PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Sports Illustrated catching Thigpen fever

SCTrojan
11-14-2008, 06:18 PM
Didn't see this posted - interesting article from Sports Illustrated.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/bucky_brooks/11/14/buzz/index.html?eref=T1

Quick. Name the hottest young quarterback in the league.

Matt Ryan? No. Joe Flacco? Nope. Brett Favre? Funny.

The answer very well might be Tyler Thigpen. Who? The unheralded, second-year quarterback from Coastal Carolina has been on fire since taking over the starting job in Kansas City, and league observers have been effusive in their praise of the Chiefs' budding star.

"He has been playing really well," said an AFC scout. "They have to be impressed with the way he has stepped up his game."

Thigpen, the Vikings' seventh-round pick in 2007, has completed 66 of 102 passes (64.7 percent) for 710 yards with six touchdowns and no interceptions in his last three starts. His passer rating of 104.6 during that span ranks as the league's third-best, and only Peyton Manning has tossed more touchdowns (7) in the past three games. Additionally, Thigpen has thrown 124 consecutive passes without an interception and hasn't turned the ball over in his last three starts.

With Thigpen playing exceptionally well, the Chiefs' sagging offense has shown signs of life. In the past three games (each lost in the waning minutes), the offense averaged 23.3 points, 351.0 total yards, including 238 yards passing. Compared to the Chiefs' first six games, the offense has improved by more than 10 points a game and over 93 yards a game in total offense.

So why did it take Kansas City so long to put him in the lineup?

The most logical answer is the presence of Brodie Croyle. The Chiefs' second-round pick in 2006 was expected to become the franchise quarterback, so the team gave him every opportunity to prove it. But Croyle was injured in four of his eight career starts (all loses) and was done for this season in mid-October when he sprained his right knee.

Thigpen's sudden emergence has some observers viewing the former cast-off as a franchise-caliber quarterback, and the team appears to building the offense around his strengths.

Thigpen, who starred in a spread offense at Coastal Carolina, has benefited from offensive coordinator Chan Gailey incorporating some familiar spread-like concepts into the game plan. Using their "Ace" personnel packages (one back, two tight ends and two wide receivers), the Chiefs have been showing a four-receiver look with Tony Gonzalez, Dwayne Bowe and Mark Bradley lined up at a variety of spots.

The clever use of run-heavy personnel prevents defenses from substituting extra backs to match up with the Chiefs' open formations. With the linebackers and safeties forced to defend Bradley, Bowe and Gonzalez in space, Thigpen has picked apart coverage with quick rhythm throws. In addition, the spread formation has made it easier for him to identify potential blitzes, enabling him to counter by attacking the vulnerable spots in the defense.

"It just helps the young guy when he can spread the field out," Thigpen said earlier in the season. "Not necessarily a young guy, but any quarterback, it just helps when you can spread the defense out and you can see where the blitz is coming from."

Gailey has also helped his star pupil by increasing the use of their "Red Ball" offense in recent weeks. "Red Ball", the Chiefs' version of the no-huddle, is used to quicken the pace and keep defenses in simpler looks. Defensive coordinators are reluctant to aggressively come after the quarterback with a number of exotic blitzes when the game is moving at a frenetic pace. Thus, Thigpen has been able to attack while working in rhythm, and the results have been so impressive that the Chiefs are expanding their offense to feature more of the no-huddle, spread offense.

"I imagine we will broaden the playbook so we are at the point where everyone can just walk to the line and not huddle," Thigpen said on the team's Web site.

Thigpen's emergence has finally given the team a playmaker at quarterback and Gailey the freedom to open up his playbook. The Chiefs have spent the past two seasons trying to find a solution to their quarterback problem, but it appears an unheralded player from a little known school might just be the answer.

Rain Man
11-14-2008, 06:22 PM
This may have caused my second Chiefs-related smile in the past 14 months or so.

Mr. Arrowhead
11-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Watch ya gonna do when the Thigster and all his thiggy maniacs come running wild on you!

Dartgod
11-14-2008, 06:27 PM
This shit scares me. There's no way the Chiefs are lucky enough to have a franchise QB fall into their lap. None.

Smed1065
11-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Print em

Ebolapox
11-14-2008, 06:33 PM
wow, croyle was our second round pick? no wonder he sucks. it's cause we picked him in the second round rather than the third.

jesus. get your facts right, SI!

Ebolapox
11-14-2008, 06:33 PM
This shit scares me. There's no way the Chiefs are lucky enough to have a franchise QB fall into their lap. None.

yep. until he leads us to a super bowl, there's no way I'll believe it.

Mr. Laz
11-14-2008, 06:34 PM
gonna jinx this shit ..... i wish everyone would just shut up

Thigpen = invisible man

SCTrojan

Completely agree.

CrazyPhuD
We are fucked now....thiggy is going to get hit pollard tripping into him in warmups and blow out his knee.

Smed1065
11-14-2008, 06:36 PM
gonna jinx this shit ..... i wish everyone would just shut up

Thigpen = invisible man

This! and SI jinx. :cuss:

Pablo
11-14-2008, 06:37 PM
Thigpen can has cheezeburger.

chiefs1111
11-14-2008, 07:36 PM
well that does it,Thigpen will be jinxed now....

JuicesFlowing
11-14-2008, 07:36 PM
If skeletons and phone booths work, stay with it!

The Bad Guy
11-14-2008, 07:43 PM
It's incredible how one of our coaches (Gailey) can tailor the scheme to match the strengths of our players, while our other coach likes to use the round hole, square peg approach and sit there with his hands on his balls wondering why in 5 years that his defense still sucks as bad as the first day he came back.

sedated
11-14-2008, 07:43 PM
Using their "Ace" personnel packages (one back, two tight ends and two wide receivers), the Chiefs have been showing a four-receiver look with Tony Gonzalez, Dwayne Bowe and Mark Bradley lined up at a variety of spots.

The clever use of run-heavy personnel prevents defenses from substituting extra backs to match up with the Chiefs' open formations.

looks like Gailey has finally accomplished what we always heard rumors about what Saunders would do with bigfoot.

Tuckdaddy
11-14-2008, 07:44 PM
THE THIGSTER IS MORE POWEFUL THAN THE CURSE! He will not become the next SI victim.

I also thought the same of Chase Daniels but that didn't turn out so good..

SPATCH
11-14-2008, 07:53 PM
great...... thiggy is guaranteed at least two picks this week. probably three. and i'm being dead serious...

fuckin SI

Dartgod
11-14-2008, 07:54 PM
Relax, he's not on the cover.

Hydrae
11-14-2008, 07:59 PM
wow, croyle was our second round pick? no wonder he sucks. it's cause we picked him in the second round rather than the third.

jesus. get your facts right, SI!

That and the next line where it calls him a cast off. I believe we snatched him of the Vikings practice squad which means he was never "cast off."

I try to expect more from national publications but I am about to just give up.

Smed1065
11-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Relax, he's not on the cover.

I doubt it takes the "cover" for a Chief? I just know when national media gets involved, its not usually good for us.

jspchief
11-14-2008, 08:11 PM
http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/1627/0902largewb7.th.jpg (http://img240.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0902largewb7.jpg)http://img240.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif (http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php)

the Talking Can
11-14-2008, 08:31 PM
This may have caused my second Chiefs-related smile in the past 14 months or so.

i actually had the same response...

imagine, competent adults (thigpen and gailey) discussing a sophisticated offense that tries to maximize the QBs strengths.....i wonder if herm knows about it?

the Talking Can
11-14-2008, 08:33 PM
So why did it take Kansas City so long to put him in the lineup?

The most logical answer is the presence of Brodie Croyle.

the real answer is Damon Huard

if Huard hadn't been injured/quit, Herm would still be playing him and the True Fans would still be here cheering for him...fact

jspchief
11-14-2008, 08:37 PM
the real answer is Damon Huard

if Huard hadn't been injured/quit, Herm would still be playing him and the True Fans would still be here cheering for him...factSame could be said for Bledsoe in New England.

I'm not defending Herm, but you can hardly blame any coach for not being in a hurry to toss a 7th round QB into the mix behind an O-line like ours. And don't forget he got some early playing time and looked like garbage.

Priest4Prez
11-14-2008, 08:37 PM
And what happens with larry johnson back in the lineup...

Priest4Prez
11-14-2008, 08:38 PM
and thigpen hasn't won a game yet....

J Diddy
11-14-2008, 08:41 PM
and thigpen hasn't won a game yet....

he hasn't lost the last 3

that's all on the d

the Talking Can
11-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Same could be said for Bledsoe in New England.

I'm not defending Herm, but you can hardly blame any coach for not being in a hurry to toss a 7th round QB into the mix behind an O-line like ours. And don't forget he got some early playing time and looked like garbage.

no, once croyle was injured there was absolutely no reason to play Huard (there has never been any reason to play him, ever)....the only profitable thing was to play thigpen and let him learn....

Herm gave him one game and pulled the plug, the True Fans never stopped crying for Huard....

the Bledsoe situation has nothing to do with this, actually

Deberg_1990
11-14-2008, 08:44 PM

He didnt just fall into their laps. Carl and his scouts did extensive research on Thiggy while he was playing in Minnesota. :)

Priest4Prez
11-14-2008, 08:56 PM
he hasn't lost the last 3

that's all on the d

Not true. The defense put the offense in positon to win in those three games. Third down conversions were what plagued the chiefs. that is all on the offense

J Diddy
11-14-2008, 09:03 PM
Not true. The defense put the offense in positon to win in those three games. Third down conversions were what plagued the chiefs. that is all on the offense

The fact that the d couldn't hold brett favre (yes they should have let thiggy try to win the game, but I couldn't blame them because up until this game thiggy sucked mad cow balls), the d gave up a shit ton of yards and points after they were spotted a good lead against tampa, and then the d all got hurt against san diego

Priest4Prez
11-14-2008, 09:06 PM
The fact that the d couldn't hold brett favre (yes they should have let thiggy try to win the game, but I couldn't blame them because up until this game thiggy sucked mad cow balls), the d gave up a shit ton of yards and points after they were spotted a good lead against tampa, and then the d all got hurt against san diego

I love Thiggy, but he hasn't proven himself yet. He has to finish the game first.

SNR
11-14-2008, 09:07 PM
And what happens with larry johnson back in the lineup...Well, now that we have a "real" RB in the lineup, we run up the butt 3 consecutive plays and punt. That way we take time off the clock and wear out the opposing defense. If we can allow our defense to really play well and score the occasional field goal every other drive, we'll be good to go in the 4th quarter with a run-only offense where we go 18 plays 90 yards for a 20-yard field goal. The entire drive will take 11 minutes off the clock and leave virtually no time for the other team to put together a come back win.

It's bullet proof, really. I mean, just look at what happened when we employed this offense in the 4th quarters against Tampa and the Jets.

Oh, wait. Nevermind. Fuck Herm.

boogblaster
11-14-2008, 09:15 PM
In all truth Thiggy has done his job ... Having LJ back, if he'll play real-football, gives us a advantage with a late game lead ...

Dartgod
11-14-2008, 09:16 PM
He didnt just fall into their laps. Carl and his scouts did extensive research on Thiggy while he was playing in Minnesota. :)
Time to break out the Lexicon.

ROYC75
11-14-2008, 09:19 PM
Spreading the defense out and letting LJ run with it sounds good to me, should make the offense harder to stop.

googlegoogle
11-14-2008, 09:20 PM
time to throw isn't mentioned in the article.

Oline is looking better.

Chiefs Pantalones
11-14-2008, 09:26 PM
This is a good story.

But the real story is Herm Edwards letting go of his up the butt offensive approach. I wanna know why he has let that go. That's the real story.

KChiefs1
11-14-2008, 09:29 PM

shit like this only happens to the Cowboys & Patriots.:doh!:

Guru
11-14-2008, 11:21 PM

jesus. get your facts right, SI!Glad I wasn't the only one to catch that and go WTF.

Guru
11-14-2008, 11:22 PM
This! and SI jinx. :cuss:

Get ready for 3 INTs and 6 points this week. :D

Cornstock
11-14-2008, 11:26 PM
What is happening to the media with not checking their facts? SI doesnt know what round Brodie Croyle was drafted in and Eileen Weir doesnt even watch football to know how many interceptions Thiggy has thrown the last 3 weeks.