basically talking about his amazing weight lifting) because remember last year how everybody was blowing their wad in how Vernon Gholston looked? He's not even starting according to NFL.com. 7 total tackles and 0 sacks so far this year.

RustShack
11-13-2008, 04:14 PM
If the weight room and combine decided how good a player was, Vernon Davis is the greatest TE to ever see the field.

beach tribe
11-13-2008, 04:17 PM
I just want a RDE with an amazing 1st step and some good pass rush moves. I don't know enough about Orakpo to say if he has that or if he doesn't.

I don't care about what he looks like or what kind of weight he can push (somebody posted a youtube vid on Orakpo basically talking about his amazing weight lifting) because remember last year how everybody was blowing their wad in how Vernon Gholston looked? He's not even starting according to NFL.com. 7 total tackles and 0 sacks so far this year.

Yeah, measurables are good, and all, but shouldn't production be the end all. Freeney isn't tall, or have a big wingspan, neither did DT. I just want some one who can rush the fuck out of the QB. That's why I don't really like MJ out of GT. He looks like beast, but it doesn't translate to much on the field. I'm thinking Selvie would be a great snag in the 2nd, but Mcbride would probably have to rotate in on 1st down. I don't think Selvie is gonna be that great against the run.

B_Ambuehl
11-13-2008, 04:37 PM
Over-rated. You gotta factor in the type of offenses he's playing against on a weekly basis. It's a lot easier to get sacks in the big 12 when every team runs the spread and tries to throw for 500 yards a game then it is a conference like the SEC where defensive lineman have to honor the running game. This guy didn't get any pressure at all against a Texas Tech team that threw the ball 50 times what's he gonna look like going against NFL left tackles?

beach tribe
11-13-2008, 05:07 PM
Over-rated. You gotta factor in the type of offenses he's playing against on a weekly basis. It's a lot easier to get sacks in the big 12 when every team runs the spread and tries to throw for 500 yards a game then it is a conference like the SEC where defensive lineman have to honor the running game. This guy didn't get any pressure at all against a Texas Tech team that threw the ball 50 times what's he gonna look like going against NFL left tackles?

I don't think playing against the spread really heps you out in the sack department. I mean look at how much better our line looks now. The QB always in SG, and getting rid of the ball quick does not make getting to the QB easy.
I know people will disagree, but I've actually been paying attention to this, because a couple of us had this discussion about a month ago, and it seems like the teams running spread, and a lot of SG, aren't giving up a lot of sacks, but this is just the games I've watched, I would like to see some actual stats to go along with the argument.

ChiefsCountry
11-13-2008, 05:09 PM

You do realize he was hurt against Tech.

Mizzou_8541
11-13-2008, 05:10 PM
I don't think playing against the spread really heps you out in the sack department. I mean look at how much better our line looks now. The QB always in SG, and getting rid of the ball quick does not make getting to the QB easy.
I know people will disagree, but I've actually been paying attention to this, because a couple of us had this discussion about a month ago, and it seems like the teams running spread, and a lot of SG, aren't giving up a lot of sacks, but this is just the games I've watched, I would like to see some actual stats to go along with the argument.

Didn't he get hurt fairly early in the TT game?

Mizzou_8541
11-13-2008, 05:11 PM
You do realize he was hurt against Tech.

What he said.

beach tribe
11-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Didn't he get hurt fairly early in the TT game?

I was also stating in general, because he was saying that he plays against a lot spread teams, and that, that would inflate his stats.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-13-2008, 05:32 PM
We have a 300 post thread about this guy, already.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Brian Orakpo-

Overall Football Traits
-Production 2 Orakpo has played in 35 career games (10 starts) and has notched 90 tackles, 19 TFL, 10.5 sacks, 32 pressures, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery during his three seasons of playing time thus far. He redshirted in 2004 before playing in all 13 games (one start) at defensive end in 2005. He played in all 13 games as a sophomore in 2006, finishing with 26 tackles, including 4.5 sacks. Orakpo then started eight of the nine games he played as a junior in 2007, finishing with 37 tackles, nine TFL, 5.5 sacks, 12 pressures and a forced fumble
-Height-Weight-Speed 2 Possesses adequate height and bulk. Still has some room left on his frame to get bigger. Speed is adequate-to-good but not at elite level
-Durability 3 Sprained right knee during 2007 opener (Arkansas State) was an early setback. He missed the next four games as a result but did finish the season strong, including two sacks vs. ASU in Holiday Bowl.
-Character 0 N/A

Defensive End specific Traits
-Agility/Quickness 2 Very fluid athlete. Can change directions smoothly for a taller end and shows good closing quickness in pursuit. But he lacks ideal initial burst and seems to take too long to reach full speed.
-Strength/Toughness 3 Stronger in the upper body than he is in the lower body. Does not have the base to win many phone booth battles and he doesn't do himself any favors by playing too high at times
-Instincts 3 Snap anticipation is inconsistent. Seems to find the ball quickly in the backfield. Also does a good job of getting his arms up as a pass rusher in order to bat passes down when he doesn't get to the QB in time
-Pass Rusher 2 He's a fluid athlete with some good double moves as a pass rusher. He has solid instincts and closing burst to the QB. However, his initial burst was not that of an elite edge rusher in 2007, which is partially attributed to his sprained knee in the season opener. Most of his sack production comes from him stunting/angling/twisting to the inside. Needs to prove in 2008 he has to burst to consistently turn the corner as an edge rusher in the NFL.
-Run Stopper 3 Much improved in this area but still a work in progress. Does a good job of using his long arms and quick hands to keep blockers off his pads temporarily. Plays with discipline and will fight to finish. However, he lacks ideal size, he plays with a narrow base and he struggles to hold ground when teams run at him. Also does not protect his legs well enough.

Trait Scale
1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal

This is outdated. He's almost doubled his sack total this year.

chiefzilla1501
11-13-2008, 09:19 PM
I dunno. If we're talking about a top 5 pick, you don't want to hear doubts about speed off the edges or incapability to stop the run. You better be a complete player OR be really outstanding at one of those two things.

shaneo69
11-15-2008, 10:50 AM
He didn't start against KU today. Announcers said he'd play on passing downs.

IMO, this guy doesn't have the stats to be considered top 10 material.

Measurables are great, but at some point, it has to translate into domination on the field.

The Bad Guy
11-15-2008, 11:09 AM

Measurables are great, but at some point, it has to translate into domination on the field.

He's hurt.

MIAdragon
11-15-2008, 11:37 AM

Have you watched him play at all??

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qN2rNQac-Pw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qN2rNQac-Pw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b0fudWpk2mU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b0fudWpk2mU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fGUc3UL64f0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fGUc3UL64f0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Blindside58
11-15-2008, 03:24 PM
He was interviewed before the KU game and sounded just like Michael Clarke Duncan. Very Deep gutteral voice. I would be intimidated by just that. Fuck Football Skills!

Bowser
11-15-2008, 03:58 PM
I'm sure it's been said somewhere, but the thought of Rak alongside a second year Dorsey = pain for opposing QB's.

blackhawk
11-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Brian Orakpo=Vernon Gholston!
Vernon Gholston Godlike
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE2y_ypR9wQ

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-15-2008, 06:15 PM

He was hurt, and before he was hurt he was putting up more than a sack a game, you stupid fuck.

PhillyChiefFan
11-15-2008, 06:39 PM
515 lb bench? what a bitch.

googlegoogle
11-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Like the FSU kid more than Orakpo.

This link says he is a Tamba Clone. Not fast but overpowers opponents. We need speed.
nfldraftdog.com/2009_NFL_Draft/brian_orakpo.htm

the Talking Can
11-28-2008, 08:18 PM
If the weight room and combine decided how good a player was, Vernon Davis is the greatest TE to ever see the field.

jared allen had the body of a drunken frat boy coming out of college....and no one could stop him

numbers are waaaay over rated...

but i haven't watched any of the DE's in this draft closely, so i can't speak to their relative merits...

the Talking Can
11-28-2008, 08:30 PM

huh?

getting sacks is much harder against the spread...thats the reason teams use it

Mr. Laz
11-28-2008, 08:43 PM
seems to take too long to reach full speed.

Stronger in the upper body than he is in the lower body.

playing too high at times

Snap anticipation is inconsistent.

that doesn't bode well

Count Zarth
11-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Can someone give me a good reason not to take Orakpo if Stafford is gone?

If you say Oher you lose a testicle.

B_Ambuehl
11-28-2008, 09:08 PM

I take that comment back. I zeroed in on him most of the game last night when they played Texas A&M. He doesn't have any moves yet and I don't even think he had any sacks, but hes definitely got the very rare raw athleticism necessary to get after the quarterback. I'm not even gonna say who he reminds me of cuz you guys will shit your pants.

Tribal Warfare
11-28-2008, 09:10 PM
C

If you say Oher you lose a testicle.

Why? What's wrong with securing the Offensive Line?

Count Zarth
11-28-2008, 09:12 PM
I take that comment back. I zeroed in on him most of the game last night when they played Texas A&M. He doesn't have any moves yet and I don't even think he had any sacks, but hes definitely got the very rare raw athleticism necessary to get after the quarterback. I'm not even gonna say who he reminds me of cuz you guys will shit your pants.

Please, it's obvious: Derrick Thomas. He has the same squatty build and the same agility. Hell, some of those videos, you put a 58 on the guy and you can't tell a difference.

Now if we can just get rid of Krumrie and find someone to coach him up.

Why? What's wrong with securing the Offensive Line?

You don't spend a top five pick on a right tackle.

Tribal Warfare
11-28-2008, 09:13 PM
You don't spend a top five pick on a right tackle.

What? You move Albert to RT, and Oher will play LT

Count Zarth
11-28-2008, 09:14 PM

You're just precious.

Mr. Laz
11-28-2008, 09:14 PM
you aren't actually trying to "discuss" football with "it" are you?

The Bad Guy
11-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Moving Albert is simply moronic.

The guy has played incredibly well there as a ROOKIE. He is the LT of the future of this team. He is one of the few brightspots we have.

Tribal Warfare
11-28-2008, 09:18 PM

Again Why? If one can secure two positions with one pick it would totally suck correct

the Talking Can
11-28-2008, 09:20 PM

The guy has played incredibly well there as a ROOKIE. He is the LT of the future of this team. He is one of the few brightspots we have.

amen

the guy is going to be a great LT and people want to move him...

he's had an outstanding rookie year

best of any of our draft picks

The Bad Guy
11-28-2008, 09:28 PM
Again Why? If one can secure two positions with one pick it would totally suck correct

Because you have a great player at the LT position for years to come. You do not move him, have him learn a new position that he may not be suited for (he's not a dominating run blocking tackle) just so you can draft a guy who MIGHT be as good as Albert at LT.

Tribal Warfare
11-28-2008, 09:40 PM
Because you have a great player at the LT position for years to come.

Jesus, might?Oher since high school has been the most highly touted prospect since Orlando Pace. The odds of him succeeding are pretty damn high. Albert is a great utility player if one can secure both sides of the line then who ever is the QB next year will not have to sweat that a raging DE will be down his throat.

Count Zarth
11-28-2008, 09:43 PM
Jesus, might?Oher since high school has been the most highly touted prospect since Orlando Pace. The odds of him succeeding are pretty damn high. Albert is a great utility player if one can secure both sides of the line then who ever is the QB next year will not have to sweat that a raging DE will be down his throat.

I made this post awhile ago. You seem to apply to the logic I used:

People are scared because this inept coaching staff and front office can't find a right tackle to save their lives. How many have we gone through since Tait? Four? Five?

So naturally, that fear leads people to want the Chiefs to spend a high pick on a right tackle so we can have the highest chance possible of finally finding one.

Truth is if you have coaches and general managers worth donkey shit, who actually know what they're doing, they can find one in the third round, or hell, just grab one in free agency. Right tackle is not a position you need to solidify for 10 or 15 years...you can afford to do a patch job with it once or twice while your franchise quarterback, left tackle, and wide receiver rape opposing defenses.

Tribal Warfare
11-28-2008, 09:45 PM
I made this post awhile ago. You seem to apply to the logic I used:

I rather have a great offensive line with said possible pieces instead of hoping a 3rd rounder will pan out.

Count Zarth
11-28-2008, 09:46 PM
I rather have a great offensive line with said possible pieces instead of hoping a 3rd rounder will pan out.

That's just it. If you have a great front office and coaching staff you don't "hope" a third-rounder will pan out. You know.

People are still "hoping" Bernard Pollard will pan out because we have a bunch of donkeys picking players.

Tribal Warfare
11-28-2008, 09:49 PM
That's just it. If you have a great front office and coaching staff you don't "hope" a third-rounder will pan out. You know.

What happens if the prospect you hope will fall to you is snatched by another team? Like the Chris Chambers situation when Vermeil was targeting him but Miami snatched him before KC's pick. That's rolling the dice, and I rather have a sure thing, then a project that may or may not develop.

boogblaster
11-28-2008, 09:52 PM
We'd have 5 to 6 more wins this year if we'd kept JA ...

Count Zarth
11-28-2008, 10:40 PM
What happens if the prospect you hope will fall to you is snatched by another team? Like the Chris Chambers situation when Vermeil was targeting him but Miami snatched him before KC's pick. That's rolling the dice, and I rather have a sure thing, then a project that may or may not develop.

That's just it. You're scared.

Carl has you living in fear that if the Chiefs don't draft Oher, the right tackle situation will not get resolved.

Tribal Warfare
11-28-2008, 10:43 PM
That's just it. You're scared.

Scared, Well I don't want to reach for something that could secured earlier with a player who's regarded as BPA when we pick. If that is "scared" fine, I just don't want to reach.

googlegoogle
11-29-2008, 01:00 AM
Orakpo = Tamba Hali.

Not impressed.

88TG88
11-29-2008, 01:07 AM

We have probably the worst FO in football.

I think, if Stafford and Orkapo is gone we should look at the guy from Bama or Oher.

milkman
11-29-2008, 07:13 AM
Because you have a great player at the LT position for years to come. You do not move him, have him learn a new position that he may not be suited for (he's not a dominating run blocking tackle) just so you can draft a guy who MIGHT be as good as Albert at LT.

Debating with Tribal Warfare is like debating with a recording.

He never chnages his argument.
It's always exactly the same as it was 6 months ago.

Most of us can adjust our thinking as the situation changes.
TW can't.

talastan
11-29-2008, 08:59 AM
It's pretty obvious IMO. We either pick up a QB, or DE. The DE position has some pretty strong canidates for top 10 pick, and if by some miracle Detriot actually passes up Stafford, then you pick him. RT and RG can be had in later rounds, or draft a good C and move Niswanger to RG. The right side of the O-line will actually be a lot easier to fill than the left. As for DE, This IMO is where we need to go. Johnson, Orakpo, or Brown (if he declares) all are good prospects to consider. Our _efense needs a pass rusher desperately.

Infidel Goat
11-29-2008, 08:59 AM
BPA.

That is all.

MIAdragon
11-29-2008, 09:05 AM
Orakpo = Tamba Hali.

Not impressed.

ROFL

chiefzilla1501
11-29-2008, 09:17 AM
It's pretty obvious IMO. We either pick up a QB, or DE. The DE position has some pretty strong canidates for top 10 pick, and if by some miracle Detriot actually passes up Stafford, then you pick him. RT and RG can be had in later rounds, or draft a good C and move Niswanger to RG. The right side of the O-line will actually be a lot easier to fill than the left. As for DE, This IMO is where we need to go. Johnson, Orakpo, or Brown (if he declares) all are good prospects to consider. Our _efense needs a pass rusher desperately.

Absolutely not. You only take a QB or a DE that grades out as a top 5 or top 10 pick. It has to be a mix between BPA and need. BPA would have you take a left tackle, which is stupid. Drafting for need would have you take a DE that might not even grade as a top 10 pick.

I will NEVER understand the reservation behind trading down, even if you don't get full value. The best players that fit the Chiefs right now are in the bottom half of the top 10: Orakpo, Maualuga, Laurinitis, Mays. And yet people on this board would rather reach for a 2nd rate prospect or force a LT in the rotation when we already have one?

Trade down. Trade down. Trade down. There has never been a better time. Outside of Stafford, the best players on the board are left tackles and Crabtree, all of which are players the Chiefs don't need. After that, it's probably a CB, which the Chiefs also don't need. If Stafford is gone and assuming no position players absolutely floor the combine, there is no justification whatsoever to stick around. If the Chiefs draft Maualuga or Laurinitis and get an extra second rounder out of it, that is one hell of a play with the first round pick.

talastan
11-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Absolutely not. You only take a QB or a DE that grades out as a top 5 or top 10 pick. It has to be a mix between BPA and need. BPA would have you take a left tackle, which is stupid. Drafting for need would have you take a DE that might not even grade as a top 10 pick.

I will NEVER understand the reservation behind trading down, even if you don't get full value. The best players that fit the Chiefs right now are in the bottom half of the top 10: Orakpo, Maualuga, Laurinitis, Mays. And yet people on this board would rather reach for a 2nd rate prospect or force a LT in the rotation when we already have one?

Trade down. Trade down. Trade down. There has never been a better time. Outside of Stafford, the best players on the board are left tackles and Crabtree, all of which are players the Chiefs don't need. After that, it's probably a CB, which the Chiefs also don't need. If Stafford is gone and assuming no position players absolutely floor the combine, there is no justification whatsoever to stick around. If the Chiefs draft Maualuga or Laurinitis and get an extra second rounder out of it, that is one hell of a play with the first round pick.

Sorry I wasn't specific enough in my post. I believe if the player isn't there then you try and trade down. I agree with you in that respect. I just hate hearing all the "We need to draft Oher, or any other top tackle", when a very talented RT can be had in RD 2-3.

googlegoogle
11-29-2008, 10:14 PM
ROFL

Not fast ??? :harumph:

Tribal Warfare
11-29-2008, 10:18 PM
Sorry I wasn't specific enough in my post. I believe if the player isn't there then you try and trade down. I agree with you in that respect. I just hate hearing all the "We need to draft Oher, or any other top tackle", when a very talented RT can be had in RD 2-3.

if he's the BPA snag him

shaneo69
11-30-2008, 10:03 AM
Orakpo's been at Texas for five years, the last two as starter. Last year he hurt his right knee when getting blocked and missed a few games. This year he hurt his left knee when getting blocked and missed a few games.

Is he going to survive playing against Denver twice a year?

milkman
11-30-2008, 10:07 AM
if he's the BPA snag him

Your and Idiot

KCinNY
11-30-2008, 10:14 AM

Agree with all of this except the part about not needing a guy like Crabtree.

Having two stud WRs is never a bad thing. Ask Arizona.

chiefzilla1501
11-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Agree with all of this except the part about not needing a guy like Crabtree.

I think we have a really good tandem in Bowe and Bradley. I think there could be good value in the later rounds. I'm particularly eyeing the trio at Penn State. I don't know where Butler, Williams, and Norwood will land, but I imagine any one of them could be had in the later rounds.

There are some players that could wow me enough to justify taking, even if they don't fill a pressing need. Crabtree could be one of them. There are a few good young corners who could too. But the reason why I pause at making such moves is that you have an opportunity to land a real impact player at a key position in Maualuga or Laurinaitis and with an early second round pick, you could land a starting guard or center as those players get picked much later in the draft. I think we have the luxury this year of having a very bottom-heavy draft in that there is a wealth of really, really good talent to be had in the bottom of the top 10.

MIAdragon
11-30-2008, 11:55 AM

Worked out great for the Lions, hey while your asking Arizona about that ask them how the last 5 years have been for them......

KCinNY
11-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Worked out great for the Lions, hey while your asking Arizona about that ask them how the last 5 years have been for them......

Better than the Chiefs?

Believe it or not, they've actually won a playoff game since '93.