PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Paul Rudd hosting SNL tonight

DJJasonp
11-15-2008, 10:34 AM
I had some classes with Paul in high school and got to see a preview of what was to come - very talented even way back then...

I think he's a perfect choice to host as his type of humor and character-acting skills are perfect for sketch comedy...

But dammit...my direct tv doesnt get installed until Sunday morning :mad:.... so please, someone come back and fill me in on how it went (I'll try to catch it on the internet afterwards).

The Bad Guy
11-15-2008, 11:10 AM
He's an incredibly talented actor. Funny as hell.

I can't imagine the amount of tail he got back in HS.

milkman
11-15-2008, 11:23 AM
What has Pual Rudd done?

I'm assuming he's the guy on the right in your sig, BD.

I recognize the face, but can't recall anything I've actually seen him in.

The Bad Guy
11-15-2008, 11:25 AM
What has Pual Rudd done?

He's been in a lot of comedies recently. 40 year old virgin, Knocked up, Anchorman.

Really underrated funny actor.

DJJasonp
11-15-2008, 11:26 AM
What has Pual Rudd done?

Anchorman (Brian Fantana)
Knocked Up
New movie out called Role Models
Object of my affection
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Phoebe's love interest in Friends
40 yr old virgin

Bunch of other indie comedies, etc.

Donger
11-15-2008, 11:29 AM
He was fabulous in Clueless, too.

SPATCH
11-15-2008, 11:29 AM
he is, indeed, the shiznit

Baby Lee
11-15-2008, 11:30 AM
And a Chiefs fan, people, don't bury the lead!!!

milkman
11-15-2008, 11:30 AM
So he's done a lot of stuff I've never seen, nor had any desire to see.

DJJasonp
11-15-2008, 11:32 AM

I think he might have been on the Oxygen channel once :)

milkman
11-15-2008, 11:33 AM
I think he might have been on the Oxygen channel once :)

Again, something I've never seen.

Phobia
11-15-2008, 11:33 AM
I had some classes with Paul in high school and got to see a preview of what was to come - very talented even way back then...

I think he's a perfect choice to host as his type of humor and character-acting skills are perfect for sketch comedy...

But dammit...my direct tv doesnt get installed until Sunday morning :mad:.... so please, someone come back and fill me in on how it went (I'll try to catch it on the internet afterwards).

You do realize you can stick a coathanger in the back of your TV and get SNL OTA, right?

DJJasonp
11-15-2008, 11:40 AM
Again, something I've never seen.

I was just messing with ya.... Oxygen channel is a women's programming channel! :)

DJJasonp
11-15-2008, 11:40 AM
You do realize you can stick a coathanger in the back of your TV and get SNL OTA, right?

I'm working on it....

Baby Lee
11-15-2008, 11:41 AM

Well considering you don't watch anyf@ckingthing, . . .

No, no, no you're right. He doesn't play football or host a fishing show, and he didn't die in the Civil War, he sucks.

Reaper16
11-15-2008, 11:43 AM

No, no, no you're right. He doesn't play football or host a fishing show, and he didn't die in the Civil War, he sucks.
LMAO

Sure-Oz
11-15-2008, 11:43 AM
He is pretty hilarious

Baby Lee
11-15-2008, 11:47 AM
I'm working on it....

All of the sudden, I'm sad that he's probably not working around a tube telly.

Baaazzzapppp!!!!!

SPATCH
11-15-2008, 11:47 AM
I was just messing with ya.... Oxygen channel is a women's programming channel! :)

i went to a Lutheran high school, and in one of my religion courses they showed a video that was about the dangers of teen drinking.... it looked like it was done around '94 or '95. it was about this student who started drinking and he totally changed.... BUUUTTT, by using the power of prayer, the good lord was able to cure him of his drinking problems....... and that man, was none other than Paul Rudd.

milkman
11-15-2008, 11:50 AM

I don't watch fishing shows.

I did watch "The Andy Griffith Show" and they opened with Andy and Opie carrying fishing rods.

Baby Lee
11-15-2008, 12:06 PM
AVC: So, are you aware of the "Frat Pack" term?

PR: Uh, I am aware of it.

AVC: Because you're a friend of the people who are supposedly part of it.

PR: I don't know if I'm so much in the… When I hear of the Frat Pack, I think of, like, Ben Stiller, Will Ferrell, Owen Wilson, and Vince Vaughn, I guess… And then I think of the Brat Pack, and I think of Judd Nelson and Emilio Estevez, which in turn makes me think of the Rat Pack, and then I go to, like, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Sammy Davis Jr. And then that makes me think of the Lat Pack, which is, like, a lot of muscular guys that, do the pull-down bars and stuff. They have huge lats. Guys like Van Damme, Schwarzenegger in his day, Marc Singer. Which then, in turn, makes me think of the Matt Pack, which is, uh, you know, Matt Houston, Matt Lauer, and uh, yeah… What are some other packs? We can keep going and have so much fun… The Bat Pack…

AVC: People who played in Batman movies?

PR: Oh, that's really good. See, I was thinking of Evel Knievel, cause he… Who else would beat somebody up with a bat?

Deberg_1990
11-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Dont forget Paul's unbelievable work in Halloween 6: The Curse of Mike Myers

Baby Lee
11-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Oh, and back on the subject of SNL, tonight is, I believe, the first 2nd generation cast performer on SNL when Abby Elliott, daughter of Chris Elliott, takes her place in the cast.

This along with the hottie Michaela Watkins, most recently seen as Christine's brother's patient/girlfiend on NAoOC.

Watkins on the left, Elliott on the right

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/news/00019860.jpg

Thig Lyfe
11-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Paul Rudd is a badass motherfucker.

Darth CarlSatan
11-15-2008, 02:28 PM
WHEW! Dodged a bullet. I'll admit I haven't seen much of Paul's work; I don't go to the movies very often.

I'll check him out on SNL tonight though.

For a brief moment, I thought we we're talking about one of these two clowns:

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn182/lightbringerrr/TheirRoyalDouchienesses.png

Spicy McHaggis
11-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Anchorman (Brian Fantana)
Knocked Up
New movie out called Role Models
Object of my affection
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Phoebe's love interest in Friends
40 yr old virgin

Bunch of other indie comedies, etc.

Wet Hot American Summer

The whole movie oozes awesomity

LocoChiefsFan
11-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Role Models was hilarious.

Blindside58
11-15-2008, 03:20 PM
I figured I'd also mention that he is a huge Chiefs fan and narrated the Hard Knocks for the Chiefs...if anyone didn't already know that.

Darth CarlSatan
11-15-2008, 03:25 PM
That pic of Brodie is AWESOME!

Thig Lyfe
11-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Wet Hot American Summer

The whole movie oozes awesomity

Agreed.

Fruit Ninja
11-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Paul Rudd is a badass mother****er.

Yep, i will be watching. I am a fan of his.

Phobia
11-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Oh, and back on the subject of SNL, tonight is, I believe, the first 2nd generation cast performer on SNL when Abby Elliott, daughter of Chris Elliott, takes her place in the cast.

This along with the hottie Michaela Watkins, most recently seen as Christine's brother's patient/girlfiend on NAoOC.

That is some amazing news right there. Seriously, I'm thinking of putting a blurb into my paper about it. Might be fun, who knows?

KChiefs1
11-15-2008, 04:24 PM
I figured I'd also mention that he is a huge Chiefs fan and narrated the Hard Knocks for the Chiefs...if anyone didn't already know that.

He is in the celebrity fantasy football league on the NFL Network too. Definitely a Chiefs fan!:clap:

Deberg_1990
11-15-2008, 04:25 PM

Chris Elliott has a hot a funny daughter?? Amazing.

"Bob" Dobbs
11-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Chris Elliott has a hot a funny daughter?? Amazing.Considering he was neither.

CHENZ A!
11-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Chris Elliott's daughter.. really?

also, I think Ryan Reynolds is funny as hell. Stiffler not so much

Sully
11-15-2008, 04:33 PM
I'm a fan of Ryan Reynolds.

Thig Lyfe
11-15-2008, 06:04 PM
He is in the celebrity fantasy football league on the NFL Network too. Definitely a Chiefs fan!:clap:

He narrated Hard Knocks.

KcMizzou
11-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Role Models was hilarious.I've heard that a lot. Honestly, it surprises me a bit.

I'll have to check it out.

Thig Lyfe
11-15-2008, 06:08 PM
I've heard that a lot. Honestly, it surprises me a bit.

I'll have to check it out.

Surprises me NONE. David Wain, Ken Marino and Paul Rudd are involved, fer chrissakes. Not to mention McLovin and the eerily talented Bobb'e'e' J. Anybody who has watched Human Giant knows what that kid is capable of.

KcMizzou
11-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Surprises me NONE. David Wain, Ken Marino and Paul Rudd are involved, fer chrissakes. Not to mention McLovin and the eerily talented Bobb'e'e' J. Anybody who has watched Human Giant knows what that kid is capable of.I'd have watched for Rudd, at some point. The trailers didn't impress me much... but word of mouth has me sold.

(Never saw Human Giant)

Thig Lyfe
11-15-2008, 06:12 PM
If these promos are any indication, tonight's going to be great.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/491f72b44978499c/4741e3c5156499a7/14a46b77/-cpid/bce890196a7ca79a" id="W4727a250e66f9723491f72b44978499c" width="384" height="283"><param name="movie" value="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/491f72b44978499c/4741e3c5156499a7/14a46b77/-cpid/bce890196a7ca79a" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /></object>

The Jon Hamm (Mad Men) episode was one of the best in the last decade. It would be great to have another top-notch episode.

People like to trash SNL without having seen any of it for years. While it isn't consistently great, there are almost always bright spots, and some episodes are just as good as anything from any of the show's supposed Golden Ages.

KChiefs1
11-15-2008, 10:07 PM
If these promos are any indication, tonight's going to be great.

It's been pretty good so far...

Thig Lyfe
11-15-2008, 11:34 PM
I liked it. Lots of absurdist shit, which I love. Rudd did very well, although I wish they had given him a bit more to do. He didn't get a chance to really stand out the way Hamm did.

Darth CarlSatan
11-15-2008, 11:38 PM
I liked it. Lots of absurdist shit, which I love. Rudd did very well, although I wish they had given him a bit more to do. He didn't get a chance to really stand out the way Hamm did.

I've got 30 minutes left( I'm one hour behind out west ). So far, I like the 'Painting' thing the best. The 'Road Trip' was pretty funny too.
The Beyonce thing was kind of funny.

Thig Lyfe
11-15-2008, 11:42 PM
I've got 30 minutes left( I'm one hour behind out west ). So far, I like the 'Painting' thing the best. The 'Road Trip' was pretty funny too.
The Beyonce thing was kind of funny.

YES. The Painting digital short was fucking beyond hilarious. It was absurd as hell and had a Mr. Show style to it. Awesome.

Darth CarlSatan
11-15-2008, 11:44 PM
YES. The Painting digital short was fucking beyond hilarious. It was absurd as hell and had a Mr. Show style to it. Awesome.

'Suicide Thing' sucked a butt, but I attribute a lot of that to the fact that SNL just doesn't have a cast anymore...

Sadness...

Thig Lyfe
11-15-2008, 11:53 PM
'Suicide Thing' sucked a butt, but I attribute a lot of that to the fact that SNL just doesn't have a cast anymore...

Sadness...

Actually, I think the cast is pretty solid, talent-wise. The writing is usually to blame for bad sketches and shows. But I think both the cast and writing were pretty good tonight.

Darth CarlSatan
11-16-2008, 12:00 AM
Actually, I think the cast is pretty solid, talent-wise. The writing is usually to blame for bad sketches and shows. But I think both the cast and writing were pretty good tonight.

You know, I've been watching that show since I was a kid, going all the way back to Belushi, Chase, and Akroyd( and NOT re runs mind you, but actually live ).

I remember when they introduced the 'new cast' on stage when all the originals were leaving. I remember Piscapo, Murphy, Julia Louis Dreyfus, and everything beyond that.

When Meadows, Morgan, and Fey were full-time, that was the last cast they had that 'got it done' for me. Oh well, time marches on...

Thig Lyfe
11-16-2008, 12:06 AM
When Meadows, Morgan, and Fey were full-time, that was the last cast they had that 'got it done' for me. Oh well, time marches on...

Yeah, that 1998-2001 era was mostly pretty good. 2002-2004 or so flat-out sucked. What's been disappointing about 2005-now is that they've been so close for so long to entering another golden age, so frequently on the cusp of greatness, and yet haven't quite made that transition. The election helped them a lot this year, but it's not fair to say that was 100% responsible for any good material. Most of the Hamm episode was non-political, and SNL was extremely underwhelming during the 2004 election... so something in the makeup of the cast had to have changed.

Wiig, Hader, Samberg, Sudeikis, Armisen and Forte are all very talented. They just need better-written material, written more frequently.

Darth CarlSatan
11-16-2008, 12:20 AM
Yeah, that 1998-2001 era was mostly pretty good. 2002-2004 or so flat-out sucked. What's been disappointing about 2005-now is that they've been so close for so long to entering another golden age, so frequently on the cusp of greatness, and yet haven't quite made that transition. The election helped them a lot this year, but it's not fair to say that was 100% responsible for any good material. Most of the Hamm episode was non-political, and SNL was extremely underwhelming during the 2004 election... so something in the makeup of the cast had to have changed.

Wiig, Hader, Samberg, Sudeikis, Armisen and Forte are all very talented. They just need better-written material, written more frequently.

It's a good thing the show is still a major vehicle for movies and bands, or they would have never survived the "lean years".
Who knows? Maybe they'll get it back together again.

Fruit Ninja
11-16-2008, 03:02 AM
I rarely watch SNL, but it was funny tonight. The skit with Beyonce and Timberlake being her dancers were freaking hilarious.

Baby Lee
11-16-2008, 07:05 AM
Found something funnier than Wiig's Target Lady, Timberlake doing Wiig's Target Lady.

"Pewpin in a Moanisterry"

eazyb81
11-16-2008, 07:55 AM
I finally realized last night how horribly unfunny SNL is now. Their entire strategy for a sketch is to do a joke, then do it again, and again, and again, in the hope that it weirds out the audience enough to laugh. Seth Meyers is an awful writer.

Lorne Michaels should offer a large equity stake in the show to entice Dave Chappelle to come be the head writer.

Darth CarlSatan
11-16-2008, 01:25 PM
I finally realized last night how horribly unfunny SNL is now. Their entire strategy for a sketch is to do a joke, then do it again, and again, and again, in the hope that it weirds out the audience enough to laugh. Seth Meyers is an awful writer.

Lorne Michaels should offer a large equity stake in the show to entice Dave Chappelle to come be the head writer.

Not a bad idea.

"I'm Rick James, BEEYATCH"! :D

Dayze
11-16-2008, 06:03 PM
Sudeikis also went to the same HS as Rudd (I went to school with Sudeikis; knew of him etc).

Rudd was before my HS tenure

jspchief
11-16-2008, 08:12 PM
Just watched Role Models a few nights ago and it was funny as hell. Maybe it's because my expectations were low, but I really thought it was good.

googlegoogle
11-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Any of you think he visits this board?

DaneMcCloud
11-16-2008, 09:34 PM
He's an incredibly talented actor. Funny as hell.

I can't imagine the amount of tail he got back in HS.

Not much.

He went to Shawnee Mission West and one of my SIL's was good friends with him. Everyone thought he was gay. FTR, she and everyone else was wrong.

He went to KU and was a frat brother with one of my closest friends from high school (we're still close). He's described him as being nice, but he wasn't exactly the class clown or an extrovert. He ran into him down on the Plaza last year before a Chiefs game and they chatted and again, he was very cordial and pleasant.

I've never met him or run into him (he lives in Manhattan) but I've heard he's an extremely nice guy from those who have.

DJJasonp
11-17-2008, 09:37 AM
Not much.

He went to Shawnee Mission West and one of my SIL's was good friends with him. Everyone thought he was gay. FTR, she and everyone else was wrong.

He went to KU and was a frat brother with one of my closest friends from high school (we're still close). He's described him as being nice, but he wasn't exactly the class clown or an extrovert. He ran into him down on the Plaza last year before a Chiefs game and they chatted and again, he was very cordial and pleasant.

I've never met him or run into him (he lives in Manhattan) but I've heard he's an extremely nice guy from those who have.

You're pretty much spot on with this...although I do remember him as quite an extrovert. He had a group of guys (he was one of the creators) that were called the "Vike Studs"....they dressed up like the drill team and did routines at pep rallys/assemblies......mostly in an attempt to poke fun at the drill team....but they were quite funny.

I was in Radio/TV class with Paul....he was always making hilarious videos, "man on the street" interviews, etc..... He was really nice to me (taught me how to edit)...and for as popular as he was - he never had a huge ego from it. Very down to earth guy.

Forensics class (acting) was quite a story....people would get up, do their dramatic scene....then Paul would give his....and blow everyone away. I just remember always going "damn...he's really good".

DaneMcCloud
11-22-2008, 12:27 AM
I finally got around to watching this epi tonight.

Paul did fine.

JT stole the fucking show.

That kid is absolutely amazing.

The voice of Stevie Wonder.

The dance moves of Michael Jackson.

And subtle comedy of...

SUPER talent.

ChiefsCountry
11-22-2008, 12:38 AM

Paul did fine.

JT stole the ****ing show.

And subtle comedy of...

SUPER talent.

The N'Sync thing turns way to many people off on him but he is a damn special talent. This decades Michael Jackson for sure.

DaneMcCloud
11-22-2008, 12:39 AM
The N'Sync thing turns way to many people off on him but he is a damn special talent. This decades Michael Jackson for sure.

Without the child molestation and weirdness.

Besides that, he has a great sense of humor.

He's most certainly, a rare talent.

ChiefsCountry
11-22-2008, 12:51 AM
Without the child molestation and weirdness.

Besides that, he has a great sense of humor.

He's most certainly, a rare talent.

I wasnt talking about the offstage stuff for MJ. But true JT is a rare talent.

DaneMcCloud
11-22-2008, 12:55 AM

I know.

And dude, I have a story or two about that guy...

MJ, not JT (even though I almost punched a paparazzi dude on behalf of JT one morning).

Darth CarlSatan
11-22-2008, 01:18 AM
And dude, I have a story or two about that guy...

MJ, not JT (even though I almost punched a paparazzi dude on behalf of JT one morning).

Paul did fine.

JT stole the fucking show.

And subtle comedy of...

SUPER talent.

:spock::shake:

I am backing the fuck up, turning around slowly, and running my ass as far from this thread as God will allow.

Look, I know I can be an asshole; I freely admit it. But this is just too fuckin' much, even for me.

That's all I'm gonna' say, clicking "unsubscribe"; OUT.

Baby Lee
11-22-2008, 06:36 AM
HBO Family reminded me this morning he was 'Paris' the astronaut suitor in Baz's Romeo and Juliet.

DaneMcCloud
11-22-2008, 09:22 AM
:spock::shake:

I am backing the fuck up, turning around slowly, and running my ass as far from this thread as God will allow.

Look, I know I can be an asshole; I freely admit it. But this is just too fuckin' much, even for me.

That's all I'm gonna' say, clicking "unsubscribe"; OUT.

Whatever.

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't think that JT is a talented dude.

Not only is a very accomplished musician and singer, his acting chops are improving and he's definitely got the comedy thing down.

Not liking him, his music, his dancing, his acting is one thing.

But to not acknowledge that he's a very talented dude is another.

Darth CarlSatan
11-22-2008, 02:18 PM
Whatever.

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't think that JT is a talented dude.

Not only is a very accomplished musician and singer, his acting chops are improving and he's definitely got the comedy thing down.

Not liking him, his music, his dancing, his acting is one thing.

But to not acknowledge that he's a very talented dude is another.

Oh he's talented alright, but to compare him with MJ( and I'll even remove the ENTIRE 80's, 90's and Millenium-era )is way over the top.
Unless you're just talking about popularity, in which case I will half heartedly agree with you.

Ugh, even broaching this subject has dropped my Superfly Badassness lower than the daily recommended amount; let's get it back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2cHkMwzOiM

Baby Lee
09-11-2009, 03:40 PM

Biiiiitch Please!!

Michaela is out at SNL.

Bad move Lorne.

Raised On Riots
09-11-2009, 03:48 PM
JFC, the bump-age in this motherfucker has been over the top this week.

DA_T_84
09-11-2009, 03:48 PM
Biiiiitch Please!!

Michaela is out at SNL.

Bad move Lorne.

Damnit! She definitely flashed in her rookie season. I wanted to see more.

DaneMcCloud
09-11-2009, 04:05 PM
They cut the one chick because she was fat and wouldn't lose weight, the other because she failed to establish a character.

The new chicks are hot, especially Padmina or whatever her name is.
Posted via Mobile Device

Baby Lee
09-11-2009, 04:08 PM
They cut the one chick because she was fat and wouldn't lose weight, the other because she failed to establish a character.

The new chicks are hot, especially Padmina or whatever her name is.
Posted via Mobile Device

Casey and SNL have both said this is nonsense.

Oh, and Angie Tempura rawked, and Hoda Kotb was good if for no other reason than for a foil for Wiig's KLG.

Oh oh, and it's Nasim Pedrad

What's scary about Connecticut, losing your tennis racket at Pottery Barn Biiitttch Puleeeeaaase.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/4aaacb26677b4d5d/4aa157cf854c3569/6f1953c9/-cpid/5f84ec1216d1d1b2" id="W4727a250e66f97234aaacb26677b4d5d" width="384" height="283"><param name="movie" value="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/4aaacb26677b4d5d/4aa157cf854c3569/6f1953c9/-cpid/5f84ec1216d1d1b2" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /></object>