PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Jeffri Chadiha: Johnson wrestles his biggest foe: himself

DaWolf
11-14-2008, 11:40 AM
Long article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=3694547&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/1111/nfl_g_lj_herm_580.jpg

KANSAS CITY -- Just a few days before the start of training camp in 2006, Kansas City Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson strolled into the team's practice facility and stared at a surprising sight. There was his Pro Bowl running back, Larry Johnson, lifting weights alone. It was a scene that made Peterson smile proudly. While other players were enjoying their remaining time off, his star was preparing for his first full season as the foundation of the Chiefs' offense.

That story speaks to the essence of Johnson -- his determination and work ethic -- and it's one Peterson wished he could savor as he sat in his office last week. Instead, Peterson sank into a cushy leather chair behind a massive oak desk and carefully tried to find the right words to express his disappointment with Johnson, a player whose myriad off-the-field problems now have put his Chiefs career in jeopardy. Peterson talked about all the conversations he's had with Johnson, all the times he'd stood by Johnson when the public scrutinized him and the bond Peterson had forged with the running back in the process.

What Peterson didn't have to say was obvious: He was taking Johnson's current plight personally.

"I can honestly say that there is nobody in this city who has supported Larry as much as I have," Peterson said. "And right now it feels like one of your children has failed you. But my responsibility isn't just to Larry Johnson. It's to this entire team and the Hunt family [the Chiefs owners]. Hopefully, this has all been a wake-up call for him."

The implications in Peterson's words shouldn't be lost on anybody. Johnson, a sixth-year veteran who turns 29 on Nov. 19, clearly has reached a crossroads in Kansas City. He rejoined the Chiefs this week after serving a one-game suspension for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy, but his problems are far from over. In fact, they have the potential to grow increasingly worse over the next few months.

For one, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has reserved the right to punish Johnson again if he is convicted of the two unrelated charges he's currently facing, both for simple assault. Johnson also has to find a way to redeem himself with his team after a series of rules violations -- including being late to meetings as well as flights for games at New England and Carolina -- led to his deactivation for three straight weeks prior to the league's suspension. The likelihood of his remaining with the Chiefs beyond this season also remains very much in doubt. That suspension triggered a conduct clause in the five-year contract extension Johnson signed in August 2007, one that allows the Chiefs to void the $3.75 million he is guaranteed next season. Peterson admits that exercising that option "is a possibility."

Rest of article at the link...

RustShack
11-14-2008, 12:03 PM
Larry is going to shut all the haters mouths after this game and to finish the year. LJ will retire a Chief!

Demonpenz
11-14-2008, 12:08 PM
it's physically impossible to wrestle yourself

Hydrae
11-14-2008, 12:08 PM
I think Larry is going to like the spread offense. Less people in the box on any given play, watch him blow the fuck up the next few weeks.

Brock
11-14-2008, 12:11 PM
He's auditioning for his job over the next few weeks. should be interesting.

Demonpenz
11-14-2008, 12:11 PM
I think Larry is going to like the spread offense. Less people in the box on any given play, watch him blow the **** up the next few weeks.

he is going to be in tight formations they will put in skat back when going spread

bowener
11-14-2008, 12:41 PM
"The thing about Larry is that he's great if you're dealing with him one-on-one," said the ex-teammate. "He's got good values and he's got a big heart. But where Larry has an issue is in the perception that comes with being a black guy who grew up middle-class. I always thought Larry was trying to prove himself to the guys who grew up worse off than him, that he was a street kid who knew about that life."My best friend went through, and still sort of is going through, a similar episode. He grew up with a very caring and religious family in the middle to upper middle class in one of the more white suburbs of KCMO. After graduating HS and going to a smaller mostly white college where I met him he slowly changed at first. I didn't notice it at first really, just a few changes in wardrobe, but then it went to full on thug once he dropped out of college. I feel bad for the guy because looking back he was always the "token" black guy, or at least some ass at a party would point him out and say that. None of us saw him that way, but I think he was afraid of being seen that way, like it meant he wasnt proud of his race. So when he moved back to KC he hung with the wrong crowd and got into some trouble and just kept wanting to prove he was like them, even though he didnt grow up like them. Something I dont have to deal with internally being a white kid from a rural lower middle class town.

I can only imagine what it is like to feel that way, and then throw millions of dollars at the problem and have external expectations on you to buy cars befitting of a 'gangsta', and be 'thug' enough at parties... etc. Larry seems like the awkward kid who is smart as hell and doesnt want to be seen as the smart kid, or the art kid. That is more in line with my life. Great at drawing and great at school, but I wanted to be seen as an athlete so I played all sports even though I really didnt enjoy it. I was good at sports, probably would have been really good had I liked them or gone to a large school and played only football or something, but I didnt. I am sticking it through college having no idea of what I want out of life, but I am happy learning and talking about what I am learning. So maybe LJ needs to care 2 shits about what others think and befriend some like minded people to hang out with and grow up.

edit: I just looked at his college stats.... jesus christ! I knew he only got to play a short period of his career and kicked some ass, but he exploded. Stats (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Johnson_%28football%29)

bowener
11-14-2008, 12:42 PM

I dont know. I have seen some pretty drunk or pretty high people do what appears to be wrestling with themselves.... it usually ends with vomit all over the place and somebody crying.

Demonpenz
11-14-2008, 12:43 PM
yep

Que Card QB
11-14-2008, 01:12 PM
Nice piece.

Pestilence
11-14-2008, 01:15 PM
LJ has some things that he can do right now. He needs to go out there and play football, keep his mouth shut.....and sprint off the field when his replacement comes in. I don't want to see any moping around or bitching because he only got 15-20 carries.

talastan
11-14-2008, 02:09 PM
it's physically impossible to wrestle yourself and not look like an @ss!

FYP

beach tribe
11-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Wow, I didn't know he had a behavior clause in his contract. This could cost him some buh.

beach tribe
11-14-2008, 02:31 PM
I think this may be what Larry needed to put that chip back on his shoulder. He lost it when he lost the doubters. Watch out.

Put your life back together Larry. Everybody deserves a second chance. It's not what you did, it's what you do, and what you're going to do. I've never liked Larry that much. I remember reading an article about him, before he ever got to play extensively, and said to myself, this guy is a punk. With that said, I still think he can put it together, and be a part of this team when we turn it around. His body had not taken much of a pounding in the last couple years, and I bet he's still got a few years left in the tank.

DaWolf
11-14-2008, 07:28 PM
I think this may be what Larry needed to put that chip back on his shoulder. He lost it when he lost the doubters. Watch out.

Put your life back together Larry. Everybody deserves a second chance. It's not what you did, it's what you do, and what you're going to do. I've never liked Larry that much. I remember reading an article about him, before he ever got to play extensively, and said to myself, this guy is a punk. With that said, I still think he can put it together, and be a part of this team when we turn it around. His body had not taken much of a pounding in the last couple years, and I bet he's still got a few years left in the tank.
If he can put it together, we'll be a much better team cause he has serious talent. But I wouldn't hold my breath. He'll probably end up picking the pieces somewhere else...

MichaelH
11-14-2008, 07:34 PM
First off, he might not be so angry if his barber actually gave him a decent haircut.

JuicesFlowing
11-14-2008, 07:39 PM
If someone could photoshop LJ's haircut onto Herm's head in that picture, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Psyko Tek
11-14-2008, 08:50 PM
wtf does his hair say?

y2 something?

that maybe one of the strangest questions I've ever asked

jspchief
11-14-2008, 08:57 PM

I'm tired of this "running angry" bullshit. He's a highly paid professional. He shouldn't need his psyche stroked a certain way to go out and give 100%.

RJ
11-14-2008, 09:01 PM

People are always telling me to go fuck myself.

Is that possible?

Darth CarlSatan
11-14-2008, 09:02 PM

ROFLROFLROFL Astute Observation Rep Added!

the Talking Can
11-14-2008, 09:10 PM
amazing how no one will discuss the 99.9% chance that LJ is an alcoholic....

his problems aren't mysterious AT ALL...that is a romanticizing ficiton, a lie by people who should know better, and probably do know better but are afraid to say so for whatever reason of personal or professional cowardice...

LJ gets in trouble when he is drunk. LJ can't control himself when he drinks, and he most likely can't control his drinking.

Darth CarlSatan
11-14-2008, 09:16 PM
First off, he might not be so angry if his barber actually gave him a decent haircut.

ROFL

One of the greatest moments in film history, and man does it apply to your post!

0:28 Seconds from the beginning; WORD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEnCupB7a5M

Johnny Vegas
11-14-2008, 09:45 PM
amazing how no one will discuss the 99.9% chance that LJ is an alcoholic....

his problems aren't mysterious AT ALL...that is a romanticizing ficiton, a lie by people who should know better, and probably do know better but are afraid to say so for whatever reason of personal or professional cowardice...

LJ gets in trouble when he is drunk. LJ can't control himself when he drinks, and he most likely can't control his drinking.

well dang! that is amazing!