PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Hypothetical: Should we trade Thigpen?

notorious
11-14-2008, 09:31 PM
Should we Trade our beloved Thiggy? If he keeps his play up he will be worth quite a bit on the market. If we are offered something really enticing from another team, should we take it?

Anderson set the world on fire for Cleveland, only to struggle after teams got enough tape to plan for him (and his receivers started dropping balls, tougher competition, etc.)

Memories of Scott Mitchell dance in my head. The Pats are going to "Mitchell" Cassel come this off-season.

Could he be OUR Joe Montana/Tom Brady/Peyton Manning?!

Please do not take this as my opinion going one way or the other, I posted this because the subject will definately come up later in the season.

Discuss.

jspchief
11-14-2008, 09:35 PM
The rising hype certainly brought thoughts of Derek Anderson into my head.

But I'm guessing we have Thigpen under contract for more than just this season. Let him play out the year and show us more next year, and if he deserves it then we can look at paying him accordingly.

Short Leash Hootie
11-14-2008, 09:35 PM
the difference being the Browns have Quinn...we have Thigpen and nothing else.

J Diddy
11-14-2008, 09:37 PM
Sounds like the Royals plan for success for the better part of the last decade. Get lucky on a guy then trade him.

Hell no, we shouldn't trade him, worse case scenario he's a good backup. Best case scenario, he's a quality starter.

Joe Montana, brady, manning never.

J Diddy
the difference being the Browns have Quinn...we have Thigpen and nothing else.

Bullshit

WE HAS Quinn Gray.

Donger
I'm not very knowledgeable about football, but who exactly would the Chiefs play in the position if they traded Thigpen? Isn't he there out of necessity?

sedated
11-14-2008, 09:40 PM
we need a QB. a QB fell in our lap.

I'm gonna go with 'no'.

is sticking with thigpen really any more risky than drafting a QB?

(i'm not saying we shouldn't draft a QB)

kstater
11-14-2008, 09:40 PM
I'm not very knowledgeable about football, but who exactly would the Chiefs play in the position if they traded Thigpen? Isn't he there out of necessity?

Well, Bradley is 1 for 1 with a TD pass.

notorious
11-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Excellent points so far everyone. Keep them coming!

Psyko Tek
11-14-2008, 09:42 PM
when you get lucky, don't fuck with trying to get more something outa your nothing

jspchief
11-14-2008, 09:43 PM
I'm not very knowledgeable about football, but who exactly would the Chiefs play in the position if they traded Thigpen? Isn't he there out of necessity?I believe he's referring to the end of the season.

The idea being, trade him while his stock is high. There's a laundry list of QBs that came off the bench to burn up a partial season, only to flame out when given a permanent starting job. Rob Johnson, anyone?

The difference is, we have no one else, and we probably don't have to make a decision on moving him unless he's a FA next year. Personally, I'd rather keep him and risk a flameout, then let him go and curse it for years to come while we continue searching for a starting QB.

PhillyChiefFan
11-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Sounds like the Royals plan for success for the better part of the last decade. Get lucky on a guy then trade him.

Hell no, we shouldn't trade him, worse case scenario he's a good backup. Best case scenario, he's a quality starter.

This. :clap:

El Pendejo
11-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Thigpen for Cutler plus a first in '09 and a third '10?

notorious
11-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Are you all telling me that for the FIRST TIME in the history of CP, everyone agrees?!?!?!?!?

Lets spice it up. We are offered two 1st rounders and two 2nds. What do you do? (Pretty unrealistic, but what the hell!)

jspchief
11-14-2008, 09:52 PM
you should stop trying to emcee your thread.

Donger
11-14-2008, 09:54 PM
The Chiefs trade him.

He ends up starting somewhere else.

He grows into a franchise QB.

He stomps Chiefs during their next playoff game.

Goes on to lead his game to SB victory.

Perhaps we should just kill him now?

notorious
11-14-2008, 09:55 PM
you should stop trying to emcee your thread.

LOL, I'm sorry. I am merely an observer from here on out.

el borracho
11-14-2008, 10:01 PM
The only thing that would make me think twice is the fact that we have absolutely no one else which means we would have to acquire two legit QBs next offseason but, yeah, I would trade him for a 1st if anyone were crazy enough to offer it.

sportsman1
11-14-2008, 10:03 PM
We Should trade him to the Royals.

El Pendejo
11-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Are you all telling me that for the FIRST TIME in the history of CP, everyone agrees?!?!?!?!?

Lets spice it up. We are offered two 1st rounders and two 2nds. What do you do? (Pretty unrealistic, but what the hell!)

Nonsense. Anything less than eight first rounders in a row...and you're getting jobbed. Thigpen has after all...almost won a couple of games...and that means something.

CHENZ A!
11-14-2008, 10:20 PM
WE OWE IT TO HIM TO TRADE HIM! THIGGY DESERVES A RING! AND TONY! AND GANNON!

luv
11-14-2008, 10:36 PM
Why would you even consider? How did the thought even enter your head? Oh yeah. People always seem to think we should trade our good players.

El Pendejo
11-15-2008, 12:27 AM
Why would you even consider? How did the thought even enter your head? Oh yeah. People always seem to think we should trade our good players.

So you're saying that Thigpen is more valuable than thirty-seven first round picks...in a row?

Tribal Warfare
11-15-2008, 12:30 AM
Should we Trade our beloved Thiggy? If he keeps his play up he will be worth quite a bit on the market. If we are offered something really enticing from another team, should we take it?

Anderson set the world on fire for Cleveland, only to struggle after teams got enough tape to plan for him (and his receivers started dropping balls, tougher competition, etc.)

Memories of Scott Mitchell dance in my head. The Pats are going to "Mitchell" Cassel come this off-season.

Could he be OUR Joe Montana/Tom Brady/Peyton Manning?!

Please do not take this as my opinion going one way or the other, I posted this because the subject will definately come up later in the season.

Discuss.

If someone is stupid enough to offer their soul, and shells out a 1st rounder( buy low, sell high). I'd pull the trigger no question

Rain Man
11-15-2008, 12:37 AM
I think several people around here want to start younger players. Maybe ditch Thigpen and get someone who's 20 instead of 23.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-15-2008, 02:31 AM
You can never have too many good quarterbacks. Unless he totally sucks ass over the rest of the season and the PS, there is no reason why he shouldn't be here through 2010 (to at least serve as a bridge and then backup to a true franchise guy.)

MikeMaslowski
11-15-2008, 06:22 AM
The Chiefs trade him.

He ends up starting somewhere else.

He grows into a franchise QB.

He stomps Chiefs during their next playoff game.

Goes on to lead his game to SB victory.

Perhaps we should just kill him now?

You had me until you got here.... Playoff? What is that?

JuicesFlowing
11-15-2008, 07:19 AM
We should draft a QB and let Thigpen play for the starting job if we draft a QB the first day.

MTG#10
11-15-2008, 07:52 AM
Assuming he continues to play well for the rest of the season, I would trade him for a low 1st rounder, like #1-#10 but thats it.

Short Leash Hootie
11-15-2008, 07:56 AM
Assuming he continues to play well for the rest of the season, I would trade him for a low 1st rounder, like #1-#10 but thats it.

I don't know how logical it would be for us to pay two unproven rookies $30M+ guaranteed...Thigpen is a low risk, high reward kind of guy because he's signed through 2010 and makes the league minimum.

Short Leash Hootie
11-15-2008, 07:59 AM
Ideally Thigpen continues his stellar play, we draft another QB in round 3 or round 4, cut Huard and have rookie QB and Croyle battle it out for the backup job in 2009.

Another stellar draft in 2009 that doesn't feature a QB in the top 5 (assuming we draft in the top 5, I bet we end up 4-12 and draft 7th) and we can compete as soon as next year (assuming our offense maintains their current consistency and aggressiveness)...

Right now it's the defense, and the defense is a much easier fix than the offense...we're a Jared Allen away from being an average defense rather than a horrendous defense, a la last year.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-15-2008, 08:06 AM

ROFL

notorious
11-15-2008, 08:21 AM
I don't know how logical it would be for us to pay two unproven rookies $30M+ guaranteed...Thigpen is a low risk, high reward kind of guy because he's signed through 2010 and makes the league minimum.

I agree with this 100%.

Cheap quality backup. But, if he ends up being The One, what would be better than getting a very young QB, actually developing him, and watch him gut our most hated rivals for the next 10 years?

I am hoping for the slim chance that we fell into a QB that our rivals will despise, ala Horseface.

Short Leash Hootie
11-15-2008, 08:24 AM
like I said, the only reason KC fans aren't ready to anoint Tyler Thigpen is because he's Tyler Thigpen, 7th round project from Coastal Carolina...

If he was Tyler Thigpen, 1st round pick from BCS school, these past three starts would be enough for Chiefs fans to crown him four times over.

patteeu
11-15-2008, 09:01 AM
My answer is pretty much "No". But...

If the offer was good enough (like a decent 1st round pick) AND if we had draft position to pick a guy in this draft that our personnel experts were convinced could be a franchise QB (Stafford?) then I'd be OK with a trade. Since this is almost certainly not the case though, I'm sticking with "No".

MTG#10
11-15-2008, 10:11 AM
ROFL
Sorry, Im still not completely sold on him. I hope he proves me wrong though.

Rausch
11-15-2008, 10:19 AM
He's dirt cheap, young, good attitude, and the perfect b/u QB for this team right now.

Trade Croyle for a 7th and some Arby's....

DaFace
11-15-2008, 10:20 AM
No. (Should I bother reading the rest of this thread?)

Rausch
11-15-2008, 10:21 AM
We should draft a QB and let Thigpen play for the starting job if we draft a QB the first day.

Or, draft a QB, let Thigpen begin the season as the named starter and let the rookie come along slowly. If Thigpen gets hurt or sucks it up then we play the rookie under no pressure at all...

Brock
11-15-2008, 10:24 AM
nuthooks

TEX
11-15-2008, 10:31 AM
The rising hype certainly brought thoughts of Derek Anderson into my head.

But I'm guessing we have Thigpen under contract for more than just this season. Let him play out the year and show us more next year, and if he deserves it then we can look at paying him accordingly.

Yep. No way I trade the best young QB prospect we have had in 20 years. Thiggy has played better than Croyle ever did. He's shown the ability to bounce back from bad outings proving that he can learn and is mentally tough. He deserves a shot.

I'd continue to build through the draft and concentrate on other positions and look for a proven back-up QB next season. Just my take.

TEX
11-15-2008, 10:33 AM
like I said, the only reason KC fans aren't ready to anoint Tyler Thigpen is because he's Tyler Thigpen, 7th round project from Coastal Carolina...

If he was Tyler Thigpen, 1st round pick from BCS school, these past three starts would be enough for Chiefs fans to crown him four times over.

:clap: You nailed it!

StcChief
11-15-2008, 11:14 AM
I think several people around here want to start younger players. Maybe ditch Thigpen and get someone who's 20 instead of 23.again. Rainman nails the collective intelligence of CP.:)

chiefsngop
11-15-2008, 11:40 AM

Spot on.

Even if Thiggy doesn't turn out to be the QBOTF, he is starting to prove he could, at the least, be a quality backup.

We're not going to be able to draft 2 quality QB's with no bust potential. And this team needs far too much to use 2 picks on the one position anyway.

Keep Thigpen and keep workin like hell to develop him, then draft a solid QB, or trade for one, or sign a free agent solid QB. This provides for actual competition in camp and preseason, and also provides depth at the QB position.

Rather it be at QB, RB, etc. , the Chiefs have to stay the course of getting away from just one injury having the ability to ruin a season.

chiefsngop
11-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Yep. No way I trade the best young QB prospect we have had in 20 years. Thiggy has played better than Croyle ever did. He's shown the ability to bounce back from bad outings proving that he can learn and is mentally tough. He deserves a shot.

I'd continue to build through the draft and concentrate on other positions and look for a proven back-up QB next season. Just my take.

I totally agree with your first paragraph, but disagree with the second.

If Thigpen does turn out to be the QBOTF, you have to take into account the possibility of him getting hurt or turning into a bust later. We Gotta have a real backup for him.

And if we are a real contender in 2 seasons, whoever is backing up Thigpen needs to have been in our system for at least one season prior. That way, if we really are contending, and Thiggy goes down, we can still chase playoff wins or bigger with the 2nd string guy coming in.

TEX
11-15-2008, 01:31 PM
I totally agree with your first paragraph, but disagree with the second.

If Thigpen does turn out to be the QBOTF, you have to take into account the possibility of him getting hurt or turning into a bust later. We Gotta have a real backup for him.

And if we are a real contender in 2 seasons, whoever is backing up Thigpen needs to have been in our system for at least one season prior. That way, if we really are contending, and Thiggy goes down, we can still chase playoff wins or bigger with the 2nd string guy coming in.

Disagree with my second statement? Why? I said get "proven" back up. My reasoning was /is just as you described.

chiefsngop
11-15-2008, 02:08 PM

When you say

"build through the draft and concentrate on other positions and look for a bu QB next season"

I was taking that as get other positions in the '09 draft & offseason, and your reference to "next season" as being the 2010 draft & offseason as the time to get a 2nd QB.

IMO we should allocate a 2nd qb in this upcoming draft or offseason. So he can develop in '09 and be ready to go in '10 in case we need him.

But if you meant we should go after a QB in this upcoming draft or offseason, well...... I agree with your whole damn post then.

PastorMikH
11-15-2008, 02:16 PM
I think we are getting a little carried away with trying to stock up on draft picks.

First, as much as everyone has wanted to develop a QB, as soon as it looks like we have a prospect that actually COULD become that QB we want to trade him for draft picks.

Secondly, as much as I like Thigpen, he's had 3 good starts with no wins, what makes anyone think we could get someone to give up first day draft picks for him?

Bad teams with old players stockpile picks in hopes of getting better. Teams that keep trading away players as soon as they develop for more draft picks stay bad.