PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Nick throws Herm under the bus, and sadly doesn't follow

Count Alex's Losses
11-16-2008, 07:22 PM
Hell has frozen over.

http://kan.scout.com/2/812488.html

<table><tbody><tr><td valign="top">Late in the third quarter Sunday, the Chiefs’ defense failed to make a statement. And on two occasions of their own, Kansas City's offense failed to deliver touchdowns after first-and-goal opportunities from inside the five-yard line. Those failures occurred once again because of poor play calling on offense and bad tackling.
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">
Everyone felt this was a game Kansas City could win. The Saints came into this contest limping in the NFC South with their playoff hopes on the brink of extinction. The Chiefs felt after three rough losses in a row where one play separated them from winning, that this would be the game to break their losing streak.

But with an inconsistent offense and a poor defense, plus a terrible showing from the special teams, it’s not hard to figure out Sunday’s outcome.

Most frustrating, again, was the offensive playing calling from Chan Gailey. He has designed a wonderful offense for quarterback Tyler Thigpen, but fed the ball to Larry Johnson in the red zone twice, and it prevented the Chiefs from scoring touchdowns instead of field goals.

Though the Chiefs scored twice on fade routes to wide receiver Dwayne Bowe (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3698848), Gailey had Thigpen throw that fade pattern on virtually every pass near the goal line. By not spreading the ball out more, it limited an offense that had run so well the last three weeks.

Gailey deserves a world of credit for changing the offense, but he had little choice based on Thigpen’s ability and his lack of NFL experience.

On defense, Gunther Cunningham simply doesn’t have the horses to field a defense that can win football games or make big stops in the fourth quarter. The Chiefs were forced to sit back and react instead of attacking Sunday, and unlike last week against San Diego, it would not have made a difference against Drew Brees (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3668792).

Without any type of pass rush, this defense can’t compete. It’s unfair to ask two inexperienced linebackers to cover wide receivers, and the Chiefs can’t press cover on the outside because they aren’t physical enough in the trenches. The corners are forced to play off the receivers.

But the most glaring mistake Sunday came courtesy of Head Coach Herm Edwards, who opted not to attempt a short fourth down with 10 minutes left. It sent up a white flag to the Saints.

Edwards put the game in the hands of his defense, which is under manned, and that was the deciding moment in the game.

The blame game will be in full force this week, and you have to wonder why the Chiefs continue to lose close games. Sure, some of it is on the players, but why not trust the strength of your football team instead of hoping the weak link will do something it’s not been able to do all season long?

Three To Remember

WR Dwayne Bowe - He had the first two-touchdown game of his career and continues to be one of the bright spots for this offense. If Mark Bradley maintains his level of play, the Chiefs can scratch adding a wide receiver in the draft. Bowe’s ability to step up when the Chiefs need him most is remarkable. Thigpen threw plenty of fade patterns to Bowe Sunday - many that were uncatchable - but I’d like to see the Chiefs use his abilities more on crossing patterns. Bowe has erased any question about a sophomore slump and is emerging as one of the game’s best young receivers.

QB Tyler Thigpen - This was not his best game. For the first time in three weeks he looked mortal at times. He overthrew a few receivers, and the drops didn’t help his stat line whatsoever, but he didn’t have the same zip in his throws as he did the last few weeks. That could be nothing more than having an off day. Still, his off day is better than any other day a Chiefs quarterback has had this year.

CB Brandon Carr (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3724379) - This was his best game as a Chief. As the only cornerback on the field in position to break up passes play after play, he came back strong after a down game against San Diego last Sunday. That’s good to see and the experience he’s getting this year can’t be measured until next year, but he’s a good one. In the offseason he should get stronger, as he needs to be more physical in stopping the run.

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <script> var premiumFlag = 0; </script> <!--end STORY DISPLAY-->

theultimatekcchiefsfan
11-16-2008, 07:50 PM
But the most glaring mistake Sunday came courtesy of Head Coach Herm Edwards, who opted not to attempt a short fourth down with 10 minutes left. It sent up a white flag to the Saints.

Edwards put the game in the hands of his defense, which is under manned, and that was the deciding moment in the game.

The blame game will be in full force this week, and you have to wonder why the Chiefs continue to lose close games. Sure, some of it is on the players, but why not trust the strength of your football team instead of hoping the weak link will do something itís not been able to do all season long?

:doh!: I cant believe that Herm continues to make these same calls week after week.

Reerun_KC
11-16-2008, 07:52 PM
:doh!: I cant believe that Herm continues to make these same calls week after week.

Why? He has his whole career, nothing has changed... The offense can and is still Hermcuffed at times...

Guru
11-16-2008, 07:55 PM
:doh!: I cant believe that Herm continues to make these same calls week after week. Quite a few new about this flaw of his before he was hired.

Deberg_1990
11-16-2008, 08:00 PM
Why? He has his whole career, nothing has changed... The offense can and is still Hermcuffed at times...

Its why he will never win anything and at best remain a 9-7, 10-6 coach. At best.

Phobia
11-16-2008, 08:01 PM
I didn't miss these threads for the past 7 days. Please make some more bets.

dj56dt58
11-16-2008, 08:02 PM
doesn't somebody actually have to read your shit to be able to throw someone under the bus?

Zouk
11-16-2008, 08:04 PM
He punted to the SD 10 with 4 minutes left last week down 7 and got the ball back. With the same players. This was 10 minutes left down 7 and the Saints had just gone 3 and out on their last series.

I can see it going either way.

Brock
11-16-2008, 08:05 PM
doesn't somebody actually have to read your shit to be able to throw someone under the bus?

23 subscribers is nothing to sneeze at.

milkman
11-16-2008, 08:05 PM
He punted to the SD 10 with 4 minutes left last week down 7 and got the ball back. With the same players. This was 10 minutes left down 7 and the Saints had just gone 3 and out on their last series.

Yeah, cause the defense played so well today.

The Bad Guy
11-16-2008, 08:13 PM

Shocking.

Count Alex's Losses
11-16-2008, 08:22 PM

It wasn't 4th and 2 in San Diego. Also, our defense had actually shown signs of stopping the Chargers from time to time.

Reerun_KC
11-16-2008, 08:26 PM

Awe isnt this cute!

FringeNC
11-16-2008, 08:30 PM

Do you actually believe the chance of us stopping them was higher than the chance of making a 4th and 2? The stats show under normal circumstances you should go for it there -- but when your D is banged up and going against the #1 offense in the league? Then it's epic fail.

Come on, don't try to defend this idiocy. Sure, there a quite a few dinosaurs like Herm who would have done the same thing, but that doesn't make it a good decision.

the Talking Can
11-16-2008, 08:38 PM
why did i know zouk would be here telling us all how great herm is?

Zouk
11-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Do you actually believe the chance of us stopping them was higher than the chance of making a 4th and 2?

Like I said - I think it's close. But when you start from your own 10 on the road in the 4th quarter the odds of scoring are not that good - even good O vs. bad D. Plus the Saints went 3 and out the last possesion.

I'm also pretty sure Bowe was not on the field on 3rd down. I'm not sure if that factored in.

If the Chiefs had a decent D and were competitive to me it's no brainer punt. With our current situation, I think it can go either way. 10 minutes is a lot of clock left and the Chiefs still had all their timeouts.

Count Alex's Losses
11-16-2008, 08:46 PM
10 minutes is a lot of clock left and the Chiefs still had all their timeouts.

It's not a matter of clock. It's a matter of letting the Saints go up 2 scores.

Reerun_KC
11-16-2008, 08:47 PM
It's not a matter of clock. It's a matter of letting the Saints go up 2 scores.

Thank you!

The Bad Guy
11-16-2008, 08:49 PM
Do you Herm apologists just love to play devil's advocate or do you really believe the shit you type?

Coach
11-16-2008, 08:49 PM

Nah.

NO's Offense > SD's offense

If this was the Chargers, I may punt it, as their offense isn't explosive as the Saint's offense. Also, the Chiefs Defense did have trouble stopping the Saints, especially on 3rd and longs. The Chiefs didn't had too much trouble stopping the Chargers, as they were also winning the TO battle. They had what, 3 TO's during that game or what?

My point being, if your defense is # 32nd for a reason, and if you are going aganist a #1 offense in the NFL, and you got a 4th and 2, down by seven, you gotta go for it. Because if you punt it, the odds of them getting points is very good. Plus, the Chiefs are 1-8, so what the heck do you have to lose anyways, if you went for it?

Coach
11-16-2008, 08:52 PM
You know, we can argue on the "Should we have gone for it in 4th down?" all day until the cows come home, but I think people are also forgetting this.

If Bradley would have caught that 3rd and 2, which was clearly past the first down marker, and the throw was perfect, right between the numbers, we wouldn't be having this discussion. The drops was a problem for this team today.

Reerun_KC
11-16-2008, 08:54 PM
You know, we can argue on the "Should we have gone for it in 4th down?" all day until the cows come home, but I think people are also forgetting this.

If Bradley would have caught that 3rd and 2, which was clearly past the first down marker, and the throw was perfect, right between the numbers, we wouldn't be having this discussion. The drops was a problem for this team today.

Get the Bus warmed up, Bradley will be Herms sacrifical lamb!

FringeNC
11-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Like I said - I think it's close. But when you start from your own 10 on the road in the 4th quarter the odds of scoring are not that good - even good O vs. bad D. Plus the Saints went 3 and out the last possesion.

I'm also pretty sure Bowe was not on the field on 3rd down. I'm not sure if that factored in.

If the Chiefs had a decent D and were competitive to me it's no brainer punt. With our current situation, I think it can go either way. 10 minutes is a lot of clock left and the Chiefs still had all their timeouts.

I think I've figured it out -- you Herm supporters support Herm because you actually like the risk-averse, establish the run, play-not-to-lose football.

Bill Parcells
11-16-2008, 08:59 PM
why did i know zouk would be here telling us all how great herm is?

Because Cheifzilla isn't logged in? :shrug:

Coach
11-16-2008, 09:08 PM
Because Cheifzilla isn't logged in? :shrug:

You're the Jet fan, Bill Parcells guy, weren't you, before the name changes?

milkman
11-16-2008, 09:09 PM

Way to keep up there, coach.

Reerun_KC
11-16-2008, 09:10 PM

You cant slip one past the ol coach..

blueballs
11-16-2008, 09:27 PM
better put on the chains
could get thick and slick

Fruit Ninja
11-16-2008, 09:30 PM
Last week the Defense has some fight in them. This week? they didnt have a damn thing. We got lucky with the interception. Brees just made a really bad throw.

Bill Parcells
11-17-2008, 07:35 AM

Yep

King_Chief_Fan
11-17-2008, 07:55 AM

His decision to put the game in the hands of defense is idiotic beyond all compare. It was a no brainer, go for the first down.

Bill Parcells
11-17-2008, 07:59 AM

I'm his 3rd in command in Germ Warfare and he doesn't even know who the fuck I am? I should have been vetted.

ROFL

mlyonsd
11-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Seemed kind of erratic to me going for two last week but not 4th and 1 yesterday.

KCFalcon59
11-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Plus the Saints went 3 and out the last possesion.

They went 3 and out because they dropped 2 passes in those 3 plays. It had nothing to do with our defense stopping them.